Given: 18/0

Arrow The rapper who has yet to get his due

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      The rapper who could have a bottom line has yet to get his
      due: Eazy-E made it look too Eazy

[LA Times]
      POP MUSIC

He made it look too Eazy

The artist who proved rap could have a bottom line has yet to get his due.

By Soren Baker
      Special to The Times

March 27, 2005

At virtually any rap concert, you're almost certain to hear the names
      of two rappers lionized: Tupac Shakur and the Notorious B.I.G., two of
      rap's most significant artists. But there's another long-departed rap figure
      who was even more important: Eazy-E.

He hasn't received half the attention given to Tupac and Biggie in the
      years since they died, but by some important measures, Eazy-E had an
      even greater impact on rap.

Not only did his life provide the raw material used by his cohorts in
      N.W.A — Dr. Dre and Ice Cube — to create West Coast gangster rap, but
      the Compton drug-dealer-turned-rapper almost single-handedly created the
      model for the rapper as businessman, a model still in place long after
      his AIDS-related death — a decade ago this weekend.

With his self-financed Ruthless Records, Eazy-E (born Eric Wright) was
      the first rapper to own a nationally successful record company.

"What Rosa Parks did for the civil rights movement, Eazy-E did for
      hip-hop," says Phyllis Pollack, a publicist who represented Eazy-E.
      "Right now everybody claims to have a label, but Eric was the first
      hip-hop artist to really make this work on the level he did."

Another Compton rapper, the Game, has given Eazy-E renewed respect by
      citing him and N.W.A as key inspirations. The Game released mix-tape
      material of Eazy-E rhyming with him before the January release of "The
      Documentary," his debut album that's sold more than 1.6 million copies.

Two decades ago, major record companies essentially ignored rap, turned
      off by its street imagery and unconvinced of its commercial potential.
      At a time when no rap artist from the West Coast had made a national
      impact, Ruthless signed a production deal with the larger Priority Records for
      albums from Eazy-E and N.W.A.

And in 1988, Ruthless/Priority released Eazy-E's "Eazy-Duz-It" and
      N.W.A's "Straight Outta Compton," landmark albums brimming with
      violence, profanity, sexually explicit content and antigovernment themes. These albums established Eazy-E, from the then-little-known suburb of
      Compton, as a major player in the rap industry.

"Eazy-Duz-It" sold more than 2 million copies and "Straight Outta
      Compton" earned a spot on Rolling Stone's 2003 list of the "500
      Greatest Albums of All Time." Without industry clout, Wright took the
      revolutionary step of retaining ownership and control of his music,
      something almost taken for granted by rappers today.

"If it wasn't for Eazy-E, there probably wouldn't have been any Master
      Ps or Roc-A-Fellas," the company cofounded by Jay-Z, says Layzie Bone, of
      the Grammy-winning rap group Bone thugs-n-harmony, which was signed to
      Ruthless and now has its own Mo Thugs label.

Jerry Heller, Eazy-E's business partner and mentor, brings up Motown
      Records founder Berry Gordy as one member of "an elite group of a
      half-a-dozen people that have really shaped the music business. I think
      Eazy was that kind of visionary."

A couple of factors help explain why Wright doesn't get the attention
      of some of his peers. He didn't play to the music media, often letting his
      label's other acts take the spotlight.

Then there's the way he died.

"If he would have gotten shot 12 times, he would have been a hero,"
      Layzie says. "But because he died of HIV and full-blown AIDS, people
      weren't really ready to face that in 1995. Nobody wanted to look at the
      reality that sex was killing people."

Still, Eazy-E remains one of rap's most important figures.

"He inspired [fans] to make something of themselves," Heller says. "He
      showed that you didn't have to wind up dead or in prison just because
      you were born in Compton."

Posted in the spirit of Sharing!

One Love & Respect Always
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

RecoveringAA is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0
      Given: 0/0

Eazy who?

Greetings Jahness and Thanks for Sharing

for those who may not know: My name is Joanie and I'm a Recovering Afrikan amerikkan and Representative from the Voices in the Margins.

While I do not hold myself out as a fan of hip-hop, it is no surprise to me that I've never heard this name. So thank you for "schooling" me.

Too many Voices in the Margins go unheard, unnoticed, dis~respected and this is one reason i spend so much time in this forum. It has and continues to provide a space for our Stories to be told, shared and hopefully, to people who CARE.

I can now add Eazy-E's Spirit to this growing ball of FIRE burning in my soul.

Thanks for allowing me to Share

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

I think Eazy-E is given his due for what he's worth. You're not supposed to give Eazy-E any "Malcolm X" due.

Thumbs Up/Down

???

Quote Originally Posted by rebelafrika
      I think Eazy-E is given his due for what he's worth. You're not supposed to give Eazy-E any "Malcolm X" due.
      Greetings RebelAfrika,

What do you mean?

Joanie

SoularFlarez is offline Her-Em-Akhet

Afrika iz my Block but tha whole Earth iz my Hood
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Alot of Eazy-E's musik was like hiphop now...sex drugs killen eachother etc...but other times he'd slip sumthen in...I was youngggg when He was around so I dontknow too many of his songs

"a 30.06 with a scope/ I make a skinhead brain bust all across tha west coast"

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks for the info Soula...

Still, I will honor his Spirit. I overstand him to have been one of the Voices in the Margins. He did the best he could with what he had....striving, surviving, one day at a time.

Seems a lot of "rappers" may rap about their experiences, strengths and hopes if they could get "paid" for it. ex. "a 30.06 with a scope/ I make a skinhead brain bust all across tha west coast" was this some of his work?

Eazy- E was an AFRIKAN held KKKAPTIVE in amerikkka.....enough for me to honor him.

I really work hard not to "judge a book by its cover", furthermore, i am reminded frequently to "dont judge nobody, cause Jah Jah is the judge" (Reggae song, Luciano & Tony Rebel i think)

of course, i'm not perfect and i am sure a name or two may come up for which i will say...."Rot in peace".......

re~covering...one day at a time.

Rebel Queen is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

I think we have to remember that there are rappers today who use money as an excuse all the time. I dont see anything wrong with rapping especially if its positive and it helps put food on the table. But i have a problem with rappers who use the industry to decimate themselves and our people. I never dissected easy e music to speak too much on him but i heard a few of his songs and i didnt see the positivity in what i heard. Unless they bring the heat, and when i say heat i mean some real shit not all this negative crap that aint doing nothing for black people then i dont think its right to put them in the same category with the likes of Rosa Parks. That surprised me that they compared him and her, even if it wasnt an equal comparison, i just didnt see why they would. But thats just my opinion. Thank you for posting that article tho sistah Jahness. I dont know much about him to say exactly how much credit he should get but thank you for posting that either way.

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Greetings Everyone!

I had no idea who Eazy-E's is or was until I was sent the article. I just thought I would share the info in this forum since it deals with Hip-Hop. For those that know more about Hip-Hop please share your views.

RebelAfrika, at least from the author's point of view Eazy-E's seems to have made some sort of significant contribution.

People get inspired by others everyday for different reasons. From reading the article, it seems that maybe instead of buying all the bling-bling, Easy-E might have inspired someone to own their own business, that is a plus in my neck of the woods.

RecoveringAA, I too am learning more everyday, being a part of this forum.

Each one teach one, so that we can all learn. Keep sharing family.

If you fail to prepare,

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by RecoveringAA
      Greetings RebelAfrika,

What do you mean?

Joanie
      I'm just saying that if Eazy-E was something of a "Malcolm X" (of hip hop) then DEFINITELY I would say that he is not getting his due, because his due would be WORTH MORE...but I think that Eazy DOES get his due...but it is his due FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH. I recognize that Eazy died and I was saddened by his death. I was saddened when Tupac died...and my eyes even got "watery" for him. BUT...I caint watch "An Amazing Grace" without "CRYING." I caint read "Garvey and Garveyism" without getting to points in the book where I just "CRY." I caint watch "Malcolm X" or "Malcolm X: Make it Plain" or "Malcolm X: His Story in his Own Words" without "CRYING." So what I am saying is that I think Eazy-E gets the due he deserves. No MORE than he deserves and no LESS than he deserves. The article expresses the idea that Eazy-E is not getting his FULL due, but I am saying I disagree.

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks for the clarity

Blessed Love Family,

Still Joanie, still an Afrikan Recovering from being "Afrikan amerikkkan" and still Representing the Voices in the Margins.

RebelAfrika,

Thanks for the clarity. I overstand your position.

Thanks for taking the time to respond :cheers:
      and

Thanks for allowing me to Share

Gary C. Booker Guest

My thoughts on Eazy-E

I grew up on hip hop, so I remember them.

I think Eazy Should be given props for being willing to do something that hasn't been done before, but I wish he would have done more than tell it like it is. Other groups, like Public Enemy, were not only telling it like it is but how it could be.

I think Ice-T is more deserving of credit than Eazy because he used his controversy to spark political debate on freedom of speech.

GCB

Hue-Man is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Eazy E

I dont think that you could put Eazy in the same catagory as Malcolm X, but I do believe that he isnt given the same amount of credit as other fallen hip hop artist. I grew up listining to Eazy,s music. If gangsta rap truely portrays the harsh reality of the streets, instead of making it a trend. Then he should be recognized for pioneering that type of music, along with some others who have died making gangsta rap music.

Thumbs Up/Down

sorry for the long post but check this out...

Quote Originally Posted by RecoveringAA
      Seems a lot of "rappers" may rap about their experiences, strengths and hopes if they could get "paid" for it. ex. "a 30.06 with a scope/ I make a skinhead brain bust all across tha west coast" was this some of his work?
      They that was a collab he did with Bone Thugs -n- Harmony....a group he brought out around 93-95 when no one was tryin to hear them,theyve done sum positive tracks way more then people think,one of em hooked up with DeadPrez on the RBG album (Walk Like A Warrior)...

check this out tho...from www.ThugLifeArmy.com
      a Tupac Dedication site,which also has the THUGLIFE codes for those wanna life that kinda life...
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------

An unpublished interview with Eazy-E by Phyllis Pollack, February 1995 at the Ruthless Headquarters.

Forward letter of bereavement by Allen S. Gordon

Eric Wright founded the perfect "legion of doom," only to have a number of so-called super-friends fracture the team into separate entities. When Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Michel'le and the D.O.C. departed from Ruthless Records to persue other ventures, their accusations of Wright "pimping" their talents and not distributing the wealth fairly struck Wright at the core of his being. With raised eye-brows, fans and critics alike turned their backs on the 5'5" Compton native and most of his roster.

Yet, only after Wright's death, in regards to the financial feuds between Ice Cube and former associates (Kam, Lench Mob, Torcha Chamber, DJ Pooh and Sir Jinx) and the revelation of all the scandalous dealings that existed during and after the departure of D.O.C. and Dr. Dre from Death Row records, do we find that Wright appeared to be right all along. Right, but not vindicated. Aside from his family and friends, who mourns for Eazy-E? Before being incarcerated and exposed, Hip-Hop periodicals toasted Suge Knight with cotton candy articles, when his "acquisition" of Dre, D.O.C. and Michel'le was an act of villainy, six years removed. Shoulda' spoke up when Eazy got muscled insteada' waitin' till the Negro version of Wilson Fisk got locked up.

This interview, which took place two months before Wright passed away, has never been published. What state of mind and health Wright was in during this interview will become apparent as you continue to read. Wright was bitter because his family was abducted, yet he remained optimistic about a reunion because all parties would soon come to grips with the truth. The publishing of this piece is not intended to attack or belittle anyone. So with this last article, Eric "Eazy-E" Wright, consider yourself vindicated.

With tears,

Allen S. Gordon, some kid you gave $700 cash to help put through college.

RP: Lately, you've talked a lot about jealousy.

Eazy: Those may hate you, but when you hate them…you destroy yourself [he coughs for a while. After a moment, he puts a tape in the deck]. This is some of the producing that I've been doing. I was thinking this would be a good track for me and Ren.

You did this track? I didn't know you produced.

I did a lot of songs on N.W.A. All that old @#%$. I didn't want the credit because I'm the company, I'm an artist myself, I had a solo album before N.W.A. was out, and I'm in the group (coughs). I didn't want the credit because everyone has egos. I'm getting paid for being in a group and (for) owning the company and being a solo artist. Here's what Dre did. Say me and Ren would come up with a whole idea for a song. Dre was good at putting it together. So we might have an idea for a song, lay it down at home on a little four track or 12 track, and (then) Dre would put it together, him and DJ Yella.

Which N.W.A. tracks are you talking about in particular?

"Findum, ****em and Flee," "She Swallowed It"…me and Ren did a lot of stuff. "Approach to Danger"… a lot of them. I can't remember all of them. A lot of stuff, you could tell if you knew Dre [and] his style. He was in N.W.A., but Dre came from the Wrecking Crew, but I got him to do this other type of music I wanted to do, the gangsta @#%$, and I got Dre away from what he was doing. Ice Cube was from C.I.A. and the Stereo Crew, and if you knew their style, they were like the Beastie Boys. I put' em together, and we formed N.W.A., and they changed their style. And they started hollering Compton because that's where we were from: me, Ren, and Yella.

You want me to put this in here?

Yeah. Whether I had some fake people with me or not. But when Ice Cube split, he never hollered Compton no more. He started hollering "How to survive in South Central." You haven't heard him holler Compton no more. If you look back in the people's pasts and check their style, you'll where they really came from. Go back to their past and see what they were doing in the beginning. Dre, if you listen to his style of music from N.W.A. to now, it's totally different. Dre stole that style [G-funk] from Cold 187um, Rhythm D and a couple of other people he stole from. Dre stole stuff from that, Above The Law's, Black Mafia Life's "Never Missing a Beat." [He coughs twice, then three times] They're good songs.

So how old are you?

Young. [Coughing] Just young. Nobody knows how old.

People say you got the money together to finance Ruthless Records by selling drugs.

They can say whatever, but whatever it came from, they can't prove it.

What's up with you and Cube these days? Are you working with him on anything?

Me and Cube is cool. That's all I can say. We've sat down an' talked a couple of times. I've got nothing against him.

What do you think are some of the misconceptions people have about Ruthless Records?

Number one…that it's my company. I'm the sole owner. There's no investors, there's no partners. It's my company.

Looking at the number of successful Black-owned record companies and how you were one of the first to…

Even if they're Black-owned, they're being financed by someone else. There's a lot of companies, like Russell (Simmons), Andre Harrell's Uptown Records, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis's label. You had Motown…

Motown is not Black-owned.

It was at one time. I said, "You had Motown." (He laughs) Jermaine Dupris is doing something now. Yeah, I was one of them. Then everyone else who broke off from me, some of them is doing good.

Getting back to misconceptions…

I treat my artists real good. All that, "He @#%$ me"…then why am I still making money off them? If someone @#%$ me, they wouldn't be making a dime off me. Dre went out running his mouth off, and nothing he said was true. Everything was false. I still make money off him; I still got about five more years to go.

So what you're saying is that if you were ripping Dre off, that courts would have ruled on his side? The paperwork…

Yeah, contracts and everything, and I worked out a deal with Interscope. I give my artists fair deals. I start them off at 12 points, with escalation at every 500,000. In the publishing, a 50-50 split. Today, most people take 100% of the artist's publishing. I know a lot of people who have sold 4 million records and ain't even seen a million dollars. That ain't no record deal. Now I'm not trying to give out any big advances because that's recoupable. That's your own money. If you take a big advance, you'll have to pay that back )if you don't sell enough units).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CODE OF THUG LIFE

“I didn’t create T.H.U.G. L.I.F.E., I diagnosed it.” – Tupac Shakur.

In 1992 at the ‘Truc Picnic’ in Cali, Tupac was instrumental in getting rival members of the Crips and Bloods to sign the Code Of THUG LIFE.

He and Mutulu Shakur had helped write up the ‘code’ , with help from other ‘og’s’.

The Code of THUG LIFE is listed here.It details do's and don'ts for being a righteous thug and banger.

Code OF THUG LIFE:

1. All new Jacks to the game must know: a) He’s going to get rich. b) He’s going to jail. c) He’s going to die.

2. Crew Leaders: You are responsible for legal/financial payment commitments to crew members; your word must be your bond.

3. One crew’s rat is every crew’s rat. Rats are now like a disease; sooner or later we all get it; and they should too.

4. Crew leader and posse should select a diplomat, and should work ways to settle disputes. In unity, there is strength!

5. Car jacking in our Hood is against the Code.

6. Slinging to children is against the Code.

7. Having children slinging is against the Code.

8. No slinging in schools.

9. Since the rat Nicky Barnes opened his mouth; ratting has become accepted by some. We’re not having it.

10. Snitches is outta here.

11. The Boys in Blue don’t run nothing; we do. Control the Hood, and make it safe for squares.

12. No slinging to pregnant Sisters. That’s baby killing; that’s genocide!

13. Know your target, who’s the real enemy.

14. Civilians are not a target and should be spared.

15. Harm to children will not be forgiven.

16. Attacking someone’s home where their family is known to reside, must be altered or checked.

17. Senseless brutality and rape must stop.

18. Our old folks must not be abused.

19. Respect our Sisters. Respect our Brothers.

20. Sisters in the Life must be respected if they respect themselves.

21. Military disputes concerning business areas within the community must be handled professionally and not on the block.

22. No shooting at parties.

23. Concerts and parties are neutral territories; no shooting!

24. Know the Code; it’s for everyone.

25. Be a real ruff neck. Be down with the code of the Thug Life.

26. Protect yourself at all times..

Some other Interpretations:

Thug Life means - The Hate U Gave Lil' Infants Fucks Everyone.

N-GGA means - Never Ignotant Getting Goals Accomplished.
      OUTLAW stands for 'Operating Under Thug Laws As Warriors'
      MOB stands for Member Of Bloods and /or Money Over *****es

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Greetings SoularFlarez!

I commend you on taking the time out to do the research, and share additional information and links on who Eazy is and what he was about. This is what learning and sharing is all about. Even in starting the thread, I had no clue who this man was.

With yours and the other warriors help who has contributed to this thread, I now have a better understanding of some of the contributions this artist has made.

Hue-Man, Gary C. Booker, and RebelQueen thanks again for your contribution as well and may we all continue to share.

Each one teach one, so we all can be uplifed and inspired when the need arises.

Last edited by Jahness; 04-05-2005 at 06:52 PM.

If you fail to prepare,

Thumbs Up/Down

oh no doubt !!! i mean...we all learn togetha ya kno....and hiphop...man dats like tha DRUM for my generation but tha enemy peeped that bak ina day so now its us taken it bak UNDERGROUND so we got economic AND artistic control ova our own culture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information