DJ RBG is offline S1W-Insurgent

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Talking Interview with M-1 of Dead Prez

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Know Your Enemy
      by Chris Witt

Dead Prez are on the front lines of hip-hop’s renewed political consciousness. On the group’s Loud Records debut, Let’s Get Free, members M-1 and stic.man position themselves somewhere "between N.W.A. and Public Enemy." The album is a call to arms for all hip-hop fans to spit out the champagne, trash the shiny clothes, and take to the streets. For these militant rappers, the revolution is now. Pay attention as M-1 drops the science on such topics as police brutality, white people, and the group’s upcoming benefit at the Knitting Factory.

Knotes: Why don’t you tell us a little bit about the benefit you’re doing at the Knitting Factory?

M-1: The basic concept is concerning police brutality. And police containment, which is ultimately a policy--written or unwritten--in the United States, which allows the police to be the number one enemy in our community. Which comes in, brutalizes us, terrorizes us, pushes crack and criminalizes us and then takes us to jail to build a massive prison industrial complex. What we’re trying to do is unite a force to oppose that aggression against our communities.

K: Do you think there should be a violent response to the police?

M-1: Oh no, that’s not what we’re calling for at all. On the contrary. We don’t accept people who are violent with us. That’s why we’re outraged at this point. But we’re not calling for people to take up arms and we’re definitely not calling on people to attack the police in any kind of way except for politically. The response we’re trying to render would ultimately mean justice for the families, for the victims. The criminals, who are the police, are always let go. We demand that there be a true board governed by the people that has prosecutorial powers that really determine what the fate of these killer cops should be.

K: You are affiliated with the People’s Party, is this an organized movement?

M-1: The concept around it is a celebration of self-determination. The People’s Party is exactly what it says. It can be taken both ways. The people getting together to party, and that’s the theme of the benefit we’re putting on. But even more than that, it’s put on by an organization called the Uhuru Movement. We are a national organization with chapters around the country. But we have just sprung up in New York City. We’ve only been here maybe a year. So it’s definitely part of the whole movement of freedom for self-determination for Black and Latino, poor and oppressed people.

K: Right now or in the past, who do you look to as your own political heroes and who do you look to for leadership?

M-1: There’s a sister named Ella Baker and she came out of Mississippi in the ‘60s. At the end of the Civil Rights movement, she was responsible for taking our case of the years and years of murder and mistreatment and injustice to a Democratic National Convention. She came up to New Jersey to put the case on the floor and she was able to speak there. She was the one who said, “I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired.” As well as the leader of the Uhuru movement, who’s found on the front of dead prez’s album Let’s Get Free, his name is Chairman Omali Yeshitela. Also people like Fred Hampton of the Black Panther Party in Chicago, who created one of the biggest branches of the Black Panther Party that ever existed. And Fred was murdered at 21 years of age by the Chicago police and FBI precisely because he built programs that spoke to the needs of the masses of the people--building a free breakfast for children program that fed 500 children a day in Chicago and across the country maybe thousands. He had the Bobby Hutton free medical clinic which did some of the first work against sickle cell anemia.

K: So are you guys involved in any grass roots things like breakfast kitchens or medical clinics?

M-1: Well, what we’re concentrating on is self-determination or survival programs. We can’t do it in the same old way because we’re a community that’s 30 years experienced in that way. And we’ve seen the government hijack those programs. So we have programs like our clothing drive and the Martial Arts class that we see as also a self-determination class. We have mass rallies and political educations every Sunday at 4 o’clock. We hope to have more established programs as we get stronger inside the city.

K: We’ve been seeing a lot more political conciousness in hip-hop lately with groups like the Roots, Common and Black Star. Do you think this is going to be a lasting change or is it going to be like in the ‘80s, where it was passed on?

M-1: I think it passed on because of resistance. I don’t think it passed on just because people got tired of it and people said, “Well I’ve got me a new bag this year.” Just like I don’t believe revolutionaries die. I believe revolutionaries were exiled, jailed and killed and scared out of the country. I’m here to stay. I’m more grounded by the movement than by music.

K: Do you see music as a tool?

M-1: Definitely so. Even more so I see music as a weapon. It’s a very just weapon.

K: You’re signed to Loud, which is owned by Sony, how does it feel to be a part of this huge multinational global corporate machine?

M-1: Ultimately, we are all part and parcel to this global community. No matter where you work, you help the wheels go around. Even unemployment helps the wheels go around. I think it feels great to speak out. That’s the only thing I have left to do. We often use the quote, “We have nothing to lose but our chains.” If I wasn’t working for Loud, I’d be working for Wendy’s or something like that. And I think this gives us a better platform to say what we have to say. We would have the same boss, just my pay is in a different way.

K: On your albums, you talk a lot about tearing society down—schools, police, capitalism—what do you enivision in its place?

M-1: Mostly I envision justice. A just system which will share the resources of the world which come from the earth and belong to no one. I envision those resources being shared equally amongst the masses of the people—including white people—who will only have it after working for it, the same as we all do. I see a system that’s classless. Erasing the ruling class and the middle class that leaves the lower classes--which is 90 percent of the people--with little or none and the ruling class--2 percent of the people--with everything. I envision a place which recognizes this land was stolen from the indigenous people and they have a right to it. Whatever should happen to this land should be the determination of the people who this land was stolen from—and I mean stolen in the most vicious way. Ultimately, social justice, economic development and a standard of freedom in life.

K: That’s about it for questions; is there anything else you want to share?

M-1: I definitely do. I want to say people’s army of the world unite. Soldiers, everywhere you are, rise up, fight fight fight, go all out. Now is our time. I want to say use criticism and self-criticism for us to get where we’re gonna go. Know your enemy. And most of all, let’s get free. And big up to my partner stic.man.

*PS for those of you who dont know...User: RapBrownGangsta is M1 on this forum...
      " Fried, Baked, Grilled, Boiled Or Smoked, The Only Good Pig, Is A Dead Pig...Fuck The Holice!!!"

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Greetings again DJ RBG!

Another interview with a DP member! Excellent! M1 dropping serious knowledge about the police and organizing.

Thanks again! This is great.

and :cheers:
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

DJ RBG is offline S1W-Insurgent

Thumbs Up/Down

Talking

Be sure to check out their BeatMaster "Tahir" his interview is here somewhare
      " Fried, Baked, Grilled, Boiled Or Smoked, The Only Good Pig, Is A Dead Pig...Fuck The Holice!!!"

Thread Information