Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

zhao is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Blackicon Music NGOMA / afro-futurist boom boom

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      hello everyone. what drew me to this forum was a search about Martin Bernal and various other topics concerning anthropology and ancient African history and Egypt, etc... downloaded some documentary films about the Dogon and other extremely interesting subjects, and decided to register today. have only started clicking around.

but before i get into other threads i would like to drop some of my dj work here, as i think they may be of interested to board members, and there is also the possibility of connecting with like minded / eared people. (if you know any djs or MCs or artists in or around Berlin in a similar vein, we are looking for other talents to do shows with)

The positive side of globalization -- irresistable 21st century urban music arise on every continent. Tanzania, India, Cuba, Egypt, South Africa, these are just a few places where wild hybrid styles are born: bass heavy and electronic, yet drawing from the wealth of local musical heritage. the NGOMA series bring the heat from musical hotspots across the known world -- the wickedest beats and sweetest flows.

DIRECT LISTEN AND SINGLE TRACK DOWNLOAD: GotDarker

SEPARATE TRACKS DOWNLOAD: RapidShare or MEGAUPLOAD

it is said that the drum itself was invented in Africa. and as far as i'm concerned, all modern pop and especially dance music have deep roots in the musical traditions of that continent. i have made the admittedly sensationalist proclamation "techno comes from Africa", and here is an extremely simplified version of my concept of this lineage: slave songs - blues - gospel - jazz - funk - disco - house - techno ---- the circle is complete. some may have problems with this generalization (and in some ways i do too), but all sidelines, exceptions, and details aside, essentially it makes sense to me. after all, the 4 on the floor hypnotic groove can be found in the myriad styles of African music from every era, be it high-life, rumba, or the thousands upon thousands of much older regional traditions.

most people were, and still are, confused, skeptical, or straight up dismissive when i talk about this, but history was made in 2008 with Warp Records' release of DJ Mujava's Township Funk, which i believe is only the beginning of Europeans coming to grips with the awesome power of African Techno.

i have been playing Euro-centric Minimal, Tech House, Breaks, Electro, etc., for years, but in recent times have increasingly sensed a solipsism, stagnation, and bankrupsy. in 2009 i feel the style loosely termed "UK Funky" is leading the way out of the rut; and it is no coincidence that the most exciting thing happening in European dance music is directly derivative of African and Afro-Caribbean rhythmic structures.

DIRECT LISTEN AND SINGLE FILE DOWNLOAD: GotDarker

SEPARATE TRACKS DOWNLOAD: RapidShare or MEGAUPLOAD

the original plan was for 3 to be dub grime apocalypse, and 4 an uplifting and soulful holiday in the tropics. but due to both the popularity of 2, and the challenge from dj Doom, I've decided to continue with the afro-centric 4/4 boom for this volume.

while staying in the same territory as 2, the journey is not the same, and many things make this one unique: the psychedelic motorik genius of Dj Clock's "Durban Guitar"; the monolithic, earth shaking visions of Black Coffee; DJ Sdoko's ominous Kraftwerkian phuture; Manya's soul stirring take on traditonal Angolan melodies; a surprisingly wicked banger from the Dutch DJ Bigga (UK is not the only place currently Afro minded), and ending with Sami vocal style from Mari Boine, reinterpreting the sound of indigenous Norway*. most of the selection are not well known or commonly used tracks in the "scene", with only one exception: just could not stay away from the Yellowtail (but check how it is used before you complain).

concerning the anti-apartheid and war samples used through out the mix: the struggle for freedom from colonialism is the context which gave rise to contemporary South African music: Kwaito was born amidst antagonism and bloodshed, and has led to the current house music scene. thus songs such as "100 Zulu Warriors" and the radio broadcast at the end should not be taken as an incitement of racial conflict (especially in light of last year's wave of horrible xenophobia) but as a reminder of the political realities of the Apartheid era from which this music comes.

*you might think it strange to include a traditional song from northern Europe on an Afrocentric project, but 1. thematically it fits the recording as the vocalist has for decades fought for equal rights of her people, who have long been the subject of discrimination, like South Africans, in their homeland; and 2. Henrich Schwartz who made the remix is a producer certainly with a lot of Africa on his mind.

as you enjoy this i will be back onto the original course: stay tuned for dub terrorism and caribbean love.

SEPARATE TRACKS DOWNLOAD: rapidshare or megaupload

dj zhao - international sound

Jalili is offline Continuing the Fight

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

I'll take a listen to this, while your here familiarize yourself with the forum and see what we are trying to do here as well.

Asanta Sana for sharing.
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...
      But we are young and Black, fearless and free...
      Every poem, every incandescent word is a personal revolution"
      Celeste "ayasha" Golden (my queen rest well and I'll see you when I get there.)
      http://awrittenlifeapoeticsoul.blogspot.com/
      http://justiseverything.blogspot.com/

zhao is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by Jalili View Post
      I'll take a listen to this, while your here familiarize yourself with the forum and see what we are trying to do here as well.

Asanta Sana for sharing.
      of course. i am deeply interested in and sympathize with many topics of discussion that i see here. from the historical truths that euro-centric revisionist versions of history attempts to cover up to what is happening in places like the Congo. have no intention of only being a spammer...

as a person of Chinese origins, i am only too aware of the vile racism of my culture, and the current Chinese involvement in Africa, both good and bad. and as a musician / dj, i feel that i am raising awareness about, and giving support to african artists, as opposed to exploitation...

Jalili is offline Continuing the Fight

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
      of course. i am deeply interested in and sympathize with many topics of discussion that i see here. from the historical truths that euro-centric revisionist versions of history attempts to cover up to what is happening in places like the Congo. have no intention of only being a spammer...

as a person of Chinese origins, i am only too aware of the vile racism of my culture, and the current Chinese involvement in Africa, both good and bad. and as a musician / dj, i feel that i am raising awareness about, and giving support to african artists, as opposed to exploitation...
      Well I took a listen and I can say I dig the music.

Now we here and our people in Afrika and many other colonized countries through out the word don't need and aren't looking for sympathy be REAL change and REAL control of our lands. I'm sure we all understand that if a people aren't in control of their own lands and way of life how can any one be considered free.

I hope as you further search for music and reach out to others in the Afro-beat world you will discover your own purpose in the drive for freedom of all peoples.

Move one move them all.....peace
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...
      But we are young and Black, fearless and free...
      Every poem, every incandescent word is a personal revolution"
      Celeste "ayasha" Golden (my queen rest well and I'll see you when I get there.)
      http://awrittenlifeapoeticsoul.blogspot.com/
      http://justiseverything.blogspot.com/

Thread Information