Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

AfroNinpo is offline Media Assassin!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Hip Hop's True Origins? 80 Year Old Elder Tells All!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Hip Hop Headz...this will trip you out!

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/ne...er/other/35274
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur
      The Greatest Revenge Is MASSIVE Success!

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

WOW. That was a TRIP indeed! Maaaaaan, that video really changes my whole perception about hip-hop music and rapping.

I'm letting EVERYONE know about this video...that was WILD. Thanks for the heads-up!

P.E.A.C.E.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 7/0

What's the video say i can't see it.
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Skou Tour

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

Fenix is offline aFROdemic

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Basically he says that he created rap when he was younger and he had to go and fetch their cows from neighbors yards.

First rap lyrics ever: "You can run, you can hide, but it won’t last. I’m gonna catch up with you and I’m gonna beat your ass." Or something like that.

Then he recorded a record and sent it to big music markets. Now whenever he sees a successful rapper, he thinks "I created that."
      "Oh Africa! When shall be the term of thy long degradation? Behold here, even now, I pledge thee, O my Mother, that I shall devote my years to thee, shall work for thy redemption, shall love thee and be proud of thee and glory in thy power now lying dormant and shall strive to bring it to the light. Take my youth, my labors, my love, my all and do thou when I shall have died for thee, take me to thy bosom, an untamed, untamable African." -Hubert Harrison

Thumbs Up/Down

I saw this video but my opinion is different.

Hip Hop started when the first African that discovered the drum started mastering it.

Thats when r&b started, rap, jazz, gospel, blue grass and every other form of music we can think of.

Hip Hop has absolutley nothing to do with amerikkka.

We often have this notion that black people in amerikkka fell out of the sky and everything we learned here came from trial and error or "de grase ob de gud lawd" when we brought everything we hold dear now over here with us from Africa.

My 50 i mean 2 cents!!

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Kefentse_Bandele View Post
      I saw this video but my opinion is different.

Hip Hop started when the first African that discovered the drum started mastering it.

Thats when r&b started, rap, jazz, gospel, blue grass and every other form of music we can think of.

Hip Hop has absolutley nothing to do with amerikkka.

We often have this notion that black people in amerikkka fell out of the sky and everything we learned here came from trial and error or "de grase ob de gud lawd" when we brought everything we hold dear now over here with us from Africa.

My 50 i mean 2 cents!!
      Well, that's a given. No one is disputing or denying the fact that a lot of our music is based on music and traditions from Afrika. What I think that you are missing though is that if not for the conditions that came to Afrikans living throughout the Diaspora, then we wouldn't have, jazz, rapping (signifying, toasting, spoken word, etc. It's all Griot), hip-hop music, rock, blues, gospel, samba, salsa, reggae, flamenco, bossa nova, r&b, etc.

P.E.A.C.E.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

I would believe what the elder brother was saying...if it wasn't for the fact that his record came out SO CLOSE to the time that hip-hop originated.

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 7/0

How could "hip hop" start in the Bronx, NY in the 70s when H. Rap Brown, from Louisiana, was rapping since the 50s? Don't believe me, check out his autobiography Die Nigger Die. I hate hearing about the so-called orgin of rap cuz rap was around rap been around forever. Listen to James Brown you can't tell me he ain't rapping.
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Skou Tour

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

Sun Ship is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

Cool the term "rap", and more so "rappin'" is as old as the Griot...

I hear what the brother is saying and it probably would be just to include him in the history and chronology of so-called “rap music”. But as it has been said already, “rap” is based on a term that is as old as many other early last century Black terminologies. Like, H. Rap Brown; for “to rap”, was to speak on any subject fluently, spontaneously, poetically, and with great charisma. We used the term all the time, before it became the “term of choice” for the Hip Hop generation. “Stone Playas” knew how to “rap”, we loved Malcolm because he knew how to “rap” to the people. The Last Poets where poetic rappers; Rudy Ray Moore (or Dolomite) was a master “rapper” in a tradition that was already in place in the South. Telling a story, history, the joys of life, or complaining about your oppression over top of rhythms with spoken word, as it’s been said, is as old as the African Griot himself. You can find this throughout our history, and the African Caribbean. The African Cubans do it over the top of Rumbas.

The young are s-oooo disconnected from their history, and always feel they can revise their story out of mid-air, or listen to some “Johnny-come-lately” academic of the Hip Hop generation define what they are not truly connected to intrinsically. This same thing has happened to the Blues and Jazz, and most African diasporic music.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Ship View Post
      I hear what the brother is saying and it probably would be just to include him in the history and chronology of so-called “rap music”. But as it has been said already, “rap” is based on a term that is as old as many other early last century Black terminologies. Like, H. Rap Brown; for “to rap”, was to speak on any subject fluently, spontaneously, poetically, and with great charisma. We used the term all the time, before it became the “term of choice” for the Hip Hop generation. “Stone Playas” knew how to “rap”, we loved Malcolm because he knew how to “rap” to the people. The Last Poets where poetic rappers; Rudy Ray Moore (or Dolomite) was a master “rapper” in a tradition that was already in place in the South. Telling a story, history, the joys of life, or complaining about your oppression over top of rhythms with spoken word, as it’s been said, is as old as the African Griot himself. You can find this throughout our history, and the African Caribbean. The African Cubans do it over the top of Rumbas.

The young are s-oooo disconnected from their history, and always feel they can revise their story out of mid-air, or listen to some “Johnny-come-lately” academic of the Hip Hop generation define what they are not truly connected to intrinsically. This same thing has happened to the Blues and Jazz, and most African diasporic music.

Great post brutha Ship and Truth. As I stated earlier, all music started with the African drum. Even Carlos Santana (a mexican) has spoken power to this truth. There is no "creator" or "godfather" of hip hop or rap.

Check out a song by the last poets called "Jazzoetry". What about scatting? Count Basie? What about the so-called "Negro Spirituals" (i looked over jordan and what did i see, i saw a ban of angels comin after me) sounds like MCing 2 me but hey maybe im wrong...lol

Nothing is ever new, only rehashed or reinvented!!

G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A. is offline Universal Wisdom Seeker

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 6/0

The first man on earth was a HipHoppa. So therefore HipHop was on earth since the beginning of time.

Jalili is offline Continuing the Fight

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

Rap (Hip Hop) is merely spoken word to a rhythm (R-Rhyme A-And P-Poetry)
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...
      But we are young and Black, fearless and free...
      Every poem, every incandescent word is a personal revolution"
      Celeste "ayasha" Golden (my queen rest well and I'll see you when I get there.)
      http://awrittenlifeapoeticsoul.blogspot.com/
      http://justiseverything.blogspot.com/

Thread Information