Forgot your password?

Notiq is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Thumbs up jill scott speaks out about videos that degrade blk women

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...ent&id=4336491

HOUSTON (AP), July 6, 2006 - The portrayal of black women in popular music and videos is too often degrading and the black community must find a way to change these images, singer Jill Scott says.
      "It is dirty, inappropriate, inadequate, unhealthy and polluted," Scott says. "We can demand more."

The 34-year-old singer spoke Monday before a panel that discussed the issue took the stage at the Essence Music Festival's empowerment seminars as part of the magazine's Take Back the Music campaign.

Scott told the audience that if they are offended by these images, they should stop buying the albums and encourage people in their lives to do the same.

"This is about choosing what we will allow in our lives," she said. "We can force things. We can change things. Challenge the music industry with your purchasing power."

Scott used an eloquent speech, interlaced with song, to illustrate that black women are more than their sexuality and that music should represent that.

"There are many stories to be told that aren't about our sexuality," she said.

5602 is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I'll take it a step further...

Even when Black Female Sexuality is shown, it's usually a perversion, distortion, or outright lie about the reality. Most of what we see in these videos is whites infantile beliefs about us as Black women!

Elisa Keisha is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

Jill Scott always in her place! Much props to her

Elisa Marvena Nyarai

SANKOFA Asociación Cultural
      www.myspace.com/sankofacultura
      http://sankofacultura.blogspot.com

BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Jill Scott speaks the truth....I love her music.
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empire—so strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

naturallyme is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

jill scott needs to have a heart to heart with lil kim. :-)

Isis is offline Mental~Marinade

5 miles past the on-ramp of destitution... on the Cul de Sac of Revolution
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

Thumbs up smh....

Quote Originally Posted by naturallyme
      jill scott needs to have a heart to heart with lil kim. :-)
      LOL......You ain't never lyin'
      Peace:

As the Afrikan mind is under , we must understand: the to our collective success lies in unity. We will never achieve this without , nor with our minds on

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 7/0

You know the sad part about this too many women complain about this yet continue to support entertainers who degrade them. What's worse the entertainment that degrades Afrikan women is not made for Us it's made for yurugus, Our support of these hollywood kneegrownes is meaningless whether we support it or not....

What's the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Notiq
      http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...ent&id=4336491

HOUSTON (AP), July 6, 2006 - The portrayal of black women in popular music and videos is too often degrading and the black community must find a way to change these images, singer Jill Scott says.
      "It is dirty, inappropriate, inadequate, unhealthy and polluted," Scott says. "We can demand more."

The 34-year-old singer spoke Monday before a panel that discussed the issue took the stage at the Essence Music Festival's empowerment seminars as part of the magazine's Take Back the Music campaign.

Scott told the audience that if they are offended by these images, they should stop buying the albums and encourage people in their lives to do the same.

"This is about choosing what we will allow in our lives," she said. "We can force things. We can change things. Challenge the music industry with your purchasing power."

Scott used an eloquent speech, interlaced with song, to illustrate that black women are more than their sexuality and that music should represent that.

"There are many stories to be told that aren't about our sexuality," she said.
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

MsLioness is offline Administrator

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by Im The Truth
      You know the sad part about this too many women complain about this yet continue to support entertainers who degrade them. What's worse the entertainment that degrades Afrikan women is not made for Us it's made for yurugus, Our support of these hollywood kneegrownes is meaningless whether we support it or not....

What's the solution?

"Challenge the music industry with your purchasing power[?]"-Jill Scott

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Our purchasing power is not so important to the hip hop industry. Despite the common perception Afrikans do not buy mainstream (what's on tv) rap CDz. We are not the ones who make people like Nelly go 6X platinum. The hip hop industry is ran and supported by suburban white teenagers..... europeans. I know this for a fact w/ or w/o the stats I know this is true. I live in a house w/ 4 folks and at one point 5 folks (communal living) and all of us are rap fans from back in the early 90s. All of us combined brought about 4 rap cds in about 4 or 5 years from the stores. And about 15 cds from the bootleggers. Also we are not the people who only listen to so-called conscious rap. Of all those purchases of rap cds I think 2 were mainstream artist. And now I think about it can't remember a time when I've or anybody I've known brought mainstream rap. The Afrikans who listen to rap are not buying the bs on the tv screen but you know who are yurugus.

Since we don't buy the rap music on the tv then how can our purchasing power be used. It can't, our purchasing power in the hip hop industry is like Our voting power in the u.s.a So.....

What is the solution?
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

-Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

MsLioness is offline Administrator

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by Im The Truth
      Our purchasing power is not so important to the hip hop industry. Despite the common perception Afrikans do not buy mainstream (what's on tv) rap CDz. We are not the ones who make people like Nelly go 6X platinum. The hip hop industry is ran and supported by suburban white teenagers..... europeans. I know this for a fact w/ or w/o the stats I know this is true. I live in a house w/ 4 folks and at one point 5 folks (communal living) and all of us are rap fans from back in the early 90s. All of us combined brought about 4 rap cds in about 4 or 5 years from the stores. And about 15 cds from the bootleggers. Also we are not the people who only listen to so-called conscious rap. Of all those purchases of rap cds I think 2 were mainstream artist. And now I think about it can't remember a time when I've or anybody I've known brought mainstream rap. The Afrikans who listen to rap are not buying the bs on the tv screen but you know who are yurugus.

Since we don't buy the rap music on the tv then how can our purchasing power be used. It can't, our purchasing power in the hip hop industry is like Our voting power in the u.s.a So.....
      yeah thats the truth...

Whats the solution?

naturallyme is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

what's the solution? my solution? create and aggressively generate counter images.

Sourakhata is offline Proud Son of West Afrika

Thumbs Up/Down

Jill Scott is a Queen and always acts like a Queen even if purchasing is not a power to me but rather a trap in which they put us in!

She's never disappointed me, yet... What she is denouncing is marketing scheme made up by Big Music industry corp... She herself feeds the beast when she sells records via her deal with the label Hidden Beach which is connected to the major Epic/SonyMusic!
      The very same major who doesn't hesitate to pimp and degrade us in videos through their so-called artists catalogue like Amerie, Beyonce, Jagged Edge, Big Punisher Ginuwine, Jermaine Dupri and many more !

One solution among others concerning our cultural creations is INDEPENDENCE, really gifted artists should run away from music majors and sign deals with labels with ethic or run their own label to be fully coherent with their words!

And no matter what game they play
      We got something they could never take away
      And it's the fire (fire), it's the fire (fire)
      That's burning down everything
      Feel that fire (fire), the fire (fire)
      No water could put out this fire (fire)

josteele is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I would like to point out that these women in these videos aint always gettin paid for doin'em. They Black women and for some reason they dont see it as degrading; so lil girlz be like 'ooh I wanna dance like that' not knowing how prostitute-like it iz and then grow up thinking somethin thats 'unappropiate' is cool. Its kinda hard to curb the the actions of these occurences as long as there are Black women who would willingly (at no cost in many cases) put themselves in that situation.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I think many times there is too much blame put on the rapper for their videos they are not the ones responible for making them nor are they tricking the freakazzhoes in to being half-naked in the videos for damn near free and free in a lot cases. We have to point to the root of the problem rather than attempt to cut leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by josteele
      I would like to point out that these women in these videos aint always gettin paid for doin'em. They Black women and for some reason they dont see it as degrading; so lil girlz be like 'ooh I wanna dance like that' not knowing how prostitute-like it iz and then grow up thinking somethin thats 'unappropiate' is cool. Its kinda hard to curb the the actions of these occurences as long as there are Black women who would willingly (at no cost in many cases) put themselves in that situation.
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

-Baba Orunmila

--Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

Baba Ahmed is offline Honorable Ancestor

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

At some point some damn day performers will get it to control their works from creative thought to final product. That'll take "co operative economics" to say the least.

As Jalal ud Deen of one group of the Last Poets said: "the producers are the pimps; performers are the ho's.

There's enuf blame to touch everybody in the industry and purchasers of the products, as well as parents/grandparents who allow the low level raps into their homes: CD, DVD or audio tapes. However imo Jill Scott has plenty room to speak out; she walks her talk in addition to being a wife, mother and supporter of schools from her own money. And of course the material she releases is opposite of what she speaks out against. More "entertainers" need to speak out.
      Free Dome Zone

http://www.oneblackearth.com
      http://oneblackearth.tripod.com
      ==========================

PayPal ready.

Thread Information