Forgot your password?

Cherubim is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Weak Concious Rappers

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Can I be real?

Kanye West, Common, Nas....what's up with these bruthaz.

I don't hate them but they are just weak in my opinon.
      But not only are they weak, but they're schizoprenic in thier message.

They talk about Black empowerment and uplifting sistaz on one track, then turn right around and brag about nigggaz dealing dope, snatching gold chains, and calling our women biitches and hoez on the next track.
      Especially Nas.

How did they get to be the standard-bearers for concious hiphop?

I know we can produce better more talented CONCIOUS artists than what they're pushing at us on the radio and in these magazines.
      Must we settle for these.

Now I give Kanye some credit for breaking from script to call George Bush a racist, but damn did yall see the way he shaking and stuttering when he said that?

Again, I'm not trying to hate on these bruthaz because they do have SOME talent but I know we can do much better.

Public Enemy, KRS One, Paris, Kam...these were CONCIOUS RAPPERS.

And I can't forget sistaz like Queen Latifa and Lauryn Hill with ridiculous talent.

Even Professor Griff.

I still bump Public Enemy and Kam in the ride, I don't even listen to the radio anymore.

Not only did they have on point messages that didn't contradict themselves, but they actually had talent and flow.
      You could bump it anywhere and bruthaz would bob their heads to the beat.

I'm sorry but we aren't gonna attract a mass audience to Black conciousness using weak mixed-message rappers like these.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quite Right

Brither, you are right on the money. It's a shame that we have to have commentary about entertainment, however when what is offered as entertainment IS NOT, then we have to respond. Again, I vote with my pocket. I don't buy or know the lyrics to 9 out of 10 songs that those you mentioned produce. Lauryn put it best: "Come on baby light my fire, everything you produce is so tired, music is supposed to inspire."

Turn a deaf ear. A sadder truth is that the largest consumers of this garbage is non-black. Seems like every day I have to add to my list of the self-defeating behavior that's keeping us in psychological bondage. So then they'll defend their lyrics as "free speech" and try to pass it off as commentary and truth, appealing to the lowest common denominator as they cry racism while they consisteltly arm the enemy, DUH. So I respond with "free MARKET" and booo their trash, I don't even download it on P2P sites cause it's not even worth listening to for free.

On top of that, they wanna' pass themselves off as standard bearers for keeping it real. My mama is a woman, first and as Goddess IsIs Akkebalan put it "A nation can only rise as high as its women." As far as speaking truth to power, won't happen because it will destroy their patronage among the curious and guilty whites and other groups who "wanna be down."

I won't even call them sell-outs, 'cause you first have to have something to sell, and many of them are mentally and spiritually bankrupt from the door.

You 'don ran my pressure up!

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Cherubim
      Can I be real?

Kanye West, Common, Nas....what's up with these bruthaz.

I don't hate them but they are just weak in my opinon.
      But not only are they weak, but they're schizoprenic in thier message.

They talk about Black empowerment and uplifting sistaz on one track, then turn right around and brag about nigggaz dealing dope, snatching gold chains, and calling our women biitches and hoez on the next track.
      Especially Nas.
      Hmmm...I can see what you are saying in some respects, but I don't think that it makes them "weak conscious rappers". I say that because with artists like Common, he's not bragging about Brothers dealing dope, snatching gold chains, etc.; he's reflecting a part of the place that he was raised in. He didn't do it himself, but he knows of others that have done it, and he's going to reflect that in his lyrics. I've listened to his music for a good while, and he's not saying that HE did those things, but that he is AWARE of others who do those things, and the reasons why they do it.

Isn't that a part of being "conscious"? Being aware of what is going on in your neighborhoods? I think that Common and the others reflect that.

As for the b's and h's thing, I'm not making any excuses for them, but I will say is that they are not perfect people, and I'm sure that they are trying to work their way through it ("it" being not calling women those names anymore). I mean, couldn't you say the same for most of the "conscious" rappers you listed, and their use of the "n" word? Would that be grounds to say that they weren't as "conscious" as the next "conscious" rapper? Would that reason alone be grounds to call them "schizophrenic"? Personally, I don't think so. Like I said, they are working through it like everyone else.

This is a good discussion to have. I appreciate your input.

and :cheers:
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

DJ RBG is offline S1W-Insurgent

Thumbs Up/Down

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by disciple21781
      well check me out on www.myspace.com this is my direct spot http://www.myspace.com/krookidsmile
      Yo I listened to all your cuts and to be brutally honest, they are wack!!! "gets his sandman machete out....
      " Fried, Baked, Grilled, Boiled Or Smoked, The Only Good Pig, Is A Dead Pig...Fuck The Holice!!!"

G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A. is offline Universal Wisdom Seeker

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 6/0

Get the Dead Prez album the Black Market Militia album and the two new Public Enemy albums. Fuck Nas, and Kanye Pest. Common is too laid back to be conscious.

IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/0

Conscious rap doesnt have to be militant. That is just one form of consciousness. Conscious means a state of mind. Its someone that raps about politics, social issues, struggles etc.

Common has never dissed the sisters so far as I can tell. And my wife is a serious Common fan and I know she would throw it all the garbage if she thought he was saying anything remotely disrespecful. She chooses her music completely by lyrics, not beats. Now I think Common's production is weak. Thats my opinion. But his head is right.

Nas shows a natural progression of most black men. Especially black men that have a taste of the street. To diss him is to diss Malcolm X because you know he used to be a pimp. Nas is trying to stay in touch with the streets. But you can be sure that his mind is right as well.

The problem is that we dont have enough conscious rappes.

We used to have P.E., Paris, Kam, King Sun, Def Jeff (btw THIS is the brother that popularized saying "peace" in rap records, you might remember him from his stint on Patti Labelle's sitcom that used to be on BET back in the day), Poor RIghteous Teachers, Professor Griff, X-Clan, Isis, KRS-1, Dougie Fresh, Just Ice, Big Daddy Kane, Eric B and Rakim, Dela Soul, Queen Latifah, Heavy D, Jungle Brothers, Monie, etc etc. And we had ALL of them rappers at ONCE. ....at ONCE!!!!! (and thats just the ones i can remember!

can u believe that? Heck, thats more conscious rappers selling records at once then all the negative rappers today! These days they concentrate sales in 4-5 hands a year, with everyone else hustling for peanuts. Back then, they released 20 acts a year.
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by IfasehunReincarnated
      Conscious rap doesnt have to be militant. That is just one form of consciousness. Conscious means a state of mind. Its someone that raps about politics, social issues, struggles etc.
      EXACTLY. We need to stop putting the "conscious" rappers into boxes. That is how whitey gets over on the "unconscious" rappers, by fitting them into images that will make the most profits for whitey.

Thank you, Brother IfasehunReincarnated for your input.

and :cheers:
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Thread Information