Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

View Poll Results: Sistas, how do you normally dress, and Brothas, how do you prefer to see your Sistas?

Voters
    45. You may not vote on this poll
    • half-naked, with painted on jeans

1 2.22%
    • casual american clothes but not half-naked

15 33.33%
    • business-like attire

4 8.89%
    • casual, colorful dresses

11 24.44%
    • flowing, bright Afrikan gowns (with or without head-dress)

25 55.56%
    • Islamic attire, head covered

5 11.11%
    Multiple Choice Poll.
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      Mtangulizi is offline The Die-Hard Afrikan

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Exclamation Female "Dress Code"; Congo

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Uhuru Beloved Afrikan Sistas and Brothas,

Last night I caught maybe five minutes of some show on WBAI (99.5FM NYC) that was about women's rape experiences, and one sista who was a victim shared an issue she had with a health teacher she had in school. She said this health teacher, who was a woman, was advising girls to be responsible about how they dress, lest they invite trouble, i.e. unwanted eyes. I was like, yeah, no dah. (Am I wrong? Lemme know if I'm wrong.)

The sista, who had already been a victim, took serious issue with this. She complained to the principal about the teacher, accusing the teacher of implying it's essentially a woman's fault if she's raped because she dressed in a way that makes her somehow "rapeable." (as far as I know, the teacher didn't say that; this was inferred from the victim)

Now of course I don't go that far. That's ridiculous! Of course a man who rapes someone is the only criminal and should be severely punished; the woman is innocent! But I don't see why any ordinary sista, maybe a sista who wasn't a victim, would see it as so foul that a health teacher would recommend sistas to be more modest in how they dress when going out, so as to avoid unwanted attention.

Is it related to being a "liberated woman" that young girls think they can go around half-naked everywhere, even when it's cold, and wear painted on jeans and the like? The whole way girls carry and dress themselves nowadays frankly disgusts me. Matter of fact, painted-on jeans are supposedly a big cause of the recent rise in yeast infections, since no oxygen can get to vaginal areas, and thus, especially when it's warm, sweat can build up and bacteria can flourish in that air-tight, suffocating environment). In full disclosure, I'm not a prude, though I am considered very socially conservative by some, although politically I'm the baddest "commie nigga" there is. I believe patriarchy must be destroyed and is dying out in the world, I believe in the Kemetic way of God and Goddess side by side in the world, in matriarchy, in the principle of woman seeking and having self-determination and freedom within the overall black struggle. I believe in freedom and equality with women, in choice, in the liberation of women from male domination. I believe in more female leadership and charge in liberation and revolution.

But in my war against Western culture and permissiveness, I take issue with what I see in the streets and pretty much anywhere else, and ask sistas, don't y'all have any goddamn self-respect?

Where do y'all learn to dress? (I'm sounding accusatory on purpose) I contend that Afrikan sistas don't naturally seek to dress like sluts. The Kemetic Queens had on beautiful gowns; the color and shape of women's Afrikan dress today bedazzles my eye.

But in a place like NYC where I live everything is hypersexual. Just stare up and you will see sex and half-naked women somewhere, on a billboard, in the subway ads, in the train, on the side of a payphone booth, you can't escape it. Not watching TV or listening to pop-music is not enough, you just gotta cope with all the mess. The white man's vices and addictions are everywhere, beer and liquor, sex-as-marketing-weapon, cigarettes, big fast cars and SUVs, fast-food and meat, video games, tax and banking/ financial services, an ad for everything you don't need, and usually sex and some half-naked blonde in all of this mess.

So I'm not trying to be Islamic about this, I'm just feeling like things are out of hand. To return to my original example, I say, well, there IS merit to not always being in the most revealing sorts of clothing, not in the sort of Western sick society we live in. On top of this, not walking around half-naked alone late at night. Come on! When sistas go out half-naked with painted-on jeans, they get all uncomfortable when men start looking at them, you see them trying to pull their tight shirt over their butt-crack or navel because men be ogling and drooling. Why invite this sort of unwanted, uncomfortable attention all the time?

Man, I see latina chicks with their latino men sometimes, and stroller(!), and the way he got his woman dressed you'd think he was her pimp, walking her to the bordello!

I'm a man, though I try to operate in the cleanest ways; even I sometimes can't help but steal a look at the half-naked ladies out there when you walk the streets of New York City. I try to be stealth-like about it, just take a quick glance and look away quick, but still sometimes my mind is like "DAMN!" And I gotta check myself. I don't ever go out in jeans, though; I associate blue-jeans with everything I hate about American pop-culture, haven't worn a pair in over three years. I wear conservative sorts of clothes mostly, the sort of thing you might see on NOI brothas but slightly more casual, no T-shirts though, a little style, and faux-leather office-type shoes (quality ones I get at this vegan shoe store on the LowerEastSide). Anyway, aside from my hair, a medium-sized Afro that looks a little messy sometimes, I dress the sort of way where I could walk into libraries, office buildings, police stations without too much notice, so as to engage in study, espionage, etc.

The point is, I think dress and style is something to be taken seriously by conscious brothas and sistas, and for sistas, and speaking only as a concerned brotha, not someone trying to be controlling or dictatorial or patriarchal, I just wish it wasn't such a free-for-all out there. I admonish sloppily dressed brothas, too, but sistas, it could be straight-up dangerous to dress like slutty white girls!

ON THE OTHER HAND, I know that sistas in Afrika and indigenous women elsewhere in the tropics, as in South America and the Pacific Islands, in some traditional societies, go around naked - topless, that is. Even in the part of Nigeria my family is from (not every woman). You've seen that one National Geographic video in public high school they show us on that one day they teach something about Afrika.

However I think this exists in a totally different cultural context from the promiscuous, hyper-sexual, nothing-sacred Western society where men are conditioned to think like predatory beasts, where couples don't treat sex as the sacred act it is. Being topless in a traditional context doesn't present men with the same kind of eye-candy it would in the streets of New York or Brick City.

So all I'm saying is, beware where we're getting our dress code from. Some folk who are ultra-conscious wear Afrikan clothing everyday; I wish I could afford to do that. But the BET music video dress code is not one of spirituality, the sanctity of the body-temple, and self-respect. It is not part of being a "liberated woman" or feminist, in my onion. It doesn't engender respect for a woman's body in the eyes of most men and others. So as conscious people, we need to move around, and dress, with some style and grace and beauty, that's all. This half-naked MTV girls-gone-wild business is truly making me sick. I don't want to see my own sistas looking like that. The culture war is ON, even if you live in a sick commercialized nothing-sacred shitty-city like New York.

-------------

One last thing, I read this article yesterday from the April 1 2006 edition of Harper's Magazine, on the Congo:
      http://www.fcaea.org/index.php?optio...d=115&Itemid=1
      This article is powerful. It's written by a white journalist, there's a little tinge of some of the "Heart of Darkness" kind of writing, but still the article gave me a nightmare last night. It's a long article, 16 pages in the magazine, I needed a good 90 minutes to sit and read it at Brooklyn Public Library (central library) yesterday. The print version also has very interesting, striking photos.

I feel like, if Congo is the biggest ghetto in the world, 10,000,000 times more troublesome than East New York, Crown Heights or Greenville JC, I don't know how the Afrikan can be peaceful in the heart. Congo and the Great Lakes, Uganda, Sudan, that's the heart of Afrika, so it is also the heart of the Afrikan; Haiti in a way too. The most important lands of black peoples. We in the Niger Delta point to the Congo as our origin. Congolese look like family members, as do Hatians. It's high time we set up a serious Pan-Afrikan, Universal Afrikan Army that can get some serious work done, march on Khartoum, take care of business, protect Afrikans everywhere.

Uhuru!

Thumbs Up/Down

I hear you..but now, they want school girls in TAGO to shave their hair!

Alaafia! Peace and Blessings: I agree with many of your points before mentioned. I also believe that often dress reflects more of our belief systems than we often want to admit to in this culture. For years I've said that mixed signals are being sent out when we say that we've obtained 'consciousness' but dont look at our outward apperance and the message it sends to others about who we really are. I love the Nation and the Minister but i've always questioned why they choose the "european suit" and the bowtie. I understand some people in so-called proffessional positions are 'required' to dress a certain way, but ultimately who do we represent? I also have issue with so-called religious folk who wear free advertising for wealthy white folk by wearing Hilfiger, Proda and various other europeans who dont give a care about the survival of you and your people. Just as deplorable as the "hooch" attire is the "thugism' and 'sagging' with the brothers. We have glorified crimminality and 'prisonism' by making these forms of dress the accepted norm now. So when we say a scantly dressed sister invites harm, do we also say a brother with his 'drawers' showing invites just as much harm? (It was actually made illegal in a city near New Orleans just before Hurrican Katrina but I dont think they ever really found a way to enforce it.) How long will most brothers continue to wear baseball caps for teams Black people still cant own? When you see the preacher on TV and the politician on the news, aren't they dressed in alike attire? When you see 'gospel' videos, BET and MTV...they look and now sound alot alike to me. And where are the lines to be drawn since we WILL be judged on what we look like and are wearing in this country? OK, so now they're demanding school girls in Tago West Africa to shave their heads...A few weeks ago, the education minister urged more moderation in girls' dress and hairstyles in the classroom.
      State schools have been accused of acting overzealously by insisting girls have their hair cropped so close.
      "I'm angry, I don't want to shave my hair but I have to if I want to resume class," 17-year-old Tina Djobe said.
      Schools blame the distraction of fashion for girls' low academic record.
      "They must know how to organise themselves and use their time in order to succeed in their studies instead of wasting their time - three hours, sometimes days - with their hair," said Madame Olympio, a teacher at Lycee Nyekonakpoe in the capital, Lome.
      "Girls' success rates are lower than boys'," she said.
      Pupils from both junior and senior schools have been affected by the schools' ruling and hairdressers in the capital have been doing swift business since.
      But some girls have been refusing to return to class because they do not want to lose their locks.
      The decision has been a big topic of discussion in the capital, with opinions deeply divided.
      One parent said he thought it unfair to pick on girls in this way and that the root cause of underachievement was not being tackled.
      Another, however, gave his full support to the move.
      "They must shave their hair. The government should even legislate on this," he said.
      But Difernand Dossou, the president of the students' and parents' association, said schools had misinterpreted the minister's words and that forcing girls to shave their heads was a step too far.
      Only state schools are insisting on the head shaving and one girl told me she would now opt to go to a private school rather than take a trip to the hairdressers.

The first step to preparation is knowledge. Peace and Be, Blessed, ASHE!

Neter Het Ur.
      House of the Divine Prince

Escobar is offline sharecropper

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Mtangulizi
      Uhuru Beloved Afrikan Sistas and Brothas,

Last night I caught maybe five minutes of some show on WBAI (99.5FM NYC) that was about women's rape experiences, and one sista who was a victim shared an issue she had with a health teacher she had in school. She said this health teacher, who was a woman, was advising girls to be responsible about how they dress, lest they invite trouble, i.e. unwanted eyes. I was like, yeah, no dah. (Am I wrong? Lemme know if I'm wrong.)
      there is a direct corelation between dress and the number of rapes in society...

Mahmoud Siddiqi is offline Be-Headed

Thumbs Up/Down

Islamic attire prevents many crimes of the soul and of the physical sense.

If you have a diamond and a regular rock, which one do you want to protect and cover? The diamond. In Islam we view women as diamonds, not just another rock. We do not want men to gaze or fantasize about women and neither do the women, so the women cover the parts of themselves that may be tempting for men to look at.
      Last edited by Mahmoud Siddiqi; 05-06-2006 at 04:03 PM.

QueenWarriorNefertari is offline QUEEN CYNEQUA

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmoud Siddiqi
      Islamic attire prevents many crimes of the soul and of the physical sense.

If you have a diamond and a regular rock, which one do you want to protect and cover? The diamond. In Islam we view women as diamonds, not just another rock. We do not want men to gaze or fantasize about women and neither do the women, so the women cover the parts of themselves that may be tempting for men to look at.
      I hear you and agree on women being precious (more than diamonds, just rocks too), and I am never for Sisters being half-naked for anyone not privy to their bodies intimately -- but, why are my Muslim Sisters made to alter their dress/way instead of the Muslim Brothers, or any men, being educated and lead to better actions (i.e. Self Control)?

I am humble and open to seriously receiving your knowledge.
      Black Beyond Belief
      QUEEN BE AFROHEMIAN.

Mahmoud Siddiqi is offline Be-Headed

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Cynequa
      I hear you and agree on women being precious (more than diamonds, just rocks too), and I am never for Sisters being half-naked for anyone not privy to their bodies intimately -- but, why are my Muslim Sisters made to alter their dress/way instead of the Muslim Brothers, or any men, being educated and lead to better actions (i.e. Self Control)?

I am humble and open to seriously receiving your knowledge.

Men should also wear clothes that do not show much skin because as we all know, women also look at mens bodies. BUT it is known to all that men have these sexual thoughts and thoughts about women's bodies generally more than women. Men also will usually ACT more on those thoughts than women.

You can educate the brothers about how it is wrong to have these thoughts, about manners, and so on, but those thoughts will still, most likely, still exist. It is simply in the man's nature.

The manners that the Prophet Muhammad and Allah set for us DO prevent many sexual thoughts/actions, but we are all still human and have many imperfections.

niayaa is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I personally changed the way I dressed when I had my first sun. Spirit told me to change so my youth would see a Nubian Queen as their first image of wombman. I feel how we look on the outside represents how we feel about ourselves on the inside, especially in this country because we have so many choices, unlike our people in other countries. The beast has put so much emphasis on our lower chakra in the music, tv, advertising, etc so we will not develop and live on the higher vibrations (chakras).

We must first heal ourselves, then our families, and then we will see true repair-ations in our community.

Peace and Many Blessings
      Sis Nia Yaa

Thumbs Up/Down

Wink

Modesty in dress and behavior is required in Islam for both men and women to preserve the values of society and move the emphasis from superificial appearance to intelligence, knowledge, and God.

Sexuality which is a nature instinct in the human being is exploited by the avaricious system. It is here that sexuality and the sexual difference between man and woman, which in spiritual cultures are the reflection of God's grace and wisdom are exploited as means of brisking up the market of capitalist economy. That is which in a spiritual culture is the cause of tranquility and repose, becomes a means for imflaming the furnace of passions and desires when placed in the hands of human beings divorced from spirituality...

A woman, who merely is regarded as flesh and body must consume and be consumed, and it is this must which determines the shape and style of her clothing. Womankind is the most oppressed victim of western capitalism and the sharpest weapon at its disposal....
      Last edited by Escobar; 05-09-2006 at 02:02 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

Arrow i chose afrikan tradional dress

greetings sisters,as an afrikan traditionalist and practioner of afrikan spirituality,i would love to see my sister,womb of the earth,dressed in afrikan tradtional dresses with or without headwraps( preferrably head wraps)
      kwame nkhruma always wore his traditional dress when he spoke asa sign of cultural pride and honour,afrikan traditions across alkebulan,have many colorful dresses and customs.
      it is very important,for men and women to view their body as their sacred temples,and because of this western society dont teach such value and habits,it generates such things as sexual predators,i agree with u escobar,avarice is the mother of all vices,we have young women,looking at those video hoes and thinking,hmm why cant i be like dem" it starts with the family and how we raise our young children because we have to be the change we want the world to be,home should bea mirror, home is small microscopic world,because each home is a world anda child will display in the world outside what he or she learned at home.
      western world is place void with the absence of good,cutlural,spiritual and moral values,it turns around materialistic comsuption,where young kids learn
      that we are what we are worth and not what we are inside,i am perplexed when i heat that women here in toronto will only date guys with cars,and i keep wondering... what values have the mothers of those girls have instirred on dem, and believe me,lotta of people here are black kristians,most of the afro saxons,here in toronto
      like an wise afrikan mentioned" we can go left,we can go right,or back wards,eventually,we will return to the center" doctor fukiau,from the cosmology of the bantu kongo

sotito! sododo! soora masika!
      " perform truth,perform righteousness,perform kindness and avoid cruelty!"

Nipa nye abe dua na ne ho ahyia ne ho. Or, Se mmerenkensono si ne ti ase a, na ewo dea asase reka kyere no. Also, Nnua nyinaa bewu agya abe.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmoud Siddiqi
      Men should also wear clothes that do not show much skin because as we all know, women also look at mens bodies. BUT it is known to all that men have these sexual thoughts and thoughts about women's bodies generally more than women. Men also will usually ACT more on those thoughts than women.

You can educate the brothers about how it is wrong to have these thoughts, about manners, and so on, but those thoughts will still, most likely, still exist. It is simply in the man's nature.

The manners that the Prophet Muhammad and Allah set for us DO prevent many sexual thoughts/actions, but we are all still human and have many imperfections.
      Indeed. You speak truth I was thinking about, but wanted the thoughts/learnings of someone who is truly Islam. Regardless of how Divine we strive to be... we are Human. Though Beautifully.

Salaam Brother.
      Black Beyond Belief
      QUEEN BE AFROHEMIAN.

5602 is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Here is a link to some rape prevention info.

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanx BRO!!!

I really needed that link!!!

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs up mind over matter!

queen nequa! how are u doing sis!

i think,we have mastered ourselves when we can conquer ourselves,as for me,
      women that is dressed properly,well covered and dont show the cevices and parts of her body,is well respected,the woman that shows off her body,have no respect for herself no her body,because we live in society that is void of spiritual,moral and cultural values,some women will wear tight clothes and show off their bodies,women wearing afrikan traditional attire and is well covered shows to me,that she respects herself and her body as temple of the divine
      it is cycle of energy,what you put out in the universe will come back to you,
      if you put out negative energy,negative energy will come back twice as bad,
      because every action is equal to an opposite reaction( may be i got it wrong)
      if a person shows and demand respect, she will gain respect,actions speaks louder than words,like my grandmother always says" a woman is nota woman,because she wears make up and clothes,what determines is her action,thoughts and attitudes" it is how we carry ourserlves,in public and way from the public

sotito! sododo! soora masika!
      " perform truth,perform righteousness,perform kindness and avoid cruelty!"

Nipa nye abe dua na ne ho ahyia ne ho. Or, Se mmerenkensono si ne ti ase a, na ewo dea asase reka kyere no. Also, Nnua nyinaa bewu agya abe.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Kweku_Omowale
      queen nequa! how are u doing sis!

...women wearing afrikan traditional attire and is well covered shows to me,that she respects herself and her body as temple of the divine

...my grandmother always says" a woman is nota woman,because she wears make up and clothes,what determines is her action,thoughts and attitudes" it is how we carry ourserlves,in public and way from the public
      peace kweku!!! i am divinely peaceful, brother. medase pa for asking.

indeed on both points you've made!!! give thanks for sharing your grandmama's words too. my elders know best for me as a sacred wombman.

ase.
      Black Beyond Belief
      QUEEN BE AFROHEMIAN.

IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Escobar
      there is a direct corelation between dress and the number of rapes in society...
      yes, western and arabic socieites. there is no coorelation in TRADITIONAL AFRIKAN, NATIVE AMERICAN AND ASIAN communities between nakedness and rape when these communities do not adhere to white or arabic cultural values.
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information