Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 16 to 29 of 29
    1. #16
      rebelAfrika's Avatar
      rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Location
      Conakry, Guinea
      Posts
      5,324
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      500

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by josteele View Post
      I for one am not against the usage of 'The N WORD' but I do commend this young rapper for trying to make a statment, even if it may cost him in record sales, the attempt says alot.

      I read a few of the replies to this bold attempt to alter some of the said wrongs in society and it makes me wonder: why arent we able to get along? (sarcasm!).

      How do you say 'Hater' in Swahili?
      Here it is again! You start off with a bad point...say a little good in the middle...and then end it all with a bad point. Weird.

    2. #17
      AfroNinpo's Avatar
      AfroNinpo is offline Media Assassin!

      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      ATLanta, GA
      Posts
      783
      Blog Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      166

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by josteele View Post
      We should Copyright the word 'Nigga' so that we could make money off of the devils and 'unconscious brothas' that use it. We all 'know' that sticks and stones can break our bones but words can ruin the way we Decide raise our children.
      If only we could STOP THE WHOLE WORLD FROM SAYING NIGGA we would be a much better people. Our problem isnt our total, complete, lack of understanding of what it is to be Living (as opposed to alive), our problem is quite clear...Its the english language. Dont we see we would've never been enslaved if we woulda never let them call us that dreadful name that needs to be done away with. It is a curse word with magical powers. Everyone knows if you call someone by that name they will mysteriously start to believe they are less than a person, gorilla-like in fact.
      As a matter of fact to add to my first idea I propose that we also start calling white people and other races who secretly Let our people kill ourselves 'Nigga' also. Look at it like this there are already white, hispanic, middle eastern, and asian people who in small groups already refer to themselves, friends, and family with that repugnant word. Were halfway there, all we need to do is to get them all to refer to themselves as nigga and they too we fall under the same spell as we have.

      Whadaya Say? Anybody Down?
      Reading this was like eating a great Philly Cheesesteak...on a moldy sub roll. The top and bottom of this makes NO SENSE, but the middle, you spoke some truth. We gotta figure this out, bruh.

      X the word Nigga. Period!
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur
      The Greatest Revenge Is MASSIVE Success!

    3. #18
      Raha's Avatar
      Raha is offline Be EASY.

      Join Date
      May 2005
      Location
      SW H-Town
      Posts
      2,031
      Blog Entries
      11
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      245

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackQueen View Post
      The difference between conscious rappers and materialistic rappers is that the conscious ones know about the struggle,while the other ones only know about money & degrading women.
      Oh ok! So it's ok for "conscious" rappers to use the word because they "know about the struggle" while the "other" ones don't get to use it because of their supposed lyrical content?

      Hmmm...

      Thanks for clearing that up for me.

      I'm not really sure how that's even relevant to the arguement, since we are talking about a word that MOST rappers ("conscious" or "materialistic") use.

      *shrugs shoulders*

      P.E.A.C.E.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

      Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

    4. #19
      rebelAfrika's Avatar
      rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Location
      Conakry, Guinea
      Posts
      5,324
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      500

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AfroNinpo View Post
      Reading this was like eating a great Philly Cheesesteak...on a moldy sub roll. The top and bottom of this makes NO SENSE, but the middle, you spoke some truth. We gotta figure this out, bruh.

      X the word Nigga. Period!
      Bruh...thats it! It's like a bad sandwich! LOL!!!

    5. #20
      BlackQueen's Avatar
      BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Baltimore,Maryland
      Posts
      1,603
      Blog Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      212

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Regardless of who uses or not,the N word will not be outlawed unless we do something about it! But,sadly,the word is a part of their "art",and the music wouldn't sound the same if the word was not in their lyrics. I listen to Dead Prez,and yes,they use the N word frequently,but only because they see our people in two ways,free,representin' RBG & those still enslaved by Amerikkka. The materialistic ones use it just to make their lyrics sound good.
      Quote Originally Posted by Raha View Post
      Oh ok! So it's ok for "conscious" rappers to use the word because they "know about the struggle" while the "other" ones don't get to use it because of their supposed lyrical content?

      Hmmm...

      Thanks for clearing that up for me.

      I'm not really sure how that's even relevant to the arguement, since we are talking about a word that MOST rappers ("conscious" or "materialistic") use.

      *shrugs shoulders*

      P.E.A.C.E.
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empireso strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

    6. #21
      Raha's Avatar
      Raha is offline Be EASY.

      Join Date
      May 2005
      Location
      SW H-Town
      Posts
      2,031
      Blog Entries
      11
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      245

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackQueen View Post
      Regardless of who uses or not,the N word will not be outlawed unless we do something about it! But,sadly,the word is a part of their "art",and the music wouldn't sound the same if the word was not in their lyrics. I listen to Dead Prez,and yes,they use the N word frequently,but only because they see our people in two ways,free,representin' RBG & those still enslaved by Amerikkka. The materialistic ones use it just to make their lyrics sound good.
      I strongly disagree. You are really trying to justify why one group of artists gets to use it and why another group doesn't.

      Since when does using the "n" word represent any kind of freedom (except, I guess, the freedom to use the word)?

      I have a strong feeling that Common, dead prez, mos def, etc. use the word for the same reason why Bun B, Pimp C, The Game, and others use it: BECAUSE THEY WANT TO.

      Plan and simple. There isn't some kind of deep meaning behind the reason why they use it. They feel like the word is theirs to use, so they use it.

      P.E.A.C.E.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

      Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

    7. #22
      Jalili's Avatar
      Jalili is offline Continuing the Fight

      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Under Constant Attack
      Posts
      3,326
      Blog Entries
      10
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      441

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Raha View Post
      I strongly disagree. You are really trying to justify why one group of artists gets to use it and why another group doesn't.

      Since when does using the "n" word represent any kind of freedom (except, I guess, the freedom to use the word)?

      I have a strong feeling that Common, dead prez, mos def, etc. use the word for the same reason why Bun B, Pimp C, The Game, and others use it: BECAUSE THEY WANT TO.

      Plan and simple. There isn't some kind of deep meaning behind the reason why they use it. They feel like the word is theirs to use, so they use it.

      P.E.A.C.E.

      I have to strongly agree..........During Iconclast with Dave Chap. and Maya Angleo Dave made a comment of a convo. he had with Mos in which he stated "We took a word and adopted it and almost made it beautiful" How it was made "almost beautiful" is beyond me but people don't use it because they are trying to send any messages but because their vocabulary doesn't have to many words to descride their people in anything other than what they call hood. Even though they may be very intelligent some people can't be reach unless you use harsh language and/or they just don't have any other words to call their own people that many people understand.........sadly.
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...
      But we are young and Black, fearless and free...
      Every poem, every incandescent word is a personal revolution"
      Celeste "ayasha" Golden (my queen rest well and I'll see you when I get there.)
      http://awrittenlifeapoeticsoul.blogspot.com/
      http://justiseverything.blogspot.com/

    8. #23
      josteele's Avatar
      josteele is offline Warrior

      Join Date
      Apr 2006
      Location
      In the dark seeking light
      Posts
      671
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      122

      Thanx!!!


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Im gracious for all humble opinions. Thought out or not!

    9. #24
      G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A.'s Avatar
      G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A. is offline Universal Wisdom Seeker

      Join Date
      Mar 2004
      Location
      The Afrikan Planet
      Posts
      2,430
      Blog Entries
      9
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 6/0
      Rep Power
      304

    10. #25
      josteele's Avatar
      josteele is offline Warrior

      Join Date
      Apr 2006
      Location
      In the dark seeking light
      Posts
      671
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      122

      As a matter of fact...


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      No only should we boycott the word 'Nigga' cuz it has caused us so much harm in the past. We should also boycott Cotton, Tobacco, Christianity, Guns, The Whole English Language, The Color White, Europe, and Straight Hair. Tho these things arent as crippling to our existence as the Word 'Nigga' they all have something to do with our enslavement. It's a conscious fact that we were perfect before white people came along and used their magical words to turn us into Blind Children who spend most of time Barking up the Wrong Tree or killing each other.
      It's also a clear conscious fact that if we successfully cut our ties with white people all of our troubles will be gone. We should only do things that Africans did. We need to reculture ourselves, we should build a giant wall and shut ourselves off from the rest of the world like China did...That did alot of Stuff for them.
      We should direct our attention to curing our neglect of using the proper English words our African ancestors approved of. Imagine how the first African must of felt when he first laid his eyes upon one of those sun-fearing europeans and all he heard was 'Negro...Negro...Negro..', which eventually turned into that totally debilitating word it almost hurts my fingers to type it. How did they survive when all they could hear was 'Nigger...Nigger...Nigger'. These nerve racking sounds must've been the source of the most discomfort one would have to endure when being a slave. Imagine being a subject under a wealthy king one day and being called a Negro the next, thats gotta hurt.
      Now we are even in a worse situation because tho we rarely found a way to get rich in america, some of the most unconscious brothas to ever step foot off the block, have found a way to get rich using their natural music talent and the only language they knew to tell stories about a lifestyle that wasnt heavenly, to say the least.
      We need to separate ourselves as far as possible from anything that has ever hurt our feelings and the white man invented it. We are like children and words are part of our biggest enemy. We need to go against the actions of our fore-fathers who died to try to get us to get to this point. We need to segregate ourselves so that we could magically go back to being perfect Africans.

    11. #26
      AfroNinpo's Avatar
      AfroNinpo is offline Media Assassin!

      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      ATLanta, GA
      Posts
      783
      Blog Entries
      1
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      166

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Raha View Post
      I strongly disagree. You are really trying to justify why one group of artists gets to use it and why another group doesn't.

      Since when does using the "n" word represent any kind of freedom (except, I guess, the freedom to use the word)?

      I have a strong feeling that Common, dead prez, mos def, etc. use the word for the same reason why Bun B, Pimp C, The Game, and others use it: BECAUSE THEY WANT TO.

      Plan and simple. There isn't some kind of deep meaning behind the reason why they use it. They feel like the word is theirs to use, so they use it.

      P.E.A.C.E.
      Ever since Pac tried to redefine NIGGA as Never Ignorant Getting Goals Accomplished, the 'conscious' rappers have been taking advantage of it. If you listen to M1's interview on Breakdown FM, he says that he's going to quit using the word all together since he realizes the true power behind it no matter who says it. This is important, because it will further separate 'conscious' rap music from the norm.

      I agree with you, bro. NOBODY...I MEAN NOBODY should refer to us as nigger or any variant of the spelling. No excuses!
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur
      The Greatest Revenge Is MASSIVE Success!

    12. #27
      josteele's Avatar
      josteele is offline Warrior

      Join Date
      Apr 2006
      Location
      In the dark seeking light
      Posts
      671
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      122

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Im curious to know. My belief is that the portuguese or whatever european people who first came upon the people in Africa (whom you agreed referred to themselves as Black) would obviously have to refer to the Africans as somthing other than themselves. The term they used (in my belief) is 'Negro' (or black). Since the word that we (I) use is nothing more than a knock-off from this original word. Then given the limitations of communication between the strangers (us & them). What should the europeans have called us when they first laid eyes upon us. The natural human instict is to try to make some sort of description of unknown things. We can argue that we were kings, queens, gods, equals, better-thans, or whatever else we could come up with. Lets just say they decided to call us gods and then still enslaved us! Then along the course of history we began to blend the word they called us with our on language and we began calling ourselves 'Godie' or something like that. Tho in the beginning we believed we were gods and even called ourselves that. Since they called us gods and enslaved us we want our children to believe that 'Godie' is a bad word. The real question is if 'Godie' is a bad word: Did they make it bad, or did we?


      With the logic we're using in reference to the word Nigga. I wonder if it will work with other problems that exist in society. Like 'Crack-Cocaine'. Maybe if we do away with the words 'Crack-Cocaine' people will no longer use crack, or if/when people use it instead of it having negative effects it'll start to have positive effects on useres. Dont you think that even tho we start changing the names of things the substances will still have the same characteristics as before, leading us to believe that the name we provided it served only as a description.

      Therefore, instead of attacking (or spend so much energy debating) the word nigga because of its 'negative descriptive attributes' we should be spending much more time attacking the 'negative characteristics' of the Nigga. Thus, saving us time from playing the 'name game' and also focusing on something that will have some sort of 'positive impact' if it were to succeed.

      Basically if we were to succeed in stopping anybody/everybody from saying Nigga then all they would do is replace this term with another 'descriptive term' say, Brother. If the 'descriptive term' Brother is used to describe a bunch of folks who kill each other for continentals and shiny objects what good is it then to focus on changing the name?

      Why dont we Make Nigga a 'positive descriptive term'. The Power is in Our Hands!

      One Luv!

    13. #28
      Moorish Rebel's Avatar
      Moorish Rebel is offline Nkrumah-Tureist

      Join Date
      Dec 2004
      Location
      Cali (Indigenous Peoples land)
      Posts
      1,015
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      195

      Wtf


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Jostele, if you don't mind being called nigga than fine, I just choose not to use the term nor be refer to it..thank you
      Forward to ONE Unified Liberated Africa

    14. #29
      josteele's Avatar
      josteele is offline Warrior

      Join Date
      Apr 2006
      Location
      In the dark seeking light
      Posts
      671
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      122

      ...


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Moorish Rebel View Post
      Jostele, if you don't mind being called nigga than fine, I just choose not to use the term nor be refer to it..thank you

      To each his/her own...In the name of Unity!

      One Luv!!!

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. The Last Word
      By TTDC Bot in forum Revolutionary Daily Thoughts
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 04-15-2013, 02:00 AM
    2. The N word
      By Kwamena in forum Open Forum
      Replies: 70
      Last Post: 12-29-2008, 01:22 PM
    3. Is The Word Nigger A Bad Word?
      By MShakur in forum Breaking Down and Understanding Our Enemies
      Replies: 36
      Last Post: 08-23-2008, 10:23 PM
    4. The N Word - Divided We Stand (2004) DVD and Essay, The Mighty N-Word
      By RBG Street Scholar in forum RBG Street Scholars Think Tank
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 05-07-2007, 05:26 PM
    5. Quick Word Count in MS Word
      By Jahness in forum P C Tech Advice & Technology
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 07-17-2005, 06:50 PM

    Thread Participants: 8

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  


    About

      Assata Shakur Speaks is an Forum Devoted To Assata Shakur And All Political Prisoners Around The World.
      Assata Shakur Speaks Is An Oasis Of Pan African Information Geared Towards The Liberation Of Afrikan People.

    Follow Us On

    Twitter Facebook youtube Flickr DavianArt Dribbble RSS Feed



    BACK TO TOP