Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    View Poll Results: Who is your favorite (instrumentalist) jazz aritst?

    Voters
    38. You may not vote on this poll
    • John Coltrane

      23 60.53%
    • Art Blakey

      5 13.16%
    • Louis Armstrong

      3 7.89%
    • Miles Davis

      9 23.68%
    • Dizzie Gilespie

      2 5.26%
    • Donald Byrd

      2 5.26%
    • Duke Ellington

      2 5.26%
    • Wynton Marsalis

      0 0%
    • Someone else

      8 21.05%
    • Charlie Parker

      2 5.26%
    • Herbie Hancock

      2 5.26%
    • Max Roach

      0 0%
    • Ahmad Jamal

      2 5.26%
    Multiple Choice Poll.
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 15 of 35
    1. #1
      GoodRain's Avatar
      GoodRain is offline Warrior

      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Dade City, FL
      Posts
      1,129
      Blog Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      168

      Favorite Jazz Artist


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Through out my life I have had different experiences while listening to jazz music. From the beginning I saw as just disturbing noises. As I grew older I used many times just to get to sleep when I could not. I dont listen to alot of it but seem to have a like for the mellow and cool jazz. I want to know which jazz artist you like the most and any other thoughts you may have. I have just included the ones that are famous for playing instruments.
      Last edited by GoodRain; 02-26-2006 at 02:10 PM.

    2. #2

      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Location
      Cairo, Egypt
      Posts
      1,438
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      226

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Shirley Horn
      Natalie Cole "Take a Look" is DA Bomb!
      Will Downing
      Miles david
      Coltrane
      Some Ella
      Eartha Kitt
      A little Roy Hargrove
      Joe henderson
      Nina Simone is more "Blues-y"

      I am partial to the jazz-vocalists, myself.
      "Humpty Dumpty was PUSHED"

    3. #3
      Akyeame Kwame's Avatar
      Akyeame Kwame is offline Abibikasawura

      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Aye Dudu
      Posts
      7,048
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      0

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Learn Twi, Yoruba and Wolof ||| Live Interactive Online



      Abibitumi Kasa Afrikan Liberation Institute

      Abibitumi Kasa Ning Network


    4. #4
      Nia Maishani's Avatar
      Nia Maishani is offline 1 in a Billion Twin-Soul

      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      In the trenches...
      Posts
      1,310
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      183

      Syncopated Rhythms...


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      I selected John Coltrane from the list offered, but the absence of Lady Day, Ella Fitzgerald, Bessie Smith and Bird Parker is glaring.

      I also am partial to Thelonius Monk and Pharaoh Sanders. In a way like no other genre, Jazz music makes me think (and feel), and it moves me. Reggae makes me think (and feel), but in a different way.

      I also love Dinah Washington and Sarah Vaughan.

      I'm going to comment on Dinah Washington here, because I think she is one that didn't ever really get the attention she deserved. When I first heard her music, I was working at an office plantation years ago, and a caucasian dude of all people was playing it in the office. He was the boyfriend of my supervisor at the time, and I asked him what it was he was listening to. (I don't normally engage yurugu like that, but I was moved and stunned, and I had to know).

      Undoubtedly the most legendary of those listed, Coltrane, the first time I really started listening to his art (I mean listening, not just hearing), I picked up a copy of A Love Supreme after listening to Gil Scott Heron's A Love Supreme. That was the very beginning of something very beautiful, something which led me to check out some of the other greats as well. Years ago, I saw a stage play about Charlie Parker which turned me onto his music. The early rap group Digable Planets (circa 1992) turned me onto Thelonius Monk and many others. I mean, astounding stuff here, which gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. I wanna go home and go through my crates now.

      In addition to those mentioned:
      Count Basie
      Cab Calloway
      Cannonball Adderley
      Ray Charles
      Chet Baker
      Nat King Cole
      Lester Young
      Celia Cruz
      Ella Fitzgerald
      Dorothy Dandridge
      Vivian Green
      Diane Reeves
      Max Roach
      Lou Rawls
      Hugh Masekela
      Lee Morgan (The Rajah)
      Miles Davis
      Eric Dolphy
      Herbie Hancock
      George Benson
      Pat Metheny
      Norman Connors
      Babatunde Lea
      Gato Barbieri
      Tito Puente
      Roy Ayers
      Lionel Hampton

      If you folk are on this vibe, you ought to make an appearance in the voice chat sometimes, which is typically a Lounge atmosphere.

      "When Lester (Young) plays, he almost seems to be singing; one can almost hear the words." ~Billie Holiday

      "By and large, Jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with." ~Duke Ellington

      "Jazz is a very democratic musical form. It comes out of a communal experience. We take our respective instruments and collectively create a thing of beauty." ~Max Roach

      "Don't play what's there, play what's not there." ~Miles Davis

      "Well, if I could play like Wynton, I wouldn't play like Wynton." ~Chet Baker

      Ase!
      Resident
      Blackalicious
      Guedebuster

      Nia Maishani
      SmJ

      "Walk like you're chosen." ~Grand Verbalizer

    5. #5
      Raha's Avatar
      Raha is offline Be EASY.

      Join Date
      May 2005
      Location
      SW H-Town
      Posts
      2,031
      Blog Entries
      11
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      245

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nia Maishani
      I selected John Coltrane from the list offered, but the absence of Lady Day, Ella Fitzgerald, Bessie Smith and Bird Parker is glaring.

      I also am partial to Thelonius Monk and Pharaoh Sanders. In a way like no other genre, Jazz music makes me think (and feel), and it moves me. Reggae makes me think (and feel), but in a different way.

      I also love Dinah Washington and Sarah Vaughan.

      I'm going to comment on Dinah Washington here, because I think she is one that didn't ever really get the attention she deserved. When I first heard her music, I was working at an office plantation years ago, and a caucasian dude of all people was playing it in the office. He was the boyfriend of my supervisor at the time, and I asked him what it was he was listening to. (I don't normally engage yurugu like that, but I was moved and stunned, and I had to know).

      Undoubtedly the most legendary of those listed, Coltrane, the first time I really started listening to his art (I mean listening, not just hearing), I picked up a copy of A Love Supreme after listening to Gil Scott Heron's A Love Supreme. That was the very beginning of something very beautiful, something which led me to check out some of the other greats as well. Years ago, I saw a stage play about Charlie Parker which turned me onto his music. The early rap group Digable Planets (circa 1992) turned me onto Thelonius Monk and many others. I mean, astounding stuff here, which gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. I wanna go home and go through my crates now.

      In addition to those mentioned:
      Count Basie
      Cab Calloway
      Cannonball Adderley
      Ray Charles
      Chet Baker
      Nat King Cole
      Lester Young
      Celia Cruz
      Ella Fitzgerald
      Dorothy Dandridge
      Vivian Green
      Diane Reeves
      Max Roach
      Lou Rawls
      Hugh Masekela
      Lee Morgan (The Rajah)
      Miles Davis
      Eric Dolphy
      Herbie Hancock
      George Benson
      Pat Metheny
      Norman Connors
      Babatunde Lea
      Gato Barbieri
      Tito Puente
      Roy Ayers
      Lionel Hampton

      If you folk are on this vibe, you ought to make an appearance in the voice chat sometimes, which is typically a Lounge atmosphere.

      "When Lester (Young) plays, he almost seems to be singing; one can almost hear the words." ~Billie Holiday

      "By and large, Jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with." ~Duke Ellington

      "Jazz is a very democratic musical form. It comes out of a communal experience. We take our respective instruments and collectively create a thing of beauty." ~Max Roach

      "Don't play what's there, play what's not there." ~Miles Davis

      "Well, if I could play like Wynton, I wouldn't play like Wynton." ~Chet Baker

      Ase!
      Sister Nia, Sister Nia, Sister Nia...this list of yours makes me smile like nobody's business. I see a lot of artists in there that I love, artists that I know about but haven't had the chance to listen to, and artists that I did not know about completely.

      You ALWAYS come correct with your lists, love.

      No one mentioned Sade? Hmmmm....

      It's hard for me to choose, since I have yet to listen to all of the great jazz artists that this world has offered and continue to offer.

      Peace.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

      Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

    6. #6
      GoodRain's Avatar
      GoodRain is offline Warrior

      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Dade City, FL
      Posts
      1,129
      Blog Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      168

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Since the list can be quite large I choosed just the ones famous for playing instuments.

    7. #7
      Raha's Avatar
      Raha is offline Be EASY.

      Join Date
      May 2005
      Location
      SW H-Town
      Posts
      2,031
      Blog Entries
      11
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      245

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GoodRain
      Since the list can be quite large I choosed just the ones famous for playing instuments.
      Even then, the list is quite huge.

      But I understand.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

      Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

    8. #8
      AfroNinpo's Avatar
      AfroNinpo is offline Media Assassin!

      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      ATLanta, GA
      Posts
      783
      Blog Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      166

      Herbie Hancock


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!


      Man....Good Rain...how you gonna exclude my boy Herbie!!??

      Watermelon Man is my favorite Jazz song!
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur
      The Greatest Revenge Is MASSIVE Success!

    9. #9
      Nia Maishani's Avatar
      Nia Maishani is offline 1 in a Billion Twin-Soul

      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      In the trenches...
      Posts
      1,310
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      183

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Raha
      Sister Nia, Sister Nia, Sister Nia...this list of yours makes me smile like nobody's business. I see a lot of artists in there that I love, artists that I know about but haven't had the chance to listen to, and artists that I did not know about completely.

      You ALWAYS come correct with your lists, love.

      No one mentioned Sade? Hmmmm....

      It's hard for me to choose, since I have yet to listen to all of the great jazz artists that this world has offered and continue to offer.

      Peace.

      LOL. Brother Raha, I knew our Resident Music Aficionado would be feelin' me on this. And you're right, Sade is never to be forgotten. Smooth Jazz on the real.

      If you want a good crash listen to some of the best, Brother I would suggest you nab a copy of the Blue Break Beats collection (by Blue Note) if you can find it at a reasonable price. If not the whole collection (4 discs), at least check out #3 & #4 because I know they are sold separately around ebay and amazon. Also, any Jazz or Jazz collection put out by Rhino Records or Blue Note is going to be right on time. BBB certainly won't cover all those artists listed, but some of those greats are included. Or if all else fails, rummage through your hip older relative's collection with their permission (I think we all have one somewhere).
      Resident
      Blackalicious
      Guedebuster

      Nia Maishani
      SmJ

      "Walk like you're chosen." ~Grand Verbalizer

    10. #10
      Nia Maishani's Avatar
      Nia Maishani is offline 1 in a Billion Twin-Soul

      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      In the trenches...
      Posts
      1,310
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      183

      Thumbs up


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GoodRain
      Since the list can be quite large I choosed just the ones famous for playing instuments.
      I figured as much, Brother GoodRain, but it was wrong for you to sleep on Birdman.
      Resident
      Blackalicious
      Guedebuster

      Nia Maishani
      SmJ

      "Walk like you're chosen." ~Grand Verbalizer

    11. #11
      Nia Maishani's Avatar
      Nia Maishani is offline 1 in a Billion Twin-Soul

      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      In the trenches...
      Posts
      1,310
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      183

      Thumbs up


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AfroNinpo


      Man....Good Rain...how you gonna exclude my boy Herbie!!??

      Watermelon Man is my favorite Jazz song!
      Brother AfroNinpo, you're speaking a language I can dig. What about Bring Down the Birds and Olilloqui Valley? Herbie's the Man fo' sho'.
      Resident
      Blackalicious
      Guedebuster

      Nia Maishani
      SmJ

      "Walk like you're chosen." ~Grand Verbalizer

    12. #12
      AfroNinpo's Avatar
      AfroNinpo is offline Media Assassin!

      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      ATLanta, GA
      Posts
      783
      Blog Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      166

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nia Maishani
      Brother AfroNinpo, you're speaking a language I can dig. What about Bring Down the Birds and Olilloqui Valley? Herbie's the Man fo' sho'.
      Yeah, and Sly...and Vein Melter...the list goes on!!!!!
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur
      The Greatest Revenge Is MASSIVE Success!

    13. #13
      Akyeame Kwame's Avatar
      Akyeame Kwame is offline Abibikasawura

      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Aye Dudu
      Posts
      7,048
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      0

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Please don't leave out Chameleon!!!

      AK
      Learn Twi, Yoruba and Wolof ||| Live Interactive Online



      Abibitumi Kasa Afrikan Liberation Institute

      Abibitumi Kasa Ning Network


    14. #14
      AfroNinpo's Avatar
      AfroNinpo is offline Media Assassin!

      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      ATLanta, GA
      Posts
      783
      Blog Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      166

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Akyeame Kwame
      Please don't leave out Chameleon!!!

      AK
      Undeniably one of Herbie's Greatest!!!

      But I gotta put you on to another one of his less talked about SMASHES! One of his more mellow tracks...Butterfly! Get with it then get at me!
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur
      The Greatest Revenge Is MASSIVE Success!

    15. #15
      GoodRain's Avatar
      GoodRain is offline Warrior

      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Dade City, FL
      Posts
      1,129
      Blog Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      168

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      I request for the administration to put Herbie Hancock in for one of the other ones.

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. A New Jazz Artist Is Born
      By TTDC Bot in forum Afrikan World News
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 11-28-2013, 02:30 AM
    2. Your favorite soup
      By MamaDahomey in forum Afrikan Wholistic Health
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM
    3. Favorite Quotes
      By BlackQueen in forum Open Forum
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 05-01-2006, 10:57 AM
    4. Jazz Artist Launches Online Contest
      By Raha in forum Conscious Music - Artists - News And Views
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 10-21-2005, 06:25 PM
    5. Favorite Charities
      By IfasehunReincarnated in forum Liberation Strategy
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 08-03-2005, 04:33 PM

    Thread Participants: 19

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  


    About

      Assata Shakur Speaks is an Forum Devoted To Assata Shakur And All Political Prisoners Around The World.
      Assata Shakur Speaks Is An Oasis Of Pan African Information Geared Towards The Liberation Of Afrikan People.

    Follow Us On

    Twitter Facebook youtube Flickr DavianArt Dribbble RSS Feed



    BACK TO TOP