Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Queen
      Sorry i cant say much a bout the song or the video, havents seen or heard it. But just a quick thought. hope im not too off topic but diamonds arent the only things with our blood & sweat on it... We might as well walk around naked, what yall think?

Peace
      RQ
      I think that's an EXCELLENT idea. J/K(?)

On the serious tip though...I consider diamonds to be particularly insidious because of how unneccessary they are. Clothes are one thing (and I know my nikes is f***ing MAD people up when I buy them) but outside of a religious (African religion/tradition) or cultural use, I say Jewelry is completely vain. And NO...the iced out "Jesus Piece" does not constitute a religious use of jewelry.

Rebel Queen is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by rebelafrika
      I think that's an EXCELLENT idea. J/K(?)

On the serious tip though...I consider diamonds to be particularly insidious because of how unneccessary they are. Clothes are one thing (and I know my nikes is f***ing MAD people up when I buy them) but outside of a religious (African religion/tradition) or cultural use, I say Jewelry is completely vain. And NO...the iced out "Jesus Piece" does not constitute a religious use of jewelry.
      LOL.. Knew you would be fond of the thought, lol... But i feel u though when you turn on bet the amount bling they be wearing be blinding my ass. It really is sad that people use that ish to define themselves. But whats sad about it is that whether people know where there jewelry really comes from or not, most of them dont even care.

Brother Tarikh is offline RA'S SUN!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Daisho
      Kanye Punked out, all the media hype and sit down interviews he did promoting this song was a waste! The video was lame as hell, the message confused as Roc-A-Fella Records direction, the end result a wet paper bag of a punch at the system exploiting Afrikan Children. Dude act like if you go to the Jew-Ree store they'll honestly tell you where the shiny rocks came from...Oh, no Mr. Nigga' these shiny rocks came from Jupiter I promise no Dead Lil' Suffering Nigga's like ya'self died for these...Now gimme your 80 G's and rest your ignorant conscience. Please. Kanye's egomania strikes again...a yawnfest like his first album I suspect.

Sucka' M.C.'s...Sad faced Clown-Run*
      Alafia,

Gotta agree with your comments. But even more than that, i found it interesting that at the very beginning of the video (where there is a talk-over), the picture is painted that Afrikans are to blame for this madness. The wars that are taking place all over Afrika have a deeper root than Afrikan rebels killing and maiming Afrikan children for diamonds. Let us ask the question, where are those diamonds going??? They damn sure ain't staying in Afrika and there isn't one Afrikan benefitting from the trade (just like our enslavement).

Sometimes, Afrikan people are so starved for someone to boldly speak out on issues and speak truth to power, that even misinformed and misinterpreted information is hailed as "revolutionary". How revolutionary is it to blame the very people you claim to be so concerned about???

If Kanye wanted to speak truth to power and really address the issue of the diamond trade, he would have mentioned South Afrika and DeBeers Consolidated Mines, where Afrikans are STILL dying wholesale. Ain't no rebels there making Afrikans mine for diamonds. The same crackers that were in control 100 years ago are still in control. Afrikans in South Afrika are STILL working for peanuts, while Zionists rape the land for her precious resources.

Kanye's video, in my humble opinion, is likened to Afrikans in America being blamed for their current condition. "Well, if you negroes would just get up off yo lazy behinds, everything will be alright". As though 300 plus years of enslavement can just be overlooked; 100 plus years of Jim Crow can be forgotten; and 300 plus years of brutality and dehumanization will have no impact on us, once WE go out and get jobs!!! How arrogant is that?!?!?!?

Kanye had the opportunity to address this very serious issue and he missed the point by miles. Since Kanye wants to leave us with the impression that Rebels are over there killing and maiming, i'd like to ask him (and some in here), who ARMED those rebels??? What are they fighting for??? And, who has had the power to step in, but refuses??? I'm not implying that we should wait for some benevolent European to solve our problems (if there is such a thing), but let us look at the total picture.

I'm not giving the brother credit for projecting an incorrect picture of the diamond trade. For what??? Our struggle is about TRUTH, not misperceptions, lies and deceit.

Did we really expect Jewish owned Def Jam to allow Kanye to really discuss this issue in a revolutionary way???

Now Get Up.

Tarikh.

Thumbs Up/Down

I don't know. I tend to think that Kanye saying "something" is better than him saying "nothing." I'ma leave it alone though.

QueenWarriorNefertari is offline QUEEN CYNEQUA

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow Even when its not all good, we'll make it so.

As always, lovers of hip hop will go for whatever rappers are bringing today. He's saying NOTHING whatsoever with the song. The video speaks to the subject, and thats it. I heard a waaaaaaaaaay better cut of the subject matter from a rapper who's name I can't remember at present. Same music but entirely different lyrics -- they actually had something to do with Sierra Leone and the blood diamonds and so forth.

I feel we're lazy hip hop heads nowadays. We go for anything. But we're also a generation filled with lazy so-called "conscious revolutionaries" too. So I don't expect much to change or get better. Yet (we still have much time).

Just how I'm feeling....
      Black Beyond Belief
      QUEEN BE AFROHEMIAN.

Thumbs Up/Down

Storm is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Hue-Man
      Im confused about Kanye West. In the video he shows how Africans are being used as slaves in the diamond mines, but what he talks about during the video is a whole different subject, and at the end of the video in smallest print ever it says "buy conflict free diamonds", the video is already black and white, does he think people are gonna take notice to that.

PEACE !
      The thing that really hit home with me was the part in the video where a woman had on a diamond ring and her hand started dripping with blood. Kanye openly admits that he straddles the thin line of ignorance and consciousness. Can you do anything but respect that? Some of us do it secretly.

The message was clear to me though. I felt that the song was in response to Jay-Z's retirement and people speculating what's going to happen to Rocafella. Their symbol has always been the diamond and he was just simply stating that they're always going to be there.
      THE REVOLUTION IS COMING.....i know you hear our footsteps

NewJerusalem is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtfulGirl
      You know I like Knaye a lot, but still I still I'm not feeling him wearing that diamonds and gold. Are his jewels conflict free????? I don't really know but I'm still trying to digest him doing that white jesus piece with Jacob the jeweler.I'm still Pi$$ed about that. Are Jacobs diamonds conflict free too. But it's not like you can't see where he stands from his actions it's right in our faces.

I feel the same way you do. I really like him alot too, but I was pissed that he protrayed Jesus Christ as a white man in his "Jesus Walks" video. Then his lyrics were "I aint tryna argue about his facial features" SAY WHAT??

Thumbs Up/Down

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerusalem
      I feel the same way you do. I really like him alot too, but I was pissed that he protrayed Jesus Christ as a white man in his "Jesus Walks" video. Then his lyrics were "I aint tryna argue about his facial features" SAY WHAT??
      I totally see why he says this. I could give a damn right now on debating what shade of skin Jesus is, and proving it to whitefolk because everyday I am facing young people of 7-17 who are not only ready to die, looking to die, they believe they will before 25. They see no future, do not look to build a future and would rather not discuss it either.

So no.. I'm more looking to bring a hopeless people back to a solid faith in Something righteous before they decide to take lives they were incredibly blessed to receive.

Thats just my 2 pennies.
      Black Beyond Belief
      QUEEN BE AFROHEMIAN.

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 7/0

I don't know. I tend to think that Kanye saying "something" is better than him saying "nothing." I'ma leave it alone though.
      I don't think this idea is correct because when people don't know what they are talking about they need to be quiet and let those who do know speak. This applies to Kanye West because he continuously does this along with other rappers.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm
      Kanye openly admits that he straddles the thin line of ignorance and consciousness. Can you do anything but respect that? Some of us do it secretly.
      The idea that Kanye West admitted that he "straddles the thin line of ignorance and consciousness" confuses the masses and allows for what QueenWarriorNefertari called "lazy so-called conscious revolutionaries". This kind of unconsciousness under the guides of consciousness is unhealthy and a detrement to Our People. It breeds a false image of reality, it creates unconscience lairs, and cause silly poets and rappers to call themselves revolutionaries yet without having to study or put in work for Our People.

Another point I'd like to make is Our People (always including those who call themselves revolutionaries or conscious or whatever) tend to still look to entertainers like rappers and poets to define what conscious and revolutionaries is, to give political analysis, define political aims, when there are people who are millions time more qualified for this. What is an entertainer, a person who something diverting (to turn from one course or use to another) or engaging: as a public performance, a usually light comic or adventure novel.

When was the last time you heard any other races of people look to there entertainers for political analysis/goals/aims/thought. When other people look at politics they get a politician, when these white shows talk about white politics they get one of there politicians not Brad Pitt or Limp Bizikit or some other entertainer. When hispanics look at politics they get a politician not Ricky Martain or Jennifer Lopez. But when we, Africans in AmeriKKKa, look for political analysis we turn and debate about people like Kanye West, Common, Talib Kweli, and any other unconscious, unqualified, person who makes a living by entertaining people to give political analysis when people like Chairman Fred Hampton Jr., Assata Shakur, Mumia Abu-Jamal, Imam Jamil Al-Amin, Marimbi Ani, Dr. John H. Clark, Omali Yeshitela, Dr. Neely Fuller Jr, Dr. Khallid Muhammad, Ivan Van Sertima, Kwame Ture, Marcus Garvey, people on this forum, and many others are out there are out there to give proper political analysis.

Our People who call themselves revolutionaries or conscious or whatever must stop this and point Our People in the right direction. And must stop looking at entertainers for answers, look to them for entertainment only. I watched at the Hip Hop Summit every rapper and singer besides Crooked I, a rapper on Death Row Records who raps about shooting Our People up, hesitant, disturbed, and frightened to hold up the African Anti-Terrorism Bill poster on stage. The African Anti-Terrorism Bill poster is a poster Chairman Fred Hampton Jr and his folks forced every entertainer to hold include Russell Simmions, Common, Kanye West, and other so-called conscious rappers and singers.
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Im The Truth
      I don't think this idea is correct because when people don't know what they are talking about they be quiet and let those who do know speak. This applies to Kanye West because he continuously does this along with other rappers.
      And when were those in hip-hop who "know what they are talking about" going to talk?

Daisho is offline The Ghost Swordsman

B.K.N.Y. The Far East: Onyx Buddha Has Risen
      Thumbs Up/Down

You Don't Show Up To A Gun Fight With Spit Balls And Rubber Bands. Either Come Correct Or Don't Come At All...I Think If You're Sincere And A Platform Is Presented To You To Convey A Crucial Message You Don't Just Jump Up And Waste Time. Granted All I Expect From An Entertainer Is Entertainment But If You Gon' Mix Politics And Plight And Call It Fight Music You Can Atleast Have The Skills To Win The Battle. Trying To Appeal To White Peoples Concious As Though History Has Shown It Exists...Congrats To Kanye For Hitting A 500 lb Iron Pig With A Refrigerator Magnet And A Lime Coke Can...I Think They Felt You.
      In The Midst Of The Secret Wars...Deliberate, Strategize, Execute, Finalize, Clean Up What You`ve Carved Away, Reexamine The Conclusion & The Motivation, Master It, Record The Lessons & Move On!-Daisho*

Thumbs Up/Down

Lightbulb Understanding more each day.

I feel many hip hop heads who are aware (aka conscious) of the contradictions or knowledge needing be dropped into the minds of the listeners would loooooooooooove to bring up their own responses or changes in hip hop, yet they lack the skills. Many loving hip hop and making it their religion, their life and discipline can't rhyme, can't write, can't make beats. They simply love the phenomenon of each. So they will support whats being produced as best they can.

Now I'm understanding how many can love tracks like this, that seem so contradictory to alot of us. If you love hip hop, you're going to love most if not all of whats out there even if you're critiquing it from time to time.

My thing is this, we'll talk about how bad alot of the music speaks about us sistahs, or the pseudo-thug thing and so forth. Yet most of us "conscious" folks will read Donald Goines and Iceberg Slim and call them "classics". Thats become a problem to me.

I'm beginning the work to again understand how emcees are doing what they do now. Why the lyrics are as they are, outside of them pushing whatever ideas the top executives of their record companies want them to. There's something more to it, so I've calmed down so much on the fight against negativity within the music, to see how we got here and why it so easily continues in our community. We can't keep saying its what white kids wanna hear...there's more to this.

A sistah is reflecting today, and felt like sharing my thoughts.

Black Beyond Belief
      QUEEN BE AFROHEMIAN.

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 7/0

Unfortunately many of these entertainers do not have the love for knowlegde and/or sincerity to help Our People as many of us do. So with this being the case entertainers will never know what they are talking about until that love and/or sincerity is there. How can we as organizers create this love or sincerity for them either by making the People force them to do the right thing or by us forcing them to do the right thing. This force can be physical or economic.

And when were those in hip-hop who "know what they are talking about" going to talk?
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

Brother Tarikh is offline RA'S SUN!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Daisho
      You Don't Show Up To A Gun Fight With Spit Balls And Rubber Bands. Either Come Correct Or Don't Come At All...I Think If You're Sincere And A Platform Is Presented To You To Convey A Crucial Message You Don't Just Jump Up And Waste Time. Granted All I Expect From An Entertainer Is Entertainment But If You Gon' Mix Politics And Plight And Call It Fight Music You Can Atleast Have The Skills To Win The Battle. Trying To Appeal To White Peoples Concious As Though History Has Shown It Exists...Congrats To Kanye For Hitting A 500 lb Iron Pig With A Refrigerator Magnet And A Lime Coke Can...I Think They Felt You.
      "Let the church say Amen!!!"---Dr. Khallid Abdul Muhammad.

Tarikh.
      "When you do your homework, you can come out of any corner."--Baba Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"Any leadership that teaches you to depend upon another race is a leadership that will enslave you."--Marcus Mosiah Garvey

"But my spirit is growing in sevens."--Saul Williams.

"Backstage whisperin' to management, like 'change the order, there's no way that we can rock after THEM!'"--Black Thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information