Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Relocating To Atlanta/Stone Mountain Very Soon. Need some pointers.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Hotep family,

Many of you know me, some of you don't. Uhuru to you all!

I'll be moving my family back to GA very soon and I was looking into a few things. Most importantly a job and a house.... I remember a while back reading something about a network or circle of traveling Afrikan centered home school teachers. Can anybody give me more info on that? Also, if you live in ATL or Stone Mountain "Is your job hiring"? These days it's usually about who you know anyway. Any info or help is much appreciated.

RS aka Adofo
      We are not citizens of amerikkka. We are victims of amerikkka.

Jalili is offline Continuing the Fight

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Student View Post
      Hotep family,

Many of you know me, some of you don't. Uhuru to you all!

I'll be moving my family back to GA very soon and I was looking into a few things. Most importantly a job and a house.... I remember a while back reading something about a network or circle of traveling Afrikan centered home school teachers. Can anybody give me more info on that? Also, if you live in ATL or Stone Mountain "Is your job hiring"? These days it's usually about who you know anyway. Any info or help is much appreciated.

RS aka Adofo
      DANG BRUH WE'RE TRYING TO DO THE SAME THING

I'm actually in the A right now till Saturday.

Well the housing market is FLOODED as it is all over the country.
      If you go to https://www.bidselect.com/SearchResu...5lYQPmDCIDpGu% you can get a listing of HUD homes for sale but as soon as you step into town you will see flyer's all over Atlanta selling Condos or houses up for sale. I was in West End yesterday for the Malcolm X Festival (which was a beautiful sight) The whole area around there is very Pan-Afrikan and There are MANY Afrikan center schools down here as well. www.unity4power.org will probably have some good contacts for you.

Now as far as the job situation............I'm looking for the same thing myself. I will be looking all this week and if I come up on some major leads I will be sure to send some information your way. Let me know the next time you plan on visiting the area so (if I'm not already here) I can meet up with you here.

Good luck Bruh
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...
      But we are young and Black, fearless and free...
      Every poem, every incandescent word is a personal revolution"
      Celeste "ayasha" Golden (my queen rest well and I'll see you when I get there.)
      http://awrittenlifeapoeticsoul.blogspot.com/
      http://justiseverything.blogspot.com/

Thumbs Up/Down

So it's been almost a year since I posted this thread. I am now closer to moving to Atlanta now than I was a year ago. I will be flying down there in 2 weeks to look at some houses. I'm looking for a low crime rate area and no roaches. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

I will DEFINITELY be moving by July 5th, so any help from the comrades is much appreciated. Any advice is welcome.

P.S. I miss y'all! I been on my grind up here gettin things in order!

G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A. is offline Universal Wisdom Seeker

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/1
      Given: 5/0

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I nice area (but probably very expensive one) is around Northlake mall, when I go up there I usually stay in that area as my "base location" but my usual stomping grounds is in the West End area very Pan-African spot. The link GODFATHA put up is a good one to get some of the info your looking for.
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...

Elisa Keisha is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

Hey Jalili!! Good luck on your search and your move! I hope u find a nice area and house. You know i cant help u much but it was good to read you and i miss y'all too!!

Elisa Marvena Nyarai

SANKOFA Asociación Cultural
      www.myspace.com/sankofacultura
      http://sankofacultura.blogspot.com

Thumbs Up/Down

Asante sana for the info family! My wife and I actually decided we like Gwinette county. Her job is in Duluth so we will be in that area. Norcross most likely.

I noticed a lot of crime in apartment complexes and a very prevelent presence of illegal Mexicans breaking and entering. I'm trying to stay away from that element. We're looking for a house. I'll be there next week to scout the area personally. If anybody wants to link up just IM me and we can exchange telephone numbers.

One more thing... I know I've been away from the forum for a while. looks like a new format or something but I can't get to the main forum that shows most current threads. I actually had to go into my warrior CP to find this thread again. What's up with that?

DreadedBliss is offline Militia

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Greetings Brother! How are you liking Gwinnett? We left from up there the beginning of this year and bid that place good riddance. Watch out for the pig element, for real. Cobb and Gwinnett are notorious for some ridiculousness right there. Did you guys ever find a good homeschooling fit?

Hope all is well with you and yours!
      "The Black skin is not a badge of shame, but rather a glorious symbol of national greatness." - The Honorable Marcus Mosiah Garvey

JayCassat is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Stone Mountain

My family moved to ATL in 97, first to Indian Creek, an area by the east side of I-285, and then to Stone Mountain a couple years later. Overall, I love it here, the area is pretty mixed, ranging from a couple of low income areas to affluent areas. The area is comprised of alot of college educated African Americans who moved here. Crime here can be rampant, there are a few murders you hear of every year, but its pretty safe. We aint had any problems since. There are jobs, but you have to search, and it might take time. The housing is cheap, alot of houses got foreclosed on. If you got any questions about SM, I might be able to answer.

manifestdestiny is offline Administrator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 2/0

I was thinking of relocating to GA next year this time. However, I was told Columbus, GA is a good town. I'm looking forward to heading down and accessing a vibe. At this moment, my wife and I are stuck between Alabama and GA. I am personally good, either way. However, I wouldn't mind some pointers.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by manifestdestiny View Post
      I was thinking of relocating to GA next year this time. However, I was told Columbus, GA is a good town. I'm looking forward to heading down and accessing a vibe. At this moment, my wife and I are stuck between Alabama and GA. I am personally good, either way. However, I wouldn't mind some pointers.
      Well you'll run into more forum fam in GA than you would AL but it's up to you bro. I'm here in GA due to lack of funds and abundance of family here.

DreadedBliss is offline Militia

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by JayCassat View Post
      My family moved to ATL in 97, first to Indian Creek, an area by the east side of I-285, and then to Stone Mountain a couple years later. Overall, I love it here, the area is pretty mixed, ranging from a couple of low income areas to affluent areas. The area is comprised of alot of college educated African Americans who moved here. Crime here can be rampant, there are a few murders you hear of every year, but its pretty safe. We aint had any problems since. There are jobs, but you have to search, and it might take time. The housing is cheap, alot of houses got foreclosed on. If you got any questions about SM, I might be able to answer.
      Greetings JayCassat! Welcome to the forum! I hope you're enjoying your stay.

Since you're in Stone Mt., have you happened to check out this Brotha's shop?

naturalmystikstore.com - Home

I learned about his shop at a festival this past summer in Candler Park. I've been wanting to go by but I've got all kinds of constraints on my time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by manifestdestiny View Post
      Hey manifest! I'll be back (since I've got some cranky babies on my hands at the moment lol) but off the top of my head, the West End is a good place centering on Afrikan people and culture (I think that's been mentioned already). For one, that's where you'll find Shrine of the Black Madonna Bookstore Shrine of the Black Madonna Bookstore. I'm an Atlanta native and it's a damn shame I didn't even know the Shrine existed until about five years ago *smh*. Knowledge is power though! Also, HABESHA HABESHA, Inc. has good things going on. They recently had Harvest Fest and that was such a beautiful day (check 'em out on Facebook to see nice festival pics.

OK, gotta run fam. Bless up!
      "The Black skin is not a badge of shame, but rather a glorious symbol of national greatness." - The Honorable Marcus Mosiah Garvey

JayCassat is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by DreadedBliss View Post
      Greetings JayCassat! Welcome to the forum! I hope you're enjoying your stay.

Since you're in Stone Mt., have you happened to check out this Brotha's shop?

naturalmystikstore.com - Home

I learned about his shop at a festival this past summer in Candler Park. I've been wanting to go by but I've got all kinds of constraints on my time lol.

Nah, Ive never heard of this place, but Its 5 minutes from the house. Thanks for the heads up, Im always lookin for some good shops in ATL to support.

mochalox is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Welp, I live in Gwinnett, and I love it here. I have lived all over Atl, including Zone 1, Rex, Toco Hills, etc. and I found peace in Gwinnett.
      It doesn't really matter where you live as long as you are at peace there.
      Anyways, I wanted to share 5 resources:
      #1) Sankofa UCC - Atlanta - GA
      I attended a service where Rev. Jeremiah Wright was speaking and the service was orchestrated by Rev. Rice. I was really impressed by him. I've also heard him on the radio a few times on WAOK. He is well spoken and always has information/resources to give the people.
      #2) Consider joining the Black Vegetarian Society of Georgia’s yahoo group: BVSGA : Black Vegetarian Society of Georgia
      #3) The Shrine of the Black Madonna is a great resource. If you sign up for their newsletter they’ll clue you in on the many events they have to offer: Shrine of the Black Madonna Bookstore
      #4) The New Black Panther Party is pretty busy too. Here’s their latest event:
      New Black Panther Party Hosts National Black Power Convention This Weekend In Atlanta, Georgia. Black Leaders at Morris Brown College
      #5) Here’s the link to a full spreadsheet listing all of the African resources in Atlanta proper: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...3HlYjA&cad=rja

If that link doesn’t work, you can access it here: The Collective Black People Movement Home Page (CBPM)

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Welp, I live in Gwinnett, and I love it here. I have lived all over Atl, including Zone 1, Rex, Toco Hills, etc. and I found peace in Gwinnett.
      It doesn't really matter where you live as long as you are at peace there.
      Anyways, I wanted to share 5 resources:
      #1) Sankofa UCC - Atlanta - GA
      I attended a service where Rev. Jeremiah Wright was speaking and the service was orchestrated by Rev. Rice. I was really impressed by him. I've also heard him on the radio a few times on WAOK. He is well spoken and always has information/resources to give the people.
      #2) Consider joining the Black Vegetarian Society of Georgia’s yahoo group: BVSGA : Black Vegetarian Society of Georgia
      #3) The Shrine of the Black Madonna is a great resource. If you sign up for their newsletter they’ll clue you in on the many events they have to offer: Shrine of the Black Madonna Bookstore
      #4) The New Black Panther Party is pretty busy too. Here’s their latest event:
      New Black Panther Party Hosts National Black Power Convention This Weekend In Atlanta, Georgia. Black Leaders at Morris Brown College
      #5) Here’s the link to a full spreadsheet listing all of the African resources in Atlanta proper: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...3HlYjA&cad=rja

If that link doesn’t work, you can access it here: The Collective Black People Movement Home Page (CBPM)

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by DreadedBliss View Post
      Greetings Brother! How are you liking Gwinnett? We left from up there the beginning of this year and bid that place good riddance. Watch out for the pig element, for real. Cobb and Gwinnett are notorious for some ridiculousness right there. Did you guys ever find a good homeschooling fit?

Hope all is well with you and yours!
      Hotep! Well, an update.... we've been here since June and we ended up movind to the Redan/Stone Mountain area. So far, we like it. It's quiet in our neighborhood and the people here are very friendly. I'm looking for a public Kwanzaa celebration that I can attend with my family so if anyone knows of any celebrations going down, let me know.

Thread Information