Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/0
      Given: 0/0

Is Rap too X-Rated for Kids?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Is Rap too X-Rated for Kids?

All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

I think that some rappers are too x-rated for kids.

There are just some things that children don't need to hear at a certain age.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Nesayem is offline Afrika Is In You

Thumbs Up/Down

Rap is to X-rated for a grown person like me, it is really unhealthy for children. For example..

Girl I'm missing you, come and see me soon
      Tie your arm up; put that lighter under that spoon
      Now put that needle to ya arm princess ~50 cent

Picture Lil' Kim suckin on you like some candy
      Picture Lil' Kim in your shirt and no panties
      ~Lil Kim

I could go on and go with examples that support why children should not be subjected to listening to rap music. The day I realized rap music had gone to far was the day my 8 year old cousin started refering to me as "whoadie".I was shocked, amazed, and upset. Rap music promote's the wrong ideas (disrepect of women, gun violence, and drug use/sales in our community's).They are artist such as talib Kweli, Mos Def, Common and numerous others that are postive and upbuilding in the music but they dont get the national attention and airplay as lets say a 50 cent or Jay Z. If all the radios stations have to offer is Jay Z, Lil Kim, and 50 cent, I can do without it. So basically I'm against children listening to rap.

"she want neo-soul, this hip hop is old" ~Black Thought

Draptomania is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Not all rap, but most "mainstream" is. The rap "Whisper song" by ying yang twins was a favorite of my 3 year old nephew. Not only did I spank HIS butt for saying such filthy things, I dug into my sister's azz for exposing him to it. Most of the things said in some rap songs are what craft these children into being future strippers,players and other things that don't promote one to have a higher sense of self importance or respect for others.

~Insert profound statement here~

Shawnfury2003 is offline Soul Rebel

Thumbs Up/Down

Wow

Im extremely selective about my hip-hop/Rap music so I dont know about the mainstream lyrics. Sista Nes. just pointed out a lyric that put me back in my chair in disgust. That 50 cent lyric is straight disgraceful for himself as a black "Man" and toward our black Queens as well. Many of these rappers promote drugs and guns which is nothing new but, just the mention of heroin,a beast which I feel helped in the destruction of the mass black solidarity of the 1970's, just sends a chill down my body. Being from N.Y I've seen many of our black men and women destroyed by this killer. Being too young I didnt know about why they acted like that.why they nodded like that. growing older I learned about heroin and crack and its affect on black society. My sincere love for our race allows me to still see them as Queens torn apart from the aftermath of this beast, I feel that they need to be helped imma do whatever I can....let me get off my pedestal now..... I think that mainstream Rap/Hip-Hop is too Xrated....

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Question: which hip-hop music is considered "mainstream" and which is considered "not mainstream" or "underground"?
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

John P. is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Nesayem
      Rap is to X-rated for a grown person like me, it is really unhealthy for children. For example..

Girl I'm missing you, come and see me soon
      Tie your arm up; put that lighter under that spoon
      Now put that needle to ya arm princess ~50 cent
      but this song was about the baltimore area rising case of Heroin use....he talks about the addiction....not that i'm a supporter of all his music...

i do feel tho that rap music has gone crazy...but the listeners make the music actually..artist only make what sales...so that tell us something..

Truth be told the society we live in is too x-ratred for children to grow up in, what they can't get from music they can get down the street or on t.v.

MOS DEF-
      If we smoked out, Hip-Hop is gonna be smoked out
      If we doin alright, Hip-Hop is gonna be doin alright
      People talk about Hip-Hop like it's some giant livin in the hillside
      comin down to visit the townspeople
      We +are+ Hip-Hop
      I'm like Martin Luther king, people listen to me alot/
      it's non-violent non-violent, till i'm hit wita rock/
      then it's coretta fuck this, gone hand me my glock/ -50cent

Gotta dope dealers bop, wita righteous state of mind/
      Guess i'm half of my pops, enlighten by the qu'ran/- ME

GoodRain is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

There are some horrible rap songs that are directed at kids and drug dealers.
      They say make money anyway you can. We know on this site right from wrong but Blacks and alot of kids on the verge of being in their wrong mind are confused.
      There are videos from rap songs with money changing hands while on the street corner and other places. There are not showing store clerk and customer I mean.
      All the half naked women videos are definately x rated for kids.
      When music isnt the only thing that can drive somebody in their wrong mind it certainly does help alot. Thats why music is in every bit of entertainment there is these days.

Thumbs Up/Down

I recently decided that my son (4 years old) cant listen to ANY black radio. He is also prohibited from listening to ALL rap, without exception and most R&B until he is at least 11 or so.

Why do all our brothers and sisters write about sex, "love", money, cars, guns, threats, haters, cops, projects, and more "love" ??

When is somebody going to write about depression? being a legal entrepreneur? loving marriage? being shy? burning down the white house? kicking all the dope dealers out their hood? running out all the gangs? love based in spirituality? loving God? etc etc.

and i aint taking about Kirk Franklin. I am talking non"demon"ational (lol) music.

right now all of our music written after 1990 is wack for children. i cant even let my son listen to a single Biggie song without him repeating something crazy.

Straight ROOTS reggae and vintage Wonder, Earth Wind & Fire, etc in my house from here on out. I got to protect my son's spirit.

( p.s. if you over 18 check out "Little Brother". its good hip hop, but your kids still can't listen. lol)

G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A. is offline Universal Wisdom Seeker

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 6/0

Get Black Market Militia Ifashehun for your child and go from there.

GoodRain is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

I listened to one of Biggie albums whole and it felt like death to me. Often times an entertainer is awarded for their talent in singing and acting too much.

Thumbs Up/Down

super bump..

Mahmoud Siddiqi is offline Be-Headed

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by IfasehunReincarnated
      I recently decided that my son (4 years old) cant listen to ANY black radio. He is also prohibited from listening to ALL rap, without exception and most R&B until he is at least 11 or so.

Why do all our brothers and sisters write about sex, "love", money, cars, guns, threats, haters, cops, projects, and more "love" ??

When is somebody going to write about depression? being a legal entrepreneur? loving marriage? being shy? burning down the white house? kicking all the dope dealers out their hood? running out all the gangs? love based in spirituality? loving God? etc etc.

and i aint taking about Kirk Franklin. I am talking non"demon"ational (lol) music.

right now all of our music written after 1990 is wack for children. i cant even let my son listen to a single Biggie song without him repeating something crazy.

Straight ROOTS reggae and vintage Wonder, Earth Wind & Fire, etc in my house from here on out. I got to protect my son's spirit.

( p.s. if you over 18 check out "Little Brother". its good hip hop, but your kids still can't listen. lol)

MUCH respect to you for taking these actions with your children Ifasehun!!

Thumbs Up/Down

Yeah

I'm glad someone asked this question. That is exactly why I started doing music with my son. Unlike most parents I do allow my children to listen to immortal technique, dead prez and tahir. They grew up on it and we have discussed the content and the usage of profanity. I have never to this day had an incident where they have slipped up and said something improper, but I knew a lot of parents wanted their children to hear the same content without the cursing. So one day while at a local skating rink with my children they were playing Gospel, which I'm not a fan of either, the music switched and they started playing ying-yang twins and whole bunch of other craziness. All the sudden it went from children 3-18 skating to an amatuer night at the strip club. I was appalled and that is when I decided there has to be an alternative given to parents who don't want their children to hear that type of nonsense. Every sense that day I have used my son's talents to serve as an alternative to all the madness that our youth hear. We have to come up with solutions to these problems especially when it comes to our young. Let's protect them at any cost. UHURU

Thumbs Up/Down

Not only is mainstream RAP too X rated for kids but mainstream R&B is also to X-Rated for kids. I think one thing people forget is that the radio is not censored. If you turn on the radio right now you'll probably here the song "Ms New Booty" by Bubba Sparks which is derogatory to women.

I remember at this old children center I was visiting the center had the radio onto a mainstream hip hop and R&B station and the song "Magic stick" by 50 and little Kim came on and a good number of these kids who couldn't be much older than 9-10 yrs old were reciting the lyrics word for word, and those who did not know the lyrics well knew the chorus very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information