AfroNinpo is offline Media Assassin!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

To Answer Your Questions...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kefentse_Bandele
      #1. You already answered one of your questions. the sell out issue. Aaron aim is to have high ratings.....bottom line. When the ratings drop so will his contract. Aaron isnt trying to free Afrikan people nor enslave them. He is putting on a cartoon/show. His job is to generate money for the cartoon network & himself. NOT FREE U! the direction of the comic strip in the paper was conscious, imformative and humorous. this show is a black south park. John whitherspoon as a voice? and this show is conscious??? mr. bang, bang, bang???
      I don't remember saying anything about him trying to free anybody. All I've been saying is that he's presenting messages in a way that the average brother would listen to. Get it right!

#2. Who has made an opinion and hasnt watched the show? please name them.
      Erzulie Danto, Azania Speaks, G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A. (Well, you asked!)

#3. What is republicanish? Before John Kennedy mopst of your ancestors were republican. but you probably already know that...

Uhuru
      What does that have to do with what I was talking about? If you look at the context of my statement, I was using the term republicanish to examplify those who don't think for themselves and follow majority opinion. But since you mentioned it, yes, our ansestors WERE republican...until their party mutated into what has become the party of Bush. If me insulting Republicans bothers you...that's your burden. Keep it.
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur
      The Greatest Revenge Is MASSIVE Success!

Thumbs Up/Down

I remember this dude's response to the protests that the n-word was used grossly in his premier episode and he said, " I thought we had dealt with the n-word already."

I resent his notion of comedy and his presumption that he feels entitled to mock the entire African community and hold us hostage to his sense of humor. I especially am enraged because yt is laughing all the way to the bank.

Africans are not the target audience for his show, as Africans are not the target audience for his comic strip. His show is positioned as a "cross-over" show to appeal to so-called ultra-hip ytes such as the followers of The Daily Show and the once and forever gone (I hope) Chappelle's Show -you know "The Chris Rock is so funny" crowd.

Where's the Sand Man when you need him?
      "Humpty Dumpty was PUSHED"

Nefertiti is offline TOO BLACK TOO STRONG!!!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0
      Given: 5/0

Thumbs up oh uh huh!

Quote Originally Posted by AfroNinpo
      Grandad whoops them all the time! And I'm curious...what's degrading about it to you?
      First I would like to say peace&love I came back to this thread to reiterate, I been watchin the show on sundays when it does come on, and I can see it clearly now the message its getting across,But have to appeal exactly how some of us would understand it

Thumbs Up/Down

the new sambo's

We are in a era where the works of our ancestors and elders are being spat on by a growing number of dissatisfied youth in the Afrikan so-called community. We have red black and green, pimp hat wearin, crack sellin, crack promotin image going on these days where as long as you have the colors you down. Who fumbled the ball? Was it Huey being murdered dead in the streets of Oakland over a rumoured drug deal (i wasnt there)? Was it the abandonment of the Civil Rights movement? Is it the trickery and empty promises of our so-called leaders of 2day? I can't call it. But, as I stated in another post, the more I interact with Mama Assatas site the more detached I become. I just wish she could be apart of some of these conversation to see what is going on with the direction of her wanna-be-revolutionary, work a job, get a degree, get high and get some ass revolutionaries. hmmm. It is like most of the organizations I have been honored to contribute my service to...TO MUCH MALE EGO! I am finished with Aaron Mcgruder and his nigga-boy/black panther antics. I am finished posting in this Boondocks Forum.

The funny thing is, we have all these ideologies and opinion,
      yet not 1 mutha fukka has freed Mumia or noone else not even "OUR"selves.

Uhuru!!

AzaniaSpeaks is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Greetings! ImHotep!

It is with some interest that I have read your postings in this thread. . . .

To cut to the chase: Since it appears that you have exteme clarity of vision and formidable command of revolutionary prowess, I'd be most honored to know just who YOU have freed from this chaos and madness called yt supremacy???

For any of us, such as yourself, to be so perfectly aware of what is NOT being done, hasn't been done and apparently not gonna GET done yet withhold the claim of having DONE some of what needs to be done shows that something is assuredly gone awry. . . . .

FYI: In OUR cultures the youth would never and still do not use profanity in respect to nor in the presence of their elders. . . . in fact in the majority of cultures of melanated peoples globally -- even in this final epoch of gloom -- the youth show respect to those older themselves especially in public arenas. . . .

Just goes to prove that you are right: none of these m*#@ f**+s have freed anybody, apparently YOU are still in chains.
      The KMTK symbol SEBEK is the Crocodile image of the Divine Messenger and embodiment of the 'Word of God' SEBEK RULES COMMUNICATION, COMMUNION AND COMMUTING -- 'WORD/UTTERANCE' AS A CREATIVE FORCE IN FORMING REALITY!

Azania Speaks - With The Voice of the Crocodile - SEBEK - Divine Utterance! Peace Born of Power!

http://www.sur-bet.org Some United Responsible Blacks Embracing Togetherness

"Courage is not the absence of fear -- it is the possession of fortitude!"

TheQuietBrotha is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Guerilla Black
      The grandfather going out with a hoe is going to lead the black man into revolution, right? This cartoon is going to raise consciousness?This is what you suggest. I never said anything about spurring revolution. Now talk to the black masses which you told me to hang out with(who i am) and ask them about boondocks. DO they find it funny or informative and thought provoking? I know there are many of those in the masses that know about and have watched teh show and found it to be quite humourous, in a "its madd funny cuz its true" kinda way. How many wanted to be activists because of it or join the movement? Yea, my thoughts exactly.

Put this cartoon at 8 o clock, give it a damn movie, huge promotion and it still wont cause no increase in consciousness or black activism. IE, its not revolutionary.

Its not supposed to be revolutionary....................its called satire genius........and I, along with a number of other blacks who have watched the show, find it to be highly (if not brutally) honest satire............it just showcases some of black america for what it is....................besides, leading our folks to revolutionary action, I thought that was your job?

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A.
      Now stand up! I still will TIVO it and send it to TheQuietBrotha. He seems to like it.
      Thanks, but you need not send me anything................thats my buddy limewire's job...................

Thumbs Up/Down

okay so lets have a show about down low men...tenage homosexuals....muderers, rapist, etc...since that goes on in the hood also why not?
      Yall brothers think because someone opinion differs from yourn' it somehow reflects where they live. If i read 1 more statement as if yall know where others bruthas and sistas live imma just crack. Have you young brothers and sistas ever hear of sumthin called an improvised reality? A reality that is not yours but projected to you as such? Who said it wasnt my reality? What is real or keepin it real? is it bad ass kids? disrespectin elders? callin each other names? focusin in our pains instead of our triumphs? is that keepin it real? It may not be real to you, but its real to me...............its something Ive seen a lot of in my lifetime..........and theres many other blacks that will probably tell you something similar...............because Afrikan people call themselves a slave term for contempt is supposed to be a reality to me? Is this the reality of Assata whos site we post on? i think not! if you like the show then cool, but dont assume shit about me because i think different from you. My father is a revolutionary who shoes i only wish to fill and he loves the boondocks. this doesnt take away from his work for the people. i think aaron is a coon, not those who watch it. but i do feel that you support buffonery as I do when I watch Martin!

p.s. I wonder what Khalid Muhammad thought about Ice Cube and his liberation quotes!! oh yeah...he said ice cube melted on him...
      So in closing, go find a quote from a real revolutionary to make a real point!
      so in response, I say learn to read......................I do not recall calling Ice Cube "revolutionary" or anything of that sort. And I made no mention of Khallid muhammad...........I just said consider the message in teh quote, but I see the messenger is more important than the message in your eyes............. however, I would also like you to consider this quote. The messenger is not an activist, nor is he khallid muhammad............but I think the message is something to THINK about..........

"5-0's still corrupt
      stupid gangs still bangin'
      Stick up kids still stickin'
      nasty hookers still trickin'
      all the pimps still pimpin'
      and all the crackheads trippin'
      While the dealers still sellin'
      so I'll refrain from the yellin'
      And the preachin'
      cuz who the fuck would I reach man
      Niggaz don't wanna stop that, they wanna live fat
      who'd wanna clean up their act
      when the papes come in stacks"

Guru of gangstarr

Thumbs Up/Down

"it's not suppose to be revolutarionary its called satire genius?" LOL
      Satire can be revolutionary but not all satire is revolutionary. Get your life together.

The Cartoon Network's Adult Swim ordered 20 new episodes of the controversial cartoon series, "The Boondocks." The new episodes of the show, which is nominated for an NAACP Image Award, are slated to run later this year. McGruder is executive producer of the show along with Reginald Hudlin."The Boondocks" follows the adventures of two boys, Riley and Huey Freeman, who experience a culture clash after moving from Chicago's Southside, to the suburbs with their grandfather. The cartoon, which airs during the Adult Swim block of programming, came under fire over a recent episode. Civil rights activist leader Al Sharpton is demanding an apology from The Cartoon Network, after a Jan. 15 episode aired featuring slain civil-rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. using the N-word - the day before the United States' national holiday honoring Dr. King. The episode, titled "The Return of the King," featured King waking from a coma and using the n-word in an angry speech about his issues with today's society. "We think Aaron McGruder came up with a thought-provoking way of not only showing Dr. King's bravery, but also of reminding us of what he stood and fought for and why, even today, it is important for all of us to remember that and to continue to take action," The Cartoon Network said in defense of the episode.w
      "I come with my heart bearing truth, and there are no lies in it..."

John P. is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

nothing wrong with the boondocks...people are going nuts. until you can breakdown one of their shows in analysis saying why this part was bad or that part was bad, i'm not convince. i haven't read or heard a valid argument for why it's a bad show. stoping whinning because it's a cartoon and actually watch it and laugh at the realism. some you are becoming nuts and cutting yourself from reality for real...1....
      I'm like Martin Luther king, people listen to me alot/
      it's non-violent non-violent, till i'm hit wita rock/
      then it's coretta fuck this, gone hand me my glock/ -50cent

Gotta dope dealers bop, wita righteous state of mind/
      Guess i'm half of my pops, enlighten by the qu'ran/- ME

Nesayem is offline Afrika Is In You

Thumbs Up/Down

Boondocks’ King Episode Prompts Protest Threats from Rev. Al Sharpton
      Date: Wednesday, January 25, 2006
      By: Leonard Greene, Special to BlackAmericaWeb.com

“Boondocks” creator Aaron McGruder is in the midst of another controversy, this one over a Martin Luther King Day episode of the animated version of his hit syndicated comic strip in which the celebrated civil rights leader comes back to life and utters the N-word.

The Rev. Al Sharpton, president of the National Action Network, said McGruder and the Cartoon Network, which aired the episode, desecrated King’s name, and threatened to launch a protest at the network’s corporate headquarters unless there is an apology and a promise not to air the show again.

“While I can appreciate Mr. McGruder and his achievements, this particular episode is over the line,” Sharpton said in a statement. “If we don't receive an apology, we will picket the corporate headquarters."

In the episode, entitled “The Return of the King,” McGruder depicts the civil rights leader emerging from a coma after 32 years to deal with post 9/11 America in which he quickly becomes “a despised terrorist sympathizer.”

A disillusioned King, a voting rights champion, awakens just before Election Day 2000 -- when George Bush narrowly defeated Al Gore in a controversial election that went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court -- and is turned away from a polling place because of “voting irregularities.”

In one scene, Dr. King says, "Will you ignorant n***as please shut the hell up?!"

The episode aired on Cartoon Network Sunday, Jan. 15, King’s birthday, a day before the national holiday in his honor.

“This episode in no way was meant to offend or 'desecrate' the name of Dr. King,” the network said in a statement. “We think Aaron McGruder came up with a thought-provoking way of not only showing Dr. King's bravery, but also of reminding us of what he stood and fought for, and why, even today, it is important for all of us to remember that and to continue to take action.”

McGruder could not be reached for comment.

“The Boondocks” is based on McGruder’s successful comic strip about an eccentric suburban grandfather who becomes the legal guardian of his two grandsons and moves them from Chicago’s South Side to live with him.

McGruder’s groundbreaking strip -- which is syndicated in more than 250 newspapers -- has drawn fire over the years for its edginess.

In 2003, the Washington Post decided against running a strip that suggested Condoleezza Rice's single status may be contributing to the continuation of the War on Terrorism.

"Maybe if there was a man in the world who Condoleezza truly loved, she wouldn't be so hell-bent to destroy it," a character says.

The following year, a bunch of newspapers dropped the strip for a week when McGruder depicted a fictional Apprentice-like “reality” TV show called, “Can a N***a Get a Job?” hosted by rap music mogul Russell Simmons.

The comic strip has also mocked Whitney Houston’s drug problem, Martha Stewart’s criminal charges and BET’s oversaturation of rap videos.

The TV version made its debut in November, and has been widely criticized for its incessant use of the N-word. “The Boondocks” was all set to make a few jokes about Rosa Parks in an episode last year, but cut the references after the civil rights icon died.

But on the subject of King, there was no change of heart, prompting Sharpton to protest that McGruder and the network have gone too far. Sharpton said the Cartoon Network’s statement is not an apology, and is planning on “moving forward.”

“It's way over the line to do this to Dr. King,” Sharpton said in an interview. “I don't think they would have let him do that to an icon in another community. Why should we allow people to be so fast and careless with people in our community?”

“They wouldn't defame Lech Walesa,” Sharpton said of the network. “They wouldn't defame Golda Meir. They shouldn't defame Dr. King."

JanayaX is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Boondocks is the highest rated show on adult swim. I think part of it is because its a black cartoon (the same reason proud family got such high ratings upon inception). As far as white people not showing negative aspects of thier culture tune in 30 min before the boondocks and watch the "satire" on American Dad or Fox's Family Guy. I agree with the point made about each character representing a person or type of person in the black community, one can't protect people from seeing this in reality so why not show these issues in a new light on tv?

I have met mgruder on one occasion and it seems like he wants to get positive change within the black community. All of tv is propoinfotainment and ment for those three purposes. The boondocks is also on adult swim for a reason (language,violence) perhaps children staying up this late in the first place is a bad idea. the use of the n-word could possibly used to make us think how ignorant it sounds.

Me personally I would rather see BET cut down all the scantaly clad women doing the laffy taffy.

IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/0

Quote Originally Posted by BlackIsPower
      ...almost ignorance is celebrated on the show and i don't find that revolutionary or funny
      speak that.
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

Nia Imani is offline Purpose Faith

Thumbs Up/Down

It's the profanity and the constant use of the n-word that really irks me about the show. It's about as bad as some of the unconscious hip-hop and rap videos. All that's missing is talk about 24 inch rims, Bentleys, and bling. There are better ways to get your message across Aaron.

IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/0

u should hit Aaron up at his myspace.com i am covinced that he needs to actually get out the house more and he might come up with rational television concepts.
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information