Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

View Poll Results: Marriage Licenses for Afrikans?

Voters
    33. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes. I want to be able to use U.S. Law in the even of a divorce

1 3.03%
    • Yes. Why you avoiding it?!

3 9.09%
    • No. Afrikans don't need white "law" to validate their marriages.

13 39.39%
    • No. Marriages licenses are used to generate revenue & keep tabs on U.S. Citizens.

10 30.30%
    • Depends. If you are sure you know your mate.

1 3.03%
    • Not sure, but Marriage and divorce on paper tend to breed jealousy, greed, revenge and pettiness.

5 15.15%
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      JrFem is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0

another title?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      What is the africanization of a marriage? or a bond between two (or more) individuals to make a family unit within a community?

i assume we are not saying that marriage, or something like that under African community structures...isnt necessary, but africans need to change it to be more like...what?
      -jennia
      "forward ever"

IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down

Marriage in african terms is both social contract and spiritual union. Afrikan marriage is regulated by community, not the two parties. Everybody is involved, including the bad stuff that you usually try to keep a secret. lol If you stay out late, your mother-in-law can comment and then ask you why you did it - and expect an honest answer. Your elders might also inquire about your sex life and teach you how to get the job done right. lol Hey, it also means that your "divorce" is tied to everyone else's situation too. so families weigh in on seperations. Kind of a large topic. I will add more later.
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down

Currently, only 10 states (Alabama, Colorado, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and Texas) and the District of Columbia recognize common-law marriages contracted within their borders. In addition, five states have "grandfathered" common law marriage, allowing those established before a certain date to be recognized. New Hampshire recognizes common law marriage only for purposes of probate, and Utah recognizes common law marriages only if they have been validated by a court or administrative order.

details: www.ncsl.org/programs/cyf/commonlaw.htm
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

Thumbs up i would suggest to read about afrikan cosmology

Dr fukiau explains what is an afrikan centered wedding jr fem,read his book called the afrikan cosmology of the bantu kongo

ngunza>>>>> spiritual man kala ba/muntu>>>> bea hue man beinga,helpful hue man being

sotito! sododo! soora masika!
      " perform truth,perform righteousness,perform kindness and avoid cruelty!"

Nipa nye abe dua na ne ho ahyia ne ho. Or, Se mmerenkensono si ne ti ase a, na ewo dea asase reka kyere no. Also, Nnua nyinaa bewu agya abe.

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs up kala/ba muntu

read the afrikan cosmology about the bantu kongo on marriage. :cheers:

sotito! sododo! soora masika!
      " perform truth,perform righteousness,perform kindness and avoid cruelty!"

Nipa nye abe dua na ne ho ahyia ne ho. Or, Se mmerenkensono si ne ti ase a, na ewo dea asase reka kyere no. Also, Nnua nyinaa bewu agya abe.

Rekhati is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Marriage was invented for property rights.

If you get a state marriage, arent you basically signing a contract between you, your mate, and the state. Signing over everything you own, and fruits of your labor to the state? Once again becoming a slave. You are enslaved once you get your social security card and birth certificate. Now you further in debt yourself.

Nefertiti is offline TOO BLACK TOO STRONG!!!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 5/0

Exclamation No paper required!

An understanding,compromise,responsibility,On the same consciousness wavelength,And Togetherness,......And love, We are married!!!! the white man's law can go jump in the lake and drown,...You aint in this!!!!,You aint keeping no tabs on me,And if I want to change my name i'll just do it,I'll write it differently.......................Peace

Erzulie Danto is offline justice for Ayiti!!!

Thumbs Up/Down

peace family,

very interesting thread. as i look forward to marriage this subject is central to me. still, i didn't vote in the poll b/c i felt there was no option that addresses my concerns.

i overstand marriage far beyond the bureaucracy that is US law and regulation. i overstand their system as concerned only with money and control and white supremacy. and i overstand Afrikan marriage in terms of community, family, healing, spiritual union and love. their laws could never reflect my sacred union. that said. . .

as child of immigrants and as a sister who has found myself several times considering marriage with non US citizens, ie brothers from continent and the islands, in contemplating partnership we overstood "legal" marriage as means to consolidate and protect our union against the dominating regulations of Black bodies and borders. if i want to be able to move freely with my husband across national boundaries we need paperwork. as we know Afrikans are surveilled in every instance, immigration, healthcare, property and educational rights can be restricted is a couple is not "legally" married. though my plan is not to live in the West, i am not willing to give to babylon the access to tell me we can not visit the States if we choose to. (do you know how difficult it is for a continental Afrikan to travel outside Afrika!!??) nor am i trying to hear any foolishness if by some emergency we must receive medical care and suddenly b/c we are not legal spouses such and such and such. same goes for they prison system. i also would like to become a citizen of an Afrikan nation and perhaps this will happen through "legal" marriage. as an Black activist and traveler i seek to be wise in my dealing with state power. yes, i reject their power over me to define my sacred bond with my beloved but given that i can be easy target for their antics given my unapologetic PanAfrikanism i don't want a lack of a marrage license to be used against me, my spouse or our children. (and given the kind of warrior brother i hope to marry, we will have to be extra viligent on how we run things).

but since i'm not married yet and haven't been, this is all hypothetical. but these are my concerns though i have not decided either way as of yet. my husband and i would have to think this through carefully.
      justice for Ayiti!!!

Sun Ship is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I don’t think there is necessarily a right or wrong to this debate about contractual marriage. I think the key word here is, "contract". Legal documentation can be drawn up to allow or disallow all types of rights and privileges. Though the marriage contract has a lot of preset legal allotments in place by law, still even it can fall short of many legal concerns that some people have. This is why prenuptials have become so important to some people.

As Africans who are constantly yearning and projecting towards our revolutionary futures, we have to ask ourselves where, how and when do we stand. And what does the revolution stand for. We suppose to be fighting to get back to an African-centered civility and a freewill liberated from the dysfunctional impingements of another’s rule or authority; be it here, or in the continental homeland.

Liberation and freedom doesn’t happen overnight, and should be fought for inch by inch and each victory should be a substantive gain. Freedom is not ethereal or esoteric. It’s about new ethics, laws, justice, functional social norms and being deracinated from Americanism figuratively, mentally, contractually, culturally and eventually physically.

Are we free, if we go to Africa and live like Europeans and Americans? Even Africans in the continent are going to have address a lot of their post-colonial conditioning before we all will realize absolute true liberation.

Please, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that anyone who desires the functionality or legal convenience of a marital contract is less of a revolutionary or less African-centered; that would be a superfluous suggestion. Be we must realize that liberation and freedom is about the nuts and bolts of laws and lifestyle choices.

A good analogy is that, after Africa liberated itself from colonial rule, a lot of the infrastructure fell into dismal disrepair, because Africa was missing or lacked accessibility at the time, to the glue that holds an industrial and technological society together, basically the spare parts such as nuts, bolt and screws.

So where do we start, for Freedom like God, is many times in the details.

Ase!
      Brother Sun Ship

Warrior Princess is offline Administrator

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 16/0
      Given: 1/0

"Need"?

No, Afrikans in Amerikkka do not need a license to be "married"; just like Afrikans in Amerikkka do not need a license to "drive".

Meth said "Word life; you don't need a ring 2 be my wife". True... Rings aren't "needed", licenses aren't "needed". Breath and water are "needed", but for couples who are really serious about building their lives/legacies with each other who are trying to decide whether or not to get a license for their marriage, the advantages/disadvantages should really seriously be discussed/analyzed and not just hastily dismissed.
      "The greatest mistake of the movement has been to organize a sleeping people around specific goals. You have to wake the people up first, then youíll get action." Brother Malcolm

Nesayem is offline Afrika Is In You

Thumbs Up/Down

[QUOTE=Warrior Princess]No, Afrikans in Amerikkka do not need a license to be "married"; just like Afrikans in Amerikkka do not need a license to "drive".
      QUOTE]
      Well sis, I wouldnt advise this. I had to pay the state over $300.00 for driving without a license.lol

Warrior Princess is offline Administrator

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 16/0
      Given: 1/0

[QUOTE=Nesayem]
      Quote Originally Posted by Warrior Princess
      No, Afrikans in Amerikkka do not need a license to be "married"; just like Afrikans in Amerikkka do not need a license to "drive".
      QUOTE]
      Well sis, I wouldnt advise this. I had to pay the state over $300.00 for driving without a license.lol
      LOL Ah you see... That was one of my points behind that... And you got lucky... I know you CAN'T live in Georgia! I don't even KNOW what these kkkrackaz would try to legally come up with for that here. You ain't gotta have it, true indeed... but if you have it, there is a cost and if you do not have it, there is a cost. (Be it marriage license or driver's license.)
      "The greatest mistake of the movement has been to organize a sleeping people around specific goals. You have to wake the people up first, then youíll get action." Brother Malcolm

Ar-Rahn El is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

you dont need a contract, but i agree with warrior princess. think it through, but whatever you do dont jump the broom.!LOL!!!

RaShu is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

We do not as Africans need the United Snakkkes of america to give us any of their laws from my perspective. I have grown to understand if we continue to let them write Laws (rules) to follow we do not control our destiny as a people.
      Empress RaShu

Anayansi is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

The union between two people does not need a license. However for convenience sake, there are some things where a marriage license proves useful. To get a mortgage to buy a house, to be legally considered a spouse in medical emergencies, and for hospital visits, in case of death for inheritance purposes, for insurance purposes, in case of divorce.

Most countries, white or non-white, have marriage licenses and they operate basically in the same way.

Why are these old threads popping up, by the way?
      My AV represents the Harpy Eagle, whichis the national bird of Panama. It is an endangered species that nests high in the forests of regions that go from Mexico to South America.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information