Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 7/0

New Study Shows 77% of Rap Songs Reference Alcohol & Drugs

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Submitted by Str8hiphop.com on February 8, 2008 - 4:49am.

The study, published in the journal Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, did not draw conclusions about the music's effect on young listeners. But the researchers said there is evidence that exposure to certain media messages can increase substance use among adolescents.

Primack's team used charts in Billboard magazine, a trade publication covering the music business, to identify the most popular songs of 2005 based on sales and airplay.

They selected the 279 most popular songs from genres like country, pop, R&B, rap and rock, then sifted through their lyrics, counting references to drugs, alcohol and tobacco. Of those songs, 33 percent contained explicit references and 42 percent had some kind of substance abuse reference.

RAP FIRST, COUNTRY SECOND

Seventy-seven percent of rap songs tracked in the study contained such references, along with 36 percent of country songs, 20 percent of songs classified as "R&B/hip-hop," 14 percent of rock songs and 9 percent of pop songs. Alcohol and marijuana were the most common references found, with tobacco more rarely mentioned.

In "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off", country singer Joe Nichols sings: "She can handle any champagne brunch/A bridal shower with Bacardi punch/Jello shooters full of Smirnoff/But tequila makes her clothes fall off."

In "Stay Fly," rappers Three 6 Mafia say: "Breakin down the good weed, rollin' the blunt/Ghetto pimp tight girls say I'm the man ... Let's get high ... smoke us one."

"While we have not had the opportunity to thoroughly assess the study, it's important to note that music is generally a reflection of society," said Jonathan Lamy, a spokesman for the Recording Industry Association of America, the trade group for the U.S. recording business.

Lamy said recording companies place parental advisory logos on albums stating an album contains explicit content.

"Parents play an essential role as well -- the music that children listen to is an importance choice, and parents are the first and most important teacher," Lamy said by e-mail.

SOURCE: REUTERS
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0

Are we at all surprised by these findings? I'm surprised it's not a higher percentage.

Are they talking about mainstream rap or ALL rap?
      We are not citizens of amerikkka. We are victims of amerikkka.

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Im The Truth View Post
      Submitted by Str8hiphop.com on February 8, 2008 - 4:49am.

The study, published in the journal Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, did not draw conclusions about the music's effect on young listeners. But the researchers said there is evidence that exposure to certain media messages can increase substance use among adolescents.

Primack's team used charts in Billboard magazine, a trade publication covering the music business, to identify the most popular songs of 2005 based on sales and airplay.

They selected the 279 most popular songs from genres like country, pop, R&B, rap and rock, then sifted through their lyrics, counting references to drugs, alcohol and tobacco. Of those songs, 33 percent contained explicit references and 42 percent had some kind of substance abuse reference.

RAP FIRST, COUNTRY SECOND

Seventy-seven percent of rap songs tracked in the study contained such references, along with 36 percent of country songs, 20 percent of songs classified as "R&B/hip-hop," 14 percent of rock songs and 9 percent of pop songs. Alcohol and marijuana were the most common references found, with tobacco more rarely mentioned.

In "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off", country singer Joe Nichols sings: "She can handle any champagne brunch/A bridal shower with Bacardi punch/Jello shooters full of Smirnoff/But tequila makes her clothes fall off."

In "Stay Fly," rappers Three 6 Mafia say: "Breakin down the good weed, rollin' the blunt/Ghetto pimp tight girls say I'm the man ... Let's get high ... smoke us one."

"While we have not had the opportunity to thoroughly assess the study, it's important to note that music is generally a reflection of society," said Jonathan Lamy, a spokesman for the Recording Industry Association of America, the trade group for the U.S. recording business.

Lamy said recording companies place parental advisory logos on albums stating an album contains explicit content.

"Parents play an essential role as well -- the music that children listen to is an importance choice, and parents are the first and most important teacher," Lamy said by e-mail.

SOURCE: REUTERS
      These are really interesting statistics.

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 7/0

I did a speech on the word b*tch in rap music when I was in college. Everyone is the class was like gotdamn. I'm sure if these yts could catch the slang that number would be way higher.
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

tyydae is offline Intense

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by Im The Truth View Post
      14 percent of rock songs and 9 percent of pop songs.
      I do not believe this at all. I am certain the percentage is much greater.
      Peace!

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by tyydae View Post
      I do not believe this at all. I am certain the percentage is much greater.
      Oh I KNOW it's much greater. It doesn't take long to find a rock song that talks about alcohol and/or drugs. Lol

You know, I'm surprised that the category of "sex" was left out of this "analysis", since so many of "them" think that that's all "we" talk about in hip-hop.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

tyydae is offline Intense

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Raha View Post
      Oh I KNOW it's much greater. It doesn't take long to find a rock song that talks about alcohol and/or drugs. Lol

You know, I'm surprised that the category of "sex" was left out of this "analysis", since so many of "them" think that that's all "we" talk about in hip-hop.
      Well said, Raha. Someone printed this bold face lie. You articulated exactly what I was thinking. 14%....Never!

They left sex out for a reason.
      Peace!

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 18/0

Arrow

Greetings Everyone!

The people that are doing these studies want to blame someone for their white children being drugged out and drunk as a skunk all the time. It's the same story. They want you to believe rap is responsible for most of the evils in society.

When they do a study on rock music and the like they don't have to look for the reference in the lyrics, hell the artists is so stoned and high they look pickled. I mean if they are worried about media messages having negative effects on children, then they need to stop the oppression of Afrikans immediately, especially with all their stereotyping of us as a people everyday in all their forms of media. LAst I look Imus got his job back, no questions asked. Look how hard the Jena 6 had to struggle for their right to beat the shit out of that kkrackkka who had that noose. The media is the first place they can start to clean house.

They still oppressing us as we all sit here and discuss their study about how bad hip-hop is for children because of drugs and alcohol, give me a break.

Peace!
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Gothys is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

but i still love rap songs

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-01-2009, 03:44 AM

Thread Information