Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 15/0
      Given: 1/0

Leela James

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Her official Web Site:

http://www.leelajames.com/

REVIEW:

Don't let Leela James' size fool you. The diminutive woman with the high-pitched speaking voice is a dynamic, deep-voiced, old fashioned Soul singer. A former track star and business student at Cal State University, James set her sights on a professional singing career in the late 90s. She was signed by RuffNation Records but her contract was absorbed by the giant Warner label upon RuffNation's demise. Unfortunately, her project fell between the cracks at RuffNation and Warner for nearly four years.

Her personal trials as an artist in limbo led to the overall theme of the debut album she put together for Warner. Called A Change Is Gonna Come, the album was designed to capture the varied influences in James' musical life, ranging from Gospel to the Blues to classic Soul, and the lyrical theme of facing and overcoming obstacles -- a subject she came to know well during the long period working to get the project released. The album's executive producer, Commissioner Gordon (who also worked on Lauryn Hill's landmark Miseducation of Lauryn Hill disc), helped bring together an All-Star list of producers to work on the CD -- surprising for a new artist's release -- including Kanye West, Raphael Saadiq, Wyclef Jean, James Poysner, Chucky Thompson and Mtume.

A Change Is Gonna Come was released in June 2005 to favorable critical response, and with good reason. "When You Love Someone" is a deep, soulful love song that could have come from 60s Memphis, and James' deep, expressive voice wrings everything out of the cut. Equally impressive are the organ-based "Music" and the bluesy "My Joy." James' voice has been compared to Aretha Franklin and Chaka Khan, but I hear a gutsier Angela Bofill. And guts are what are required to take on a cover of Sam Cooke's seminal "A Change Is Gonna Come," a song she put on the album at her mother's request. While the disc has some uneven spots, overall it is a triumph for a new artist with a great voice and surprisingly soulful expressiveness. I can't wait to hear more...

Now the first time I had ever heard her was on Pete Rock's Soul Surivor II. I LOOOOOOVE that track! Boy your spirit can just FEEL that! I just happened to be listening to the radio one day (something I do not really do too often) and I heard the song "Where Did All the Soul Go?" and I was like,"This sounds like the sister from Pete Rock's CD.. This has GOT to be her." And it was! Anyway, this person's review does not surprise me. I am definitely trying to get her album. Has anyone checked it out? Did you like it? If so, why? If not, why not?
      "The greatest mistake of the movement has been to organize a sleeping people around specific goals. You have to wake the people up first, then youíll get action." Brother Malcolm

Moorish Rebel is offline Nkrumah-Tureist

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0

Thumbs up

Her new CD is nice..
      Forward to ONE Unified Liberated Africa

Warrior Princess is offline Administrator

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 15/0
      Given: 1/0

4real

True,Moorish Rebel. I have it now, but I told my dad he had to check her CD out and that joka still got it. lol (But that's my LOVE, so it's okay.) If somebody wanna consider something Rhythm and Blues, this type of music iz IT! Soul singin' Leelah James. I'm really loving it!
      "The greatest mistake of the movement has been to organize a sleeping people around specific goals. You have to wake the people up first, then youíll get action." Brother Malcolm

Nefertiti is offline TOO BLACK TOO STRONG!!!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0
      Given: 5/0

Im gone check it out! I been wondering how the cd was, I heard a couple of her songs that were nice

Joey is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

I have that album and it is excellent and at times raw, just the way I like it. She got a special voice and some really interesting rythmic patterns on a couple of the tracks. Wyclef makes a guest appearance on one of the tracks (actually that one is my least favorite song on the album even though I normally love Wyclef's music). I recommend it.

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

She does an excellent job on the remake of Sam Cooke's classic, "A Change Gonna Come".
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/0

Incredible edible music.
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

Thread Information