Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
      godisblack3 is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Why is Rakim always chosen over KRS as the G.O.A.T.?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      I found this topic on another website(daveyd.com) & I would LOVE to view YOUR perspectives on it.

http://p076.ezboard.com/fpoliticalpa...cID=1663.topic

http://p076.ezboard.com/fpoliticalpa...art=21&stop=35

Here's MINE: RA & KRS
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      To begin with,Rakim's VOICE is omnipotent, an effect KRS's voice simply doesn't have on audiences in comparison to Ra.The God's voice immediately demands his listeners undivided attention & respect.His voice is also synonymous with the definition of KOOL.

Rakim was gangster before it was fashionable....so was KRS with the pioneering album cover,& title cut CRIMINAL MINDED,HOWEVER,RAKIM off of wax actually used to be a stick up kid,ROBBIN NIGGAS, as he told us in *PAID IN FULL*.....thus Ra fit the criminal/thugged out/gansgta profile with official credibility more than Kris..... For KRS it was more of a conceptual gangsta image...a mental gangsta, if u will.

Rakim has remained CONSISTANT with his assurance of self-identity, whereas KRS is a CONSTANT CONTRADICTION....THIS has definitely playyed a huge role in RAKIM's being crowned G.O.A.T. over KRS ONE.
      From 1986-2006{that's right 20 years straight } Rakim was ALWAYS 007,Microphone Fiend, the GOD.

KRS ONE is the TEACHA & philosopher NO QUESTION,BUT THEN after awhile, he started a trend of contradictions:

he makes a record saying he's not an emcee{PART TIME SUCKA};then albums later, he makes a record titled THE EMCEE.
      first he says the Blackman is GOD....then he says the Blackman is NOT GOD because GOD is CONSCIOUSNESS...THEN HE DENOUNCES BEING BLACK in exchange for being HIPHOP?
      People get tired of inconsistencies after awhile.Honestly, I'm begining to think that KRS ONE uses his self-contradiction as a TRADEMARK to: a)REMAIN UNIQUE & b)continue to be the BOILING HOT topic of HIPHOP debate
      some people may just dismiss him as having a serious identity crisis.

Regardless of all'a that,KRS ONE does have the more dominant stageshow than Rakim{& damn near anybody else in HIPHOP} & more ALBUMS released than ANYBODY else in the genre & more STYLES than ANYBODY else in HIPHOP also, BUT RAKIM's POWER of INFLUENCE FAR OUTWEIGHS KRSONEs as far as EMCEEs are concerned.RAKIM has created so many scholars in devotion to the artistry of RHYMIN its ridiculous....EVERYBODY HAD TO ELEVATE THEIR WRITING SKILLZ once he dropped MY MELODY.Ask the MAJORITY of EMCEES THROUGHOUT THE WORLD WHO is the Greatest Of All Time, & I'm willing to bet a MILLION DOLLARS that 99.9% of them will mention RAKIM's name BEFORE KRS's.

As someone said earlier, KRS is WELL KNOWN for BATTLIN, so he'll say your name as he's roastin u which is all love, but RAKIM NEVER Had to mention anybody's name because that would be giving his opposition RECOGNITION,which he ain't tryin to give.For WHAT?
      Whenever he rhymes in FREESTYLE FORM{NOT that OFF THE DOME B.S. either}on a record, HE's TEARING ALL CHALLENGERS & HATERS A NEW ASSHOLE ANYWAY.
      That's how HE battles, & because of this technique, he has NEVER lost a battle YET....Thus being 20 year reigning HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD IS STILL UNDEFEATED....RAKIM ALLAH :GREATEST OF ALL TIME.PEACE.

SOUL2DA7THPOWER aka GODISBLACK3

G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A. is offline Universal Wisdom Seeker

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 6/0

Uhuru! But once again there is no such thing as "best" when it deals with HipHop Kulture.

WombanAuset is offline Sacred Militant Womb-Man

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 5/0

Maybe because he might have more new skool appeal and or whities can deal with him better? I dont know
      Ahoofe ntua ka, suban pa na hia- physical beauty does not count much, it is good character that counts.
      See a black man dead, from a white man's powder
      See a white man scared, from a black man's power~Timbaland

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

I know some people who put KRS-ONE over Rakim. I know some people who say Big Daddy Kane is the G.O.A.T. too. I used to say KRS myself, but lately, when it comes to lyricism, I've been leaning more towards Kool G. Rap. Underrated but HELLA vicious.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I think Gza has some lyrical prowess also.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I can name a lot of emcees who can spit pure lyricism though. Uhuru!

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A.
      Uhuru! But once again there is no such thing as "best" when it deals with HipHop Kulture.
      But hip-hop culture used to be propelled forward by competition. B-boys battling to be "THE BEST" breakdancer...emcees battling to be "THE BEST" emcee. Graff artists battling to be "THE BEST" Graff artists. Etc. So I don't know if I can agree with this. Although I will admit this may not be reality within hip-hop culture anymore.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Actually it was just a meeting place between people when it first began. The battles only began with the egotism that got involved into the kulture. Its all good with battles and all but not when you have people trying to kill each other and what not thats not what the HipHop Kulture was created for. To each its own though. Thats why we must teach knowledge of self to the youngstas. Some of these Grown men and women seem to be lost about the HipHop Kulture these days and times.

Thumbs Up/Down

CAN WE STICK with the MAIN TOPIC, which is KRS & RAKIM,PLEASE? I consider quite a few others G.O.A.T as well, however, THIS particular discussion is about Rakim & KRSONE.

Tehuti-4 is offline Atef Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/1

I got Rakim topping my list of mc's no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by godisblack3
      I found this topic on another website(daveyd.com) & I would LOVE to view YOUR perspectives on it.

http://p076.ezboard.com/fpoliticalpa...cID=1663.topic

http://p076.ezboard.com/fpoliticalpa...art=21&stop=35

Here's MINE: RA & KRS
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      To begin with,Rakim's VOICE is omnipotent, an effect KRS's voice simply doesn't have on audiences in comparison to Ra.The God's voice immediately demands his listeners undivided attention & respect.His voice is also synonymous with the definition of KOOL.

Rakim was gangster before it was fashionable....so was KRS with the pioneering album cover,& title cut CRIMINAL MINDED,HOWEVER,RAKIM off of wax actually used to be a stick up kid,ROBBIN NIGGAS, as he told us in *PAID IN FULL*.....thus Ra fit the criminal/thugged out/gansgta profile with official credibility more than Kris..... For KRS it was more of a conceptual gangsta image...a mental gangsta, if u will.

Rakim has remained CONSISTANT with his assurance of self-identity, whereas KRS is a CONSTANT CONTRADICTION....THIS has definitely playyed a huge role in RAKIM's being crowned G.O.A.T. over KRS ONE.
      From 1986-2006{that's right 20 years straight } Rakim was ALWAYS 007,Microphone Fiend, the GOD.

KRS ONE is the TEACHA & philosopher NO QUESTION,BUT THEN after awhile, he started a trend of contradictions:

he makes a record saying he's not an emcee{PART TIME SUCKA};then albums later, he makes a record titled THE EMCEE.
      first he says the Blackman is GOD....then he says the Blackman is NOT GOD because GOD is CONSCIOUSNESS...THEN HE DENOUNCES BEING BLACK in exchange for being HIPHOP?
      People get tired of inconsistencies after awhile.Honestly, I'm begining to think that KRS ONE uses his self-contradiction as a TRADEMARK to: a)REMAIN UNIQUE & b)continue to be the BOILING HOT topic of HIPHOP debate
      some people may just dismiss him as having a serious identity crisis.

Regardless of all'a that,KRS ONE does have the more dominant stageshow than Rakim{& damn near anybody else in HIPHOP} & more ALBUMS released than ANYBODY else in the genre & more STYLES than ANYBODY else in HIPHOP also, BUT RAKIM's POWER of INFLUENCE FAR OUTWEIGHS KRSONEs as far as EMCEEs are concerned.RAKIM has created so many scholars in devotion to the artistry of RHYMIN its ridiculous....EVERYBODY HAD TO ELEVATE THEIR WRITING SKILLZ once he dropped MY MELODY.Ask the MAJORITY of EMCEES THROUGHOUT THE WORLD WHO is the Greatest Of All Time, & I'm willing to bet a MILLION DOLLARS that 99.9% of them will mention RAKIM's name BEFORE KRS's.

As someone said earlier, KRS is WELL KNOWN for BATTLIN, so he'll say your name as he's roastin u which is all love, but RAKIM NEVER Had to mention anybody's name because that would be giving his opposition RECOGNITION,which he ain't tryin to give.For WHAT?
      Whenever he rhymes in FREESTYLE FORM{NOT that OFF THE DOME B.S. either}on a record, HE's TEARING ALL CHALLENGERS & HATERS A NEW ASSHOLE ANYWAY.
      That's how HE battles, & because of this technique, he has NEVER lost a battle YET....Thus being 20 year reigning HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD IS STILL UNDEFEATED....RAKIM ALLAH :GREATEST OF ALL TIME.PEACE.

SOUL2DA7THPOWER aka GODISBLACK3

KRS definately has kicked some knowledge but as you point out he also is on some ego type - complete confusion - mess at times too. But we all tryin to elevate so I understand stumbling at times.

But in terms of straight skillz Rakim is on another level. Always wanted him to kick more science in his lyrics ala Tradgedy Khadafi or Killa Priest but you just can't take anything away from his lyrical technique - always sharp, clear and precise.
      The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed.

Akyeame Kwame is offline Abibikasawura

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/0

Quote Originally Posted by rebelAfrika*AAPRP
      I know some people who put KRS-ONE over Rakim. I know some people who say Big Daddy Kane is the G.O.A.T. too. I used to say KRS myself, but lately, when it comes to lyricism, I've been leaning more towards Kool G. Rap. Underrated but HELLA vicious.
      i know back in the day i used to get sick over folk sleepin on G. Rap...conscious as the gum on the bottom of my shoe, but he had lyrics (i.e. brotha on a run among others)...if you want rage he gon make front page...i always thought he had the best verse in "Symphony" too...Uhuru...

AK
      Learn Twi, Yoruba and Wolof ||| Live Interactive Online

Abibitumi Kasa Afrikan Liberation Institute

Abibitumi Kasa Ning Network

GoodRain is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

It depends on how you grade them. As for as teaching and rap skills it goes to KRS. Aside from Rakim first album I dont think he taught much of anything. He didnt really on the first album but he did just introduce some stuff that was never said before on such a popular hip hop record. Along with his originality gave him props.
      I think Rakim is the most chosen because most hip hop fans are more on the ego rap tip than the teaching or both at the same time.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Both of them are G.O.A.T. type emcees. One of my favorite emcees also deserves to be on the list. T.I. is the man down souf.

Daisho is offline The Ghost Swordsman

B.K.N.Y. The Far East: Onyx Buddha Has Risen
      Thumbs Up/Down

Rakim Hands down,

If you check Ra's technique even on an literary level his approach to writing is vastly superior in its internal composition. People say Rakim doesn't "teach" or "drop knowledge" obviously they haven't listened to follow the leader and every album since. Ra delivers without preaching or contradiction...He is who he claims to be.

Ra also carries himself like a mans man and people can relate to it...someone said white people can relate to him more...Meanwhile they're still tryin' to decipher Lyrics of Fury...go figure.

It's comedy that they'd have college classes on someone like 2pac but not Ra...Ra has a style likened to Miles Davis or John Coltrane with Some Monk and Mingus in his think tank.

KRS is dope no one will contest that but for someone who is the defining change such as Ra, in M.C.n see NAS, AZ, CANIBUS etc. etc.

KRS will always been an all time favorite of mine but I wouldn't get ahead of myself as saying he's the greatest...infact Ra doesn't claim to be the greatest just one of the best that ever did it. KRS claims to be number 1,2,3,4 & 5...lol....but he's still #1...lol.
      In The Midst Of The Secret Wars...Deliberate, Strategize, Execute, Finalize, Clean Up What You`ve Carved Away, Reexamine The Conclusion & The Motivation, Master It, Record The Lessons & Move On!-Daisho*

Thumbs Up/Down

Tehuti-4

Quote Originally Posted by Tehuti-4
      But in terms of straight skillz Rakim is on another level. Always wanted him to kick more science in his lyrics ala Tradgedy Khadafi or Killa Priest but you just can't take anything away from his lyrical technique - always sharp, clear and precise.

THIS was WELL SAID, ORIGINAL Brethren,& you know what? U & I think on the same wavelength with this topic, because I've ALWAYS said to myself....RAKIM- WHY DON'T U GO DEEPER? U have the Knowledge of self to hit us in the cerebellum like that....WHY NOT TAKE IT THERE? I guess he's content with hearing himself through some of the deepest who were seriously influenced by him who DO take us traveling into cosmic depth,such as NAS,JERU da DAMAJA,GURU,COMMON,MOS DEF,TALIB KWELI,PHAROAH MONCH,O.C., & various others.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information