Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow Mexican stamp is bad, but U.S. rappers have it licked

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Mexican stamp is bad, but U.S. rappers have it licked

Gregory Kane of the Baltimore Sun
      July 6, 2005

SO, WHICH image of black folks does more damage to the race?

The one of Memin Pinguin, the little guy on the Mexican postage stamp who looks like he was yanked off the screen of a cartoon in the 1930s or 1940s?

Or the image of rappers 50 Cent and Tony Yayo on the cover of XXL magazine that its editors proclaimed “The Jail Issue” and dedicated to “hip-hop’s incarcerated soldiers"?

Before you make up your mind – although you’ve probably guessed where I’m going with this – allow me to give a few more details about that XXL cover.

Fiddy – as 50 Cent, born Curtis Jackson, is known to his adoring legion of addle-brained fans – stands wearing a sleeveless T-shirt, black pants and a black doo-rag. His hands appear to be clasped behind his back.

To his left stands Yayo in an orange prison jumpsuit. He has his hands behind his back. The caption tells us that Fiddy and Yayo are “G-Unit’s convicted felons.” G-Unit is Fiddy’s clique. It stands for either “Gorilla Unit” or “Guerrilla Unit.” Or at one time stood for “Guerrilla Unit” and now stands for “Gorilla Unit.” It depends on which Web site you access.

Oh, it gets worse.

“50 Cent & Tony Yayo” another caption tells us. Then, perhaps the most frightening revelation of all: “We Can’t Be Stopped.”

Just what we’re afraid of, Fiddy and Tony. Just what we’re afraid of. This sordid tale hasn’t hit rock bottom quite yet. If readers of the “Jail Issue” of XXL flip it over, the back cover shows Fiddy and Yayo from behind.
      They see Fiddy with some chain cutters and Yayo in handcuffs that clearly have been cut.

Clever stuff, what?

Potential buyers who’ve been weirded out by the cover and the theme will open the magazine and read what some of “hip-hop’s incarcerated soldiers” have to say at their own risk. But they’ll learn one of the “soldiers” is Antron “Big Lurch” Singleton. “Big Lurch” is serving life without parole for murdering a woman and eating part of her lung.

If you’re thinking that the “Jail Issue” of XXL might be excellent propaganda for white racist hate groups, there’s at least one that’s way ahead of you. According to the Web site http://www.secondamendment.net/, “culture follows race.”

You may have correctly surmised that this isn’t a Web site strictly devoted to the Second Amendment. It skews white and racist.

“Do you still wonder why so many Whites move out of a neighborhood when Blacks start moving in?” the Web site asks. (The emphasis on still is the work of the folks in charge of the Web site.) The quote is directly above an image of the XXL “Jail Issue” cover.

You would think white racists using that cover for propaganda purposes would fall under the category of being “injurious to black people,” wouldn’t you? And you’d be right.

But the NAACP hasn’t weighed in – yet – on whether the “Jail Issue” cover of XXL magazine is an image that is harmful to black folks. But NAACP interim President and Chief Executive Officer Dennis Courtland Hayes jumped right on the Memin Pinguin stamp controversy.

In a June 29 news release, the organization tells us that “Hayes … said the decision by the Mexican government to issue a blatantly racist postage stamp is ‘injurious to black people who live in the United States and Mexico.’ Hayes called on the Mexican government to immediately cease printing and
      distributing the stamp that bears an offensive cartoon character with black skin and
      thick lips known as Memin Pinguin and his mother, who resembles an early version of Aunt Jemima.”

There’s no indication that Hayes has called on the editors of XXL magazine to stop producing stupid covers and writing about idiotic topics. But that’s one phone call he needs to make immediately, if not sooner.

NAACP spokesman John White said that the organization had to respond to the Memin Pinguin stamp, and he’s right. NAACP officials have protested vicious racial stereotypes for years. I’m sure glad they were around in the 1940s when the horrendously racist cartoon “Scrub Me Mama With A Boogie Beat” was stinking
      out theaters across the land.

White took a look at the “Jail Issue” cover of XXL magazine online. I asked him if the organization had a stand on which image was more harmful to blacks. “I think it’s kind of apples and oranges to compare a stamp issued by a government to a magazine cover,” White said. “That’s not to say the NAACP approves of the cover. We would hope they [XXL’s editors] portray more positive role models than they do.”

NAACP officials may get a chance next year. The Web site for XXL said the “Jail Issue” was the “first annual.”

Source =Baltimore Sun

http://www.playahata.com/
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

WombanAuset is offline Sacred Militant Womb-Man

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 5/0
      Given: 0/0

Not only is this title fitting for what is going on,it's the truth. I was offended by the stamp,yet and still other countries think its ok..because of our own self inflicted racism,and degrading of ourselves..we call each other n i g g a, b i t c h e s , h o e s...all of that...the xxl cover and other things going on. Its ok for us to do it to ourselves..but someone else does it we want to cry foul. The stamp was licked,put on a envelope and mailed!
      Ahoofe ntua ka, suban pa na hia- physical beauty does not count much, it is good character that counts.
      See a black man dead, from a white man's powder
      See a white man scared, from a black man's power~Timbaland

RecoveringAA is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

no comparison needed

Quote Originally Posted by Jahness
      Mexican stamp is bad, but U.S. rappers have it licked

Gregory Kane of the Baltimore Sun
      July 6, 2005

SO, WHICH image of black folks does more damage to the race?

The one of Memin Pinguin, the little guy on the Mexican postage stamp who looks like he was yanked off the screen of a cartoon in the 1930s or 1940s?

Or the image of rappers 50 Cent and Tony Yayo on the cover of XXL magazine that its editors proclaimed “The Jail Issue” and dedicated to “hip-hop’s incarcerated soldiers"?

Before you make up your mind – although you’ve probably guessed where I’m going with this – allow me to give a few more details about that XXL cover.

Fiddy – as 50 Cent, born Curtis Jackson, is known to his adoring legion of addle-brained fans – stands wearing a sleeveless T-shirt, black pants and a black doo-rag. His hands appear to be clasped behind his back.

To his left stands Yayo in an orange prison jumpsuit. He has his hands behind his back. The caption tells us that Fiddy and Yayo are “G-Unit’s convicted felons.” G-Unit is Fiddy’s clique. It stands for either “Gorilla Unit” or “Guerrilla Unit.” Or at one time stood for “Guerrilla Unit” and now stands for “Gorilla Unit.” It depends on which Web site you access.

Oh, it gets worse.

“50 Cent & Tony Yayo” another caption tells us. Then, perhaps the most frightening revelation of all: “We Can’t Be Stopped.”

Just what we’re afraid of, Fiddy and Tony. Just what we’re afraid of. This sordid tale hasn’t hit rock bottom quite yet. If readers of the “Jail Issue” of XXL flip it over, the back cover shows Fiddy and Yayo from behind.
      They see Fiddy with some chain cutters and Yayo in handcuffs that clearly have been cut.

Clever stuff, what?

Potential buyers who’ve been weirded out by the cover and the theme will open the magazine and read what some of “hip-hop’s incarcerated soldiers” have to say at their own risk. But they’ll learn one of the “soldiers” is Antron “Big Lurch” Singleton. “Big Lurch” is serving life without parole for murdering a woman and eating part of her lung.

If you’re thinking that the “Jail Issue” of XXL might be excellent propaganda for white racist hate groups, there’s at least one that’s way ahead of you. According to the Web site http://www.secondamendment.net/, “culture follows race.”

You may have correctly surmised that this isn’t a Web site strictly devoted to the Second Amendment. It skews white and racist.

“Do you still wonder why so many Whites move out of a neighborhood when Blacks start moving in?” the Web site asks. (The emphasis on still is the work of the folks in charge of the Web site.) The quote is directly above an image of the XXL “Jail Issue” cover.

You would think white racists using that cover for propaganda purposes would fall under the category of being “injurious to black people,” wouldn’t you? And you’d be right.

But the NAACP hasn’t weighed in – yet – on whether the “Jail Issue” cover of XXL magazine is an image that is harmful to black folks. But NAACP interim President and Chief Executive Officer Dennis Courtland Hayes jumped right on the Memin Pinguin stamp controversy.

In a June 29 news release, the organization tells us that “Hayes … said the decision by the Mexican government to issue a blatantly racist postage stamp is ‘injurious to black people who live in the United States and Mexico.’ Hayes called on the Mexican government to immediately cease printing and
      distributing the stamp that bears an offensive cartoon character with black skin and
      thick lips known as Memin Pinguin and his mother, who resembles an early version of Aunt Jemima.”

There’s no indication that Hayes has called on the editors of XXL magazine to stop producing stupid covers and writing about idiotic topics. But that’s one phone call he needs to make immediately, if not sooner.

NAACP spokesman John White said that the organization had to respond to the Memin Pinguin stamp, and he’s right. NAACP officials have protested vicious racial stereotypes for years. I’m sure glad they were around in the 1940s when the horrendously racist cartoon “Scrub Me Mama With A Boogie Beat” was stinking
      out theaters across the land.

White took a look at the “Jail Issue” cover of XXL magazine online. I asked him if the organization had a stand on which image was more harmful to blacks. “I think it’s kind of apples and oranges to compare a stamp issued by a government to a magazine cover,” White said. “That’s not to say the NAACP approves of the cover. We would hope they [XXL’s editors] portray more positive role models than they do.”

NAACP officials may get a chance next year. The Web site for XXL said the “Jail Issue” was the “first annual.”

Source =Baltimore Sun

http://www.playahata.com/
      Greetings Jahness,

You are always Ona Move with BlaCkceLLenT postings! Akpe for all you DO.

Yes the Mexican stamp is highly offensive and frustrating to see. Frustrating BE~cause WE have worked so hard to break these chains of racially oppressive messages, especially when other groups get in the mix of perpetrating the same bs WE have fought against here in amerikkka, jamaica, haiti, kkkanda, etc...

However, the images and messages OUR own perpetuate DOES MORE DAMAGE than the stamp. The majority of young folk of Afrikan Descent know and follow "fiddy" (damn shame) and the other "walking, talking dead" (rappers confiming their hate of self). They are not as likely to buy the stamp or have even heard of the controversy around it, what it means, and are probably clueless as to why anyone would BE offended by it in the first place.

What else to say?? WE still "catching it" (bs) from all ends, getting f*cked in every orifice availabe.

Major works are needed. WE need to really step up OUR efforts to awaken the children. WE have an obligation, no, a Spiritual mandate, to DO so.
      "The time is too late, now" (Nina Simone).

Akpe for sharing and allowing me to share

In Love of Afrikans home and abroad

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow Stop the madness of self hate

Quote Originally Posted by WombanIsis
      Not only is this title fitting for what is going on,it's the truth. I was offended by the stamp,yet and still other countries think its ok..because of our own self inflicted racism,and degrading of ourselves..we call each other n i g g a, b i t c h e s , h o e s...all of that...the xxl cover and other things going on. Its ok for us to do it to ourselves..but someone else does it we want to cry foul. The stamp was licked,put on a envelope and mailed!
      Greetings WombanIsis!

Welcome to the dialogue. I have to agree with you. Too many times we only get upset when others offend us, but we fail to see the hatred we
      do to our own.

We hate ourselves to the point that we even deny that it is even happening. We try to sum it up as free expression of love towards
      each other.

Accepting all this negative type of images of ourselves is a sickness
      we must heal ourselves from. Glorifying prison or the gangsta life is
      no joke. We have to wake up, because incarceration of our people is destroying our community.

As a people we simply need to stop the madness. It is not good when someone does it to us, and it's even worse when we do it to ourselves.

Thanks for sharing and allowing me to share with you.

Peace!

If you fail to prepare,

Thumbs Up/Down

Greetings WombanIsis!

Welcome to the dialogue. I have to agree with you. Too many times we only get upset when others offend us, but we fail to see the hatred we
      do to our own.

We hate ourselves to the point that we even deny that it is even happening. We try to sum it up as free expression of love towards
      each other.

Accepting all this negative type of images of ourselves is a sickness
      no joke. We have to wake up, because incarceration of our people is destroying our community.

As a people we simply need to stop the madness. It is not good when someone does it to us, and it's even worse when we do it to ourselves.

Thanks for sharing and allowing me to share with you.

Peace!

Thank you, i love what you post here!
      Hetepu
      Ahoofe ntua ka, suban pa na hia- physical beauty does not count much, it is good character that counts.

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Greetings, Brothers and Sisters.

I have this issue of XXL (in fact, I'm looking at it right now) and to say the least, I was really disgusted at how some of these rappers are being portrayed as "soldiers". What causes are they being arrested for? What sort of message are they being arrested for? I read how the rappers in the interviews got arrested, and there was nothing productive going on about their arrests. Manslaughter, drug possession/trafficking, etc. in the contexts of their stories was just them messing up. I think that it is a slap in the face to all of the people who were arrested for going against what the system wanted and instead held on to their thoughtful yet uncomprimising beliefs.

On another note, I agree with Sister Jahness in which she said, "Accepting all this negative type of images of ourselves is a sickness
      no joke. We have to wake up, because incarceration of our people is destroying our community." The prison life should NOT be gloryfied; if anything, it should be shown as how disgusting and fucked-up it truly is. I think that comes off in the stories that the rappers tell of their life in prison.

I wish that XXL would realize this.

and :cheers:
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Draptomania is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

http://www.assatashakur.org/forums/u...ighlight=leash

If you look at the link from this forum regarding the above pic, you MIGHT be as infuriated as I was at how many people think things like this are "OK" and how some of us are too "sensitive". I am disgusted about not just the stamp, or "fiddy" and his clique or the above picture, but I am dis-gusted by "our" people who have no problem with it such matters. Where are our MORALS? Our PRIDE?? Why are many of us so whitewashed we have become as cold and callous and de-moralized as our oppressors? Its a damned shame when we gloifly jail, drugs, hoes and rims more than we do the positive. On point again Sis Jahness, RecoveringAA and WombmanIsis, Asante Sana for the post.

~Insert profound statement here~

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by ThaAlchemist

I have this issue of XXL (in fact, I'm looking at it right now) and to say the least, I was really disgusted at how some of these rappers are being portrayed as "soldiers". What causes are they being arrested for? What sort of message are they being arrested for? I read how the rappers in the interviews got arrested, and there was nothing productive going on about their arrests. Manslaughter, drug possession/trafficking, etc. in the contexts of their stories was just them messing up. I think that it is a slap in the face to all of the people who were arrested for going against what the system wanted and instead held on to their thoughtful yet uncomprimising beliefs.

On another note, I agree with Sister Jahness in which she said, "Accepting all this negative type of images of ourselves is a sickness
      no joke. We have to wake up, because incarceration of our people is destroying our community." The prison life should NOT be gloryfied; if anything, it should be shown as how disgusting and fucked-up it truly is. I think that comes off in the stories that the rappers tell of their life in prison.

XXL won't do nothing about it until we stop buying their junk. Their god and their rappers god is the dollar... they wont stop worshipping their god unless we stop supplying it.
      Peace

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Draptomania

If you look at the link from this forum regarding the above pic, you MIGHT be as infuriated as I was at how many people think things like this are "OK" and how some of us are too "sensitive". I am disgusted about not just the stamp, or "fiddy" and his clique or the above picture, but I am dis-gusted by "our" people who have no problem with it such matters. Where are our MORALS? Our PRIDE?? Why are many of us so whitewashed we have become as cold and callous and de-moralized as our oppressors? Its a damned shame when we gloifly jail, drugs, hoes and rims more than we do the positive. On point again Sis Jahness, RecoveringAA and WombmanIsis, Asante Sana for the post.

I saw this pic and was disgusted by it. We buy our own "chains",rap about how many times we been shot,kill a nigga this kill a nigga that,pose in pictures as the one you have shown.But we wanna get mad at the mexicans but wont even look in the mirror at ourselves.

rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by WombanIsis
      This is right there on the money!!! I'm with you WombanIsis!!!

P.S. Thanks for posting that article Jahness!!!

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Revolutionary greetings ThaAlchemist!

As usual you are right on point. These so called self haters are not soldiers. They are putting themseves and their followers in danger by continuing to make the so called irresponsible gangsta life they are living acceptable.

The youths of today are falling for this madness hook, line and sinker. When will we as a community stop accepting this nonsense as our birthright.

So many of our sons and daughters are now so called prison soldiers, with no focus as to why they are locked up or how to go about changing their behavior to make sure they don't fall victim to this stupid lifestyle again.

It is not a badge of honor for Afrikans to be in prison defending nothing but yt's materials of status and brand names, while they kill and maime each other causing more grief and expense to their families.

Then when they end up in jail, they all have good intentions on how they will change when they get out, which only lasts as long as it takes for them to meet up with the next wannabe gangsta to start the sick cycle all over again.

XXL won't do anything about it, because it makes money from the nonsense. They probably won't even donate 50 cents to help buy a pen for one of these inmates to write home to their families.

Much appreciation my brother for your valuable input!

Peace & Blessings!

If you fail to prepare,

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

They probably won't even donate 50 cents to help buy a pen for one of these inmates to write home to their families.
      I wonder if I am the only one that caught that? $)
      But yes, it is true, Sister Jahness.

Now that I think about it, maybe this annual issue of XXL could be beneficial in a way; if XXL was to go the route and say "rappers behind bars" or "rappers who f-ed up" instead of calling them "soldiers", that could take away from the glorification and possibly tell these youngsters that this is a life that they do NOT want to lead.

I appreciate everyone's comments on the issue (no pun intended).

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

I wonder if I am the only one that caught that? $)
      But yes, it is true, Sister Jahness.

Now that I think about it, maybe this annual issue of XXL could be beneficial in a way; if XXL was to go the route and say "rappers behind bars" or "rappers who f-ed up" instead of calling them "soldiers", that could take away from the glorification and possibly tell these youngsters that this is a life that they do NOT want to lead.

I appreciate everyone's comments on the issue (no pun intended).

Greetings ThaAlchemist!

I knew you would catch that :o The points you make about
      XXL are good ones.

XXL should take charge and do the responsible thing in making
      sure the youths understand that being incerated is no joke.

Of course it would help by if they took the glamour out of being
      locked up. When magazines like XXL show being locked up is cool,
      this is when the youths get a double message that is wrong.

Knowing the plight of our people in prison, how can XXL even do that
      to the youth. In my humble opinion that is nothing but being irrsponsible towards our community, while they rob us of the necessary finances that
      will help us bulid and reform our communities.

Again I agree with you. XXL should let the youths know that prison is not fun, and that should not be a goal of every ghetto youth to be in prison. It definitely is not the life our young men and women should waant to live.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.

Peace & Blessings!

If you fail to prepare,

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Draptomania

Greetings Draptomania!

I agree with you. Too many of our people think, that pictures
      like the one we are speaking about is ok. They think it's
      humorous.

I simply cannot see what can be funny or the slightest bit
      entertaining about a white girl with a noose around a blackman's
      neck advocating he is the most whipped.

Even worse yet, I cannot believe that this brother is sitting there
      profiling for the picture as if it's nothing.

It's things like this that lets us all know how miseducated we as a
      people still are, and how much work we still have to do to shed the
      mental shackles of oppression.

Thanks for sharing sis and for allowing me to share with you also.

Peace & blessings!

If you fail to prepare,

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

If you think that picture was bad...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information