Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    View Poll Results: Can a woman liberate the enslaved mind of a man?

    Voters
    22. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

      13 59.09%
    • No

      4 18.18%
    • Maybe

      3 13.64%
    • Don't Know

      2 9.09%
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 15 of 37
    1. #1
      BlackQueen's Avatar
      BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Baltimore,Maryland
      Posts
      1,604
      Blog Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      198

      Can a Woman teach a enslaved man to be a warrior?


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      I was reading Asafo:A Warrior's Guide to Manhood by Mwalimu Baruti,and it made me wonder if an Afrikan woman can liberate a enslaved man to be a powerful warrior. Is it possible that patience and strong Black love can liberate our men from the invisible mental and physical chains of slavery?
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empire—so strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

    2. #2
      Elisa Keisha's Avatar
      Elisa Keisha is offline Moderator

      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      Barcelona (Spain)
      Posts
      4,106
      Blog Entries
      6
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      417

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      In my opinion, anybody, with the right tools and the good intentions and liberate a enslaved mind. If love is involved its even better, cause unconditional love and patience will be needed in the process.

      Elisa Marvena Nyarai




      SANKOFA Asociación Cultural
      www.myspace.com/sankofacultura
      http://sankofacultura.blogspot.com

    3. #3
      rebelAfrika's Avatar
      rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Location
      Conakry, Guinea
      Posts
      5,324
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      486

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackQueen View Post
      I was reading Asafo:A Warrior's Guide to Manhood by Mwalimu Baruti,and it made me wonder if an Afrikan woman can liberate a enslaved man to be a powerful warrior. Is it possible that patience and strong Black love can liberate our men from the invisible mental and physical chains of slavery?
      Good question. Lemme ask Assata Shakur and I'll get back to you with an answer at a later date.

    4. #4
      Sourakhata's Avatar
      Sourakhata is offline Proud Son of West Afrika

      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      Location
      N'dakaru (SUNU GAAL-Afrika)
      Posts
      1,364
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      252

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Indeed it's a good question! I think it's possible and as stated above by sis' Elisa as far as strong love, patience & selflessness are involved any brainwashed mind can be woken up whether man or woman, cause truth is irresistible! But it depends also on the person's willingness to be taught...
      To my opinion that's why the ideologies we defend have been targeted so ruthlessly for so long by the crakkkaz cause they know the power of truth, they know it can set free!!

      And no matter what game they play
      We got something they could never take away
      And it's the fire (fire), it's the fire (fire)
      That's burning down everything
      Feel that fire (fire), the fire (fire)
      No water could put out this fire (fire)



    5. #5
      Elisa Keisha's Avatar
      Elisa Keisha is offline Moderator

      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      Barcelona (Spain)
      Posts
      4,106
      Blog Entries
      6
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      417

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Mama Assata said a woman cant have no reactionary man... and she's not wrong. however, that would be a different question. We, women and men, but let me say specially men, tend sometimes to feel power in teaching our partners and turning them from *put despective adjetive here* to queens and kings. But that should never be our cause.
      There's nothing better for a woman or man than a partner who is more or less on the same road, same level of "consciousness", so each one teach one proportionetely. But, thats not always the case, and if you find love in a Brother or Sister that is more brainwashed than you (lets not put on the "holier than thou" mask), or if its only your friend or neighbour or cousin, you can always help them see some things, meet some books, check some facts and show them with your example (which should always be your first tool and its the one that works better with any kind of people!)

      Plus, there's something special when this transformation occurs inside a love relationship. In these days we often dismiss our partners quickly because they are economically poor or make the wrong choices. Maybe he drinks too much, gets into fights, cant find a good job, hang around... The real cause of many of those behaviours has root in a history and context he might ignore, and if he is blessed by a conscious partner that chooses to stay by his side, she can make him understand not by fussing but by enlightening him with information and the right example.

      But for some reason, and from what i have seen and experienced, it seems like this is easier if the "conscious" partner is the man. maybe because of the leading roles established...
      what do yall think?

      Anyways, talking about roles, i think we have to be carefull on what kind of roles we want to have in a relationship, you dont want to be the teacher and "mightier" forever, and you dont want to end up screaming "i showed you all you know, without me bahblahblah" kind of crap. So balance is always the key.

      Elisa Marvena Nyarai




      SANKOFA Asociación Cultural
      www.myspace.com/sankofacultura
      http://sankofacultura.blogspot.com

    6. #6
      BlackQueen's Avatar
      BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Baltimore,Maryland
      Posts
      1,604
      Blog Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      198

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      I agree,sista. We must never put on that "holier than thou" mask. We may have more knowledge than some,but it doesn't mean that we should look down our noses on those who have been brainwashed just because we have liberated ourselves and realized the truth.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elisa Keisha View Post
      Mama Assata said a woman cant have no reactionary man... and she's not wrong. however, that would be a different question. We, women and men, but let me say specially men, tend sometimes to feel power in teaching our partners and turning them from *put despective adjetive here* to queens and kings. But that should never be our cause.
      There's nothing better for a woman or man than a partner who is more or less on the same road, same level of "consciousness", so each one teach one proportionetely. But, thats not always the case, and if you find love in a Brother or Sister that is more brainwashed than you (lets not put on the "holier than thou" mask), or if its only your friend or neighbour or cousin, you can always help them see some things, meet some books, check some facts and show them with your example (which should always be your first tool and its the one that works better with any kind of people!)

      Plus, there's something special when this transformation occurs inside a love relationship. In these days we often dismiss our partners quickly because they are economically poor or make the wrong choices. Maybe he drinks too much, gets into fights, cant find a good job, hang around... The real cause of many of those behaviours has root in a history and context he might ignore, and if he is blessed by a conscious partner that chooses to stay by his side, she can make him understand not by fussing but by enlightening him with information and the right example.

      But for some reason, and from what i have seen and experienced, it seems like this is easier if the "conscious" partner is the man. maybe because of the leading roles established...
      what do yall think?

      Anyways, talking about roles, i think we have to be carefull on what kind of roles we want to have in a relationship, you dont want to be the teacher and "mightier" forever, and you dont want to end up screaming "i showed you all you know, without me bahblahblah" kind of crap. So balance is always the key.
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empire—so strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

    7. #7
      Elisa Keisha's Avatar
      Elisa Keisha is offline Moderator

      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      Barcelona (Spain)
      Posts
      4,106
      Blog Entries
      6
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      417

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackQueen View Post
      I agree,sista. We must never put on that "holier than thou" mask. We may have more knowledge than some,but it doesn't mean that we should look down our noses on those who have been brainwashed just because we have liberated ourselves and realized the truth.
      yeah, not only because its wrong and its not reality, but its also contraproductive, its the worst thing you can do to make a intelligent person listen to you.

      Elisa Marvena Nyarai




      SANKOFA Asociación Cultural
      www.myspace.com/sankofacultura
      http://sankofacultura.blogspot.com

    8. #8
      Im The Truth's Avatar
      Im The Truth is offline Organizer

      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      Atlanta, GA by way of Afrika
      Posts
      5,925
      Blog Entries
      11
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 10/1
      Given: 7/0
      Rep Power
      618

      Lightbulb


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackQueen View Post
      I was reading Asafo:A Warrior's Guide to Manhood by Mwalimu Baruti,and it made me wonder if an Afrikan woman can liberate a enslaved man to be a powerful warrior. Is it possible that patience and strong Black love can liberate our men from the invisible mental and physical chains of slavery?

      I think what Baruti is saying is that men are best fit to deal with men issues. He makes this point in many of his books. And I'm glad about it cuz somebody has to write for men and against the effeminization of men. Traditionally there was always a man around who was trained and an Elder in manhood or Asafoship (yes, that’s a new word). Of course this is slowly and VERY unfortunately fading away in ameriKKKa. Prison and marriage rates prove this. So with this being the case in today’s times in ameriKKKa (and wherever else) there has to be some females have to attempt to carry the torch out of sheer necessity. But of course this doesn't negate the fact men are best fit to deal with men issues.

      As far as liberate our men or people from the invisible mental and physical chains of slavery, I’d question this has anything to do with manhood. Neither men nor women have a stronghold liberating minds. Liberating minds has to do with education and action, no more no less.
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré


      "speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

      "Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King


      Get Involved!

    9. #9
      MsLioness's Avatar
      MsLioness is offline Administrator

      Join Date
      Nov 2005
      Location
      Tallahassee
      Posts
      1,164
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      209

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackQueen View Post
      I was reading Asafo:A Warrior's Guide to Manhood by Mwalimu Baruti,and it made me wonder if an Afrikan woman can liberate a enslaved man to be a powerful warrior. Is it possible that patience and strong Black love can liberate our men from the invisible mental and physical chains of slavery?
      I don't believe isolated patience and "strong Black love" can do anything at all.

    10. #10
      BlackQueen's Avatar
      BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Baltimore,Maryland
      Posts
      1,604
      Blog Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      198

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      That's a very cold thing for you to say. Our men need us,as much as we need them.So,you really believe that love and patience can help our men free themselves? Then what will it take?!
      Quote Originally Posted by MsLioness View Post
      I don't believe isolated patience and "strong Black love" can do anything at all.
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empire—so strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

    11. #11
      BlackQueen's Avatar
      BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Baltimore,Maryland
      Posts
      1,604
      Blog Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      198

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      But men should know that they are not alone in self-liberation,brother. A sista can do much for a brother,if she has as much strength in herself,then she can be strong for him. Self-liberation is not easy, it's a long difficult journey to freedom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Im The Truth View Post
      I think what Baruti is saying is that men are best fit to deal with men issues. He makes this point in many of his books. And I'm glad about it cuz somebody has to write for men and against the effeminization of men. Traditionally there was always a man around who was trained and an Elder in manhood or Asafoship (yes, that’s a new word). Of course this is slowly and VERY unfortunately fading away in ameriKKKa. Prison and marriage rates prove this. So with this being the case in today’s times in ameriKKKa (and wherever else) there has to be some females have to attempt to carry the torch out of sheer necessity. But of course this doesn't negate the fact men are best fit to deal with men issues.

      As far as liberate our men or people from the invisible mental and physical chains of slavery, I’d question this has anything to do with manhood. Neither men nor women have a stronghold liberating minds. Liberating minds has to do with education and action, no more no less.
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empire—so strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

    12. #12
      Im The Truth's Avatar
      Im The Truth is offline Organizer

      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      Atlanta, GA by way of Afrika
      Posts
      5,925
      Blog Entries
      11
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 10/1
      Given: 7/0
      Rep Power
      618

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      I always ask myself why aren't these types of threads questioning ever reversed? For example why not, can a man teach a enslaved woman to be a warrior? Or how about can a woman teach a enslaved woman to be a warrior? Or how about can a man teach a enslaved man to be a warrior? Why is it always can a woman [fill in the blank with a challenge] a man? As if there are some kind of hinted limitation in women. I'm incline to believe some of us allow the absurdities of sexism to shape our questions (and answers).
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré


      "speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

      "Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King


      Get Involved!

    13. #13
      Elisa Keisha's Avatar
      Elisa Keisha is offline Moderator

      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      Barcelona (Spain)
      Posts
      4,106
      Blog Entries
      6
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      417

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Well, i think the question was formulated this way because it was asked by a learning Sister, that may want to turn some man into a Warrior now or in the future (I dont know) But i think we have already reformulated it with our responses, to include all kinds of situations.

      Sister BlackQueen, i think what MsLioness means is that its very hard to teach anybody to be a warrior in a isolated atmosphere. The best way is looking at the bigger picture. One person alone (doesnt matter if its man or woman), only by talking to somebody can do little, you need organization. A person must get soaked up into a movement and learn from diverse people to change and become a true Warrior. Her King or his Queen can always be the one who introduces her/him into knowledge, his/her backbone to make the change and the only one by his/her side at all times in the process. But we may need a wider atmosphere.

      Elisa Marvena Nyarai




      SANKOFA Asociación Cultural
      www.myspace.com/sankofacultura
      http://sankofacultura.blogspot.com

    14. #14
      BlackQueen's Avatar
      BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Baltimore,Maryland
      Posts
      1,604
      Blog Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      198

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      so you're saying that a woman's duty is not teaching a man about self-liberation? Then what is her duty for liberation?!
      Quote Originally Posted by Im The Truth View Post
      I always ask myself why aren't these types of threads questioning ever reversed? For example why not, can a man teach a enslaved woman to be a warrior? Or how about can a woman teach a enslaved woman to be a warrior? Or how about can a man teach a enslaved man to be a warrior? Why is it always can a woman [fill in the blank with a challenge] a man? As if there are some kind of hinted limitation in women. I'm incline to believe some of us allow the absurdities of sexism to shape our questions (and answers).
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empire—so strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

    15. #15
      BlackQueen's Avatar
      BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Baltimore,Maryland
      Posts
      1,604
      Blog Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      198

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      If we are to liberate our people,it begins with the man. We cannot fight this war alone,regardless of atmosphere. One person can do more than no one at all.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elisa Keisha View Post
      Well, i think the question was formulated this way because it was asked by a learning Sister, that may want to turn some man into a Warrior now or in the future (I dont know) But i think we have already reformulated it with our responses, to include all kinds of situations.

      Sister BlackQueen, i think what MsLioness means is that its very hard to teach anybody to be a warrior in a isolated atmosphere. The best way is looking at the bigger picture. One person alone (doesnt matter if its man or woman), only by talking to somebody can do little, you need organization. A person must get soaked up into a movement and learn from diverse people to change and become a true Warrior. Her King or his Queen can always be the one who introduces her/him into knowledge, his/her backbone to make the change and the only one by his/her side at all times in the process. But we may need a wider atmosphere.
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empire—so strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Assata Shakur: a woman warrior
      By XXPANTHAXX in forum Open Forum
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 07-24-2012, 07:56 AM
    2. If you think youre still not enslaved...think again
      By ZULUBRUTHA in forum Open Forum
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 01-25-2011, 03:12 PM
    3. Woman Sues Niger Gov't Over Being Islamicly ENSLAVED
      By Mosi Ngozi in forum Afrikan World News
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 05-16-2008, 12:13 AM
    4. Assata Shakur: A woman warrior / By Alina Serrano
      By RBG Street Scholar in forum RBG Street Scholars Think Tank
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 05-11-2007, 10:49 PM
    5. Love That Woman--by Kevin D. Ervin Assata Warrior
      By Goddess IsIs Akkebala in forum Poetry Throw Down! - Conscious Spoken Word
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 01-01-2006, 06:17 PM

    Thread Participants: 14

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  


    About

      Assata Shakur Speaks is an Forum Devoted To Assata Shakur And All Political Prisoners Around The World.
      Assata Shakur Speaks Is An Oasis Of Pan African Information Geared Towards The Liberation Of Afrikan People.

    Follow Us On

    Twitter Facebook youtube Flickr DavianArt Dribbble RSS Feed



    BACK TO TOP