Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0

Angry What Happened To Hip-Hop?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      I'm disgusted with this new brand of garbage that they label "hip-hop".

I'm absolutely livid about artists (if you can call them that) such as Jeezy, Dem Franchise Boys, Slim Thug, 50 Cent and G-Unit, Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Ying-Yang twins, T.I, and Bubba Sparxxx, and Bow Wow (just to name a few) gaining this so-called credibility for this garbage that's being pumped into the youth's heads!

What's worse is that this image that these artists portray is the image that is reflected upon Black people and more importantly the Black youth in amerikkka.

Whatever happened to the KRS-1s, the Digable Planets, the Eric B. and Rakims, the DJ Jazzy Jeffs and the Fresh Princes, positive MCs, REAL MCs?!

Remember when Hip-Hop used to be fun? Remamber the "Beat Street" days?

Hip-Hop used to be a tool, a revolutionary tool. Now it's being used as a self destructive tool.

Hip-Hop needs to be resurrected. If we can save Hip-Hop, I think it would be a big step in saving our children.
      We are not citizens of amerikkka. We are victims of amerikkka.

Escobar is offline sharecropper

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Student
      I'm disgusted with this new brand of garbage that they label "hip-hop".

I'm absolutely livid about artists (if you can call them that) such as Jeezy, Dem Franchise Boys, Slim Thug, 50 Cent and G-Unit, Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Ying-Yang twins, T.I, and Bubba Sparxxx, and Bow Wow (just to name a few) gaining this so-called credibility for this garbage that's being pumped into the youth's heads!

What's worse is that this image that these artists portray is the image that is reflected upon Black people and more importantly the Black youth in amerikkka.

Whatever happened to the KRS-1s, the Digable Planets, the Eric B. and Rakims, the DJ Jazzy Jeffs and the Fresh Princes, positive MCs, REAL MCs?!

Hip-Hop used to be a tool, a revolutionary tool. Now it's being used as a self destructive tool.

Hip-Hop needs to be resurrected. If we can save Hip-Hop, I think it would be a big step in saving our children.
      hip hop has gone down the drain

WombanAuset is offline Sacred Militant Womb-Man

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 5/0

It's not hip hop..its rap crap.. All we gotta do is seperate the two,and put our old school music on...it would be tight if they had an old school hip hop channel...but oh well..media wont do it..they constantly want to feed us death.
      Ahoofe ntua ka, suban pa na hia- physical beauty does not count much, it is good character that counts.
      See a black man dead, from a white man's powder
      See a white man scared, from a black man's power~Timbaland

AfroNinpo is offline Media Assassin!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I'm with you! Fully! The problem is, these people are getting money. BIG money! It's hard for consciousness to compete with cash. It's like DPz say, "Would you rather have a Lexus, or justice? A dream or some substance? A Beemer, a necklace, or Freedom?" Most of the brothers in the game would take the Lexus, Beemer, and the necklace. As long as they are the ones eating, they don't care. In my opinion...if you could convince the Rap world that they have a responsability to their people, then you could possibly save Hip Hop.

Shout out the homie Little 95...we talked on this for about an hour a few weeks ago!
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur
      The Greatest Revenge Is MASSIVE Success!

Kimani is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

i remember; the South is contributing to bringing some of the "fun" back into Hip-Hop these days, although in all the wrong ways, and for all the wrong reasons; why the East Coast and West Coast have to be so dayum serious and negative?; this is one of the reasons why the South is on fire right now; the "fun" element to Hip-Hop is one of its most defining characteristics. Uhuru!
      "The problem with modern conceptualizations is it leaves no room for other sources of knowledge...The Kemetic concept approaches the process of knowing from a more 'common sense' approach. Ultimately knowing is the result of a divine, universal, and intergenerational conversation among God the creator, the cosmos, nature and the creatures of the earth, especially human beings...the process of human creativity is an imitation or rather repitition of divine creativity."--Jacob Carruthers

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by kimani
      i remember; the South is contributing to bringing some of the "fun" back into Hip-Hop these days, although in all the wrong ways, and for all the wrong reasons; why the East Coast and West Coast have to be so dayum serious and negative?; this is one of the reasons why the South is on fire right now; the "fun" element to Hip-Hop is one of its most defining characteristics. Uhuru!

I can appreciate a good party track as much as the next man, but when it comes to people like Sh!tty Cent (from the east cost and NOT serious) comes out with garbage like, "you can find me in the club with a bottle full of bub, ma I got that ex if you're into takin' drugs, I'm into havin' sex, I ain't into makin' love, so come give me a hug if you into getting .....etc" the party is over! Too much play is taking place. There is not enough seriousness. The mainstream rap playing over the airwaves, ESPECIALLY IN THE SOUTH, is straight BULLSHIT...period!
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by AfroNinpo
      I can appreciate a good party track as much as the next man, but when it comes to people like Sh!tty Cent (from the east cost and NOT serious) comes out with garbage like, "you can find me in the club with a bottle full of bub, ma I got that ex if you're into takin' drugs, I'm into havin' sex, I ain't into makin' love, so come give me a hug if you into getting .....etc" the party is over! Too much play is taking place. There is not enough seriousness. The mainstream rap playing over the airwaves, ESPECIALLY IN THE SOUTH, is straight BULLSHIT...period!
      And to say the least, I'm offended that they call this quote un-qote "music" "Hip-Hop". It's not hip-hop; it's trash!

Hue-Man is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I agree, I cant speak for any other region, but the music played here in the south is realy starting to disgust me. Its not even the rap music thats being played most of the time that is contributing to the actions of our youth, for instance the RnB song "Im in love with a stripper" has been on heavy rotation, and if that wasnt enough they had to make a remix with a couple of rappers on it, leaving very little to the imagination about what they want to do with strippers, even when they try to bleep it out. These radio stations have to give children more credit than that, as if they cant figure out the messages that are being inforced.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Hue-Man
      I agree, I cant speak for any other region, but the music played here in the south is realy starting to disgust me. Its not even the rap music thats being played most of the time that is contributing to the actions of our youth, for instance the RnB song "Im in love with a stripper" has been on heavy rotation, and if that wasnt enough they had to make a remix with a couple of rappers on it, leaving very little to the imagination about what they want to do with strippers, even when they try to bleep it out. These radio stations have to give children more credit than that, as if they cant figure out the messages that are being inforced.
      I loathe that damn song! It came on in the car and my step daughter started singing it and I immediately popped in a Marvin Gaye CD. LOL!

Thumbs Up/Down

Peace!

What happened to Hip-Hop? We did. We tuned in and applauded while a halfrican -thanks General, force-fed us this continuously degrading garbage to the tune of a billion-dollar fortune while creating the false-perception that BET was "our" network, MTV and their "surburban" presentation and seeming "acceptance" and "inclusion" of African youth into the MTV generation.

Parents who since the 70s who have trended-down in age, education and maturity to the point where their musical tastes are synonymous with their children, even granny/grandpa' can drop it like it's hot and tear da' club up.

There will always be a message in the music. The message being sent is one we don't like. We can blame those who are expressing at the level of their consciousness AND put in work to change the reality of would-be artists so that their musical expression reflect a different set of experiences and self-perception.

Seriously, there may be some puffing in hip-hop songs and music, but I "think" that a lot of these artists see themselves as what they present, which is scary.

One observation that it's a good idea to me that Afrikans begin to create and express our cultural talents and gifts for Afrikans, not package it as "entertainment" for mass or yt-consumption.

Question: Was the level of our musical expression better when WE were the intended audience? I tend to think so. Making music for ourselves again may go a long way toward increasing the quality of the music. Those artists that we crave are those who DON"T create for mass-consumption. "Take Back the Music."

Peace & Love!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I loathe that damn song! It came on in the car and my step daughter started singing it and I immediately popped in a Marvin Gaye CD. LOL!
      Hopefully it was, "What's Going On?" LOL!
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur

Kimani is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

southern-BULLSHIT!, i agree, but on fire nonetheless; pity-Cent's attitude, his image, is "serious" even when he is "having fun"; what the Dirty-Dirty is doing with songs like "Lean Wit It Rock Wit It" is taking some of the thug-seriousness away and it getting more mass appeal, sales; if that makes sense; they make big bucks off this; Dem Franchise Boyz, or their marketers, has mastered this technique; they dont take themselves, their thuggery, very "seriously"; thats the point. Uhuru!
      "The problem with modern conceptualizations is it leaves no room for other sources of knowledge...The Kemetic concept approaches the process of knowing from a more 'common sense' approach. Ultimately knowing is the result of a divine, universal, and intergenerational conversation among God the creator, the cosmos, nature and the creatures of the earth, especially human beings...the process of human creativity is an imitation or rather repitition of divine creativity."--Jacob Carruthers

Thumbs Up/Down

Hopefully it was, "What's Going On?" LOL!
      Actually, it was "Inner-City Blues" I love that song!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by kimani
      southern-BULLSHIT!, i agree, but on fire nonetheless; pity-Cent's attitude, his image, is "serious" even when he is "having fun"; what the Dirty-Dirty is doing with songs like "Lean Wit It Rock Wit It" is taking some of the thug-seriousness away and it getting more mass appeal, sales; if that makes sense; they make big bucks off this; Dem Franchise Boyz, or their marketers, has mastered this technique; they dont take themselves, their thuggery, very "seriously"; thats the point. Uhuru!

Keep in mind, it's not about the fact that the rappers themselves don't take their lyrics/personas seriously...it's the 15 year old little brotha with daddy's six shooter and a bag of weed that does. I can't big up 'lean with it rock with it' after having heard clips of the rest of their CD. The mainstream southern rap culture is destroying us!
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur

Ta'Ziyah is offline The Afrikan Truth Seeker

Thumbs Up/Down

Actually, it was "Inner-City Blues" I love that song!
      Hotep!

I love that song too, and "Save The Children". Those are my two favorite songs from that album, Marvin really told the truth on "What's Going On" the album. After seeing a clip showing various pictures of our ancestors being lynched & what not during the early 1900's with "Inner City Blues" playing in the background really made me like the song even more than I did before because it really captured all those moments in just a few moments.

But going back to the topic; like Dead Prez said, "turn off the radio, turn off that bullshit", turn off BET, MTV, VH1, or any other music stations, only look at independent hip hop magazines and not Source, XXL, Vibe, etc. Those media only put out what the corporations see as being "hot" at the time, which is Dirty South hip hop, which isn't really hip hop in the first place. The only groups I see that are doing positive moves and are still popular are OutKast, Goodie Mob, and Little Brother. The other groups are still on that SHIT-hop vibe (Dem Franchize Boyz, D4L, Lil Jon, etc.) as Black Dot calls it. I only pay attention to the online radio stations that play what you want, when you want, and I only play CDs that I bought or made on the radio, that's it.

Peace.

"If you don't understand White Supremacy (Racism), what it is, and how it works, everything else that you understand will only confuse you" -Neely Fuller, Jr.
      "The apparent triumph of the civil rights movement [...] has led us to this age when millions of young Blacks not only don’t know their rich history of rebellion and resistance; they don’t wanna know." -Mumia Abu-Jamal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information