Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Walk Wit Me is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Goodbye Uncle Tom review: Its Pure Trash

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      I know this flick gets alot of praise on this site.
      I haven't seen the movie in its entirety but I have seen clips from youtube and I do remember being disturbed by the fact that slaves were smiling at situations that didn't warrant a smile.

heres a review from IMDB

I ordered the movie and watched it last night. It was a total mockery of slavery and what the slaves went through. The types of things that happened were true, (like the slave breeding and breeding farms, white massas raping the young slave girls, horrible torturing methods, the ripping off slave genitals) but the way it was presented in the film made it seem like it was a joke, and to be taken lightly. There were many scenes in which the slaves were being sexually exploited, but the "actors" were directed to smile during the exploits. What slave would smile and giggle while being given an enema after enduring a long nasty middle passage? Or get a hard from a white massa examening his genitals like he is an animal? In reality slaves were probablly tired and sick and in some state of mental and physical shock after surving the middle passage and in no way shape or form even remotely entertained by being examined like animals by strange looking people in a whole new world. Lets be for real.

Also, there was a scene in which a 13 yr old child was begging the camera man to have sex with her, BEGGING. Im pretty sure there was alot of interracial sexual exploits back during slave days, but what 13 yr old is going to beg a massa to have sex with her??? More than likely those children were deathly afraid of the massas, especially witnessing acts of violence in which the masses would brutally beat and torture slaves. What 13 yr old would be sexually stimulated by someone who can beat her to her bloody death at any given moment?

Another scene that was pure trash: the slave breeding farm. I have no doubt in my mind that this actually took place, but when the "stud" opened his mouth to express pleasure in getting ready to have sex with the female slave, you could actually hear a horse in the background! It was if the directors were implying that this "stud" was a horse! WTH????

Another tacky scene: little african slave boys naked from head to toe being painted gold and bronze by what appeared to be a homosexual white man. He was using his bare hands to paint and the little boys seemed to like it! They were very feminine in their mannerisms, tilting their heads to the side and smiling, hands on hips. The camera man repeatedly zoomed in on these little boys' genitals. I really dont even understand the purpose of this scene accept to express some type of homosexual fantasy with little boys.

The mammy scene where this huge black lady is walking up the stairs, and each time she takes a step, music is played in the background, like they are making fun of her huge size. Speaking of music, the music through out the entire movie was light-hearted. It was very innapropriate for the subject matter.

I could go on and on about the how trashy this "documentary" was. This movie makes light of the horrors and brutality slaves went through. It was like watching a movie about the Holocaust that Jews went through with Hitler, but with a funny twist.

Jalili is offline Continuing the Fight

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

I can agree the little I saw just made me sick to my stomach and I didn't watch past the scene of them coming off the boat.

This is just a film by white people for white people to make them see slavery as something they can smile about and not feel guilty of "Because we benefited from it and liked it in some cases"

Those bastrads would really hate it if we made an Anti-semetic film....much like The Passion of the (Crackkker) Christ. But to them we are pure trash any way so I never expect much from them fuckers.......just their sickness.
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...
      But we are young and Black, fearless and free...
      Every poem, every incandescent word is a personal revolution"
      Celeste "ayasha" Golden (my queen rest well and I'll see you when I get there.)
      http://awrittenlifeapoeticsoul.blogspot.com/
      http://justiseverything.blogspot.com/

Rahameem Israel is offline DELETED

Thumbs Up/Down

Regardless Of What You Think Of It, It Delt With The Process More Than Any Film I Ever Seen Made By Any Amerikkkan Movie Studio Or Director.

Nefertiti is offline TOO BLACK TOO STRONG!!!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0
      Given: 5/0

Exclamation

I seen some of this film I had to force myself to watch...In my opinion Crackker has not still paid for what he done

Blackmind is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

When I first watched the film I felt the same way. At the same time, it was good that they exposed some of the truths about slavery that other films wont. When I first watched it, I asked my brother what was going on, why were so many people smiling and he responded by saying that slavery was so psychological that it is crazy for me to think that some didn't cope with it by becoming willing participants or finding something to laugh, smile, or joke about when things became too serious to handle. yes the movie does get a little too comical, but if you can look past that there is still some knowledge to either absorb or present to others.

SoularFlarez is offline Her-Em-Akhet

Afrika iz my Block but tha whole Earth iz my Hood
      Thumbs Up/Down

i couldnt watch it more than 15-20minutes.....

MsLioness is offline Administrator

Thumbs Up/Down

It was disgusting.

Doesn't it open up with some words by Harriet Beecher Stowe? I thought that was a good idea, showing that the lady who got praised for writing Uncle Toms Cabin was a racist, and her perception of slavery and black people and slaves was from a racist's perception.

It was difficult to watch, in general. But I understand, also, that we learn from Willy Lynch's story/program/speech/pamphlet, that the tactic used to break a horse was used to break a human being. The feelings you got when you watched it, of embarrassment and anger and insecurity, was the exact feeling intended....if you are mentally less than human, then you, like the slave and the slave-master in the documentary, would have laughed.

Every single scene was mayhem. Slavery was crazy, but organized. The documentary shows that also.

After watching this, I just wanted to be with my people even more and around whitey even less.

Forward.

Blackmind is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by MsLioness View Post

After watching this, I just wanted to be with my people even more and around whitey even less.

Forward.
      Couldn't have said it better myself,

AfroNinpo is offline Media Assassin!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I think the writer of the review just didn't get what the director was trying to do. It is my belief that the director was trying to show how white folks took the plight of our ancestors quite lightly. In fact, they enjoyed the way they exploited us. With the smiling and the begging, etc... that, in my opinion, showed the amount of programming that occured among our people (some of us see the aftermath in our grand/greatgrandparents). I think the reviewer missed the point of some of the subtleties of the movie. But hey, we all view things slightly differently.
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur
      The Greatest Revenge Is MASSIVE Success!

Vic da god is offline Warrior

Jamaica to Queens Village to BK, New York
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

I agree with the majority on the intentions of the film. WHen I first swa this film I was blown away by how graphic it was. It's focus is one of slavery from the caucasoid perspective, and how they viewed us.

It is good to understand the mentality of the caucasian's who enslaved, raped, beat, Murdered, brutalized, bred, and auctioned the slaves, because that mentality of theirs, GENERALLY, still exists today.

As far as the slaves' reactions to how they were treated, being all comical. I can agree with it, ONLY in understanding the director' intentions, which again is to focus on how The Slave Massas viewed the slaves as comical beings/animals they had NO respect for.

The part with the scientist telling how animalistic africans were, showing off gangrene diseased slaves without the slightest sign of hurt, and even and reasoning why we aren't worth their emotions. Explaining why our sexual organs are more pronounced than theirs do to our animal nature, and so on are further reference of how they looked at us through their own eyes.

JUST In Case we ever making the MISTAKE of trusting Whitey, the video should come to mind. I appreciate it in that sense that I can see how FUCKED UP they were to my family, throughout history up until now (Sean Bell) continues to prove that.

It makes clear, that we are living with the descendants of the enemy. I believe the enemy is not just white people specifically, but any people who show signs of ignorance, and a love for destruction, chaos, in denial the truth due to lacking a (w)holistic approach to their actions. Whether or not this is due to them ultimately missing a few links, I will find out, but their 'special' situation prevents them from being trusted.

ON THE OTHER HAND...

Honestly though thinking about it now as i write, I could envision SELF HATRED brewing in a young inexperienced, uneducated child looking at the slaves' portrayed behavior in the film. In that case I can understand your anger as well as that from the quote u included.

(damn I hope I didnt fuck some poor kid up out there)

This would definelety call for a deeper look into our African past, and the reasoning behind how we even got in that position to begin wit. I honestly feel this IS one of the most serious questions that children ask in response to our history of slavery, which leads to our current Independent education unified around the unfolding of the TRUTH. We are walking together on that one.

Deep down they are scared as hell of the dormant gods sleeping within the masses. the times are changing and the slaves are undergoing a transformation and the truth is unveiled.

Knowing the past, living in the present, and stepping into the future. THe becoming of The trifold gods and goddesses.

Walk Wit Me is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Vic da god View Post
      I agree with the majority on the intentions of the film. WHen I first swa this film I was blown away by how graphic it was. It's focus is one of slavery from the caucasoid perspective, and how they viewed us.

It is good to understand the mentality of the caucasian's who enslaved, raped, beat, Murdered, brutalized, bred, and auctioned the slaves, because that mentality of theirs, GENERALLY, still exists today.

As far as the slaves' reactions to how they were treated, being all comical. I can agree with it, ONLY in understanding the director' intentions, which again is to focus on how The Slave Massas viewed the slaves as comical beings/animals they had NO respect for.

The part with the scientist telling how animalistic africans were, showing off gangrene diseased slaves without the slightest sign of hurt, and even and reasoning why we aren't worth their emotions. Explaining why our sexual organs are more pronounced than theirs do to our animal nature, and so on are further reference of how they looked at us through their own eyes.

JUST In Case we ever making the MISTAKE of trusting Whitey, the video should come to mind. I appreciate it in that sense that I can see how FUCKED UP they were to my family, throughout history up until now (Sean Bell) continues to prove that.

It makes clear, that we are living with the descendants of the enemy. I believe the enemy is not just white people specifically, but any people who show signs of ignorance, and a love for destruction, chaos, in denial the truth due to lacking a (w)holistic approach to their actions. Whether or not this is due to them ultimately missing a few links, I will find out, but their 'special' situation prevents them from being trusted.

ON THE OTHER HAND...

Honestly though thinking about it now as i write, I could envision SELF HATRED brewing in a young inexperienced, uneducated child looking at the slaves' portrayed behavior in the film. In that case I can understand your anger as well as that from the quote u included.

(damn I hope I didnt fuck some poor kid up out there)

This would definelety call for a deeper look into our African past, and the reasoning behind how we even got in that position to begin wit. I honestly feel this IS one of the most serious questions that children ask in response to our history of slavery, which leads to our current Independent education unified around the unfolding of the TRUTH. We are walking together on that one.

Deep down they are scared as hell of the dormant gods sleeping within the masses. the times are changing and the slaves are undergoing a transformation and the truth is unveiled.

Knowing the past, living in the present, and stepping into the future. THe becoming of The trifold gods and goddesses.

even though I'm currently broke as fuck.

I just ordered the flick off amazon (can't find it online) based on this post.

never seen the entire thing.

Vic da god is offline Warrior

Jamaica to Queens Village to BK, New York
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

Quote Originally Posted by Walk Wit Me View Post
      even though I'm currently broke as fuck.

I just ordered the flick off amazon (can't find it online) based on this post.

never seen the entire thing.
      Damn bruh, U aint playin I feel U.
      I had to buy it also like 4 years ago... It was part of a Mondo Cane Collection by Blue Underground... the only way to have gotten it in high quality. cost me like $125. Amazon.com: Mondo Cane Collection - Limited Edition (Mondo Cane / Women of the World / Mondo Cane 2 / Africa Addio - English Version / Africa Addio - Directors' Cut / Goodbye Uncle Tom - English Version / Addio Zio Tom - Director's Cut / The Godfathe

that joint was mad bread.

TheStruggle is offline Self I

Thumbs Up/Down

I saw slave breed on youtube, and I say by the judge of the movie's nature is WRONG according to a learning process. Thats the thing about these days, the watch of corrupt versions, and styles of the slave master can make out a lost of our people thats often make it only for self to often survived in war against ourselves. It makes even harder for the single mothers and broken homes.

Thumbs Up/Down

I Think The Majority Of You All Who Posted Missed The Whole Point Of The Movie... And It Opens Up Another Door Of, If You Couldn't Get Past 15 Min Of Watching This, Then How Can You Expect A Person To Listen To More Than The First 15 Words Of What You Have To Say About Subjects Like This...

They Were Not Trying To Glorify Or Downplay Slavery In The Least... They Were Actually Trying To Bring Light Onto Slavery In A Way That Had Never Been Done Before....

The Interviews, The Commentary, And All Of That Was Stuff Actually Written/Said By Those Who Perpetuated The Crime Of Slavery... As For The Smiles On The Face Of The Afrikans, Hell, We GOIN THROUGH PSUEDO-SLAVERY RIGHT NOW AND NIGGAS FIND SHIT TO LAUGH AT ALL THE TIME... Slaves Didn't Spend Every Waking Minute Of Everyday Pissed Off And Unhappy... YOU DONT NOW... Most Slaves Didn't Even Really Understand The Conception Of Slavery... They Probably Believed That God Ordered Things The Way They Were And That Any Man Could Increase His Lot In Life By Pulling Himself Up By The Bootstraps, SMH, When Half Of Em Aint Even Have Boots {But I Digress}....

Rexdale is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

So is you. (Uncle Tom)

edit - Why are we watching this, we are acting like there is an alternative to mutual self-assured destruction. You niggas siccen me (not all, the ones that's pointed to will feel this) I don't like that word; but, when you agreeing to have peace with ur enemy. U bringing it upon yourself.

Str8 up, fucc learnin about the past. There is 1 reason, and 1 reason only why we "failed". We let them live

edit - I'm done postin on this shit, I'm bringin too much heat; I'ma get arrested.

If you in the Toronto, GTA Area. Pm Me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information