Forgot your password?

Thread: Affluenza

JrFem is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0

Affluenza

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Af-flu-en-za n. 1. The bloated, sluggish and unfulfilled feeling that results from efforts to keep up with the Joneses. 2. An epidemic of stress, overwork, waste and indebtedness caused by dogged pursuit of the American Dream. 3. An unsustainable addiction to economic growth. 4. A television program that could change your life.

Affluenza is a one-hour television special that explores the high social and environmental costs of materialism and overconsumption. Here you can learn more about the show, get an Affluenza diagnosis and check out resources for treatment. Don't miss our Teacher's Guide, available only on this Web site.

Escape from Affluenza is the solution-oriented sequel to Affluenza. Hosted by Wanda Urbanska, co-author of Simple Living, Escape picks up where Affluenza left off by profiling people and organizations that are reducing consumption and waste, choosing work that reflects their values and working to live in better balance with the environment.

Affluenza is a production of KCTS/Seattle and Oregon Public Broadcasting and was made possible by a grant from The Pew Charitable Trusts.
      -jennia
      "forward ever"

JrFem is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

-jennia
      "forward ever"

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down

You must have watched it yesterday too

JrFem is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Linktv

I'm kinda in love with LinkTV, I want to make AfricaTV, I hate TV1, I hate BET, I just need an alternative...and LinkTV is the closest I can get, then I watch BBC news, which is less entertainment based, and more like a news show.
      -jennia
      "forward ever"

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by JrFem
      I'm kinda in love with LinkTV, I want to make AfricaTV, I hate TV1, I hate BET, I just need an alternative...and LinkTV is the closest I can get, then I watch BBC news, which is less entertainment based, and more like a news show.
      You love LinkTV too, Huh??? I saw "Affluenza" a couple of months ago. I posted something in here (way back) on "the opposite of consumerism" (voluntary simplicity). It was inspired by Affluenza. And I'm going to purchase that DVD when I get my next financial aid check.

Pragmatic is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 30/0
      Given: 12/0

"Affluenza," Part 1

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKt8xaMP2A0[/nomedia]

Peace be upon you

Pragmatic is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 30/0
      Given: 12/0

Black Spending Habits

Black Spending Habits

These are tough economic times, especially for African-Americans, for whom the unemployment rate is more than 10%. Alarmingly, rather than belt-tightening, the response has been to spend more. In many poor neighborhoods, one is likely to notice satellite dishes and expensive new cars.

According to Target Market, a company that tracks black consumer spending, blacks spend a significant amount of their income on depreciable products.

In 2002, the year the economy nose-dived; we spent $22.9 billion on clothes, $3.2 billion on electronics and $11.6 billion on furniture to put into homes that, in many cases, were rented.

Among our favorite purchases are cars and liquor. Blacks make up only 12% of the U.S. population, yet account for 30% of the country's Scotch consumption. Detroit, which is 80% black, is the world's No. 1 market for Cognac.

So impressed was Lincoln with the $46.7 billion that blacks spent on cars that the automaker commissioned Sean "P Diddy" Combs, the entertainment and fashion mogul, to design a limited-edition Navigator replete with six plasma screens, three DVD players and a Sony PlayStation

The only area where blacks seem to be cutting back on spending is books; total purchases have gone from a high of $356 million in 2000 to $303 million in 2002. This shortsighted behavior, motivated by a desire for instant gratification and social acceptance, comes at the expense of our future. The National Urban League's "State of Black America 2004" report found that fewer than 50% of black families owned their homes compared with more than 70% of whites.

According to published reports, the Ariel Mutual Funds/Charles Schwab 2003 Black Investor Survey found that when comparing households where blacks and whites had roughly the same household incomes, whites saved nearly 20% more each month for retirement, and 30% of African-Americans earning $100,000 a year had less than $5,000 in retirement savings. While 79% of whites invest in the stock market, only 61% of African-Americans do.

Certainly, higher rates of unemployment, income disparity and credit discrimination are financial impediments to the economic vitality of blacks, but so are our consumer tastes.

And what is even more shameful is the fact that African-Americans spend millions of dollars killing themselves. They spend millions on swine meat and other dead animal flesh, millions on alcohol, and millions on tobacco. Hundreds of thousands of African-Americans die each year from strokes, high blood pressure, heart attacks, cirrhosis of the liver (caused by excessive alcohol consumption), lung cancer (caused by cigarette smoking), arteriosclerosis (hardening of the blood arteries caused by fat in the bloodstream from the consumption of animal flesh and animal by-products), sugar diabetes, kidney and liver diseases, ulcers, stomach and colon cancers, etc. Yet they keep on eatin them pork chops and ham (the pig’s butt!), drinkin that Johnny Walker Dead,and smokinthem cigs...When will they ever learn?

posted by 5602 09-24-2007

Mass Homelessness coming to US!

Homeless And Starving In The Land Of The Free
      Friday, 1 August 2003, 9:47 pm
      Column: Jay Shaft

US Homelessness and Poverty Rates Skyrocket While Billions are Spent Overseas on Occupation

By Jay Shaft
      Coalition For Free Thought In Media 7/31/03

As I watch far away images of body bags being filled, I see much closer images of bodies. I went by a local park the other day and it looked like a concentration camp crossed with a mass murder scene.

There were people in rags and covered with filth lying scattered all over the place. At least twenty people were on crutches, had parts bandaged, or with open wounds not even covered. They were all hungry and a large majority were sick.

All around this city I live in, and nation-wide, the level of homelessness and poverty is growing alarmingly. From the last counts and estimates nation-wide, there has been at least a 35-45% increase in homelessness and poverty. The increases have come over the last two years with the biggest increases being in 2002 and especially in the first six months of 2003.

Add to that the barely subsisting or borderline homeless/poor, and we start to see a very alarming trend that shows no sign of going away. Over 30% of Americans are on the borderline of poverty. A lot just do not quite make the cut to receive food stamps or some kind of benefits and live on a razor edge of desperation and starvation.

I have talked to people that run food banks, soup kitchens, and homeless shelters. Places like Day Star, Catholic Charities, St, Vincent De Paul, and many other major support agencies. They all tell me they have seen a vast increase in people that would starve or be without clothes if not for their services.

The most shocking sight to see is homeless and starving children, living right near some of the richest neighborhoods!!!!! Right here in "humanitarian" America, home of the worlds largest "humanitarian" and "liberating" force (or is it FARCE?).

This country is putting more and more of our citizens on the brink of homelessness and desperate poverty. In addition, it seems that we have pushed countless others over the brink and into the bottomless pit of despair and need. All you have to do is look around, open your eyes, and you will see the vast sea of hungry and destitute.

I have seen more and more children and families out on the street or in feeding centers and at food handouts. To think that the world’s richest country allows this to happen is sickening! To think that we turn a blind eye to starving children because it is easier to tolerate than do something about it!

We cannot afford to hire teachers, build new schools, or even maintain the ones we have. Our children slip farther into the void of illiteracy and neglect. We are the lowest among the industrialized "first" world nations in literacy scores! Many "third" world countries now have higher literacy rates than the U.S.

We are setting ourselves up to turn the world’s richest country into a third world quagmire. This country is sinking into a swamp of drowning poor and so-called "Economically Challenged!” The rich meanwhile buy bigger S.U.Vs (self indulgent ubiquitous vulture mobiles), and bigger gated houses to keep out the flotsam and detritus of the cast aways.

Peace be upon you

re/p XXPANTHAXX
      Black Spending Habits

Mass Homelessness has arrived!
      Mass Homelessness has arrived!

Thread Information