Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow MAry J. Blige gets a Christmas rush order, Complete a new

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Mary J. Blige gets a Christmas rush order Complete a new album by December 20th

Blige gets a Christmas rush order
      By Steve Hochman
      Special to The Times
      [L:A Times]

MARY J. BLIGE was looking forward to a nice holiday season. She planned
      to take a break from work on a new album due next year; do a little
      promotion for "Reminisce," a hits compilation targeted for release in
      early December; and spend quality time with family and friends.

Then she played some of the new songs for Geffen Records executives.
      And they liked what they heard — enough so that they asked her to scrap the hits album and rush completion of the new one for a pre-Christmas
      release. Goodbye "Reminisce." Hello "The Breakthrough," due Dec. 20.

That was just about a month ago, and Blige has been working overtime to
      finish the recordings and get in gear for a full-scale launch and
      promotion effort.

"A lot of work had to be done in a short time, but what can you do?"
      says a sanguine Blige, one of R&B's top stars since her 1992 debut "What's
      the 411?" "If Jimmy Iovine [chairman of parent Interscope Geffen A&M] is
      screaming 'urgent,' then you go with it."

Despite the unexpected workload, Blige is thrilled.

"I didn't really want to do a greatest hits anyway," she says. "And the
      new material I'd been working on [since] last November was incredible
      to me."

The title, she says, is a reflection of her enthusiasm.

"The overall theme is that it is a breakthrough," she says. "Vocally
      I've expanded and lyrically I've come to a place where I understand
      more — a lot of it was going to be personal anyway, because that's
      my music. But people will definitely be able to relate to it."

She cites "Enough Crying," produced by Rodney Jerkins, as one
      highlight.

"I lived out a story like 'Enough Crying,' " she says. "I was with a
      guy for four years and got the ring, but he never married me. And then
      there are songs like 'The Breakthrough,' happy, up-tempo."

Other producers on the album include Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, the
      Black-Eyed Peas' Will.I.Am, Bryan-Michael Cox and the Dre & Vidal team.
      Jay-Z makes a guest appearance, as does Brook — Blige's rapping alter
      ego.

"I did the rap on a couple of songs and people were shocked, saying, 'I
      didn't know you could do that,' " she says. "I'm Mary with my sneakers
      on. Brook is all done up, classy and ghetto and everything at once. And
      she can rap."

A cornerstone to the album, though, is "One," the U2 song she performed
      with the band during the Hurricane Katrina television special in
      September. It's that version, with a chilling duet between her and
      Bono, that is being released.

If the change in plans means a lot of work for Blige, it might mean
      even more for the company, given the demands of a high-profile release added late in the year's most competitive time.

"It's like trying to turn a cruise liner on a dime," says Geffen
      general manager Jeff Harleston. "The challenges are at the media outlets, at
      retail stores, getting in the sales programs, promotional activities,
      space in the new media environment, shooting a video and getting it on
      the channels at a time when traffic is at its peak. But we've been
      fortunate that Mary has a lot of goodwill in the community."
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

BlackIsPower is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 0/0

for this album to have been rushed MARY sure did a hell of a job on it...... i've had it on repeat for 2 months now
      Word is bond,bond is life i give my life before my word shall fail /a soldiers oath/freedom or death/I won't stop if I fail,If I fail I get back up can't be soft /gotta be tough/failure is NOT a option/Real recognize Real/let's get it poppin /with mathematics you can solve any problem /that's how we make it to the Top from the Bottom -Dead Prez

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 18/0

Arrow

Greetings BlackIsPower!
      Mary seems to be on point with her music.!

She is working hard and she deserves it.

Peace!
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

General is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Now all she has to do is leave that Church & White Jesus with that European worshipping negro Creflo Dollar her minister.

Nefertiti is offline TOO BLACK TOO STRONG!!!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0
      Given: 5/0

Quote Originally Posted by General
      Now all she has to do is leave that Church & White Jesus with that European worshipping negro Creflo Dollar her minister.
      Exactly brutha,And she also needs to be more conscious on her appearance leave all that blonde a** hair alone and probaly some other stuff, Im not a fan of hers like I used to be I just dont feel her, like its something fake about her

Warrior Princess is offline Administrator

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 15/0
      Given: 1/0

I love Mary!

Give thanks 4 the article, Sis. @Jahness

Mary said this for whoever don't like what she has done, is doing, or trying to become... She said "You know what you can do!? YOU CAN....
      "hate it or lovvvve it
      hate it or looooove it
      hate it or loooooove it"

Ha

But here is another article "Mad About You"... It was in Essence a while back:

Mad About You
      Today Mary J. Blige is drug- and alcohol-free and married to music producer Kendu Isaacs
      By asha bandele

When they walk into the room, they are arm in arm. When they sit, they curl into each other. They steal glances into each other’s eyes.

For years, Mary J. Blige’s music has been the sound track reflecting the pain in her life, the struggle in ours. But today she’s drug- and alcohol-free. Introduced by Queen Latifah, Mary and music producer Kendu Isaacs married in December 2003. At 32 years old, Mary is finally able to sing the sound track of joy. Here are cuts from the original interview with ESSENCE Features Editor asha bandele, only on ESSENCE.com.

Mary, you’ve talked so much about how men have let you down and hurt you. What was it about Kendu that allowed you to trust him?

Mary: Kendu was consistent. He called when he said he was going to. He showed up on time. And he hung in there with me until I could trust him.

So often we don’t see ourselves in the same light others do. Where do you think the idea that we’re not good enough comes from?

Mary: It comes from what we see and experience as we’re growing up. If you grow up with a lot of anger and violence around you, or if you had a parent who abandoned you, you’ll probably be left with some scars. I know I was, and I know women who are 40 and 50 years old, who still think they don't deserve to be treated well. After my father left, my mother was really hurt. She didn’t understand her own beauty—and I don’t want to put her business out there—but that hurt led her to a lot of things that only hurt her more. Growing up like that made it hard for me to trust Kendu—even though I loved him. But I'm starting to understand the kind of man he is, and I’ve put my trust in God. That's the only way that I'm able to trust Kendu.

Kendu: That's the key. She trusts God. And I'm cool with that. God is very consistent. There's no man in this world who can compare to the consistency of God. If Mary trusts in God, He will direct her. If I'm not the one for her, then God's going to say, "He needs to be gone," and if he removed me from her, she'll still be okay because her trust isn't with me. It’s with Him and He'll show her the way.

Can you talk about the journey you took to getting to this peaceful place, and to a place where you that you deserved to be treated with respect and kindness?

Mary: It was a process that was about learning to identify myself with image God created me in. That's why I believe in myself now, and why I so much want to continue to do the right thing. Just to please God. That's why I believe I deserve better. It would be a real slap in the face to God if I who was created in His image—spent all of my time with a hateful man.

Mary, what do you think is the greatest blessing this love has given you?
      Mary: I never experienced a real loving man before, and I never realized how much attention they need. Through Kendu I realized how selfish I was. I wasn't ready to give another grownup a simple hug. I thought only children were supposed to held and nurtured. My heart wanted to do it, but my flesh had been conditioned to pull away. What he's taught me is that love makes the rules, and if love is making the rules, then you have to really submit to it. Men need loving attention and affection. You have to rub his head, hold him, whatever. He’s your baby right then. Kendu’s showing me how to love. I never knew how to love, and I never knew that it’s okay that love hurts sometimes. Not hurt as in physically or emotionally abused, but Kendu taught me that the very thing that’s going to heal me may not feel good.

Kendu: I remember saying that to you in one of the first conversations we ever had. I had some things to say about the way you were living, and told you it might hurt to hear it. You said, ‘I don’t want to hurt anymore.’ And so I told you it seemed like you had a wound that didn't heal properly, and the scab on top is the problem. You have to pull it off, and that will hurt, but then we can get the medicine that will make the wound heal properly.

Mary, are you happy now?

Mary: I’m happier than I’ve ever been. I still have bad days, but not like the days I used to. My life won’t be perfect until I can let my past stop haunting me. Life still troubles me, but not like it used to.

Do you drink at all?

Mary: Not at all.

Did you go to AA?

Mary: No. I went to Proverbs. Sometimes when I look back, I think: I’m surprised I’m not dead.

Kendu: You’re not dead because God wants you to live. You have a mission, a reason to be here. We all do.

What do you think holds so many Black women back from getting the love they deserve?

Mary: I think many too much pride gets in the way of partnership. Being in a relationship means you have to be humble, take someone else’s needs into consideration. When I’m too proud, when I don’t want to do any sort of give and take, it means I’m not listening to my partner when he may need it the most.

Kendu: And so many Black men don't know who they are, and they don't understand what they're supposed to be doing when it comes to women. Once you take a woman as your bride you’re telling God you’ll take care of her. But if you don't a have real relationship with God, then you’ll never know how to take care of a woman the way He would want you to. . only way you can take care of a woman in a God-like way is to understand what God would do, and try to emulate that to the best of your human abilities.
      Why do you think so many Black men don’t know who they are?

Kendu: Because we were enslaved. And as a group, we’ve never really dealt with what that did to us. We were sold away from our families, stripped of our names, treated worse than animals. We were family men once, providing for our women and children. Over the course of those centuries we were enslaved, we lost our sense of identity.

How does a man like you exist then?

Kendu: Through the word of God. But I had to go through fire to get to where I am now. Not everyone is willing to do that. When you start going through that fire and feel the burn, you want to turn around and run. I ran many times before I got through. And making it all the way through hurt like hell, but eventually I was able to stand the pain—the pain of looking at myself and my own shortcomings—which obviously I had since I didn’t make my first marriage work. But the point is that in the end I found that fire didn’t only hurt. It also cleansed. I know I’m a better man today, a more Christ-like man. Not a perfect man, but also not a man who’s chasing girls or going to strip joints.

What advice then would you want to give to Black women who are struggling—with addiction, with bad relationships, with anger and depression. How do we begin to let go of the hurt and move towards love?

Mary: To move towards love we have to able to look at ourselves instead of gossiping about someone else’s situation. Gossiping won’t help us see what we need to change in ourselves. I prayed for God to show me who I was—and that was hell—because I was prideful, selfish, jealous, mad, angry and hateful. It’s not easy, but women who are struggling need to ask God to show them who they are. Then they will know where their own pain is, and begin to heal.

I say out to the Universe, where nothing goes unheard,
      "Continue to do yo thang, Mary! Your message will NEVER fail to touch those who are SUPPOSED to be touched by it."
      "The greatest mistake of the movement has been to organize a sleeping people around specific goals. You have to wake the people up first, then youll get action." Brother Malcolm

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Yeah ok Warrior Princess,................uh huh ok,................Im talking about a consciousness thing,....................Good for her,..........ok,.............I aint feelin her like I used to,And I aint doing nothin,.............. whatever mary said!!!!!! I applaud her effort But hey its up to her if she wants to continue to pray to her white jesus and looking up to creflo and em and rocking them european styles.............................Whatever....... ....Peace

Thumbs Up/Down

LOL Nefertiti, did you even read the whole of the article? Regardless, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that sometimes we as black women can be fast to down each other and slow to see even 'try' to see the good, the GOD within...

Personally, Mary seems to be much lighter than she used to be. She always had this beautiful light, but (it seemed) that she was just carrying such a load until she could not float as much as she was capable of floating. She now seems to just be soaring and LOVING the fact that she CAN soar and IS soaring. If Mary said that she owed all her joy to Ju Ju, Auset or Oludamare, would you be more happy for her (newfound joy/peace)? If Mary said that she owed all her joy to her lord and savior jesus christ, should you not be happy that she is feeling this joy and peace? (I am really asking questions in general.) Mary says that she is now drug free and has found someone who respects and loves her for who she is and yes, she acknowledges "jesus" in all of this, but personally I'm like regardless, if she would have acknowledged her practice of ATR or her path of Christianity or Bhuddism or Islam etc. I would still be happy that she feels the joy and peace she really feels that she feels.

Ironically enough, many who "could feel" Mary before but can't "feel" her now were cool when she was operating on lower vibrations, when her life and songs were filled with drama on top of drama. They "could feel" her when she was on drugs and struggling between keeping herself around or taking herself out da game (suicidal). She was "real" then to them. Now she has let go of a lot of the negative energy/company/surroundings, is feeling happier/healthier/more at peace within herself than ever (though she acknowledges that she is STILL healing/growing) and now her "ex-supporters" can't "feel" her... now she "fake" to them.

Lastly (and on another note), as for the "conscious sister clique", what is that doing but promoting the same separation that is being knocked? How is that any better than brown bagging or Willie Lynch?
      "The greatest mistake of the movement has been to organize a sleeping people around specific goals. You have to wake the people up first, then youll get action." Brother Malcolm

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior Princess
      LOL Nefertiti, did you even read the whole of the article? Regardless, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that sometimes we as black women can be fast to down each other and slow to see even 'try' to see the good, the GOD within...

Personally, Mary seems to be much lighter than she used to be. She always had this beautiful light, but (it seemed) that she was just carrying such a load until she could not float as much as she was capable of floating. She now seems to just be soaring and LOVING the fact that she CAN soar and IS soaring. If Mary said that she owed all her joy to Ju Ju, Auset or Oludamare, would you be more happy for her (newfound joy/peace)? If Mary said that she owed all her joy to her lord and savior jesus christ, should you not be happy that she is feeling this joy and peace? (I am really asking questions in general.) Mary says that she is now drug free and has found someone who respects and loves her for who she is and yes, she acknowledges "jesus" in all of this, but personally I'm like regardless, if she would have acknowledged her practice of ATR or her path of Christianity or Bhuddism or Islam etc. I would still be happy that she feels the joy and peace she really feels that she feels.

Ironically enough, many who "could feel" Mary before but can't "feel" her now were cool when she was operating on lower vibrations, when her life and songs were filled with drama on top of drama. They "could feel" her when she was on drugs and struggling between keeping herself around or taking herself out da game (suicidal). She was "real" then to them. Now she has let go of a lot of the negative energy/company/surroundings, is feeling happier/healthier/more at peace within herself than ever (though she acknowledges that she is STILL healing/growing) and now her "ex-supporters" can't "feel" her... now she "fake" to them.

Lastly (and on another note), as for the "conscious sister clique", what is that doing but promoting the same separation that is being knocked? How is that any better than brown bagging or Willie Lynch?
      Well good for mary, good, Im glad the sistar is doing well I applaud her efforts her awakening I dont know about other's but I always felt the way Im feeling now !!!! And this conscious sistar clique thing I have no Idea about that, I dont "clique" Im my own woman....Peace

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

[QUOTE=Warrior Princess]Give thanks 4 the article, Sis. @Jahness

Mary said this for whoever don't like what she has done, is doing, or trying to become... She said "You know what you can do!? YOU CAN...
      hate it or loooooove it"

Exactly..... I'm A MJB supporter 4 life when mary not singing about heartache i guess some of us sistars can't "feel" it (lol) I'm happy for mary some of that pain in her voice has gone away and that's always a good thing but she still can sang with the best of em, Listen to "father in you" on the new album and tell me mary not still on top of her game
      Word is bond,bond is life i give my life before my word shall fail /a soldiers oath/freedom or death/I won't stop if I fail,If I fail I get back up can't be soft /gotta be tough/failure is NOT a option/Real recognize Real/let's get it poppin /with mathematics you can solve any problem /that's how we make it to the Top from the Bottom -Dead Prez

Thumbs Up/Down

Is she supporting Serious Black Causes? Is she investing in Business Development Infrastructures. Does she have Black Lawyers, Accountants. Does she buy/manufacture black clothes. U who say U R conscious sista's and somehow justify her little growth. Creflo dollar her Minister is in Essence Magazine with a YT Jesus. She is useless. All Need to Grows that worship YT have not grown. She is still an addict "Crack and Christ", "Crack and Christ".

Thumbs Up/Down

[QUOTE=BlackIsPower]
      Quote Originally Posted by Warrior Princess
      Give thanks 4 the article, Sis. @Jahness

Mary said this for whoever don't like what she has done, is doing, or trying to become... She said "You know what you can do!? YOU CAN...
      hate it or loooooove it"

Exactly..... I'm A MJB supporter 4 life when mary not singing about heartache i guess some of us sistars can't "feel" it (lol) I'm happy for mary some of that pain in her voice has gone away and that's always a good thing but she still can sang with the best of em, Listen to "father in you" on the new album and tell me mary not still on top of her game
      I'm TELLING you! I feel you to the utmost. I mean she sings with no less conviction than she sang with before, just much less of that cloud that you could not help but feel when she sang before. I'm happy for her, too. It seems that that sister has been through so much.. just to be able to still BREATHE is a beautiful thing, but to be able to take what she's been through/going through and use it to help others like,"Look. I've been through it and not only am I still here; I'm much stronger/wiser/happier than I have EVER been in my life!" is just invaluable... it is one of those gifts that just keeps on giving. Grow on, Sis Mary! As her song suggests "You can't hold a good woman down!"

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by General
      Is she supporting Serious Black Causes? Is she investing in Business Development Infrastructures. Does she have Black Lawyers, Accountants. Does she buy/manufacture black clothes. U who say U R conscious sista's and somehow justify her little growth. Creflo dollar her Minister is in Essence Magazine with a YT Jesus. She is useless. All Need to Grows that worship YT have not grown. She is still an addict "Crack and Christ", "Crack and Christ".

To me Mary is a ARTIST and all i expect from her is good music ,which she has delivered time and time again..... I'm a fan of her music and how she's overcome alot of things in her life if she used religion to get there good for her and if she hadn't i would still be happy for her , she's inspired alot of sistars, you can't deny that fact and it wasn't because she spouting religious rhetoric I can listen to music that's not about revolution I love SOUL music from black folk period. btw,everyone grows in their time, not YOURS

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by BlackIsPower
      To me Mary is a ARTIST and all i expect from her is good music ,which she has delivered time and time again..... I'm a fan of her music and how she's overcome alot of things in her life if she used religion to get there good for her and if she hadn't i would still be happy for her , she's inspired alot of sistars, you can't deny that fact and it wasn't because she spouting religious rhetoric I can listen to music that's not about revolution I love SOUL music from black folk period. btw,everyone grows in their time, not YOURS
      There is only one type of Soul Music, that is Liberation Music. U on here talking about Black is Power then talking about "I'm only Mary, I'm only Mary". Next thing we might C U on a video with Blonde Hair all in love W/Mary and then hanging around T.D. Fakes and Creflo Dollar. Mary J. will be a Need to Grow forever and she is stilll a slave as I said Crack and Christ. They both go together. Umm Hmm can't have one without the other. I can't believe U on here defending someone that Worships YT. I bet U have a pic of Mary in your room? How old are U? That music is not no soul music. She is a weed smoking, crackhead, hip hopper. Get out of that filthy Pop Culture. Get into some Cultural music if U must git your groove on girlfriend. "I'm only Mary, I'm only Mary, I'm only Mary". It's time now to grow Comrade! Get in shape. No time to be dysfunctional!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

LOL ....if you are unable to speak to another Black person respectfully about your opinions in your posts maybe you shouldn't offer YOUR opinions, my Blackness is not in question I like her music and it's not up to discussion , I posted that her albums are good SOUL music meaning that they are coming from her SOUL i feel the pain in her voice as well as the happiness she's promoting with some of her songs ,YOUR opinion about what i do and how i live is of no importance to me because YOU know nothing about what i do with my time and you assuming that you do know only makes you look judgemental , I will focus on what we have in common instead of focusing on your personal musical preferences , I would hope you can do the same

btw i have never typed that i like the way she dresses or wears her hair, she's free to do what she feels just like everyone else is, I believe that people can grow and I know that it takes time for that to happen ligethen up brother I have no intention of warring with you about music choices , it's too many other things that need to be focused on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information