Received: 3/0
      Given: 0/0

"Flavploitation" by Chuck D

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      January 28, 2005
      Flavploitation?
      by Chuck D
      (www.playahata.com)

Flavploitation is the systematic one-sidedness of the production companies that are chosen by these big corporate entities. There hasn't been any change in Flavor at all, he's always been the same crazy cat from day one. No offense to his friend Bridgitte, but his TV potential has been there long before that pairing. Vh-1's choosing of this show "Strange Love", is a smack in the face of all else Flavor has done.

The reality dragging of his personal life excesses and children is uncalled for. The meshing of his performance life with PE probably doesn't bode well with what the group stands for with its fam and followers. I hear that, but at the same time as the adults and gentlemen that we are, respect is gonna be there for ones personal space.

Choices are left up to the individual, and within reason anything said and done at this stage is pended upon this. P.E. is not a boys club. Years ago, with the Griff thing, there was a whole organizational dynamic that was a personal thing within the group that led to myself making decisions. From that point afterwards, I definitely spaced the situation out. But now with this situation I must at least comment because I see some trouble zones.

I stepped up to look at this as another test on the way things are. More than a few shows with Flavor were proposed with more of a stable upstanding profile, these ideas came from people of color with production companies. Those ideas were rejected with the premise that, Flav, didn't have what it took to star in a show by his damn self. Typical corp-whiteboy reaction as they actually thought it was Flav AND Bridgette that made that "Surreal Life" click. I'm bias, but on the real...Bridgette could've been anyone.

Now the trouble on this "Strange Love" show, (which they shot in a 10-14 day period, only to have myself to answer 6 months later about a re-run to some clueless tv soul about what they thought was current.) is that, there's a scene that I saw, of a short clip of Flav in conflict with 3 of his kids and ex back in the hometown. Lord, I hope not. This has been a topic in barbershops and hair salons across Black America, which, is twice as sad, because that and topics launched by BET,UPN,and urban radio are fed to black people. Bread and circus @#%$ that the masses of black folks flock to for news while world events, politics, and issues of community concern are catagorized as either too deep, boring, or non- black if such a stupid thing exists.

All of this was a test, as I spent the greater part of last year trying to get "Son Of A Bush" out of office on national tv and radio, while black folk asked what I was up to, they were being pied-pipered into white male-boarded- corporate owned-urban media. All that, and as expected, it was the "Surreal Life" that got their attention, like Fruit Loops compared to Wheaties.

Still, it doesn't bode well if Flav is yelling at his kids and his ex. Already, black women are mixed on what they see, next they'll be pissed off. Also, during the recent year-end PE old school show in Chicago during a break, Flav made commentary about he and Bridgette and graphically made some inappropriate statements about what they did in bed. It was totally jarring and disrespectful especially to the large majority of black women in the audience that expected a breath of relief from PE after a prior 50 minute b*tch barrage from Too Short.

Now here's the clicker, there were black women who had came there, in some cases with their sons, some single mothers who paved thru the struggle of raising them. Peeps will let the Bridgette thing perhaps slide, but not the wild statements and what seems like a disrespect conflict on camera with his children and their mother. Last week, it was that same part of his family who went on Wendy Williams' program and launched the worst on-air diatribe ever directed at a father by his children.

It is here that I have to intervene and say and do something about this. I have spent many years maintaining the integrity and demanding the respect for our people. This, to me has and will never be measured by mere record sales or concert gates. In my prior conversation about this with Flav, he's still enamored with platinum sales and packed stadiums, and thinks that his tv profile will 'bring PE back' to that material status. I remind him that traveling to 53 countries whenever he wants to play music, and being 'free' to make and produce recordings that are heard with respect across the world transcend that simple commercial status. In his own words: "Being blind to the fact", has crippled his understanding of what's at stake. We have never fallen off, ..you cannot fall off of a capsizing society. A lotta cats benefit off flowing with the avalanche , so it appears they are in the mainstream of a river heading south. It's the perfect storm, and like a captain I've been taught to hold the course.

This is where a short term sugar high causes long term cancer. PE was nearly derailed by a Jewish incident in 1989, and the media blew it up as being wrong without tallying black people. Now in this "Strange Love" case the rewards are derogatorily swung as bait while never coming close to the measuring of the feeling of black people and other minority. It seems that the powers that be, and in this case, specifically television,the film industry,radio, the print industry and the humans that hover over the buttons of control have isolated the dna of racism, wove it into the amerikkkan drug of celebrity to wind up exploiting our characteristic instead of our character.

These pied pipers have used high science with low tools and it's a trip for the people who've been led into the river. I know for pure fact that there are more Black women in America than Jews, Christian Right and quiet as kept, some are one in the same,so this should be revered and respected equally. I cannot tell Flavor, a grown man what to do in this case, other than to warn him to guard himself against the long term effects that may be on the horizon ....

Welcome to the first terrordome of 2005 ...as I mentioned earlier its a very hectic year regarding releases, touring, label, appearance, and activism..worldwide ..to keep this t- dome from being 20,000 words I'll save it for the next one at the top of Feb

Spoke to Charlie( first out the limo) Mack and PE will play during All Star Weekend in Denver..at this time we are close to an agreement on being a part of the Charlie Mack Hip Hop Legend Show Tour ..the tour would like to run in May ..3 weeks about 20 shows featuring Big Daddy Kane, MC Lyte, Doug E Fresh and Slick Rick and integrating other acts as well.

The show in Chicago was not a Mack signature but the crowd came out in full support. From my standpoint I screwed up by changing up the lineup and thats a taboo when doing a one-nighter which we usually dont do. Old-school show rules are simple, as in 1. Do your hits, 2. Keep it movin, 3. Keep new ideas down to 15% of your show...I personally violated those principles, and being that we always play last, we faced an older, tired, worked earlier in the day crowd as left gaps so Flav could say what he said...my badd ,usually the show moves so quick he doesn't have the breath left for such jarring statements.

College lectures got me in 2005 talking loud sayin something ...got Appalachain State in Boone NC for a MLK speech ..then my second return to Slippery Rock college in PA on Feb 7th...rap, race,reality and technology and how to cope with son of a bush 2

My upcoming keynote during MIDEM will actually be for MIDEMnet ..a separate entity regarding downloadable music and the new technology used to get it....

Getting close to hashing the details on my new "Bring The Noise Air America Show" on Sunday nights...it will try to be similar to PTI on ESPN a rapid fire show dealing with culture, society , and philosophy ..sundays between 11 and midnight.

Shut em down....i know of few teams that get that title..but the New England Patriots..need i say more?
      To read the rest of Chuck D's monthly message go here
      http://www.publicenemy.com/index.php?page=page3

TyreeA is offline Honorable Elder

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Watching that show is like watching an accident,,, you hate to see it and you may cover your eyes and groan a few times, but you can't seem to turn it off -until that 1 point where you find yourself asking out loud...

"WHY IS THIS MESS ON MY TELEVISION??!!??"

For me I think it was when he kissed her.. UGGGGG
      Know that I am,
      Yah Eternal Sistah

"The ends you serve that are selfish will take you no further than yourself; but the ends you serve that are for all, in common, will take you even into eternity."

- The Right Excellent Honorable Marcus Mosiah Garvey

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by TyreeA
      Watching that show is like watching an accident,,, you hate to see it and you may cover your eyes and groan a few times, but you can't seem to turn it off -until that 1 point where you find yourself asking out loud...

"WHY IS THIS MESS ON MY TELEVISION??!!??"

For me I think it was when he kissed her.. UGGGGG
      That analogy is PERFECT!

TyreeA is offline Honorable Elder

Thumbs Up/Down

OK?? and I thought I was the only one watching!! LOL

I caught it one day and was like - HUH? and in a matter of moments it went from bad to worse, with Flav being moon eyed over this old wrinkley amazon! I mean moon eyed,,, My GOD!! There it was, madness in living color. Flav? bugging, nooo say it ain't so!

I remember thinking DROP SQUAD where are yah when a sistah needs yah...

* maybe this is why my weapon of choice is duct tape*
      Know that I am,
      Yah Eternal Sistah

"The ends you serve that are selfish will take you no further than yourself; but the ends you serve that are for all, in common, will take you even into eternity."

- The Right Excellent Honorable Marcus Mosiah Garvey

nattyreb is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

More on Flav aka Fuffy-Fuffy

From www.daveyd.com

'Strange' tale of Flavor Flav Rapper's cred takes hit
      By Renée Graham, Globe Staff | January 25, 2005
      www.boston.com/ae/tv/arti...takes_hit/

As a member of Public Enemy, Flavor Flav was part hype-man, part flesh-and-blood cartoon character, yet he was far more than his spastic dance moves, oversize sunglasses, and mouthful of gold teeth.

More than a mere fool, he was hip-hop's Fool in a grand Shakespearean fashion. His comic relief played off rapper Chuck D's agitprop lyrics and the Bomb Squad's angry wall of sound production, and befitting a man whose signature accessory was a dinner-plate sized clock dangling from his scrawny neck, Flav always knew what time it was.

Like the Fool in Shakespeare's ''King Lear," Flav knew more than he showed, and he was no less politically minded than Chuck D. His purposeful simplicity allowed him to deliver bitter truths whether he was dismissing such icons as Elvis Presley and John Wayne in ''Fight the Power," or denouncing police negligence is ''911 Is a Joke."

Now, sadly, it's Flavor Flav who's the joke, a reality-TV clown.

Every Sunday night, there he is on VH1's ''Strange Love," a spinoff of sorts from last season's installment of ''The Surreal Life," where washed-up celebrities try to revive their faded fame by letting cameras film them as they live together in a rented mansion.

On that show, he began what was supposed to be a relationship with Brigitte Nielsen, who, far removed from the icy beauty of her ''Beverly Hills Cop 2" days, now resembles the world's worst drag queen. These days, the two are featured on ''Strange Love," with Flav pursuing Nielsen to Milan, where she lives with her bewildered boy-toy fiance.

Promoted as a reunion of the ''ghetto-flash and Euro-trash duo," there's nothing believable about this relationship, but one could also make the same claim about nearly every reality-TV program. Yet what really makes this half-hour show so troubling (other than several shots of a makeup-free Nielsen first thing in the morning) is how Flav is portrayed -- or, more accurately, how he portrays himself.

He's loud, off-putting, and inappropriate. Presumably with Flav's blessing, the show presents him as the ultimate fish out of water, a middle-age homeboy traipsing through Italy, steamrolling customs, and acting a fool before frightened onlookers.

Making matters worse is Nielsen's pet name for Flav. Though she says she prefers the quieter William Drayton (his real name) to the more flamboyant Flavor Flav, she doesn't call him that. She calls him ''Fuffy Fuffy," pronounced ''foo-fy foo-fy," further infantilizing him. If her idea is to encourage the adult William, why call him a name better suited for a poodle?

Then again, that's Nielsen's thing -- making herself look better by presenting Flav in as ridiculous and unflattering a light as possible. On this week's episode, she takes Flav to a fancy dinner in Lake Como with her snooty friends. Naturally, they're disgusted by Flav, done up in a white, black-pinstripe suit and two-tone shoes more appropriate for a pimp convention. Through a translator, a woman asked the fidgety Flav his age. When he says he's 44, and she rolls her eyes, saying he acts like a 13-year-old. The translator tells Flav the woman said he looked 13, which Flav takes as a compliment. Speaking in Italian, the woman and the translator then laugh at Flav for being so dim he would receive her insult as praise.

At one point, Nielsen leaned over to Flav and whispered, ''These people are not used to a black man at their table, can you tell?" This is the point where viewers are supposed to feel superior to these bigoted foreigners, but, of course, the joke is never really on them. We're supposed to find Flav just as unsettling.

Designed to laugh at Flav, and never with him, the show offers him as a modern-day minstrel resurrecting all those ancient fears -- abroad and at home -- about slow-witted, socially inept black men.

In Public Enemy, Flav was an integral part of rap's most important and influential group. Yet for those most familiar with Public Enemy, seeing him on ''Strange Love," is a sorrowful experience. No longer at the hip-hop's heights -- P.E. hasn't released a consistent album since 1991's ''Apocalypse 91 . . . The Enemy Strikes Back"-- Flav is now settling for rancid brand of cheesy celebrity that will melt away faster than the snow piled up in New England driveways.

First with ''The Surreal Life," and now ''Strange Love," Flavor Flav has mortgaged the light of his reputation for the capricious heat of reality-TV stardom. Where he began as a Fool who spoke the truth, Flav is now just a fool who's only clowning himself.

Renée Graham's Life in the Pop Lane column runs Tuesdays. She can be reached at graham@globe.com

Runawayslave is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by TyreeA
      I remember thinking DROP SQUAD where are yah when a sistah needs yah...

Only a matter of time before he gets "dropped"...But you gotta remember, when that drug got a hold of a person's mind, it takes a nation of millions to get them off that drug
      Use tru lite 2 c rite thru
      all the things them devils do

Runawayslave is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by nattyreb
      No longer at the hip-hop's heights -- P.E. hasn't released a consistent album since 1991's ''Apocalypse 91 . . . The Enemy Strikes Back"--

Renée Graham's Life in the Pop Lane column runs Tuesdays. She can be reached at graham@globe.com

This part is bullshit. I got several PE albums, from 1992-today and there are some tight albums there....whether the author knows it or not....

Say what you want about Flav....but the 1994 and 2001 PE albums are classics
      Use tru lite 2 c rite thru
      all the things them devils do

Thread Information