Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

John P. is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Ice Cube makes a T.V. show exploring racism

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Cube explores racism with new TV show. "Black. White," a new FX reality TV show produced by Ice Cube and filmmaker R.J. Cutler is set to explore race issues by making black and white couples trade skin color. With the help of Oscar-nominated make up artist Keith VanderLean, the black couple transforms into a white pair and vice versa. In the six-part series, the two couples, a black family (Sparks) from Atlanta and a white family (Wurgels) from Santa Monica also live and interact with each other for two months. The families are sent out into the world with new identities to experience life from the perspective of another race. The show is slated to premiere in March 2006

What a Joke..1...
      I'm like Martin Luther king, people listen to me alot/
      it's non-violent non-violent, till i'm hit wita rock/
      then it's coretta fuck this, gone hand me my glock/ -50cent

Gotta dope dealers bop, wita righteous state of mind/
      Guess i'm half of my pops, enlighten by the qu'ran/- ME

SoularFlarez is offline Her-Em-Akhet

Afrika iz my Block but tha whole Earth iz my Hood
      Thumbs Up/Down

ill bet U its a comedy and gonna be on UPN...

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by John P.
      Cube explores racism with new TV show. "Black. White," a new FX reality TV show produced by Ice Cube and filmmaker R.J. Cutler is set to explore race issues by making black and white couples trade skin color. With the help of Oscar-nominated make up artist Keith VanderLean, the black couple transforms into a white pair and vice versa. In the six-part series, the two couples, a black family (Sparks) from Atlanta and a white family (Wurgels) from Santa Monica also live and interact with each other for two months. The families are sent out into the world with new identities to experience life from the perspective of another race. The show is slated to premiere in March 2006

What a Joke..1...
      Got that right! Dayyam, when r we gonna get it -Racism is NOT our problem, and we need to leave it with the people who have it.

I already know and accept that the world loves, cares and respects not the life and rights of Africans, that is NOT news. So long as we keep focused on THEM, we go nowhere.

IT IS PAST TIME FOR AFRICANS TO CONCERN OURSELVES MORE WITH WHAT WE THINK ABOUT AND WANT FOR ONE ANOTHER. DAMN ANBODY AND ANYTHING ELSE.

AT THE HEART OF RACISM, PERPETRATORS ARE ACTING OUT ON RACE-FIRST IMPULSE.

AFRICANS NEED TO GET INTO THINKING ABOUT 'AFRICA/NS' FIRST. KEEP WHATEVER ELSE MOVING.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by CreatorsCollege
      Got that right! Dayyam, when r we gonna get it -Racism is NOT our problem, and we need to leave it with the people who have it.

I already know and accept that the world loves, cares and respects not the life and rights of Africans, that is NOT news. So long as we keep focused on THEM, we go nowhere.

IT IS PAST TIME FOR AFRICANS TO CONCERN OURSELVES MORE WITH WHAT WE THINK ABOUT AND WANT FOR ONE ANOTHER. DAMN ANBODY AND ANYTHING ELSE.

AT THE HEART OF RACISM, PERPETRATORS ARE ACTING OUT ON RACE-FIRST IMPULSE.

AFRICANS NEED TO GET INTO THINKING ABOUT 'AFRICA/NS' FIRST. KEEP WHATEVER ELSE MOVING.
      exactly...it's seems as if alot of our brothers and sisters are too insecure and wonder so much "why they hate us" and they want to maintain their (whitey's) image of respect. all i need to is they hate us and that good enough for me. i'm focus on building myself and the brothers and sisters in the same struggle so we're not apart of the neo-slavery, working to get more crumbs of the pie they own...1...keep building my brothers and sisters

nattyreb is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

Dag... i guess i'll stand alone as the only one looking forward to it. Most of y'all are too young to remember "Black Like Me" http://www.wingspress.com/Titles/Black_Like_Me.html and there was a similar experiment done by a white woman that i think was much better than that, the name of which totally escapes me right now.

i'm interested in exposing this system and it's racist society worldwide at every turn, and if this adds to that (and ain't just some buffoonery) then i'm all for it!
      "We must continue to move forward and do everything we can to outlaw legal lynching in America. We must continue to stand together in unity and to demand a moratorium on all executions. You must stay strong. You must continue to hold your heads up, and to be there. We will prevail. Keep marching Black people. They are killing me tonight. They are murdering me tonight." -- Excerpts of Last Words of Bro. Shaka Sankofa, an innocent man executed by the state of Texas, 6/22/00. www.myspace.com/nattyreb7

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by nattyreb
      Dag... i guess i'll stand alone as the only one looking forward to it. Most of y'all are too young to remember "Black Like Me" http://www.wingspress.com/Titles/Black_Like_Me.html and there was a similar experiment done by a white woman that i think was much better than that, the name of which totally escapes me right now.

i'm interested in exposing this system and it's racist society worldwide at every turn, and if this adds to that (and ain't just some buffoonery) then i'm all for it!
      I don't quite remember that. My attitude is that we're kept thinking that racism as a concept of human behavior is the problem without ever being empowered to gain justice from the racists.

I also am at the point in my reasoning that I am not responsible for dismantling or eliminating racism. Mine is to recognize it was a willful act of hate.

RACISM IN MY 'MIND' IS A DISEASE, AND IT'S SOMETHING THAT YOU CATCH BY CHOICE AND TO BE INFECTED IS VOLUNTARY AND WILLFUL.

I AM EMPOWERED BY THE ACCEPTANCE THAT RACISM IS A WILLFUL CONDITION. I DON'T PARTICULARLY CARE WHAT YOU THINK OF AFRICA AND AFRICANS, I CARE WHETHER YOU TREAT ME THE WAY YOU THINK OF ME.

ALL NON-AFRICANS ARE RACISM/PREJUDICE SUSPECTS TO ME, AND "PERPS" -NAH. I AVOID CONTACT WITH NON-AFRICANS TO PROTECT MY PSYCHIC HEALTH, AND WORK TO LIMIT THE DANGER TO ME OF RACISTS.

YOU CAN ACCUSE ME OF BEING PREJUDICED OR EVEN RACIST, THOUGH YOU WOULD BE WRONG. EXPERIENCE HAS TAUGHT ME THIS TOOL AS AN AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE OF SELF, AND THAT I AM SWIMMING UP-STREAM TRYING TO "WORK TO END RACISM." THEY KNOW BETTER.

THESE PEOPLE HAVE A PROBLEM, AND I REFUSE TO SORT THEM OUT, BEING DISTRACTED BY THEIR ACTS OF COMMISSION AND OMISSION, AND AM DOING JUST FINE.

The danger with a show like this in an era when racism is being re-defined and the victims it are being accused of it that it loses its meaning and people are de-sensitized to its impact.

The mental and physical affects that Africans suffer from racism in the world in general and the U.S. in particular is appaling and well documented.

WE MUST TREAT RACISM/RACISTS AS THE "SICK" PEOPLE THEY ARE, AND MOVE TO AVIOD THEM. WE MUST ATTACH THE SOCIAL STIGMA TO RACISM, NOT TURN IT INTO AN ENTERTAINING EXPERIENCE.

I GUESS YOU COULD SAY THAT MY RESPONSE TO RACISM IS TO TREAT IT LIKE THE CHARACTERS TREATED THE VIRUS IN THE MOVIE 'OUTBREAK.' I 'AINT TRYING TO CATCH IT OR BE INFECTED/AFFECTED BY IT.

THE CARRIERS ARE KNOWN, AND SO I ACT TO PROTECT MYSELF BY NOT ASSOCIATING WITH OR EXPOSING MYSELF TO INFECTION.
      "Humpty Dumpty was PUSHED"

nattyreb is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

I AM EMPOWERED BY THE ACCEPTANCE THAT RACISM IS A WILLFUL CONDITION. I DON'T PARTICULARLY CARE WHAT YOU THINK OF AFRICA AND AFRICANS, I CARE WHETHER YOU TREAT ME THE WAY YOU THINK OF ME.
      This i agree with, CC, and i couldn't express it better than that!

The danger with a show like this in an era when racism is being re-defined and the victims it are being accused of it that it loses its meaning and people are de-sensitized to its impact.
      But i don't see how the above could be possible based on the premise of it.... however, that remains to be seen whenever the show airs. If done in a really *real* way, the opposite is possible. What if it helps to put that disgusting "race card" term to rest? Perhaps it will show these newly-minted Blacks as applying for home/business loans, trying to get employment, and other necessary negotiations we all have to make in this society. It could very likely illustrate that every aspect of our lives is determined in a major aspect by race (as well as class).

Furthermore, there are huge numbers of our people who still subscribe to the philosophy of pull yourselves up by your bootstraps and fairy tales will come true in this white-controlled society (i.e., Bill Cosby and those he impresses). In fact, this could be the perfect response to the b.s. the "Cos" has been pushing as his newest schtick. Surprisingly, even in light of what happened in NOLA, we have numerous examples of our folks still desperately clinging to the red-white-and blue (as you already know). Many of our folks will tune in to an Ice Cube quicker than they ever would any of us and my position is not to condemn this project unless/until it deserves it.
      "We must continue to move forward and do everything we can to outlaw legal lynching in America. We must continue to stand together in unity and to demand a moratorium on all executions. You must stay strong. You must continue to hold your heads up, and to be there. We will prevail. Keep marching Black people. They are killing me tonight. They are murdering me tonight." -- Excerpts of Last Words of Bro. Shaka Sankofa, an innocent man executed by the state of Texas, 6/22/00. www.myspace.com/nattyreb7

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by nattyreb
      This i agree with, CC, and i couldn't express it better than that!

But i don't see how the above could be possible based on the premise of it.... however, that remains to be seen whenever the show airs. If done in a really *real* way, the opposite is possible. What if it helps to put that disgusting "race card" term to rest? Perhaps it will show these newly-minted Blacks as applying for home/business loans, trying to get employment, and other necessary negotiations we all have to make in this society. It could very likely illustrate that every aspect of our lives is determined in a major aspect by race (as well as class).

Furthermore, there are huge numbers of our people who still subscribe to the philosophy of pull yourselves up by your bootstraps and fairy tales will come true in this white-controlled society (i.e., Bill Cosby and those he impresses). In fact, this could be the perfect response to the b.s. the "Cos" has been pushing as his newest schtick. Surprisingly, even in light of what happened in NOLA, we have numerous examples of our folks still desperately clinging to the red-white-and blue (as you already know). Many of our folks will tune in to an Ice Cube quicker than they ever would any of us and my position is not to condemn this project unless/until it deserves it.

You make some sound arguments why this might work. As I wrote, I was picturing "The Real World, or The Apprentice" and thinking about the so-called entertainment value of such a show. The bottom line is that networks won't do it unless it draws viewers and advertising.

Assuming that it does air, and done "properly" under the conditions that you describe, then what?

I know that we don't "own" that part, but where would people go from there. My guess is that the usual excuses such as "isolated incident," and "not all businesses/yt people are like that."

Whatever, man. It's too bad that Africans don't respect themselves enough to not reward companies for the blatant dis-regard that they have for us. i promise you if I were in the U.S., I'd be shopping at thrift stores.

I vote with my pocket and feet.

Word for 2006 -DIGNITY
      "Humpty Dumpty was PUSHED"

Tehuti-4 is offline Atef Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/1

Just me, or is this a bad idea ...
      What do I know ...
      Not much, really, but something tells me, FX's new show, scheduled sometime in March, may run into choppy waters.

Called Black.White, the show will follow two families, one black, the other white, who will use makeup to become the others' race. These pics are of the white daughter, Rose Wurgel, as makeup artists transform her into a black woman. The show is the product of new FX chief John Landgraf along with Ice Cube, Matt Alvarez and R.J. Cutler, who produced FX's 30 Days last summer and the Bill Clinton documentary thing The War Room back in '93.

"What's it like to live in someone else's skin? That question will be answered in March with a provocative and insightful new original series," the promo announces. The makeup jobs took 3-5 hours daily for the families, and supposedly the series "challenge(d) their core values and beliefs in ways they could have never imagined."

Tough subject, is all I'm saying. Perhaps a noble cause, but there is every opportunity to turn this into a painful episode. Careful guys.
      The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed.

Thumbs Up/Down

that was dayum good make-up job...before reading the article i thought that was two different people

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

Talking hey johny p lol

i think sista souljah should be in the program she would kick ice cube sorry azz and the white peoples azz alike yall,along with flava flav,she would be kicking his azz even harder yall lol

sotito! sododo! soora masika!
      " perform truth,perform righteousness,perform kindness and avoid cruelty!"

Nipa nye abe dua na ne ho ahyia ne ho. Or, Se mmerenkensono si ne ti ase a, na ewo dea asase reka kyere no. Also, Nnua nyinaa bewu agya abe.

SheRose is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Unhappy

This show is gonna be another joke, a show for the SLEEPWALKERS. White folks aren't ignorant to the plight of Black folks. They know what the hell they've done. That ignorant, play dumb crap, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'VE DONE" is for the birds. They already know pretty much what it must be like to have to live as a second-classed citizen in this country. They just wanna rub alcohol on an already wounded soul.

They chose the RIGHT ONE to present though. That steppin-fetchit Ice Cube. Yeah, that negro will sell another Black down the river in a heartbeat. The White Man KNOWS who his Toms and Thomasinas are. They ALWAYS know.

Sherose

freepoet is offline Freedom Fighter

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Bottom line.the makeup comes off.she goes back home.Its a Farce.ITs ment to passify the wounds.the History.its a brainwashing ploy.''Chris Rock'' said it best in one of his concerts. he said. Im up here, and the White usher showing people to they seats.wouldnet want to be ME!.with my blackass..an Im RICH. Its a ''social and mental MASK''that is being put on the public. hoodwinked, and BAMBOOZLED.Ice Cube Sold out long ago,withthat new amos and andy barbarshop shit!grinnin niggers in''Whiteywood''LA. I resent it.personally.and i wrote the Screen actors Guild,as im in that Union.If it werent for ''Whoopie''I wouldnt be in it to get proper wage when i perform.What most people dont know about ''Whoopie''is that she wont work unless all the people are black on her set.and shes ahd the same Entorage since star trek.the ''tablods''at the grocery store waiting to pay had me totally Brainwashed as to who she was as a person.Till i met her Crew and worked with her 3times.

Thread Information