Majadi is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0

Edward Wilmot Blyden (1832-1912)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I have been a Blyden fan for years, I picked up on him after reading on Garvey, I am particularly fond of his, "The Call of Providence to the Descendants of Africa in America". In this brilliant work he called for Africans in the Americas to connect to Africa itself and Africans throughout the Diaspora. Blyden was in my humble opinion one of the true Fathers of True Pan-Africanism. I disagree with his position on Islam but I think he was looking for a centralizing force for us. I now think that what I refer to as Pan-Afrikan Spirituality is that force (I can explain my theory later). Rather than I go through the usual Biographical info that is given women and men like this, let his words suffice to summons up in you the evidence of his genius!

The words of Edward Wilmot Blyden, any thing in parenthesis are my added text;

Of Africa:

"I venture to predict that, within a very brief period, that down-trodden land (Afrika) instead of being regarded with prejudice and distaste will largely attract the attention and engage the warmest interest of every man of color."

Of African Americans:

"It is theirs to betake themselves to injured Africa, and bless those outraged shores,"

"It ought to be clear to every thinking and important mind, that there can never occur in this country an equality, social or political, between whites and blacks."

Some powerful statements as evidence of his Pan-Africanist thought patterns!!!

"We need some African power, some great center of the race where our physical, pecuniary and intellectual strength may be collected."

"Among the free portion of the descendants of Africa, numbering about four or five millions, there is enough talent, wealth, and enterprise, to form a respectable nationality on the continent of Africa."

"We need to collect the scattered forces of the race, and there is no rallying ground more favourable than Africa."

"For, supposing that, it were possible for black men to rise to the greatest eminence in this country, in wealth and political distinction, so long as the resources and capabilities of Africa remained undeveloped- so long as there was no negro power of respectability in Africa, and that continent remained in her present degradation- she would reflect unfavourably upon them. Africa is the appropriate home of the black man, and he cannot rise above her."

Lastly It was Blyden that first coined this powerful term!!!

"Africa for the Africans".

I urge that true students of Black Nationalism and Pan-Africanism study Blyden, fervently!!!

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 10/1
      Given: 7/0

This is one of my favorite Pan-Africanist!
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

MsLioness is offline Administrator

Thumbs Up/Down

One of the first people I learned about in breaking from this system that abuses the religion of the Christians.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Blyden is no joke, unmistakably Afrikan! Damn, did he love us or what? I wish for a portion of that kind of committment! I am working this out though! (smile).

BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never of this man until now,but now that I have,I will read his work. As long as he was pro-Afrikan,that's fine with me!
      Quote Originally Posted by Majadi View Post
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I have been a Blyden fan for years, I picked up on him after reading on Garvey, I am particularly fond of his, "The Call of Providence to the Descendants of Africa in America". In this brilliant work he called for Africans in the Americas to connect to Africa itself and Africans throughout the Diaspora. Blyden was in my humble opinion one of the true Fathers of True Pan-Africanism. I disagree with his position on Islam but I think he was looking for a centralizing force for us. I now think that what I refer to as Pan-Afrikan Spirituality is that force (I can explain my theory later). Rather than I go through the usual Biographical info that is given women and men like this, let his words suffice to summons up in you the evidence of his genius!

The words of Edward Wilmot Blyden, any thing in parenthesis are my added text;

Of Africa:

"I venture to predict that, within a very brief period, that down-trodden land (Afrika) instead of being regarded with prejudice and distaste will largely attract the attention and engage the warmest interest of every man of color."

Of African Americans:

"It is theirs to betake themselves to injured Africa, and bless those outraged shores,"

"It ought to be clear to every thinking and important mind, that there can never occur in this country an equality, social or political, between whites and blacks."

Some powerful statements as evidence of his Pan-Africanist thought patterns!!!

"We need some African power, some great center of the race where our physical, pecuniary and intellectual strength may be collected."

"Among the free portion of the descendants of Africa, numbering about four or five millions, there is enough talent, wealth, and enterprise, to form a respectable nationality on the continent of Africa."

"We need to collect the scattered forces of the race, and there is no rallying ground more favourable than Africa."

"For, supposing that, it were possible for black men to rise to the greatest eminence in this country, in wealth and political distinction, so long as the resources and capabilities of Africa remained undeveloped- so long as there was no negro power of respectability in Africa, and that continent remained in her present degradation- she would reflect unfavourably upon them. Africa is the appropriate home of the black man, and he cannot rise above her."

Lastly It was Blyden that first coined this powerful term!!!

"Africa for the Africans".

I urge that true students of Black Nationalism and Pan-Africanism study Blyden, fervently!!!
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empire—so strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 10/1
      Given: 7/0

Quote Originally Posted by BlackQueen View Post
      I'm ashamed to admit that I've never of this man until now,but now that I have,I will read his work. As long as he was pro-Afrikan,that's fine with me!
      What's to be ashamed of?
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

MsLioness is offline Administrator

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by BlackQueen View Post
      You love your People, Queen....and you are so investigative.

There is nothing to be ashamed of.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Blackicon Lol

Ya'll gonna make me get all emotional and crap....but seriously studying Blyden is a great scholarly effort, I might study him some more, I have an affinity for those old, 19th century Nationalists, they spoke with so much power! I have even started writing my colonial name like them, with that, initial-period-initial-period-last name thing. Like this...

E.W. Blyden
      W.E.B. Dubios

That is so fresh to me! If you thought I was going to tell ya'll my colonial name think again! lol, lol!

BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Aww,thanks sis.
      Quote Originally Posted by MsLioness View Post
      You love your People, Queen....and you are so investigative.

There is nothing to be ashamed of.
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empire—so strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

Langalibalele is offline Honorable Ancestor

Little Haiti, Pittsburgh aka Amerikaz Black Colony
      Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Edward Wilmot Blyden was called "The Apostle of Blackness." Frederick Douglass once said, and was famous for it, "I thank God that I am simply a man. Blyden thanks God that He made him a Black man."

Dont forget David Walker. He seldom gets his due. I think that if Blyden was the Apostle of Blackness, David Walker must be considered the father of Black revolutionary propaganda. He was an agitational genius, not only for obtaining an education and writing his eloquent tract "Appeal: In Four Parts" but also getting it printed and smuggling it into the South. Walker was incredible.

And dont forget Mother Moses, Harriet Tubman, one of the greatest human traffickers who got African people OUT of colonialism.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I think I read Walker's Appeal at least once a month, as a writer it is inspirational and powerful! I am here in Charlotte, NC and I have intention on making pilgrimage to Wilmington, NC the birthplace or David Walker!!!

Thread Information