Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0
      Given: 0/0

Afrikan Music

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      ROKIA TRAORÉ
      http://www.rokiatraore.net/

Rokia Traore is a young singer/songwriter and very popular artist from Mali, one of the most musically productive countries of Afrika. Rokia is from the Bamanan ethnic group. She recieved the influence of the succesful Bamanan singers from the 70's, like Hawa Dramé, Fanta Damba y Ami Koita. The use of the pentatonic scale characterize the Bamanan music, typical from the west of Mali.
      Being the daughter of a diplomatic, she had to travel a lot durin her childhood (France, Belgium, Algeria, Saudi Arabia..) which allowed her to get in touch with different type of musical cultures and expanded her world view.

Against the desire of her parents, she started singin and performin in public and In 1997 she won the Radio France International African Discoveries award, met the guitarrist Ali Farka Toure, who she describes as her proffesional guide, and recorded her first album Mouneissa(1998). Later will come Wanita(2000) which contains a song in French, and finally Bowmboi (2003) which is even more pensive and austere.

Her songs and unique afrikan voice inspire meditation. When the rhythm speeds it really makes u stand up and dance as if u just got into trance. almost always accompanied by chorus and traditional instruments as the balafon (xylophone), the kora (harp), cabalash percussion and n'goni, an ancient bamanan instrument, a type of little lute with 3-5 strings.

She set herself apart of Griot and Wassoulou women (traditional singers in Mali), her voice and style is soft but intense and versatil (as she describes "the most important thing for me is choosin the right modulation, regardin to the tune's intensity, and, at the same time, perseverate its delicacy, thats what gives "color" to my singin" and her lyrics, talk about traditions, rescpect and love, but also about women indenpendency and about a positive future for her society and generation.

"And even though, to many Western ears, her music might sound quite Malian, she's introduced some radical shifts. She not only fronts a band, but also plays guitar onstage. Her musicians play traditional instruments, but in unusual combinations. She was the first to utilizie the xylophone-like balafaon and ngoni (a type of lute) together. "I feel more inspired by acoustic and traditional instruments. I know their colors, and I feel comfortable with them. Putting them together to create a unique orchestration serves my moods."

Unlike many other singers, she's eschewed electric instruments, because. "I want to show that with traditional and acoustic instruments you could do something different." " (Sonicnet.com)

Elisa Marvena Nyarai

SANKOFA Asociación Cultural
      www.myspace.com/sankofacultura
      http://sankofacultura.blogspot.com

SoularFlarez is offline Her-Em-Akhet

Afrika iz my Block but tha whole Earth iz my Hood
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

http://www.rokiatraore.net/albums.html

^
      yeh checken out sum of her work now....

G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A. is offline Universal Wisdom Seeker

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 6/0

She is a wonderful singer. She is very talented and unique. Thanks sister for sharing this with us. Uhuru sister Elisa.

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Greetings, Sister Elisa. Thank you for posting this great information. I will definately be checking her out.

I hope to see some more artists from you in this thread.

Peace and Much love.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Kentake is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Lightbulb

Hotep fam!,
      Asante sana....this Sistar is really a BEAUTY!! another Sistar as well who is making headlines in the Motherland is Oumou Sangare (who i believe is also from Mali) i do not know the title of any of her albums etc. but you can def. find out more about her just thru her name alone.and also 2 of my favourite artists from Senegal are Zale Seck and Youssou N'Dour! no! i do not understand the language they sing in!, but I DO FEEL THE ENERGY AND VIBRATION THAT COMES THRU SO POWERFULLY IN THEIR MUSIC!! so check them out y'all!:blackicon

SANKOFA!,

Sistah Kentake.
      Asase Ye Duru=Mama Earth has weight!!

"SISTARS!, Black people will NEVER BE FREE unless Black Womb-men
      participate in EVERY ASPECT of our struggle, on EVERY LEVEL of our struggle."

Honourable OhemaaAssata Shakur

''Black Womb-man and Child....for you i have sooooo much love!!"
      Sizzla Kalonji

Elisa Keisha is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Kentake
      Hotep fam!,
      Asante sana....this Sistar is really a BEAUTY!! another Sistar as well who is making headlines in the Motherland is Oumou Sangare (who i believe is also from Mali) i do not know the title of any of her albums etc. but you can def. find out more about her just thru her name alone.and also 2 of my favourite artists from Senegal are Zale Seck and Youssou N'Dour! no! i do not understand the language they sing in!, but I DO FEEL THE ENERGY AND VIBRATION THAT COMES THRU SO POWERFULLY IN THEIR MUSIC!! so check them out y'all!:blackicon

SANKOFA!,

Sistah Kentake.

yeah sis, Oumou Sangare was goin to be my next review! yes she is from Mali, i bought one album from her for my mama...well, but i'll save the rest for later...To make things clear now... These are the artists Im currently listening to: Miriam Makeba, Yvonne Chaka, Rokia Traore, Oumou sangare, Salif Keita, Yousou N'dour, Baaba Maal, Paapa Wemba, Ismael Lo, Koffi Olomide, etc... (enuf for now)
      I will have to check Zale Seck! thank u. and asante everybody for the feedback.

Elisa Marvena Nyarai

Kentake is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Lightbulb

Hotep fam!,
      Do not 4get 2 check out Oliver Mtukudzi (i hope the spelling is right!) 4rom Zimbabwe....EXCELLENT ARTIST AND PERFORMER! i saw him at the Afree-kan music festival 2 yrs. ago and i have been hooked to the bro. ever since!! check him out fam.-i know u will love him!

SANKOFA!,
      Sistah Kentake.
      Asase Ye Duru=Mama Earth has weight!!

"SISTARS!, Black people will NEVER BE FREE unless Black Womb-men
      participate in EVERY ASPECT of our struggle, on EVERY LEVEL of our struggle."

Honourable OhemaaAssata Shakur

''Black Womb-man and Child....for you i have sooooo much love!!"
      Sizzla Kalonji

Elisa Keisha is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

back!!

OUMOU SANGARE
      www.oumousangare.co.uk

The Wassoulou region of southern Mali has earned a reputation for bluesy rhythms and melodies, and stunning, female vocalists. With sculpted braids, flowing robes and an angel's voice, Oumou Sangaré, born in 1968, Mali, she leads the Wassoulou invasion now competing with Mali's once-dominant Manding griot (jeli) pop music. "People like rhythms that make them move," says Sangaré. "When you hear Wassoulou music, you get up and dance."

Sangaré's mother and grandmother sang, and they encouraged her to do so from the age of five. In 1986, the 18-year-old Sangaré toured in the French Caribbean and Europe with a 27-piece folkloric troupe. At 21, she ignited the Wassoulou explosion with her smash debut cassette Moussoulou ("Women"), which quickly sold 200,000 legal copies, and many more in the pirate cassette trade. In 1995 she toured around the world on the Africa Fete tour along with Baaba Maal, Boukman Eksperyans, and Femi Kuti.

Youth lies at the core of Wassoulou music. Its central instrument, the kamele ngoni ("young person's harp") has six strings, a long neck and a calabash resonator. Its larger cousin, the buzzing, boomy doso ngoni ("hunter's harp") accompanies the sacred songs hunters use to communicate with their guiding spirits. A rebel for women's causes, Sangaré challenges long-standing practices of arranged marriages and polygamy. Musically, though, she sticks to her roots, rejecting electronic instruments and limiting her sound to kamele ngoni, djembe drum, violin, flute, guitar, bass, the scraped, metallic karagnan and her own heart-tugging voice.

Elisa Marvena Nyarai

Thread Information