Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boondocks

IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/0
      Given: 0/0

Boondocks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Somebody explain to me why this cartoon is so popular? Also, why are they are television spewing the n-word every 2 minutes? Why do so-called conscious people like this cartoon? Elders beating each other up? Men unknowingly taking care of prostitutes? This is relevant comedy? This is conscious? I have watched two episodes that ended w/ a headache. I'd rather listen to old Red Foxx tapes.
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

Sierra is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

I absolutely agree. I have stopped watching the show after the prostitute episode. I know it is satire, but I just didn't get it. But maybe that's just me.

GoodRain is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

They will tell you cartoons were originally meant for adults but they were meant for children since thats who mostly watch them. They are full of lies and ignorant fantansies.
      I tuned in to movie Shrek once. I only watched about twenty minutes of it.
      There is the so called good looking Caucasian princess, the Olga who is big, green, and male. He just happens to have a wide Nubian nose. They alienized him with other weird body features. And of course the donkey of who is of coursed played by Eddie Murphy in voice. Olga is secretly in love with the princess but considers himself too ugly and ashamed to admit it to her. Kids need to be aware enough to catch this kind of stuff.

Mosi Ngozi is offline Pan-Afrikanist

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 9/0
      Given: 13/1

I don't watch it because it actually serves no pupose and it isn't even funny.
      You are here because you know something,what you
      know you can't explain,but you feel it.You've felt it
      your entire life; that theres something wrong with the
      world.You don't know what it is but it's there; a
      splinter in your mind... the matrix

Moorish Rebel is offline Nkrumah-Tureist

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

To a certain degree, I think the cartoon depict real life issues with our people. The good, the bad and the ugly.
      Forward to ONE Unified Liberated Africa

AfroNinpo is offline Media Assassin!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I think you guys aren't looking deeply enough into what Brother McGruder is doing. He takes these issues that our people go through on a daily basis (if we like them or not) and fleshes them out. The prostitute episode went a little far...but the elders fighting was about how we can make ourselves look like fools in the name of revenge, the R. Kelly episode was about how STUPID we look supporting a child molester, the first episode was about integration into white upper class society, etc. Each of the main characters represent different groups of our people...Huey is the revolutionary, Riley is the mainstream, Grandad is the old school, Du Bois represents our Democrats, Jasmine represents the mindless masses (aka black zombies) and Uncle Ruckus represents the house nigger. I do understand the argument about the use of nigga/er throughout the cartoon, but as far as the general content, look beyond the obvious and read between the lines. I've been reading Boondocks strips for a while, so maybe I am watching it from a different angle. I ask all of you to give it one more try and view it based on the things I've written here. Do it for your brother!
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur
      The Greatest Revenge Is MASSIVE Success!

SoularFlarez is offline Her-Em-Akhet

Afrika iz my Block but tha whole Earth iz my Hood
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by AfroNinpo
      I think you guys aren't looking deeply enough into what Brother McGruder is doing. He takes these issues that our people go through on a daily basis (if we like them or not) and fleshes them out. The prostitute episode went a little far...but the elders fighting was about how we can make ourselves look like fools in the name of revenge, the R. Kelly episode was about how STUPID we look supporting a child molester, the first episode was about integration into white upper class society, etc. Each of the main characters represent different groups of our people...Huey is the revolutionary, Riley is the mainstream, Grandad is the old school, Du Bois represents our Democrats, Jasmine represents the mindless masses (aka black zombies) and Uncle Ruckus represents the house nigger. I do understand the argument about the use of nigga/er throughout the cartoon, but as far as the general content, look beyond the obvious and read between the lines. I've been reading Boondocks strips for a while, so maybe I am watching it from a different angle. I ask all of you to give it one more try and view it based on the things I've written here. Do it for your brother!
      word ^^.... they could tone down on tha n-bomb...but that how some of us talk. i hear alot of elders complainen bout heads my age on tha buses n trains,how we talk n what not so maybe he was bringen that strong to show how extreeme it is hearen/sayen it all da time

WombanAuset is offline Sacred Militant Womb-Man

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 5/0

its sickening to watch it..but its what is going on in our world...reality cartoon...unfortunately ..
      Ahoofe ntua ka, suban pa na hia- physical beauty does not count much, it is good character that counts.
      See a black man dead, from a white man's powder
      See a white man scared, from a black man's power~Timbaland

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

It may depict real life issues, but the word n***a is used way to often. And let the truth be told anyone that uses the word has no self respect for themselves nor for any any of the African Family. There is no way that anyone can justify that it has been turned into a term that is socially acceptable. Yt nows calls yt n****r,n***a as well as they still call us that nasty name.When will we learn.

WombanAuset is offline Sacred Militant Womb-Man

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 5/0

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddiej
      It may depict real life issues, but the word n***a is used way to often. And let the truth be told anyone that uses the word has no self respect for themselves nor for any any of the African Family. There is no way that anyone can justify that it has been turned into a term that is socially acceptable. Yt nows calls yt n****r,n***a as well as they still call us that nasty name.When will we learn.
      I agree with you.
      Ahoofe ntua ka, suban pa na hia- physical beauty does not count much, it is good character that counts.
      See a black man dead, from a white man's powder
      See a white man scared, from a black man's power~Timbaland

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddiej
      Like Soular said, the use of the "n" word in the cartoon is not too far removed from how some of our Brothers and Sisters talk. It is an unfortunate reality, yes, but a reality nonetheless. When I was growing up, some of the Brothers at my elementary school would use the "n" word as much as the characters in the Boondocks use them. The same can be said when I would go to the barbershop and get a cut: some of the barbers would use the word liberally.

The word is USED, and I think it would be wrong for us to pretend that our people do not use the word. I don't like the word anymore than the rest of you, but it is an unfortunate reality that we have to come to terms with.

Peace.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/0

The problem is that our children need to be protected from this cartoon. They will watching and learning and whatever the message in this cartoon is, its not obvious enough. It appears to be a glorification of niggadom and nigga ways. (Now doesnt that sounds completely idiotic even in this context?) And children will just come away thinking its okay to say the n-word, date prostitutes, beat up one another etc. The moral of each episode is deeply covered. No child under 16 years of age is going to be looking for it or paying attention.

And as far as i am concerned the white man's argument that "its up to parents to make sure they children dont view or hear objectionable material" is getting old. The community, parent or not, is responsible for this. Everyone of us was a child once (duh) and we ought not be protected on one side and tempted on another. Our understanding of society is not propelled solely by our parents and unless they are going to stop requiring parents to work nightshifts or morning shifts (so they can stay up all night and watch tv with their children) there is no way in Orun (Heaven) that every single black child can be protected from this garbage disguised and rationalized as "a conscious look @ black society".

White people don't do cartoons about the worst of their culture, with their own people calling themselves the most hurtful names about themselves and call it comedy. They parody the exceptions, the fray, not their whole community. And they do it in moderation. Most of their community does not bring down white people. Most of our comedy does bring down black people.

besides white children watch television shows about "white trailer trash" then go watch their fathers build cars on the assembly line, operate on patients at the hospital, fill cavities at their dental practices or they watch some other white person do it. They can see it comedy because their lives dont mimmick it. In contrast, i see a gang of grown men trying to live and act like "Lil' Wayne, 50Cent and Too Short". We have campaigned hard to have people receive our comedy, music and movies as "real as it gets" and although it wasnt while they were doing it 10 years ago, art has finally caught up to reality and our children are making the videos filmed by white directors with black rappers into their new reality. They are mimmicking the art!

P.s. Riley isnt mainstream. He is a borderline street baby gangsta/thug. If that is mainstream, we are in trouble.
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

Hue-Man is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I think its all funny, until someone from another race decides laugh, and we ignorantly mistake them for laghing with us, rather than laughing at us. I think the only reason this cartoon is still on the air, is beause yt cant get enough of laughing at us. Youd have to be a fool to think that they can relate to the subject matter. The networt, telivision station owner/owners (who I wouldnt doubt as being white) or whateva, wanted to air it , because its humor with truth behind it. My question is how is it humorous to them ?

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

The n word is a part of our everyday life and the use of it is out of control and no way will i indorse. I ahve friends that use the term and i tell them don't use it around me. And for the ones that can't give me the the proper respect to refrain from using the word then i kick'em to the curb.Yt is laughing at us not with us and that's why they continue to put shows like this on t.v.

AfroNinpo is offline Media Assassin!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by IfasehunReincarnated
      P.s. Riley isnt mainstream. He is a borderline street baby gangsta/thug. If that is mainstream, we are in trouble.
      Unfortunately, he seems to be the mainstream. At least it seems that way in ATLanta. Throw in a couple shawty's and yeeeeeeeeeeeahs and he'd be right at home.

I do see all of your points about white folks laughing at our society. That was the same argument used against Dr. Cosby's statements and Dave Chapelle's show. But when is it okay to bring up these kinds of issues (our dirty laundry)? You and I all know how hard it is to get our zombie brothers and sisters to come to a rally, lecture, meeting, or anything else that has a positive message and could possibly crap all over their lifestyles. The only way to get the message to our (mentally) sleeping brothers and sisters is to use mediums that they can get with. How many brothers and sisters woke up thanks to Hip Hop? Many! The only thing I think McGruder could do is be more obvious. I thought he was being quite blunt. I guess this one is tearing me in two directions.
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur
      The Greatest Revenge Is MASSIVE Success!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information