Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow Rapper Beanie Sigel shot in apparent robbery

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Rapper Beanie Sigel shot in apparent robbery

By Julie Stoiber and Barbara Boyer
      INQUIRER STAFF WRITERS

Philadelphia rapper Beanie Sigel was shot this morning in an apparent robbery in the city.

He drove himself to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where his white Chevy Impala LT sat outside the main entrance all morning, roped off by police tape.

Sigel left the hospital about 11:40 a.m. with an entourage of about 10 and was driven away in a black Mercedes R350. He left the emergency room in a wheelchair, wearing a hospital gown, blue jeans and a hospital blanket over his head. There was a blood-stained towel on his right shoulder.

When his car was just about to head down 34th Street, Sigel lowered his right backseat window and proclaimed "I'm shot. I got shot. I'm cool."

Moments later when the car was stopped at a red light, Sigel said to reporters, "Do you want to see it?" and pulled his hospital gown aside and showed a bandage on his left shoulder. His left arm was in a sling and his left hand was bloody.

"This is basically our crime scene right here," said a detective at the hospital who is involved in the investigation. "He has cooperated, he's told us what happened."

Police spokeswoman Beth Skala said Sigel, 32, was held up by five males who boxed him in with two cars before he was shot sometime before 7 a.m.

Police were uncertain exactly where the crime took place. They were checking out the area of 22d and Sigel Streets where they said members of Sigel's family lived.

"We don't know if they knew who he was," detectives said the of the suspects.

"He was in a lot of pain but good spirits," said another detective.

There were what appeared to be bloodstains on the shoulder seat belt harness, driver's side interior door and drops of blood on the driver's side arm rest. The back seat was loaded with shopping bags and a flowered car seat.

The vehicle will be towed and processed later today.

This is not the first time Sigel, whose real name is Dwight Grant, has been in the news in recent years in connection with a number of violent incidents.

He served a year in prison and was released in August on a gun charge. He was acquitted of attempted murder the following month. He was also briefly jailed in November for failure to pay child support.

His three albums - The Truth in 2000, The Reason in 2001 and last year's The B. Coming - each hit the top five on the Billboard album chart. Many of his songs depict guns, drugs and violence. He also starred in the film State Property and its sequel.

Contact staff writer Barbara Boyer at 215-854-2641 or bboyer@phillynews.com.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/14665770.htm

© 2006 Philadelphia Inquirer and wire service sources.
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 0/0

Sigel is crazy! I had the opportunity to meet this brotha. Real down to earth. I actually sat on the front step of his mom's house with him and smoked a Dutch with him and my uncle (who grew up with Sigel).

Of corse these guys who robbed him knew who he was. I beleived they targeted him. It was a set up for sure.
      We are not citizens of amerikkka. We are victims of amerikkka.

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 18/0

Arrow Beanie Sigel: I was robbed, shot

Beanie Sigel: I was robbed, shot

By SIMONE WEICHSELBAUM, DANA DIFILIPPO & DAVID GAMBACORTA
      simone@phillynews.com 215-854-5324

This stickup s--- I got it mastered

Glove and ski mask it

Anybody move a lick gettin'

blasted.

- Beanie Sigel's song

"Mac and Brad"

BEANIE SIGEL comes off in his music as a seasoned trigger-happy gangsta.

Dwight Grant, the rapper's real name, apparently does not.

Sigel, 32, told detectives that he was stuck up and shot in the middle of his childhood neighborhood yesterday morning.

He told cops that four attackers had spilled out of two cars and ordered him to hand over $75,000 worth of spoils from the music industry - Jacob the Jeweler watch and a platinum chain complete with a record-shaped pendant - along with about $3,000 in cash, police sources said.

One robber then shot the rapper in the shoulder before the group sped off, leaving the bleeding Sigel alone somewhere near 22nd and McClellan streets, a block from Sigel Street, which inspired the performer's moniker.

At 7:02 a.m., police said they received word from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania that the local celebrity had been shot. Sigel told police he had driven himself to the emergency room, cops said.

His car, a white Chevy Impala, remained parked for hours in the valet lane of the hospital's 34th Street entrance, surrounded by yellow crime-scene tape and flanked by no-parking signs.

Dried blood was smeared inside the driver's-side door and blood specks peppered the armrest like confetti. A child's car seat and several shopping bags sat abandoned in the back seat.

Sigel was released about 11:40 a.m. Gone was the menacing scowl, baggy clothes, and happy-go-lucky gait for which the rapper is known.

Instead, the sullen Sigel sat in a wheelchair, wearing a spotted hospital gown with matching pants. A white towel shielded his face from the gawking media as he was pushed to a shiny black Mercedes R350.

He talked with reporters from the sedan's back seat.

"I'm alive. I got shot. I am cool."

Detectives spoke with the rapper several times throughout the day, questioning him over and over about the details of his drama, police said.

"He appears to be cooperating with police," said Capt. Joseph O'Brian, of South Detectives.

But police sources said investigators are still skeptical about Sigel's story. Residents in his old 'hood said they never heard the gunshots, and police sources said cops still haven't tracked down enough evidence to corroborate Sigel's account.

No witnesses have come forward.

Also, cops were unable to find any shell casings in the street where Sigel said he had been shot.

"I would have heard the shots even from down here," said Christine Thomas, 61, McClellan Street block captain.

Thomas said she watched Sigel grow from a boy playing basketball inside the McDaniel Elementary schoolyard, across from her home, to a famous entertainer.

She said other residents told her about the shooting.

"It is a disgrace for him to get shot in his own neighborhood," she said. "That just shows how bad it is around here."

Despite the skepticism over Sigel's story, police sources with knowledge of the investigation said this is what happened:

The rapper partied with friends inside the Z-Bar, on Spring Garden Street near Front, in Northern Liberties - walking around the club wearing his gaudy chain, watch and bracelet.

He left the club with at least one friend about 3:30 a.m. and spent more time hanging outside.

The two men climbed into Sigel's Impala and headed toward Buist Avenue to drop his pal home.

Sigel dropped off his friend and drove toward South Philadelphia, crossing the Passyunk Avenue Bridge and then turning underneath the crumbling, decaying 25th Street bridge.

Moments later, Sigel looked in his rearview mirror and noticed a car that he thought was following his, and he pulled over on Snyder Avenue to let the car pass. Sigel switched roles and started to trail the other car.

The vehicle then made a left on 22nd Street and another left on McClellan and stopped. Sigel followed.

Two men jumped out of the car, one clutching a handgun. Before hopping out of his Impala, Sigel had just enough time to take off his bracelet, but didn't remove his prized watch and the chain.

Sigel was shocked that anybody would rob a rap star.

"Know who I am?" Sigel asked.

"Yeah, you know what this is about," said one of the guys.

Then, a second car pulled up behind Sigel. Two more men got out, one with a gun.

They ordered Sigel to hand over his watch and chain, then the second car sped off. The two remaining robbers told Sigel to get down on the ground.

Sigel refused and dashed toward his Impala.

The gunman fired four shots, hitting the rapper once in the shoulder.

It was unclear yesterday why Sigel, who lives in Lansdale with his family, had been heading toward his old stomping ground.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/14671431.htm

© 2006 Philadelphia Daily News and wire service sources.
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Thread Information