Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Results 1 to 11 of 11
    1. #1
      Majadi's Avatar
      Majadi is offline Warrior

      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      1,164
      Blog Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      257

      Edward Wilmot Blyden (1832-1912)


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Edward Wilmot Blyden (1832-1912)
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I have been a Blyden fan for years, I picked up on him after reading on Garvey, I am particularly fond of his, "The Call of Providence to the Descendants of Africa in America". In this brilliant work he called for Africans in the Americas to connect to Africa itself and Africans throughout the Diaspora. Blyden was in my humble opinion one of the true Fathers of True Pan-Africanism. I disagree with his position on Islam but I think he was looking for a centralizing force for us. I now think that what I refer to as Pan-Afrikan Spirituality is that force (I can explain my theory later). Rather than I go through the usual Biographical info that is given women and men like this, let his words suffice to summons up in you the evidence of his genius!

      The words of Edward Wilmot Blyden, any thing in parenthesis are my added text;

      Of Africa:

      "I venture to predict that, within a very brief period, that down-trodden land (Afrika) instead of being regarded with prejudice and distaste will largely attract the attention and engage the warmest interest of every man of color."

      Of African Americans:

      "It is theirs to betake themselves to injured Africa, and bless those outraged shores,"


      "It ought to be clear to every thinking and important mind, that there can never occur in this country an equality, social or political, between whites and blacks."

      Some powerful statements as evidence of his Pan-Africanist thought patterns!!!

      "We need some African power, some great center of the race where our physical, pecuniary and intellectual strength may be collected."


      "Among the free portion of the descendants of Africa, numbering about four or five millions, there is enough talent, wealth, and enterprise, to form a respectable nationality on the continent of Africa."

      "We need to collect the scattered forces of the race, and there is no rallying ground more favourable than Africa."


      "For, supposing that, it were possible for black men to rise to the greatest eminence in this country, in wealth and political distinction, so long as the resources and capabilities of Africa remained undeveloped- so long as there was no negro power of respectability in Africa, and that continent remained in her present degradation- she would reflect unfavourably upon them. Africa is the appropriate home of the black man, and he cannot rise above her."

      Lastly It was Blyden that first coined this powerful term!!!

      "Africa for the Africans".

      I urge that true students of Black Nationalism and Pan-Africanism study Blyden, fervently!!!

    2. #2
      Im The Truth's Avatar
      Im The Truth is offline Organizer

      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      Atlanta, GA by way of Afrika
      Posts
      5,925
      Blog Entries
      11
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 10/1
      Given: 7/0
      Rep Power
      616

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      This is one of my favorite Pan-Africanist!
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré


      "speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

      "Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King


      Get Involved!

    3. #3
      MsLioness's Avatar
      MsLioness is offline Administrator

      Join Date
      Nov 2005
      Location
      Tallahassee
      Posts
      1,164
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      207

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      One of the first people I learned about in breaking from this system that abuses the religion of the Christians.

    4. #4
      Majadi's Avatar
      Majadi is offline Warrior

      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      1,164
      Blog Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      257

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Blyden is no joke, unmistakably Afrikan! Damn, did he love us or what? I wish for a portion of that kind of committment! I am working this out though! (smile).

    5. #5
      BlackQueen's Avatar
      BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Baltimore,Maryland
      Posts
      1,604
      Blog Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      196

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      I'm ashamed to admit that I've never of this man until now,but now that I have,I will read his work. As long as he was pro-Afrikan,that's fine with me!
      Quote Originally Posted by Majadi View Post
      Edward Wilmot Blyden (1832-1912)
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I have been a Blyden fan for years, I picked up on him after reading on Garvey, I am particularly fond of his, "The Call of Providence to the Descendants of Africa in America". In this brilliant work he called for Africans in the Americas to connect to Africa itself and Africans throughout the Diaspora. Blyden was in my humble opinion one of the true Fathers of True Pan-Africanism. I disagree with his position on Islam but I think he was looking for a centralizing force for us. I now think that what I refer to as Pan-Afrikan Spirituality is that force (I can explain my theory later). Rather than I go through the usual Biographical info that is given women and men like this, let his words suffice to summons up in you the evidence of his genius!

      The words of Edward Wilmot Blyden, any thing in parenthesis are my added text;

      Of Africa:

      "I venture to predict that, within a very brief period, that down-trodden land (Afrika) instead of being regarded with prejudice and distaste will largely attract the attention and engage the warmest interest of every man of color."

      Of African Americans:

      "It is theirs to betake themselves to injured Africa, and bless those outraged shores,"


      "It ought to be clear to every thinking and important mind, that there can never occur in this country an equality, social or political, between whites and blacks."

      Some powerful statements as evidence of his Pan-Africanist thought patterns!!!

      "We need some African power, some great center of the race where our physical, pecuniary and intellectual strength may be collected."


      "Among the free portion of the descendants of Africa, numbering about four or five millions, there is enough talent, wealth, and enterprise, to form a respectable nationality on the continent of Africa."

      "We need to collect the scattered forces of the race, and there is no rallying ground more favourable than Africa."


      "For, supposing that, it were possible for black men to rise to the greatest eminence in this country, in wealth and political distinction, so long as the resources and capabilities of Africa remained undeveloped- so long as there was no negro power of respectability in Africa, and that continent remained in her present degradation- she would reflect unfavourably upon them. Africa is the appropriate home of the black man, and he cannot rise above her."

      Lastly It was Blyden that first coined this powerful term!!!

      "Africa for the Africans".

      I urge that true students of Black Nationalism and Pan-Africanism study Blyden, fervently!!!
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empire—so strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

    6. #6
      Im The Truth's Avatar
      Im The Truth is offline Organizer

      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      Atlanta, GA by way of Afrika
      Posts
      5,925
      Blog Entries
      11
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 10/1
      Given: 7/0
      Rep Power
      616

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackQueen View Post
      I'm ashamed to admit that I've never of this man until now,but now that I have,I will read his work. As long as he was pro-Afrikan,that's fine with me!
      What's to be ashamed of?
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré


      "speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

      "Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King


      Get Involved!

    7. #7
      MsLioness's Avatar
      MsLioness is offline Administrator

      Join Date
      Nov 2005
      Location
      Tallahassee
      Posts
      1,164
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      207

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackQueen View Post
      I'm ashamed to admit that I've never of this man until now,but now that I have,I will read his work. As long as he was pro-Afrikan,that's fine with me!
      You love your People, Queen....and you are so investigative.

      There is nothing to be ashamed of.

    8. #8
      Majadi's Avatar
      Majadi is offline Warrior

      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      1,164
      Blog Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      257

      Blackicon Lol


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Ya'll gonna make me get all emotional and crap....but seriously studying Blyden is a great scholarly effort, I might study him some more, I have an affinity for those old, 19th century Nationalists, they spoke with so much power! I have even started writing my colonial name like them, with that, initial-period-initial-period-last name thing. Like this...

      E.W. Blyden
      W.E.B. Dubios

      That is so fresh to me! If you thought I was going to tell ya'll my colonial name think again! lol, lol!

    9. #9
      BlackQueen's Avatar
      BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Baltimore,Maryland
      Posts
      1,604
      Blog Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      196

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Aww,thanks sis.
      Quote Originally Posted by MsLioness View Post
      You love your People, Queen....and you are so investigative.

      There is nothing to be ashamed of.
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empire—so strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

    10. #10
      Langalibalele's Avatar
      Langalibalele is offline Honorable Ancestor

      Join Date
      Nov 2005
      Location
      Little Haiti, Pittsburgh aka Amerikaz Black Colony
      Posts
      669
      Blog Entries
      7
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      178

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Edward Wilmot Blyden was called "The Apostle of Blackness." Frederick Douglass once said, and was famous for it, "I thank God that I am simply a man. Blyden thanks God that He made him a Black man."

      Dont forget David Walker. He seldom gets his due. I think that if Blyden was the Apostle of Blackness, David Walker must be considered the father of Black revolutionary propaganda. He was an agitational genius, not only for obtaining an education and writing his eloquent tract "Appeal: In Four Parts" but also getting it printed and smuggling it into the South. Walker was incredible.

      And dont forget Mother Moses, Harriet Tubman, one of the greatest human traffickers who got African people OUT of colonialism.

    11. #11
      Majadi's Avatar
      Majadi is offline Warrior

      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      1,164
      Blog Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      257

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      I think I read Walker's Appeal at least once a month, as a writer it is inspirational and powerful! I am here in Charlotte, NC and I have intention on making pilgrimage to Wilmington, NC the birthplace or David Walker!!!

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 12-27-2008, 09:19 AM
    2. Black People have you ever heard of Dr. Edward Bernays?
      By TheNubianWarrior in forum The Black Matrix
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 07-19-2008, 01:34 PM
    3. John Edward Bruce: Journalist, Nationalist, Pan Afrikanist, And Historian
      By Mekeda7 in forum On The Shoulders Of Our Freedom Fighters
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 08-18-2006, 08:06 PM
    4. Edward Wilmot Blyden
      By kLmNaTy in forum On The Shoulders Of Our Freedom Fighters
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 08-18-2005, 09:27 AM

    Thread Participants: 4

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  


    About

      Assata Shakur Speaks is an Forum Devoted To Assata Shakur And All Political Prisoners Around The World.
      Assata Shakur Speaks Is An Oasis Of Pan African Information Geared Towards The Liberation Of Afrikan People.

    Follow Us On

    Twitter Facebook youtube Flickr DavianArt Dribbble RSS Feed



    BACK TO TOP