Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0

Will Smith, Ludacris Help Launch African MTV Channel

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Smith, Ludacris Help Launch African MTV Channel

April 21, 2005, 10:40 AM ET

Diane Coetzer, Johannesburg
      The launch of MTV Networks 100th worldwide channel, MTV base, was celebrated with a concert in Johannesburg last night (April 20th), headlined by Will Smith and Ludacris. The show also featured a lineup of top-notch African talent, including South Africans Lebo Mathosa and Mandoza, as well as Nigeria's Seun Anikyulapo Kuti and Fela's Egypt 80 Band.

MTV Networks Africa general manager Alex Okosi told Billboard.com he was thrilled with the progress made by MTV Networks' first pan-African music channel since its launch on the DSTV platform in February.

"Tonight's event is a testament to what we want to do, which is to show Africa that we are serious about what we came here to do," Okosi stated. "As an African man I couldn't be more proud to be part of this process that gives Africa a platform by having our artists alongside international artists. Words can't describe how incredibly happy I am with how the process is going."

Staged at the Top Star Drive-In on the edge of Johannesburg's central district, MTV 100th Live! will be broadcast around the world on MTV channels beginning May 20. Other artists featured last night were Danny K, performing with Mandoza (the two recently picked up a MTN South African Music Award for their 2004 album, "Same Difference") and hip-hop group Skwatta Kamp.

The South African outing followed a smaller celebratory concert in the Nigerian city of Abuja, featuring Ludacris and 2 Face, whose video, "African Queen" was the first by an African artist to appear on MTV base.

"We chose South Africa and Nigeria because those two markets are of particular importance to us -- we want our viewers in these countries to experience what MTV base is all about and that's what these concerts give."

Smith, who is one of Nelson Mandela's 46664 HIV/AIDS awareness ambassadors, said he had met with the former President earlier this week and that he had been in tears when Mandela "put his hand on my shoulder and said, 'I'm getting old, Willy, I need you' [in the fight against HIV/AIDS] and of course I said, whatever you need.'"

During his set, which featured Jazzy Jeff on the turntables, Smith featured 10 drummers and 35 dancers, many South African. He proved a huge crowd pleaser by playing such hits as his new single, "Switch,” as well as "Men in Black" and "Gettin' Jiggy With It.”

Ludacris, who last week shot a music video in South Africa's Kwa-Zulu Natal province, brought Skwatta Kamp on stage to perform "Get Back,” and also joined the group for its current hit, “The Clap Song.”

"I've traveled all across the world in my job and visited a lot a different places, countries and continents,” Ludacris said. “And I can honestly say that here in South Africa is the only place that I don't feel homesick after a few days.”
      We are not citizens of amerikkka. We are victims of amerikkka.

G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A. is offline Universal Wisdom Seeker

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 6/0

Sounds good.

josteele is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Yea but...

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Student

The launch of MTV Networks 100th worldwide channel, MTV base, was celebrated with a concert in Johannesburg last night (April 20th), headlined by Will Smith and Ludacris. The show also featured a lineup of top-notch African talent, including South Africans Lebo Mathosa and Mandoza, as well as Nigeria's Seun Anikyulapo Kuti and Fela's Egypt 80 Band.

MTV Networks Africa general manager Alex Okosi told Billboard.com he was thrilled with the progress made by MTV Networks' first pan-African music channel since its launch on the DSTV platform in February.

"Tonight's event is a testament to what we want to do, which is to show Africa that we are serious about what we came here to do," Okosi stated. "As an African man I couldn't be more proud to be part of this process that gives Africa a platform by having our artists alongside international artists. Words can't describe how incredibly happy I am with how the process is going."

Staged at the Top Star Drive-In on the edge of Johannesburg's central district, MTV 100th Live! will be broadcast around the world on MTV channels beginning May 20. Other artists featured last night were Danny K, performing with Mandoza (the two recently picked up a MTN South African Music Award for their 2004 album, "Same Difference") and hip-hop group Skwatta Kamp.

The South African outing followed a smaller celebratory concert in the Nigerian city of Abuja, featuring Ludacris and 2 Face, whose video, "African Queen" was the first by an African artist to appear on MTV base.

"We chose South Africa and Nigeria because those two markets are of particular importance to us -- we want our viewers in these countries to experience what MTV base is all about and that's what these concerts give."

Smith, who is one of Nelson Mandela's 46664 HIV/AIDS awareness ambassadors, said he had met with the former President earlier this week and that he had been in tears when Mandela "put his hand on my shoulder and said, 'I'm getting old, Willy, I need you' [in the fight against HIV/AIDS] and of course I said, whatever you need.'"

During his set, which featured Jazzy Jeff on the turntables, Smith featured 10 drummers and 35 dancers, many South African. He proved a huge crowd pleaser by playing such hits as his new single, "Switch,” as well as "Men in Black" and "Gettin' Jiggy With It.”

Ludacris, who last week shot a music video in South Africa's Kwa-Zulu Natal province, brought Skwatta Kamp on stage to perform "Get Back,” and also joined the group for its current hit, “The Clap Song.”

"I've traveled all across the world in my job and visited a lot a different places, countries and continents,” Ludacris said. “And I can honestly say that here in South Africa is the only place that I don't feel homesick after a few days.”

it sounds good...but lets just think about it MTV is a white TV station BET is supposedly a Black TV station. Im wondering if Will Smith and Ludacris came to MTV to ask for help to launch this event, or if MTV asked (or paid) Will Smith and Ludacris to appear in order to help generate a Black Audience. If its a white company helping Black folks the help might come or might not but Ill bet there will be money generated into the pockets of the white folks who put it together, for they have no other reason for doing so.

Hopefully its not a scam...but in after thinking about the shows that MTV have started in the last year or so it seems like their just trying to find something that will work.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by josteele
      it sounds good...but lets just think about it MTV is a white TV station BET is supposedly a Black TV station. Im wondering if Will Smith and Ludacris came to MTV to ask for help to launch this event, or if MTV asked (or paid) Will Smith and Ludacris to appear in order to help generate a Black Audience. If its a white company helping Black folks the help might come or might not but Ill bet there will be money generated into the pockets of the white folks who put it together, for they have no other reason for doing so.

Hopefully its not a scam...but in after thinking about the shows that MTV have started in the last year or so it seems like their just trying to find something that will work.
      And that may very well be the case...

The only reason I posted this information is because some of our own people still tend to overlook Will's efforts within the Afrikan race and label him a sell out or a sambo. Will is a very conscious and intelligent brotha but the media doesn't publicize that side of him.

GoodRain is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

Everything MTV and the rest of them do is a scam is one way or other.
      I dont care how conscious Will Smith is. It doesnt matter to me since I dont see it. I just see him having fun with a African wife in a European costume suit that she wears 24/7. Or at least she wears it when shes on television. To see that all the time is no good for Will or her. If they keep that up he wont be conscious for long if he is. Thats the probability but anything is possible. The question should be asked if he is conscious enough to order MTV Africa and keep it on all day.

Thumbs Up/Down

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by GoodRain
      Everything MTV and the rest of them do is a scam is one way or other.
      I dont care how conscious Will Smith is. It doesnt matter to me since I dont see it. I just see him having fun with a African wife in a European costume suit that she wears 24/7. Or at least she wears it when shes on television. To see that all the time is no good for Will or her. If they keep that up he wont be conscious for long if he is. Thats the probability but anything is possible. The question should be asked if he is conscious enough to order MTV Africa and keep it on all day.
      Regardless of how the man and his wife dresses or acts, he is conscious and he shouldn't be discredited for what "you don't see" but he should be recognized for what he does! You are really missing the point brotha GoodRain. We are supposed to be uplifting Afrikans with good intentions toward Afrika/ns rising; not bashing them and putting them down at every opportunity. We gotta stop this. This is one reason we are "stuck", because we always find wrong in the positive things that our own people are doing for the good of our people.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Actor Will Smith is hoping to help reshape Africa's image to encourage more people to visit and help the troubled continent.

The "Hitch" star made his first trip to Africa when he was filming scenes for his 2001 movie Ali.

Smith immediately fell in love with the vast and diverse landscape and has since made numerous trips to the continent - and he'd like many others to start doing the same.

He says, "It is just so beautiful, and I feel like I have a perspective. (AIDS in Africa) is the greatest epidemic in the history of man, but I think that the public relations approach is wrong.

"I think if you show sick children and flies and all of that, I think that kinda turns people off. There's so many beautiful things."

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Well how do you know he is conscious? What have you or others learned from him?

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by GoodRain
      Once again brotha, you are missing the point. I will say this though, if you pay close enough attention to brotha Will, you CAN learn something from him.

My point was that he is conscious. You wanna go digging for something that isn't there, feel free to do so. I feel I have made my point very clearly.

Joey is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I, too, would like to know why you say Will Smith is conscious. I don't know much about his personal life, but I have not heard conscious lyrics or seen conscious films (Hitch?!?!?) with him in it. Please point us to the good sources.

I do get you on how we tend to tear brotha celebs appart or to look for the bad over the good. The thing is the bad is often detrimental.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Joey
      I, too, would like to know why you say Will Smith is conscious. I don't know much about his personal life, but I have not heard conscious lyrics or seen conscious films (Hitch?!?!?) with him in it. Please point us to the good sources.

I do get you on how we tend to tear brotha celebs appart or to look for the bad over the good. The thing is the bad is often detrimental.
      I have posted reports of brotha Will being involved in activities in South Africa, he's an AIDS activist/embassador for Nelson Mandela. That, to me, is enough to conclude that he is conscious. Forgive me if I may be reading too much into it but such actions scream conscious. His lyrics and/or filmworks may not reflect consciousness but his ACTIONS do. I will repeat it: his ACTIONS reflect consciousness.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Get your head out the television and media. Thats whats telling you what his actions are and you should know by now you cant trust that source.
      You darn right I tear down most of them especially in this case because Will and a ludacris is going around Africa with MTV and some people think they are conscious. Conscious of what? MTV is conscious, the illuminati is conscious in that they know your past more than most Blacks. That doesnt mean they want you to know.

3rdleft is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by GoodRain View Post
      How do you know he's not? Bruh, We can learn from everyone, even if its what not to do.

Jalili is offline Continuing the Fight

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdleft View Post
      How do you know he's not? Bruh, We can learn from everyone, even if its what not to do.
      That is true I'm just wondering about his scientology faith is he just promoting that as well as the channel or does he actually believe alien ghost make him feel upset. I don't 2nd guess any ones consciousness if he is I'm happy for the brother if he isn't I hope he gets there.
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...
      But we are young and Black, fearless and free...
      Every poem, every incandescent word is a personal revolution"
      Celeste "ayasha" Golden (my queen rest well and I'll see you when I get there.)
      http://awrittenlifeapoeticsoul.blogspot.com/
      http://justiseverything.blogspot.com/

josteele is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

????

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Student View Post

Who's winning in the long run? The Black folk in Africa, the Black folk in america for bringing it to Africa, or MTV (a white TV channel)?

Thread Information