Thread: Djembe music

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Djembe music

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      If anyone knows any artists that play the djembe, please post information in this thread. I'm learning how to play the djembe myself, and I believe that they could be of help to me.

Thanks!

Peace and love.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A. is offline Universal Wisdom Seeker

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 6/0

http://www.mamadykeita.com/

Try this link out and see if you like Mamady. Uhuru warrior!

Tehuti-4 is offline Atef Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/1

Master of the "TONE"

The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed.

PapaTallTree is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I love Mamady, but Famoudou is my toppa di top djembe Fola. His use of the tone is so warm and hits the soul. What state are located, I might know of a teacher in your area?

Kentake is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Lightbulb

Hotep family!,
      He will be in Toronto in June maybe i try 2 make it there for the event, i am planning on going out there this summer anyway!! the website shows a whole bunch of yurugus drumming so if that is the way it is going to be in T.O. then i do not think i will be there....

UHURU!,
      Sistah Kentake.
      Asase Ye Duru=Mama Earth has weight!!

"SISTARS!, Black people will NEVER BE FREE unless Black Womb-men
      participate in EVERY ASPECT of our struggle, on EVERY LEVEL of our struggle."

Honourable OhemaaAssata Shakur

''Black Womb-man and Child....for you i have sooooo much love!!"
      Sizzla Kalonji

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by PapaTallTree
      I love Mamady, but Famoudou is my toppa di top djembe Fola. His use of the tone is so warm and hits the soul. What state are located, I might know of a teacher in your area?
      Thank you for the info everyone. Much respect.

I live in Houston, Texas. If you have any info, PM me about it.

Thanks!

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Tehuti-4 is offline Atef Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/1

Quote Originally Posted by Kentake
      Hotep family!,
      He will be in Toronto in June maybe i try 2 make it there for the event, i am planning on going out there this summer anyway!! the website shows a whole bunch of yurugus drumming so if that is the way it is going to be in T.O. then i do not think i will be there....

UHURU!,
      Sistah Kentake.
      Hetep Empress,

How is your person?? and that strong Prince??

The sad thing Kentake is that few of us want this culture. Japanese, Israeli's corporate boards everybody else is searching, following and willing to pay to sit at these Africans feet. So, if you go to a workshop - expect to see EVERYBODY else there and few if any of us.

Is $$$ driving these master drummers? I don't know and perhaps it isn't for me to say anyway. But I know more of us need to step up get this knowledge and be prepared to pass it on to OUR people - even if only to our Sunz and Daughters.

ONE!!!
      The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed.

BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I want to learn to play the djembe drum,too. I love the power and beauty of the music that emanates from such a beautiful instrument;to me,it sounds as powerful as a Warrior's heartbeat.
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empire—so strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

Baba Ahmed is offline Honorable Ancestor

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

Quote Originally Posted by Raha
      Thank you for the info everyone. Much respect.

I live in Houston, Texas. If you have any info, PM me about it.

Thanks!
      Im onamove; goto www.afrikandjeli.com brutha Aiyotoro has videos and I think DVD's about djembe and accompanments.
      Free Dome Zone

http://www.oneblackearth.com
      http://oneblackearth.tripod.com
      ==========================

PayPal ready.

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Baba Ahmed
      Im onamove; goto www.afrikandjeli.com brutha Aiyotoro has videos and I think DVD's about djembe and accompanments.
      When I went to the website, it asked me for a username and password.

Is that normal?

P.E.A.C.E.

Thumbs Up/Down

No. Let me look into it. Maybe I gave wrong url. I tried it too; same result. Never happened b4 and can't imagine why there'd be a password for entry. BruhMan is online to sell his wares, mainly and to publicize Afrikan Cultural happenings.

Be patient; I have to take grandsons for drum lessons Tue. At Afrikan Djeli. U'll get correct info. Meanwhile, Im kinda bizzy, try Afrika Djeli and Afrikan Djeli Culture Center. Im try one more time via google.
      Free Dome Zone

PayPal ready.

Thumbs Up/Down

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Kentake
      Hotep family!,

UHURU!,
      Sistah Kentake.
      My sistah if u read THE HEALING DRUM: African Wisdom Teachings by Yaya Diallo and Mitchell Hall, its fairly comprehensive as its title suggests, it'll help u decide the path of drumming u seek. Allow me to cite a coupla excerpts from the book; btw Toronto is one of the cities he writes about. Yaya is from Mali.

"Now when I bring white people from Canada to the village, they are eager to meet my mother. They treat her with a respect she deserves, but which my sophisticated, urban compatriots deny her in their supposed imitation of these white people. A further irony is that when these white visitors have shown interest in and respect for our food, culture, and village ways, my African intellectual friends have felt obliged to appreciate them also.

WHEREAS THE WHITE PEOPLE TRAUMATIZED US AND SET US AGAINST OURSELVES THROUGH COLONIZATION, THEIR RECOGNITION OF THE VALUE OF OUR CULTURE MAY HELP BRING US BACK TO A SENSE OF OURSELVES. ....

"If the reader were to go to Africa today to find a musician who specializes in healing through music, such as Nangape, a long search might prove futile. While dancing and music making are practiced as uplifting activites---preventive therapy---the healing art is disappearing. New generations of Africans see the elder musicians as old-fashioned, and their arts are denigrated as charlatanism or sorcery. Belief in spirits and the invisible world are more and more seen as ancestral superstitions.

Students of Western medicine accept the long years of studying necessary to prepare them for their professional careers. Similarly, the Minianka musician-healers need lengthy training in musical technique, ritual, psychological understanding, and herbalism. Few young musicians show the patience for the long apprenticeship. Traditionally, each case must be approached individually. This does not correspond to the tendency in modern living to categorize and look for ready made solutions. In playing music for a disturbed individual, the musician enters into a nonverbal communication with the unstated sources of the patient's problems. For the musical intervention to be effective, it must be an appropriate, spontaneous answer to the unpredicatable responses of the patient."

Baba note: let me cut to the chase, so to speak. Obviously, Im bias. Im big on yunguns get'n their knowledges of Afrikan cultures from as close to the sources as possible. Unblocked by euro presences or, if possible, influences. So check this in; Yaya continues:

"Today values have changed. There are no longer models such as those I had. The elders who stood for knowledge have been replaced by stars from outside our culture. The youngsters dream of singing in a full auditorium, illuminated by bright lights, with lots of girls seeking autographs. Their ambition is to make a record that will sell widely. If they succeed, if they make millions, it is unlikely they will spend their time learning from an elder about how to care for people, about sacrificing themselves to play for fools who talk incomprehensibly. It is unlikely they will want to descend from the stage to play in a ceremony with its reputed spirits. The buildings and commercial products the West brought to Africa have not done as much harm as the lack of models."

In it Yaya speaks about the djembe and the balafon, both of which he plays. Anyway my main point is once u decide what your purpose is for wanting to attend an Afrikan djembe session, having a little knowledge about this West Afrikan drum and its place in traditional societies will help u decide whether u want to assemble with folks u mentioned or not. Besides, also once I get the right url, u too can order the DVD.

Afrikan drumming generally is for far more than celebratory dancing. I remember one rhythm he spoke of played only for farmers as they work. My grandsons already have learned about 10 different rhythms and their proper usage. I too am looking for a traditional teacher for them. Meanwhile they'll learn what's available. And I refuse to spend money for showcase performers. One just left Atlanta, called Umoja from South Afrika. I had a $32.00 ticket gifted and refused to attend. Even these old bones/muscles and sensibilities still dig Afrikan and or "Jazz" drumming... but what I was exposed to and what I want for the yunguns is different. We need healers too in our struggles!
      Free Dome Zone

PayPal ready.

Thumbs Up/Down

@Raha, Kentake & G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A.

For Afikan Djeli: