Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/0
      Given: 0/0

Talking Remember When... Conscious Rappers before 2000

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Name all the positive rappers that came out BEFORE 2000.

Public Enemey
      Paris
      Kam
      King Sun
      Def Jeff (btw THIS is the brother that popularized saying "peace" in rap records, you might remember him from his stint on Patti Labelle's sitcom that used to be on BET back in the day. I aint saying he invented it. But there was a period between 84-90 where it was VERY popular and its still in the mix today. thank this one.)
      Poor RIghteous Teachers
      Professor Griff
      X-Clan
      Isis
      KRS-1
      Dougie Fresh
      Just Ice
      Big Daddy Kane
      Eric B and Rakim
      Dela Soul
      Queen Latifah
      Heavy D
      Jungle Brothers
      Monie Luv
      Common
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

Daisho is offline The Ghost Swordsman

B.K.N.Y. The Far East: Onyx Buddha Has Risen
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by IfasehunReincarnated
      Name all the positive rappers that came out BEFORE 2000.

Public Enemey
      Paris
      Kam
      King Sun
      Def Jeff (btw THIS is the brother that popularized saying "peace" in rap records, you might remember him from his stint on Patti Labelle's sitcom that used to be on BET back in the day. I aint saying he invented it. But there was a period between 84-90 where it was VERY popular and its still in the mix today. thank this one.)
      Poor RIghteous Teachers
      Professor Griff
      X-Clan
      Isis
      KRS-1
      Dougie Fresh
      Just Ice
      Big Daddy Kane
      Eric B and Rakim
      Dela Soul
      Queen Latifah
      Heavy D
      Jungle Brothers
      Monie Luv
      Common

Don't forget Lakim Shabazz, KMD, Brand Nubian, Queen Mother Rage, Tragedy, Gangstarr, even Sister Souljah had an album...lol.
      In The Midst Of The Secret Wars...Deliberate, Strategize, Execute, Finalize, Clean Up What You`ve Carved Away, Reexamine The Conclusion & The Motivation, Master It, Record The Lessons & Move On!-Daisho*

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by Daisho
      Don't forget Lakim Shabazz, KMD, Brand Nubian, Queen Mother Rage, Tragedy, Gangstarr, even Sister Souljah had an album...lol.
      Can't forget about The Roots, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Prince Paul, A Tribe Called Quest, Black Sheep, and Outkast.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Kentake is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs up

Alafia fam!,
      BLACK SHEEP y'all!...ANY 1 NO WHEY DEY AT?

SANKOFA!,
      Sistah Kentake.
      Asase Ye Duru=Mama Earth has weight!!

"SISTARS!, Black people will NEVER BE FREE unless Black Womb-men
      participate in EVERY ASPECT of our struggle, on EVERY LEVEL of our struggle."

Honourable OhemaaAssata Shakur

''Black Womb-man and Child....for you i have sooooo much love!!"
      Sizzla Kalonji

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Kentake
      Alafia fam!,
      BLACK SHEEP y'all!...ANY 1 NO WHEY DEY AT?

SANKOFA!,
      Sistah Kentake.
      Greetings, Sister Kentake.

I got your back:

From AllHipHop.com

Black Sheep Returning To Rap Game
      By Kye Stephenson
      Date: 6/27/2005 3:45 pm

Rapper Dres and producer/DJ Mr. Lawnge are returning to the Hip-Hop scene with a new album, 8WM.

According to Dres, re-entering the game is just another chance at furthering the Black Sheep legacy and continuing their success.

In 1991, Black Sheep released their seminal debut "A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing," which reached #30 on the Billboard charts and ended up selling over a million records.

The album spawned two massive singles, “The Choice is Yours” and “Flavor of the Month.”

"Our record plays in a party everyday of the year...a lot of artists can't say that," Dres said of his previous hits. "If we were to get paid for every time our album was played, we would be millionaires."

Guests on the album include Showbiz, Lord Finesse, Kwame, Dinky Bingham, Vitmain D, Bean One and others.

To commemorate their entrance back into the Hip-Hop scene, the duo will appear at the Knitting Factory on July 5th as a part of the Discipline Series.

Joining Black Sheep on stage will be Medina Green, Tom Chase, Dirty Nichols and others.

Tickets for the Discipline Series event are $10 in advance and $12 at the door. Doors open at 10pm.

Black Sheep will also be hitting the road with De La Soul beginning July 18.

To listen to new tracks you can visit www.blacksheeponline.com.

and :cheers:

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Kentake is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ThaAlchemist
      Greetings, Sister Kentake.

I got your back:

From AllHipHop.com

Black Sheep Returning To Rap Game
      By Kye Stephenson
      Date: 6/27/2005 3:45 pm

Rapper Dres and producer/DJ Mr. Lawnge are returning to the Hip-Hop scene with a new album, 8WM.

According to Dres, re-entering the game is just another chance at furthering the Black Sheep legacy and continuing their success.

In 1991, Black Sheep released their seminal debut "A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing," which reached #30 on the Billboard charts and ended up selling over a million records.

The album spawned two massive singles, “The Choice is Yours” and “Flavor of the Month.”

"Our record plays in a party everyday of the year...a lot of artists can't say that," Dres said of his previous hits. "If we were to get paid for every time our album was played, we would be millionaires."

Guests on the album include Showbiz, Lord Finesse, Kwame, Dinky Bingham, Vitmain D, Bean One and others.

To commemorate their entrance back into the Hip-Hop scene, the duo will appear at the Knitting Factory on July 5th as a part of the Discipline Series.

Joining Black Sheep on stage will be Medina Green, Tom Chase, Dirty Nichols and others.

Tickets for the Discipline Series event are $10 in advance and $12 at the door. Doors open at 10pm.

Black Sheep will also be hitting the road with De La Soul beginning July 18.

To listen to new tracks you can visit www.blacksheeponline.com.

Alafia family!,
      Asante sana Alchemist....do u think dat dere album will be available in music stores now? and dey goin on tour 2 huh? i hope dey comin my way-canada!
      well...meda wase 4 having my back and 4 hookin me up wit dis info....i gon be on my way to the stores 2 check dem out!!! da last time i heard bout dem was in 90-91, and dat is back in da day-4 real!!! glad 2 see dere back on da scene cause i been really locked off 4rom hip-hop since dey left-by 96-99 i cut myseff off from da hip-hop scene thang cause i saw da route it was takin. dis might be the incentive to inspire me again to take dis hip-hop thang seriously :cheers: ....I DID SAY MIGHT BE!!! cause as far as i see otha dan some very few artists (on da down low) dis hip-hop thang is a joke!!!

1 of the biggest public embarrassments to the Diasporan Black comm. in the 21st century!!-wanna dis-agree wit me?aight! just turn on ur radio and i'm sure it will not be 2 long b4 u hear some h*% dis or niggah! / b@!*$ dat! better yet why not turn on BET & watch some of dem stupid a.. music videos?.....is dat what bein BLACK is now??? plz tell me it is not!!!!......

SANKOFA,
      Sistah Kentake.
      Asase Ye Duru=Mama Earth has weight!!

"SISTARS!, Black people will NEVER BE FREE unless Black Womb-men
      participate in EVERY ASPECT of our struggle, on EVERY LEVEL of our struggle."

Honourable OhemaaAssata Shakur

''Black Womb-man and Child....for you i have sooooo much love!!"
      Sizzla Kalonji

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Kentake
      Alafia family!,
      Asante sana Alchemist....do u think dat dere album will be available in music stores now? and dey goin on tour 2 huh? i hope dey comin my way-canada!
      well...meda wase 4 having my back and 4 hookin me up wit dis info....i gon be on my way to the stores 2 check dem out!!! da last time i heard bout dem was in 90-91, and dat is back in da day-4 real!!! glad 2 see dere back on da scene cause i been really locked off 4rom hip-hop since dey left-by 96-99 i cut myseff off from da hip-hop scene thang cause i saw da route it was takin. dis might be the incentive to inspire me again to take dis hip-hop thang seriously :cheers: ....I DID SAY MIGHT BE!!! cause as far as i see otha dan some very few artists (on da down low) dis hip-hop thang is a joke!!!

1 of the biggest public embarrassments to the Diasporan Black comm. in the 21st century!!-wanna dis-agree wit me?aight! just turn on ur radio and i'm sure it will not be 2 long b4 u hear some h*% dis or niggah! / b@!*$ dat! better yet why not turn on BET & watch some of dem stupid a.. music videos?.....is dat what bein BLACK is now??? plz tell me it is not!!!!......

SANKOFA,
      Sistah Kentake.
      Greetings, Sister Kentake!

I think that the best thing to do would be to check out the site for future releases. It might be in stores, though.

I disagree with you about the current state of hip-hop right now. Yes, if you turn on mainstream radio stations that play hip-hop (you forgot the independent stations and the college stations are listener sponsored, so they can play what they want), 90 percent of the time you will get some bogus music. On the independent stations and college stations, however, it is the opposite: 90 percent of the time, you'll get music that is good, uplifting, and just all around nice.

As for B.E.T.....I can curse, rant, and rave about how horrible that network has become but instead, I'm just going to say this: they don't represent US, so we shouldn't look to them to reflect the image of what it actually means to be Black in today's society.

I appreciate your passion about this subject; it is definately something that needs to be discussed and re-discussed until we get to the point where we won't have to discuss it anymore.

Thread Information