Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Nesayem is offline Afrika Is In You

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Thumbs up Jay Z boycotts popular liquor

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Jay-Z Shelves Cristal At 40/40 Club, Urges Boycott
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Jay-Z Shelves Cristal At 40/40 Club, Urges Boycott
      (Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - AllHipHop.com)
      Written by Fawn Renee
      www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=5786

Industry rap giant Jay-Z has joined the ranks of those boycotting high end champagne company Cristal, in response to the negative comments made by Frederic Rouzaud, managing director of Louis Roderer Cristal.

In a special summer edition of The Economist magazine, Rouzaud commented on the Hip-Hop community's patronage of the champagne brand in an article titled "Bubbles and Bling."

Rouzaud stated that he observed the rap community's constant patronage of the pricey drink with "curiosity and serenity."

Rouzaud further stated that other brands like Dom Perignon and Krug "would be delighted to have their business."

Jay-Z has announced that he will no longer support or distribute Cristal champagne at his 40/40 sports bar/restaurant.

"It has come to my attention that the managing director of Cristal, Frederic Rouzaud views the 'Hip-Hop' culture as 'unwelcome attention,'" said Jay-Z. "I view his comments as racist and will no longer support any of his products through any of my various brands including The 40/40 Club nor in my personal life."

Jay-Z, Sean "Diddy" Combs, and several of the Hip-Hop industry's biggest stars have supported Cristal through patronage and homage in rap lyrics.

Jay-Z and his popular 40/40 Club will now be serving only Krug and Dom Perignon to their customers seeking high end champagne products.

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

No more Crystal for Jay-Z!!! Just Krug and Dom P!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by rebelAfrika*AAPRP
      No more Crystal for Jay-Z!!! Just Krug and Dom P!
      It was a set up!

I'm pretty sure that DP and Krug do not want the rappers on there liquor also, however the managing Director of Cristal was brilliant to deflect the rappers attention to there competition. I wouldn't be suprised if DP would step up and say something along these lines also.

PapaTallTree is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Why not take it a step futher and not sell any of those products. Make your own and Bring the money closer to "home"?

Thumbs Up/Down

I'm glad he is making that move, hope others follow.
      That's what they get for giving free advertisment to these places and giving life to material possessions. When will he wake up that this is not the only company who feels this way. Merecedes Benz maybe?

Is he still laid back, in his may-back, that hates blacks from way back?
      "I come with my heart bearing truth, and there are no lies in it..."

Thumbs Up/Down

This is a good step in a the right direction. At least he said the sense to say if they dont want his money/ business he can move on instead of supporting the people's pockets that have sterotypical images of us.

Rebel afrika- Yes I know your over there snickering. But, hopefully he can get the rest of our community to follow suit. Black people need to get these poisons out of their establishments bottomline. We have been conditioned to follow after these trends and we have this burning desire to be the Jones. Just a few examples.. I believe it was Chairman Omali that was speaking on how "white people have a car so I have to get it, they have a house on a hill I have to get it".So even if we see a white person sitting in a smoke filled bar eating animal flesh and drinking liquor we begin to believe that is acceptable. Even in the autobio. of Malcolm there is a section where the white family is at the dinner table and the husband says something to the effect of "negro's are living in proverty but drive some fancy cars". Following after what they see white people do. Ok Im about to give you an essay but you see what Im getting at.

New Dwaben Chief- I wouldnt be surprised if more higher end companies started holding press confrences like this. I was watching tv a few weeks back BET or something and saw Black people on this tv show being late for work and such to go to the Channel store and Versace. I say this to say remember when Black people went out to by Tommy Hillifger, Liz Claiborne( for women)and those damn Von Dutch tucker hats? Well all three of these people are openly racist people ( Von Dutch is dead I read that he was a racist) and got on Tv saying how they didnt want Us along with native peoples wearing their clothes. So maybe if more people hold these conferences we can better direct our money.

Papa Tall Tree- We should not be selling these products esp. to our own people. Dr.Afrika has told us many times that the compounds in these alcohols bond to the melanin in our skin and have very negative effects on us both physically and emotionally.Yes, we could make our own but that would kill be contributing to the problems that these drinks have posed in our community's. We have to much to worry about from police brutality to drug addiction we dont need to add the manufacturing of poisons to the list.

G.Black- Isnt it crazy how we are doing free advertising for every company under the sun. From Reebok to MayBach we are hyping everyone. Wasnt jay Z the same person that tried to move to the Hamptons and caused all that outrage. It is remarkable how someone would still want to do business with these people. They dont want you anywhere near where they live but you give them your money?! That's just foolish.

Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas.

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs up Big Ups!!!!

I'm glad Jay-Z took the initiative. He's the influence of the current hip-hop generation and that really was his duty to do that. This reminds me of that whole Tommy Hilfiger thing... Big ups to Jay-Z!
      We are not citizens of amerikkka. We are victims of amerikkka.

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Nesayem
      This is a good step in a the right direction. At least he said the sense to say if they dont want his money/ business he can move on instead of supporting the people's pockets that have sterotypical images of us.

Rebel afrika- Yes I know your over there snickering. But, hopefully he can get the rest of our community to follow suit. Black people need to get these poisons out of their establishments bottomline. We have been conditioned to follow after these trends and we have this burning desire to be the Jones. Just a few examples.. I believe it was Chairman Omali that was speaking on how "white people have a car so I have to get it, they have a house on a hill I have to get it".So even if we see a white person sitting in a smoke filled bar eating animal flesh and drinking liquor we begin to believe that is acceptable. Even in the autobio. of Malcolm there is a section where the white family is at the dinner table and the husband says something to the effect of "negro's are living in proverty but drive some fancy cars". Following after what they see white people do. Ok Im about to give you an essay but you see what Im getting at.
      Actually you are right, Nes. Your point is very logical...and looking at things from more than one angle, I see how I was wrong (I'm not above mistakes). On top of all that...your argument reminds me of my analysis on the beneficial qualities of Kanye West. People "snicker" at me about that one, but I stand by my position. Good Job Nes!!!

SpitfireLeo is offline Afrikanizing the Spirit

Thumbs Up/Down

Some great points made their Nesayem

I'm always bothered with the amount of promotion of yt products by some rap artist's and in some lyrics. Good job Jay-Z, now start boycotting all that other material stuff and other yt businesses that a lot of artist give their money too. We are conditioned to be slaves to an establishment and/or system that doesn't even like us as a people-but folks still want what yt have even if it's harmful-it's like the better we can mimic yt...the more value we have to them and ourselves. The miseducation continues....

:blackicon
      If you educate a man you educate an individual, if you educate a woman you educate a family (nation)-Ghanaian proverb

Where ignorance is bliss, it's best to be wise

Hands off Assata

Joey is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

These bottles is as much as $400 and more?!? Why the hell would anybody spend that money on a bottle of liquor? OMG!!!

Runawayslave is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

He finally speaks out about something and it's about......

cristal??

A drink he probably helped to influence an entire generation
      of young brothas and sistas to indulge in??

I think his feelings are just hurt because a material item that
      he SWORE by ("Cristal TIL I DIE"), outwardly rejects him. No
      matter HOW much "bling" he's got

Besides, he's not telling people not to drink it, just to boycott
      it. If they were to apologize, he'd tell people to go head and
      get yourself wasted on the crap

And if they don't apologize, we'll find another brand to rap
      to 15 years olds about
      Use tru lite 2 c rite thru
      all the things them devils do

Thumbs Up/Down

Cristal retracts their statement

Cristal Spokesperson Backpeddles on Dis to Hip Hop
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I guess Cristal's people are realizing that their record profits are due to the crazy over the top spending habits of the Hip Hop elite. Somebody must've pulled dudes coattail and said 'Look son, do you know how much money P-Diddy spends on Cristal everytime he does a video shoot?'

It sounds like Cristal is getting the message to not call these flamboyant artists 'dumb stupid niggers' when they have money to spend. Smile, be polite, get the money and then call them 'dumb stupid niggers' behind closed doors after the check clears..

Note to Hip Hop:-Drink water instead..It's free in most places and alot more healthy. It'll make your skin look good.

Louis Roederer Cristal Issues Statement Denying Claims Of Racism
      By Nolan Strong
      www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=5794

Louis Roederer Cristal has responded to a massive boycott over statements made about various rappers' patronage of the pricey drink.

In a special Summer 2006 article titled "Bubbles & Bling" in The Economist magazine, Rouzaud was quoted in an article stating that he viewed Hip-Hop's obsession with the brand with "curiosity and serenity."

Rouzaud also said "We can't forbid people from buying it. I'm sure Dom Perignon or Krug would be delighted to have their business."

The story caused massive backlash against Cristal, culminating in a boycott of the drink led by Jay-Z, who pulled the expensive drink from his popular 40/40 sports bar franchise.

"I view his comments as racist and will no longer support any of his products through any of my various brands including The 40/40 Club nor in my personal life," Jay-Z said in a statement issued on Wednesday (June 14).

"A house like Louis Roederer would not have existed since 1776 without being totally open and tolerant to all forms of culture and art, including the most recent musical and fashion styles which — like Hip-Hop — keep us in touch with modernity," Louis Roederer Cristal said in a statement to AllHipHop.com.

Cristal imports over 50,000 cases of the champagne annually.

BlakWolf is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

the message here is: money talks etc etc we all know whay Cristal is doin this...so the message here is that we can vote wit our check books and not have no liquor....drink some water or some fruit juice its betta for us
      http://www.geocities.com/igala1/

God Almighty’s Grand Unified Theorem (GAGUT)

in the face of intelligence, ignorance dies-KRS One

“Be composed, but don’t stand still.
      Be mobile, but don’t move,
      Don’t attack, strike.
      Hit your opponent on his first move.
      Move only to counter or attack.
      Don’t stand still, and yet don’t move.” Bruce Lee

http://bkfinternational.com/creed.htm

NubianSysta is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I was talking on another board about this very subject and in my opinion, boycotting liquor is not impressive. How about boycotting drinking all together, or boycotting liquor stores on every corner in the black community. Boycotting the bling bling mentality that having shiny RIMS and gold necklaces as something to brag about.

Not that im knockin because it is an effort, but the effort needs to go deeper, there is a lot more that needs to be done than just worrying about a liquor company. Liquor companies who ALL want to keep us mentally enslaved and intoxicated so we can't think for ourselves.

What needs to be done is hip hop artist in the mainstream allowing negative images of our people to circulate on MTV, BET etc. Brothers and Sisters degrading themselves.

Those are the issues I would like to see reflected in the issue of boycotting.

LOL, He'll boycott Crystal, but continue to get drunk from another liquor, wooooooooow
      HeruKhuti Clan / Rising Sekhert

haitianheromg is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

don't believe the HYPE ... jay-z doens't liek that liquor cuz of money ...period. IF THEy told him they would pay him more money to sponsor he would. He's just mad they treated him like a nigga.

he's too caught in the system, to go right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information