Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/0
      Given: 0/0

10 Top Female MCs?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      1. Lauryn Hill
      2. Queen Latifah (Even if she is singing Christmas songs now. lol)
      3. MC Lyte
      4. Monie Love
      5. Missy Elliot
      6. Lady of Rage
      7. Foxy Brown
      8. Salt-N-Pepa (Even though later records were real weird)
      9. Eve (Who is taking longer than desired break from rap for TV)
      10. JJ Fad (some truly old school mc'ing. perhaps the female version of busy bee?)

shame but there are several very old school female rappers that i cant remember by name. there was one dark skinned sister that was the first mc to mix singing with rapping. she from NYC. she rocked the mid 80s hard. She had a T in her name. She rolled with some of the 1st female DJs too. She was just as popular as Salt N Pepa. hmmm. So many. Dont forget Isis from X-Clan!

anybody else remember more? I am talking 80s and very early 90s Female MCs??
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

Thumbs Up/Down

honorable mentions:

roxanne shante
      roxanne (remember the beef between these two?)
      bahamadia (came and went before she got started)
      rah digga (need more quantity to reward)
      da brat (just way too butch for over 30)
      lil kim (fell off in quality)

BLACKFIST is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Add Ons Includes

Lauryn Hill(Who in my opinion is 1 of the Greatest Lyricist ever male or female)
      Flo Brown
      Medusa
      Jean Grae
      Mystic
      Charli Baltimore

BLACKFIST
      Last edited by BLACKFIST; 12-26-2004 at 12:25 PM.

Storm is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Why missy elliot?
      THE REVOLUTION IS COMING.....i know you hear our footsteps

Thumbs Up/Down

Missy Elliot is actually a really good rapper. I think she isnt very conscious, but neither are 99% of the best male rappers. She is original. For those of us that are over 30 we remember when every rapper had their own rap delivery, style of dress, slang, even their own destinctive album art. anyone that got involved in rap after 1991 or so really has never had this experience. now "stylists" dress people, record execs actually require people to say certain words, rap magazine journalists (most of whom are white) determine something as silly as "street credibility" and record sales to white kids determine skill level.

with all that said, if nothing else Missy if very much her own person, she doesnt "cheat" on rhyming and sentence formation and her sound isnt something she borrowed from someone from her region of the country.

As for charli baltimore, i think she can rap but she is no where near one of the greatest MCs of this period. her sound is not disctinctive and her mold is used - she is one of several "fashion model thugs". she also hasnt released enough material to prove she on par with other contemporaries.

Runawayslave is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Never did like MC Lyte. Nothing personal, just never dug her raps or style. Out of Salt-n-Pepa, only Salt, Cheryl James, could flow. Pepa, Sandy Jenkins, was just along for the gimmick.

Lauryn spits fire....Everytime I listen to "Lost Ones", I scratch my head wondering why she wants to be a crooner.

The 80's?? Hmmmmmm, there was The REAL Roxanne, there was Sparky D, Dimples B, Sha Rock (Funky 4 Plus One More), Wee Papa Girls, Neneh Cherry, but somebody with a T in their name?? Could you be referring to Trouble MC??

You also had one named Sweet T, that could be her, but IMO, she wasn't all that nice......There was also KRS Ones cousin, Harmony

1. Lauryn (or should I say L Boogie?)
      2. Cheryl James
      3. Yo-Yo
      4. Heather B
      5. Cookie Crew
      6. Bahamadia
      Use tru lite 2 c rite thru
      all the things them devils do

Thumbs Up/Down

Sweet T! Dark-skinned right? Oh she could flow for her time. Heck back then Latifah and LL Cool J were among a HANDFUL of MCs (mind u i am using them as examples, not as bar setters although both are excellent rappers and Latifah makes my top ten of female and all-gender rappers lists) that actually rhymed every sentence and told only one story instead of muttering on about a million things. lol Sweet T. thats my girl. lol

anyway Nenah Cherry? she wasnt a rapper. she was crossover artist. thats like a white executive telling Scarey Spice to cut a R&B album (which happened)

Harmony was dope, but she doesnt have enough material to make my Top Ten List. but she could make my top 20 for content. I played for first record everyday for two years. at least one cut everyday for two years. so yeah, i dig her.

Runawayslave is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Actually, Neneh Cherry hit the scene as a rapper. I have her entire first album.....With the hit "Buffalo Stance"....All the hits on that albums were rap or what is not referred to as "spoken word" cuts. She later moved on (or tried) to singing. Another conversion I couldn't understand, because she had the rap game pretty much figured out, just like L Boogie
      Use tru lite 2 c rite thru
      all the things them devils do

Erzulie Danto is offline justice for Ayiti!!!

Thumbs Up/Down

what about LadyBug/Mecca from Digable Planets! she'd be my number one pick considering her brilliant flows on BlowoutComb. okay maybe number two post Lauryn.
      justice for Ayiti!!!

Thumbs Up/Down

Anybody remember.....

...I think her name was Isis, she was part of what I call the "black hip-hop renaissance" along with X-Clan...she was bad, even though because of the content of her lyrics she didnt get much play on BET or Yo! MTV Raps, too much knowledge for them knuckleheads I guess

Rebel Queen is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Loooove Lauryn Hill... and im feeling missy cause she's so versatile... but lauryn is on point!!!!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

Thumbs up oh yah no mention of... lol

warrior sistah souljah ladies i didnt see none of you mention the incredible sistahsouljah with her old album 360 degree of power" black people too scared to call themselves african" sistahsouljah

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

When Queen Latifah did "Princess of the Posse" is when I first liked a female emcee (for lyrical skills ). After that I liked M.C. Lyte for awhile. Male or Female...I like "dope" emcees...and it's just not that many female emcees getting any "shine" for me to have a "catalouge." Anyways...I can dig The Lady of Rage too, but my FAVORITE female emcee's are Lauryn (when she actually "raps"...but for the most part she is a singer....which is too bad, because if she stuck to "pure lyricism" she would be something else) and Sonya Blade (yeah...and she's JUST AS DEADLY ON THE MIC AS HER NAME MAKES HER APPEAR TO BE. Haven't heard from her in awhile though ).

BLACK* is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I dont feel like droppin a list..but I will drop my two cents...I think Lauryn Hill is the illest femcee of all time...her talent goes beyond flow and lyrics..she kicks real substinence..like i said just my two cents...peace

"OnE PrIsOnEr, oNe CoNtAcT...fReE eM AlL"

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by afrikanwarriorzumbi2020
      the coup is also another good group that did party music after they did the cover of their album with the world trade center being blown up rebel afrika and also steal this album is another good album you know!
      Yeah...The Coup is my favorite group (Public Enemy my ALL TIME favorite)...but this thread is about female emcees. If the brutha had asked "name your top 10 groups" THEEEEEEEEN you woulda heard me talking about The Coup. Oh...and just so you know...I LOVE Sistah Souljah. I mean...I love her SO MUCH, I want to put a BABY up in her! Her lyrics are HELLA conscious...but at the same time, they are very "rudimentary"...so thats why I aint listed her as one of my best female emcees. But you are right...Sistah Souljah at least deserves honorable mention.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information