Forgot your password?

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow Aretha Franklin slams Beyonce Grammy intro

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Franklin slams Beyonce Grammy intro

When Aretha Franklin is unhappy, she does not mince words. On Tuesday, the longtime Queen of Soul slammed Beyonce Knowles' intro to Tina Turner at Sunday's Grammy Awards, in which Knowles called Turner, not Franklin, "the queen."

"I am not sure of whose toes I may have stepped on or whose ego I may have bruised between the Grammy writers and Beyonce," Franklin said in a statement issued by her publicist. "However, I dismissed it as a cheap shot for controversy."

E-mails to Knowles' publicist Yvette Noel-Schure and calls and e-mails to Recording Academy spokeswomen Jaime Sarachit and Barb Deghan were not immediately returned.

In the first few seconds of Knowles' intro to Turner's performance, she name-dropped Franklin and a long list of famed female singers. Then the "Crazy in Love" chanteuse focused on Turner.

"There is one legend who has the essence of all of those things: the glamour, the soul, the passion, the strength, the talent," said Knowles, strutting in hot pants. "Ladies and gentlemen. Stand on your feet and give it up for the queen."

At a party later that night, Knowles called Turner her "ultimate icon."

Still, Franklin ended her brief criticism on a gracious note, thanking the Grammys and the voting academy and saying, "love to Beyonce anyway."

Known for such hits as "Respect" and "Chain of Fools," Franklin tied with the Clark Sisters for best gospel performance trophy for her duet "Never Gonna Break My Faith" with Mary J. Blige.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080213/...retha_franklin

Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press.
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Majadi is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 0/0

I admit I don't usually watch these programs but as I am a fan of Tina (va va voom!) Turner (I like older women, my wife is 7 years my senior). I digress, I watched this and in horror my spirit jumped as I see the Queen as the one and only Aretha Franklin, I love Tina, but Aretha is the Queen of Soul, period!

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Majadi View Post
      I admit I don't usually watch these programs but as I am a fan of Tina (va va voom!) Turner (I like older women, my wife is 7 years my senior). I digress, I watched this and in horror my spirit jumped as I see the Queen as the one and only Aretha Franklin, I love Tina, but Aretha is the Queen of Soul, period!
      Greetings Majadi!

They are both Queens in their own right. I don't see why all the fuss has to be made. I think it is just a way to keep people at odds with each other. I didn't see the show, but I don't think that Beyonce may have meant it to say that Tina was better than Areatha. I think she admires them both. Tina may just be who Beyonce likes more because Tina is always so full of energy much like Beyonce herself. Just my two cents on the issue

Thanks Majadi for taking the time to share.

Peace!

If you fail to prepare,

nattyreb is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

Yeah, i think the Grammy people had Beyonce say that because the industry is always comparing her style to Tina's, i doubt that Beyonce was doing any more than reading from some cue cards.

i was disappointed in Sis. Aretha for what reads like an ego-fueled temper tantrum (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Jahness View Post
      Greetings Majadi!

They are both Queens in their own right. I don't see why all the fuss has to be made. I think it is just a way to keep people at odds with each other. I didn't see the show, but I don't think that Beyonce may have meant it to say that Tina was better than Areatha. I think she admires them both. Tina may just be Beyonce likes more because Tina is always so full of energy much like Beyonce herself. Just my two cents on the issue

Thanks Majadi for taking the time to share.

Peace!
      "We must continue to move forward and do everything we can to outlaw legal lynching in America. We must continue to stand together in unity and to demand a moratorium on all executions. You must stay strong. You must continue to hold your heads up, and to be there. We will prevail. Keep marching Black people. They are killing me tonight. They are murdering me tonight." -- Excerpts of Last Words of Bro. Shaka Sankofa, an innocent man executed by the state of Texas, 6/22/00. www.myspace.com/nattyreb7

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Greetings nattyreb!

I also felt a bit disappointed in Queen Areatha's temper tantrum, because she had to feel slighted in a situation such as this. I mean Areatha has been singing since "King Hatchet had a Hammer" ( since time began, my grandma's favorite saying) what does she expect to be the Queen forever. It's all about the ego and it seems like folks just can't bear to see others get a little recognition. People love Aretha and she should know this by now. She didn't just get on the scene like soldier boy last week, what is her problem.

Peace & Stay Blessed!

Quote Originally Posted by nattyreb View Post
      Yeah, i think the Grammy people had Beyonce say that because the industry is always comparing her style to Tina's, i doubt that Beyonce was doing any more than reading from some cue cards.

i was disappointed in Sis. Aretha for what reads like an ego-fueled temper tantrum (IMO).

If you fail to prepare,

Majadi is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

You know what after careful reconsideration of the matter, Jahness you are right they are both Queens, and as a matter of fact it very well may have been a brain slip on Beyonce's part, it may have also been a Grammy writer's error or purposeful thing. At any rate as they are Afrikan women they are more then Queens they are Goddesses! It is also my feeling that arguably for Beyonce this may be her personal "Queen", i.e., idol! Certainly she has similar performance styles to Tina Turner. Hell if I were a performer I would be a cross between Bob Marley, Gil Scott-Heron, and Prince, now what would that look like, Short, thin and dreadlocks! LMAO, No high heels though!

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Majadi View Post
      You know what after careful reconsideration of the matter, Jahness you are right they are both Queens, and as a matter of fact it very well may have been a brain slip on Beyonce's part, it may have also been a Grammy writer's error or purposeful thing. At any rate as they are Afrikan women they are more then Queens they are Goddesses! It is also my feeling that arguably for Beyonce this may be her personal "Queen", i.e., idol! Certainly she has similar performance styles to Tina Turner. Hell if I were a performer I would be a cross between Bob Marley, Gil Scott-Heron, and Prince, now what would that look like, Short, thin and dreadlocks! LMAO, No high heels though!
      Greetings Majadi!

You would be powerful bro. I can see it clearly now. But please no high heels....lol...hahahahaha
      You have me laughing over here so hard, just trying to envision the reality... but the heels is
      throwing me offf....LMAO too.

Stay Blessed warrior!

Peace!

If you fail to prepare,

Thread Information