Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

XXPANTHAXX is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 29/0
      Given: 142/1

Talking Tahir The Interview: Still Banging On The Shitstem!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Peace Hedrush Fam,
      This is an interview of Tahir by Clyde Smith of www.ProHipHop.com, a hip hop business site (yes -BUSINESS!!). We are doing something different with this interview and thats posting it as it originally was taken rather than the edited
      version we all are used to reading. When its posted to ProHipHop.com, you can compare the two and see whats really hood!!

One Gun, Tahir aka Brian Nichols (without the white chick)
      Hedrush LLC

Question #1
      Clyde: Where did the phrase "Hood Economics" originate for you and what do you mean
      when you say it?

Tahir: The phrase "Hood Economics" as a term; I originally heard it from my friend
      and co-owner of Hedrush Records Abu. We always talked about how all money
      generators of the African community are loosely linked to each other and, if we
      strengthen those ties with community building commerce as well as the other
      African commerce, Africans would be in a better position living in America. Now
      "Hood Economics" as a concept; I have seen this concept in use in my
      neighborhood my entire life. for instance; a barber in my community cuts someone's hair
      and with that money buys a fish dinner from the church fish fry in my
      community who gives a percentage to the pastor who later on that day may go to get his
      car detailed at the detail shop/ car wash in my community and the detailer
      gets off from work and goes to buy a 20 bag of weed from the weed man in my
      community who after he runs out of weed will go home that night, wake up the next
      morning, get dressed, and go get a haircut,..in my community. The main
      objective is to add grocery stores, clothing stores, housing development, and health
      care into the equation. That would be "Hood Economics" working at optimum
      levels.

What I mean when I say it is exactly as I described it. Hood Economics - the
      state of African community commerce. I call it "the 3rd stage of the cure".
      My people are diseased Clyde. And Its deeper than AIDS, drug addiction and
      all those superficial things. Our minds are in disease where we have no solid
      foundation to stand on so all traps and tricks of this society and the world
      work very well on us. Our communities are known as prime testing ground and
      primative capital gaining areas for all people to start up from. Europeans,
      Asians, Arabs, everybody starts off with an option to have something in our
      neighborhood first to use as a springboard into American entrepreneurial money.
      Yet, when we (Africans) try this for ourselves, we are hesitant to support ea
      chother because we feel the product may be inferior or just dont want to see
      anyone in our neighbohood prosper and be self-determining (crabs in the bucket
      theory). This is a disease that has plagued us ever since intergration. So
      the 1st stage of the cure is "homecoming" (which was the title of my first
      album). Meaning Africans coming back to home base. Being aware of our
      surroundings and recognizing our current and rightful place in this world. Getting to
      know ourselves again. Then the 2nd stage is self-defense ("Recoil" was my
      second album). Once we are back to a self-determining and self-respectful way of
      thinking, we must physically and mentally be prepared to protect and preserve
      the treasures that are to come which ultimately WILL be freedom. Once we have
      our mind and body under control (African control and protection), we are now
      ready to build in the world. the first place to start is our own
      neighborhoods. Thus spawns the 3rd stage of the cure, "HOOD ECONOMICS". Once we have our
      economic situation out of the red and under African control, we can move on
      to the next part. This plan is age old Clyde. The Nation of Islam, The Black
      Panther Party, and a few other organizations have implimented this as well.
      And there have been problems that we have identified too. I'm just saying it
      again. Of course I cant give the whole plan out because the enemy is a student
      and tactition, but the enemy knows this much.

Question #2
      Clyde: You mention 4 ways that people get money in the hood. How many of those
      options have you taken?

Tahir: The 4 ways Africans generate money in the hood are: 1. a 9 to 5 working for
      some one else. from bag boys at the supermarket to managers and even
      coorperate America positions working for 3M, Honeywell and firms of that nature.
      DEFINATELY OPPRESSIVE 2. a life of crime - illegal business (according to this
      unfair American government, but thats another story) from the drug and
      prostitution trade to check and credit card scams. some of it is DEFINATELY OPPRESSIVE
      and some of it is PIMPING THE SYSTEM 3. the welfare line - government
      giving Africans money, food checks, and housing. DEFINATELY OPPRESSIVE
      (considering all Africans must do to qualify for it but thats another story as well)
      4. our own grind - being self-determining in so-called legal ventures. such
      as barbers, seamstresses, farmers (of so-called legal food we can eat), cooks,
      musicians who own and release their music from their own labels, etc.
      depending on the direction the money goes once its made is what determines if its
      oppressive or not.

Personally, I have been involved in all 4 approaches before, but now am only
      involved in one - my own grind.

Question #3
      Clyde: Are there any business people who have influenced or inspired you, whether in
      music or elsewhere?

Tahir: Yes, there are many, but i will name 3. First of all, MY PARENTS. They used
      to own a grocery store located in an African community. I was too young to
      appreciate what they were doing but now I know where my sense of Hood Economics
      came from. They would buy all they could from African farmers, gardeners,
      fishermen, etc. in the neighborhood the store was in as well as spread the word
      about the businesses they patronized to others and even helped aspiring
      African manufacturers to get connected so the circle could grow. They also
      explained the importance of what they were doing to the producers and the customers so
      it wouldnt just be "American business" but true "Hood Economics". They
      stopped selling alcohol and cigarettes too - something that kills the African
      community with style. They recognized that as the enemy and deaded it. THAT IS
      STILL UNHEARD OF!! I love them for that. And the products were fresh and
      prices comparable to the major chains like Winn-Dixie and Publix, who dont give a
      flying 747 fuck about the hood (thanks Nas). And, one of the best things they
      did, held tutoring sessions in the back of the store!! From school work to
      being a man or woman to taking care of your family to financial planning.
      Schooling people (me included) on life period. That is the meaning of Hood
      Economics manifested into tangible evidence. They have been robbed, vandalized,
      harrassed by other stores for the messages they were putting out and still banged
      on the system with big heat! Shouts to Robinson's grocery and all those who
      remember that era before the Arab invasion.

2. - Jam Pony Express DJs (Rest in Uhuru Big Ace (Uhuru means freedom)).
      JPE is a DJ crew from Ft. Lauderdale FLorida that has been making mix tapes
      since 1981 and selling them independantly all over Florida and Georgia since then.
      Thats 24 years making money in the hood off music and at the same time
      pioneering a now must-have skill for djs in Florida (thats if you really wanna be
      dope) called mic checking. They made millions and didnt have to sell out to do
      it. No major deals no internet sales no distribution deals that werent hood
      related. 100% African all the way. One time for Cool Lock Jock, Slick Vic,
      Big Ace, Rated R, Giggalo Joe, Lil Fuss, Hot Rod, and the rest of the legendary
      Jam Pony Express DJs (its so many of them I cant possibly name them all).
      They showed me an example of doing what you do in music and being monetarily
      prosperous without having to take one step out of the African community.

3. Roc-A-Fella Records. Jay-Z, Dame Dash, and Biggs are the perfect example
      of NEVER compromising the mission and forever enterprising in this American
      Entertainment Industry. They made the industry go from dissing them to
      accepting whatever they say. They used the system against itself for their own
      company's welfare because we all know the enemy didnt want THAT much power in their
      hands. from music to fashion to everything they're involved with they did it
      their way from the BEGINNING. I stress beginning because a few Africans have
      similar success but the beginnings are the most important part. CEOs from
      the door!! The way they began set an example for Africans aspiring to do it
      WITHOUT COMPROMISE. I am definately one of those aspiring Africans. Shouts out
      to Dame, Jay-Z, and Biggs for being Kings all the way through.

Question #4
      Clyde: Did you see the tv show The Wire?
      It talks a lot about the concept of the game,
      generally meaning the drug game but I see the show as
      revealing multiple games played by dealers, cops,
      business people and so forth. Does that term have particular meaning or meanings for you, even if you
      haven't seen The Wire?

Tahir: Yes I've seen The Wire. One of the best American justice system propaganda
      shows on tv in a while. I was definately hooked on what was coming next. The
      game they refer to is the drug game and you are right. There are many other
      games being played too. The only games that interested me on that show were
      the games the African drug dealers played with each other, the games the police
      and the Africans played with each other, and the games the so-called legal
      business people played with the African drug dealers. But they are all games and
      they have beginnings and ends. Winners and Losers. The game is called
      capitalism and it's too many levels involved for Africans to not have a complete set
      of rules and expect to win. The truth is we will never have a compete set of
      rules because we're not at the table when they are made or amended. So yes,
      we can get to level 3 or 4, but to get to level 10 and the secret boards
      beyond, thats a birth right we dont have and can never achieve in this particular
      game no matter what we do or how hard we try. The Wire did an exellent job of
      showing us that.

Part 2 of 2
      Question 1.2
      Clyde: Why do you use the terms African as opposed to
      African-American or black?

Tahir: I use the term African because that is what describes my people the best. We
      are from Africa. May be born in America, or Canada, or London, Jamaica,
      Peurto Rico, or where ever else. But we are Africans by identity, nature, and
      everything else. The Seminoles, Cherokee, and the rest of the natives of this
      land are "Americans". That best describes them. You are European and so on.
      That just keeps everything simple so we all understand who's who.

Question #2.2
      Clyde: Does focusing your economic activity on African
      business or "creating a hood economy" mean actively
      boycotting businesses that don't fit the parameters of
      hood economics?

Tahir: Let me say first, the "hood economy" is already in existance. It just doesnt
      work in the favor of Africans who populate the hood. I don't think Africans
      need to focus on boycotting, we need to focus on patronizing African businesses
      in the hood and letting them know, as well as non-African businesses in the
      hood, that there is a responsibility that goes along with being able to make
      money in the hood. And that's building the hood's economy in a way that
      benefits the hood as well as the business. If a business does not have the hood's
      best interest in mind and is there to just suck the resources out of it and and
      use them for other things (like the diamond industry in Africa), then yes,
      boycott and get them OUT of the hood immediately!!

Question # 3.2
      Clyde: Do you see the crabs in a bucket phenomenon also
      relevant within hip hop? For example, a dj in
      Greensboro, NC that I interviewed described the local
      hip hop scene that way and events soon after strongly
      illustrated his point.

Tahir: Yes, both major and indy-wise. "Gate keepers" of information, opportunity,
      and resources an artist or company may need to accomplish something.

Question # 4.2
      Clyde:Who is the "enemy" exactly?

Tahir: The enemy is any person, place, or thing against freedom. simple as that.

Question #5.2
      Clyde: What do you mean by "mic checking"?

Tahir: Mic checking is a technique used by lots of Florida djs made popular by the
      legendary Jam Pony Express Djs straight outta Ft. Liquor-dale Florida (all JPE
      heads will recognize). Using the fader on the mixer, the dj blanks out the
      words of a song and replaces them with his/her own words. It takes alot of
      rhythm, memorizing songs, and wit to pull it off. Besides JPE, the best I've
      heard are DJ Mike Fresh (Hedrush Records) and M.B. (Low-Key Key Figures Ent.) both
      out of Tallahassee Florida. Who, by the way, are both well accomplished on
      the mix cd scene in North Florida and are currently working on one together.
      It's sure to be "Dat Gator"! Shouts out to them for keeping the art alive and
      well respected.

Question # 6.2
      Clyde: Please tell me more about your views on the mixtape
      industry or however you'd like to refer to it. How
      much of that is using original material with
      permission and how much leverages copyrighted material
      used without permission but with this weird blind eye
      that the music industry general turns towards such
      activity?

Tahir: I see the mix cd industry as a good thing for all involved. The dj gets to
      promote themselves and make money. The record company with a song on there
      gets free promotions. And the customer gets to hear the newest hip hop on the
      market and can make a choice whether to buy the album from a particular artist
      or not. I love it!!

Question # 7.2
      Clyde: When you describe The Wire as "American justice system
      propaganda" what do you mean exactly?

Tahir: I mean exactly what I said. American justice system propaganda. The Wire is
      a television show approved by the FCC. If it really told the truth of the
      "drug game" and who ALL the players, winners, and losers are and went play by
      play, this television show would have placed a negative outlook on the American
      justice system. Which means it would have not been approved by the FCC and,
      in turn, would have never made it from script to film.

Question # 8.2
      Clyde: When you talk about the game of capitalism, you
      discuss the difficulties of reaching "level 10 and the
      secret boards beyond", is that a videogame reference
      or is that referring to something else?

Tahir: That's a video game reference.

Question # 9.2
      Clyde: You mention the "weed man". Do you see his function
      as different from dealers who sell heroin or cocaine?
      What about alcohol in the hood?
      If you can tie that in to D-Boy, that would be great.

Tahir: Weed is not as potent or addictive as other drugs such as heroin or cocaine.
      However, it is illegal in the USA so the same "drug game" rules apply to
      being associated with it; dealer or user. D-Boy is a remake of the classic NWA
      song "Dope Man" from the album "Straight Outta Compton". It describes the life
      of a crack dealer in 1986-87 Compton, CA. "D-Boy" is a term presently used in
      Florida for drug dealers dealing with cocaine or heroine based products. The
      song D-Boy is the same as Dope Man except for a few changes that make it
      Florida related and the last verse is my take on how a D-boy's life could wind up.
      As far as alcohol, it is a legal drug making the government the "obvious"
      D-Boy in this case and their business is very successful, especially in the
      African community. Drugs, no matter what the type or potency, alter a persons
      mindstate. In my opinion, Africans in America and around the world dont need
      anymore mind tricks played on us, and definately not self-induced!! Yes, in some
      cases, dealing these drugs are some peoples' only way for survival at times,
      but that doesnt make it positive for the African community as a whole. So to
      answer your question, yes, the weed man and the coke man are in the same boat
      fleet; they just have different size anchors.
      Nov 2, 2015 "Assata Shakur Liberation Day" marks 36 yrs of freedom for our Comrade Assata Shakur, Our Warrior was liberated from a NJ prison by Comrades In The Black Liberation Army click here to read more or here www.assatashakur.com

XXPANTHAXX is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 29/0
      Given: 142/1

Talking

PS for those that dont know, Warrior Tahir is a member of this forum... Uhuru!!
      Nov 2, 2015 "Assata Shakur Liberation Day" marks 36 yrs of freedom for our Comrade Assata Shakur, Our Warrior was liberated from a NJ prison by Comrades In The Black Liberation Army click here to read more or here www.assatashakur.com

Little95 is offline Kwabena "KuMaa" Okofo

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0
      Given: 0/0

Lovely Post, I support the Troop cuz I luv the Mindstate & Cause!!!!!!

Fight ON Solider,
      Black Powa
      "If anybody can't live under AFRIKAN POWER show 'em where tha airport is, tha shipyard is or where the graveyard is" <> Dr. J. H. Clarke (Christopher Columbus Grand Theft Genocide)
      NO SALE/CELL/SELL-OUT

DJ RBG is offline S1W-Insurgent

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Talking

That "Hood Economics" Is Banging!!!!
      " Fried, Baked, Grilled, Boiled Or Smoked, The Only Good Pig, Is A Dead Pig...Fuck The Holice!!!"

ShutEmDown is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

one of my favorite rappers, keep speakin truth to power, check out that Birth of a Nation Mixtape.

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Great interview! Tahir gives a lot of insight into how we as a people should support ourselves and stop looking to others for assistance. "Hood Economics" seems like a good place to start.

Thanks XXPanthaXX for this post.

and :cheers:
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Thread Information