Nesayem is offline Afrika Is In You

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

See I told you about 106&park....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      AJ Calloway Blasts BET Music Videos
      Former BET Star Says He Left Show Over Vulgar Music

A.J. Calloway co-hosted BET's "106 & Park" for five years with Free, whose given name is Marie Wright. Both left the show in July.

ORANGEBURG, S.C. (April 1) - The former co-host of BET's popular 106 & Park video countdown show blasted this week what he called the destructive messages of many of the show's most popular music videos.

A.J. Calloway co-hosted the show for five years with Free, whose given name is Marie Wright. Both left the show in July.

"I couldn't watch my own show with my niece on my lap," Calloway told an audience Wednesday at South Carolina State University as part of the "Black Student Today" panel. The discussion focused on the impact of hip-hop music.

"Pick your five favorite songs," Calloway said. "Write down every word that's in your favorite songs. Read it back to yourself and think about what that has put into your head.

"Understand internally what you're taking into your soul and into your system. Really look at it. You might say it doesn't do anything, but I'm telling you it does."

Calloway has said that he left because he was only offered a brief extension at the end of his contract. But BET executive Stephen Hill said then that he was surprised Calloway decided to leave the popular show.

Calloway told the university audience he had vowed that after facing racism growing up in New Jersey he would "never do anything against my race."

"I felt like I was hurting us by doing what I was doing," he said.

He said the messages in some hip-hop music serve as a distraction to the challenges facing blacks.

"We're so lost in the music, we don't understand the reality of what's happening day-to-day in our lives," he said. "All those institutions that are out to bring down (blacks) don't have to work any more because we're doing it to ourselves. ... They're laughing at us."

Another panelist defended hip-hop music's messages.

"Most of the lyrics, if you listen to the poetry of hip-hop, is about taking a devastating situation and making it better, coming up out of poverty," said Ben Chavis, co-founder of the Hip-Hop Summit Action Network.

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

It's kind of late to be telling us how much he didn't like the show AFTER he left it.

He had the power to do THAT while he was still ON the show.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

WombanAuset is offline Sacred Militant Womb-Man

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 5/0

Quote Originally Posted by Raha
      It's kind of late to be telling us how much he didn't like the show AFTER he left it.

He had the power to do THAT while he was still ON the show.

Sometimes you don't see things while you're in it..when you step out it..then you see it for what it really was...it's happened to the best of us..Hopefully it wont be all talk with this fella...
      Ahoofe ntua ka, suban pa na hia- physical beauty does not count much, it is good character that counts.
      See a black man dead, from a white man's powder
      See a white man scared, from a black man's power~Timbaland

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by WombanAuset
      Sometimes you don't see things while you're in it..when you step out it..then you see it for what it really was...it's happened to the best of us..Hopefully it wont be all talk with this fella...
      I find that very hard to believe.

Him and Free saw the videos just like we did.

They knew what was being shown.

They had it in them to talk to the programmers at B.E.T. to come up with some sort of balance to the videos that were being shown.

They did not.

If they did and the possibility was there to get fired, then you know what? They should have walked then and there.

The paper is not that good when the integrity of our people is concerned.

No excuses.

Peace.

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A. is offline Universal Wisdom Seeker

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 6/0

We all know that BET is not "owned" by Africans so I don't feel AJ's comments at all. He is just in it for the money anyway. If he was really concerned he would start up his own tv program for Africans. He knows about the entertainment industry so why not start his own tv show himself.

Draptomania is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Greetings!

I used to 'footshuffle' myself , back in the day, and I grew Maybe that's what happened with this Brother...I hope so

~Insert profound statement here~

WombanAuset is offline Sacred Militant Womb-Man

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 5/0

Right..

Quote Originally Posted by Draptomania
      Greetings!

I used to 'footshuffle' myself , back in the day, and I grew Maybe that's what happened with this Brother...I hope so

Ahoofe ntua ka, suban pa na hia- physical beauty does not count much, it is good character that counts.
      See a black man dead, from a white man's powder
      See a white man scared, from a black man's power~Timbaland

AfroNinpo is offline Media Assassin!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A.
      We all know that BET is not "owned" by Africans so I don't feel AJ's comments at all. He is just in it for the money anyway. If he was really concerned he would start up his own tv program for Africans. He knows about the entertainment industry so why not start his own tv show himself.
      So, what are you trying to say? The brother can't learn from his mistakes and apologize for them? Are you saying that he is insincere? And do you have any idea how hard it is to get anyone to buy a conscious television series that is REALLY geared towards making change? I do. It's hard to sell anything that makes sense these days. Easier said than done.
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur
      The Greatest Revenge Is MASSIVE Success!

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by AfroNinpo
      So, what are you trying to say? The brother can't learn from his mistakes and apologize for them? Are you saying that he is insincere? And do you have any idea how hard it is to get anyone to buy a conscious television series that is REALLY geared towards making change? I do. It's hard to sell anything that makes sense these days. Easier said than done.
      That is true.

I'd just wish that he'd start some sort of campaign about getting better programming on BET. Talking to the people at the university is cool, but I just hope that something more grows out of this situation.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I find that very hard to believe.

Him and Free saw the videos just like we did.

They knew what was being shown.

They had it in them to talk to the programmers at B.E.T. to come up with some sort of balance to the videos that were being shown.

They did not.

If they did and the possibility was there to get fired, then you know what? They should have walked then and there.

The paper is not that good when the integrity of our people is concerned.

No excuses.

Peace.

Okay...so he didn't do anything. Now what? He ain't Afrikan no more? He can't be positive now? He's a Sambo forever? That 'more conscious than y'all' attitude is part of what keeps us from unifying. It seperates us even further into 'us' and 'them' categories. I hope you never make a mistake. I really do. Hind sight is usually 20x20.
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Ok. If we are to be more compassionate and understanding to our Brothers and Sisters in these "footshuffling" situations, why are we applying this across the board?

Shouldn't we be the same way to the Mike Joneses and the Lil' Jons of the music business?

Just a point that I think we all need to remember is that NO ONE is above critique. Let us not forget that criticism leads to progress.

Peace.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Ok. If we are to be more compassionate and understanding to our Brothers and Sisters in these "footshuffling" situations, why are we applying this across the board?

Shouldn't we be the same way to the Mike Joneses and the Lil' Jons of the music business?

Just a point that I think we all need to remember is that NO ONE is above critique. Let us not forget that criticism leads to progress.

Peace.
      If a brotha shows progress and speaks against what he was doing and attempts to turn it around, then is it not right to accept change? Mike Jones and Lil' Jon are still on that same old ignorant ish. They are not even in the same league. If we are not to reclaim our lost brothers and sisters, then what is the point of teaching the lost masses? Should we only be teaching our 'conscious' brothers and sisters? Do we ignore the lost? I'm all for holding our Sambo's accountable, but when they work for change, then what? What do you think the community would be like if our people felt that way about Detroit Red?
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur

Thread Information