• Keeps it funny.

13 15.12%
    • Keeps it revolutionary.

12 13.95%
    • Keeps it stupid.

29 33.72%
    Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Boondocks

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Okay...now I've seen TWO episodes that was able to make me smile. The one with the white guy with the Afro, LOL!!! That one was "aaight." Still too many N-Bombs though.

Nesayem is offline Afrika Is In You

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

'Boondocks' taking a hiatus

By Terry Armour
      Tribune staff reporter
      Published February 27, 2006, 4:13 PM CST

Apparently, Aaron McGruder needs a break.

The creator of the controversial "The Boondocks" comic strip—which has skewered everything from the George Bush administration to R Kelly's legal troubles to, recently, Vice President Dick Cheney's hunting accident—is taking six months off.

Universal Press Syndicate confirmed today that McGruder will go on hiatus beginning March 27, resuming the strip, which appears in 350 newspapers including the Chicago Tribune, in October.

It was unclear whether McGruder would concentrate on his Cartoon Network version of the comic strip during the break. McGruder couldn't be reached for comment and was preparing to issue a statement through Universal Press Syndicate, which is offering reprints of past cartoons.

"The Chicago Tribune will decide at a later date whether to run the replacement 'Boondocks' strips or try out a new strip until October," said Geoff Brown, the Tribune's associate managing editor for Features. Brown declined to comment on which alternate strips are under consideration.

McGruder's syndicated "Boondocks" strips began appearing in newspapers in April of 1999. In October, the "Boondocks" series premiered on the Cartoon Network.

Thumbs Up/Down

Yo fo real I watch the show anytime I can. Yah gotta look deep for messages, like when Gin Rummy and EWIII robbed the Arab. The Cop symbolized the amerikkkan people and EWIII was Bush and Gin Rummy was Rumsfeld.

Uncle Ruckus is an Uncle Tom Byotch but sometimes some of the things he says are funny.

re-vitilligo LMBAO

S-1
      S-1 is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I believe its a tool against us,now all the white kids are really gonna think they know what their talking about.

manifestdestiny is offline Administrator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0
      Given: 2/0

I think the Boondocks represent the Afrikan collective in Amerikkka. Its a sugar coated pill for those that don't like social medication. We all know that the N-word is a househood name in many of our communities, the show trys to plant a seed and leave the watering to the individual nature curiousity. Just think about the character names it gives light to this.
      Huey-conscious brotha
      Mr Freeman-elders that have fought, loss, and retired in contentment
      I forgot the other lil fella name-represent the culturally numb youth and their potential destructive side
      The self-hating fat dude-represents a parody of the traitors against the community that glory white culture
      The Interacial Family- they represent the assimilated Afrikans in our community
      Like the other brotha said, that show has alot of info it pushs. You have to read between the lines.

BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I like the Boondocks because it's revolutionary. Besides,I bet there are lots of revolutionary children who watch this.
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empire—so strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by BlackQueen View Post
      I like the Boondocks because it's revolutionary. Besides,I bet there are lots of revolutionary children who watch this.
      The show isn't made for children but I'm sure there are plenty of children who watch it.
      We are not citizens of amerikkka. We are victims of amerikkka.

Thumbs Up/Down

True story...

I have the 1st season DVD box set and I took it to work one day to watch it at lunch on my portable DVD player wit my homies. We were watching one particular episode called "Grand Dad's Fight" As we were all huddled in our corner watching it, here comes a white woman sticking her nose in wanting to know what we're watching and laughing so hard at. For anyone who has seen this episode, you'll remember when Huey was talkin about "Nigga Moments". This was the part that this white lady thought was just utterly hilarious. She liked it so much she went out and bought the DVD herself! Mind youm she'd never even heard of the Boondocks before that day. Though we chuckled at the same things she found humorous, it's somehow different when a white person laughs. I sorta felt what Dave Chappelle felt when he had his epiphanny to walk away from that $50mil contract.

Since that day I don't look at the Boondocks the same. I can just imagine how she laughed when she saw Uncle Ruckus' (no relation) parts.
      We are not citizens of amerikkka. We are victims of amerikkka.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Student View Post
      I have the 1st season DVD box set and I took it to work one day to watch it at lunch on my portable DVD player wit my homies. We were watching one particular episode called "Grand Dad's Fight" As we were all huddled in our corner watching it, here comes a white woman sticking her nose in wanting to know what we're watching and laughing so hard at. For anyone who has seen this episode, you'll remember when Huey was talkin about "Nigga Moments". This was the part that this white lady thought was just utterly hilarious. She liked it so much she went out and bought the DVD herself! Mind youm she'd never even heard of the Boondocks before that day. Though we chuckled at the same things she found humorous, it's somehow different when a white person laughs. I sorta felt what Dave Chappelle felt when he had his epiphanny to walk away from that $50mil contract.

Since that day I don't look at the Boondocks the same. I can just imagine how she laughed when she saw Uncle Ruckus' (no relation) parts.
      That reminds me of this time at my old job where this white boy was trying to convey to me how funny he thought "Don't Be a Menace" was. I mean...he was "genuinely" just telling me about a part he thought was funny. He "REALLY" wasn't trying to be offensive and I KNEW he wasn't trying to be offensive either...but I had to tell him to get the f*** outta my face with that bulls***. It made me feel really awkward to see him re-inacting the Wayans brothers brand of comedy.

Jalili is offline Continuing the Fight

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by rebelAfrika View Post
      That reminds me of this time at my old job where this white boy was trying to convey to me how funny he thought "Don't Be a Menace" was. I mean...he was "genuinely" just telling me about a part he thought was funny. He "REALLY" wasn't trying to be offensive and I KNEW he wasn't trying to be offensive either...but I had to tell him to get the f*** outta my face with that bulls***. It made me feel really awkward to see him re-inacting the Wayans brothers brand of comedy.
      Man I hear yall on this show 2 or 3 different people one of their (Boondocks) comics and see how they laugh at different things. Their was this one strip where Huey tries to point out how Jazmine is black most black people you should think it's funny based on how that is a true event that happens to often. I had a simlar time when I was showing a few friends a book of the comic one of their "white friends" walked up they should him and he laughed and the asked "why is he trying so hard to tell her shes black shes mixed" they all thought it was funny Me on the other had wanted to knock some heads.
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...
      But we are young and Black, fearless and free...
      Every poem, every incandescent word is a personal revolution"
      Celeste "ayasha" Golden (my queen rest well and I'll see you when I get there.)
      http://awrittenlifeapoeticsoul.blogspot.com/
      http://justiseverything.blogspot.com/

JOSIE is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddiej View Post
      It may depict real life issues, but the word n***a is used way to often. And let the truth be told anyone that uses the word has no self respect for themselves nor for any any of the African Family. There is no way that anyone can justify that it has been turned into a term that is socially acceptable. Yt nows calls yt n****r,n***a as well as they still call us that nasty name.When will we learn.
      They exagerate the use of the word possibly to make u uncomfortable because thats how I felt when I watched it the 1st few times. I couldn't get into it because I thought it was nonsense too. I couldn't get pass the nigga ever other sentence. People talk like that but not like that, ya know? But one day I decided to really watch it and I think it is an exaggerated depiction of how people really act. Next thing u know, I caught myself laughing. Last episode I saw was when the grandfather was beat up by a blind man. I thought that was a good one.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by JOSIE View Post
      They exagerate the use of the word possibly to make u uncomfortable because thats how I felt when I watched it the 1st few times. I couldn't get into it because I thought it was nonsense too. I couldn't get pass the nigga ever other sentence. People talk like that but not like that, ya know? But one day I decided to really watch it and I think it is an exaggerated depiction of how people really act. Next thing u know, I caught myself laughing. Last episode I saw was when the grandfather was beat up by a blind man. I thought that was a good one.
      Thats exactly my experience...except the episode that got me to laugh was the one with Riley and his art teacher (the liberal white guy with the Afro, LOL!!!). Check my comment (from this thread!) on January 16, 2006:

The Boondocks f****** sucks.

JOSIE is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Thats exactly my experience...except the episode that got me to laugh was the one with Riley and his art teacher (the liberal white guy with the Afro, LOL!!!). Check my comment (from this thread!) on January 16, 2006:
      LOL!

Foot in mouth huh? Happens to the best of us. All of us. LOL!

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Like someone said before, all of the characters have a meaning (you can wikipedia it if you don't believe me). Uncle Ruckus, for instance, is based off of Uncle Remus.

Speaking of The Boondocks, the new episodes will be out in June 2007.

In the meantime, check out these music vids that I did using Boondocks scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYLOTXS52Vo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX0RP7RAw6A
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Jalili is offline Continuing the Fight

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

For the most part the show is like the comics everything has a point from the use of the N word to the different characters. Everyone things its silly at first or that they are going to far but when you get right down to it this nation and its people have gone to far. People do use the word nigga every other word and think nothing of it and I have seen and sad to say been involved in a few "Nigga moments". It makes you uncomfortable to hear the world and some of the comments of the characters to in a way open your eyes to whats really going on around you.

The best episode is the one when MLK supposedly woke up today from a 30 year co mu if you see that one or the "Gansterlishes" episode you will (in my opinion get a better understanding of why I think it (for lack of a better phrase) "Keeps it real"
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...
      But we are young and Black, fearless and free...
      Every poem, every incandescent word is a personal revolution"
      Celeste "ayasha" Golden (my queen rest well and I'll see you when I get there.)
      http://awrittenlifeapoeticsoul.blogspot.com/
      http://justiseverything.blogspot.com/

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information