Fenix is offline aFROdemic

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

MLK Events- Durham, NC

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      African Children’s Choir to Perform on MLK Day

The choir of talented children who have lost relatives has gained international recognition.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

print | email | digg digg | del.icio.us del.icio.us

Durham, NC -- The African Children’s Choir will perform at Duke University 3 p.m. Monday, Jan. 21, in Page Auditorium as part of the university’s Martin Luther King Jr. commemoration.

The event is free and open to the public. Parking is available in the Bryan Center Parking garage; directions are available here. A reception in the Bryan Center will follow the performance.

The African Children’s Choir comprises talented children, many of whom have lost parents and relatives to disease. The group performing at Duke and a sister choir based in England have appeared on “American Idol,” “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” and “Ellen’s Really Big Show”; performed with Bobby McFerrin, Mariah Carey and Paul McCartney, and had their music featured on the soundtrack for the movie “Blood Diamonds.”

The choir has a dual mission of nurturing its child members through education, health care and supportive relationships, and of presenting a message of hope about their home communities through their singing and dancing. The choir sings traditional African songs, American spirituals and contemporary Christian praise music. Listen to the choir (Windows Media Player required).

African Children’s Choir manager Elsa Mugyenzi said the choir’s performance will be in the spirit of the King holiday.

“As Martin Luther King was a positive catalyst for change on behalf of African
      Americans suffering human rights abuses, the African Children’s Choir is a voice and positive force for change on behalf of the most vulnerable African children suffering from poverty, war and disease,” Mugyenzi said.

The performance is part of a series of events at Duke celebrating King. The events’ theme, “The Power of Youth,” focuses on caring for children and how college students can bring about social reform.

“In the African Children’s Choir, we experience youngsters suffering as victims of poverty and disease while at the same time acting on behalf of their own recovery and growth,” said Benjamin D. Reese Jr., Duke’s vice president for institutional equity and co-chair of the university’s King commemoration committee. “We, as a committee, selected them because we saw in them a powerful example of King’s view of young people having ‘a true sense of their own stake in freedom and justice.’”

Other King events, free and open to the public, include:

-- A presentation by filmmaker Katrina Browne on her documentary “Traces of the Trade: A Story From the Deep North,” which explores her family’s historic involvement in the slave trade, at 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 11, in Room 153 of the Terry Sanford Institute of Public Policy’s Rubenstein Hall.

-- A production of the “Secret Life of Bees” by the American Place Theatre, based on the book by Sue Monk Kid, which follows a Southern teenage girl who comes of age in the 1960s under the tutelage of three beekeeping sisters. The play has two showings in the Doris Duke Center at Duke Gardens: at 8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 18, and at 11 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 19.

-- A program in Duke Chapel at 3 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 20, featuring a keynote address by Children’s Defense Fund President Marian Wright Edelman.

-- A screening and discussion of the film “Durham: A Self-Portrait,” which chronicles the city’s role in such aspects of American history as race relations, industrialization and entrepreneurship. The event is at 7 p.m. Monday, Jan. 21, in the Bryan Center’s Griffith Film Theater.

-- The Million Meals volunteer service event, which will prepare pre-packaged meals for people in need of food around the world, from 6-10 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 23, in the Walker Complex at North Carolina Central University.

The Duke Martin Luther King website has a complete list of events, plus clips from King’s 1964 speech at Duke. For more information, contact Sharon Caple at sharon.caple@duke.edu or (919) 684-8353.
      "Oh Africa! When shall be the term of thy long degradation? Behold here, even now, I pledge thee, O my Mother, that I shall devote my years to thee, shall work for thy redemption, shall love thee and be proud of thee and glory in thy power now lying dormant and shall strive to bring it to the light. Take my youth, my labors, my love, my all and do thou when I shall have died for thee, take me to thy bosom, an untamed, untamable African." -Hubert Harrison

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

* 3ND ANNUAL MARTIN LUTHER KING COMMUNITY DAY OF SERVICE *
      Raleigh NC
      Raleigh, Durham, Morrisville & Chapel Hill
      COST: FREE
      PHONE: (919) 460-8687
      EMAIL: mwstover@unitedwaytriangle.org
      WEB: http://www.unitedwaytriangle.org/mlk/index.asp

"IMPROVE TOMORROW TODAY ~ ~ ~ DO YOUR PART ~ ~ ~ EVERY DAY, IN EVERY WAY "

On the annual MLK Holiday, in conjunction with the Triangle United Way, this project will involve thousands of volunteers to go into various communities in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill & Morrisville to provide hand's on service to residents.

2008 Raleigh, Durham,Chapel Hill & Morrisvlle MLK Day Community Service Program

Monday, January 21, 2008

PURPOSE: The MLK Day Community Service Program will join hundreds of other cities across the nation who honor the King Holiday by mobilizing thousands of everyday citizens in service projects that connect people to King�s philosophy of service and brotherly love. The MLK Day Community Service Program will expand involvement in the King Holiday by youth, parents, grandparents and organizations across the region who care about valuing diversity and keeping Dr. King�s dream alive. The goal is to ignite the spirit of community by providing a quality experience for volunteers of all ages and the opportunity to create lasting results across the Triangle region.
      "Oh Africa! When shall be the term of thy long degradation? Behold here, even now, I pledge thee, O my Mother, that I shall devote my years to thee, shall work for thy redemption, shall love thee and be proud of thee and glory in thy power now lying dormant and shall strive to bring it to the light. Take my youth, my labors, my love, my all and do thou when I shall have died for thee, take me to thy bosom, an untamed, untamable African." -Hubert Harrison

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down

Are you going to these MLK events?

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Definitely going to the ones on campus. I don't think I can make the community service one though.

Jalili is offline Continuing the Fight

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
      Definitely going to the ones on campus. I don't think I can make the community service one though.
      Enjoy yourself
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...
      But we are young and Black, fearless and free...
      Every poem, every incandescent word is a personal revolution"
      Celeste "ayasha" Golden (my queen rest well and I'll see you when I get there.)
      http://awrittenlifeapoeticsoul.blogspot.com/
      http://justiseverything.blogspot.com/

JamesVI is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Fenix, did you go to hear Katrina Browne on campus? I was involved in making her film, so I'd be very interested in what you thought about it. Not that I agree with her about all of it ....

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Haha! I can't say I agreed with all of it either. I didn't get to stay for all of it. But...it was an interesting experience.

Thread Information