Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Thank You Bro. Kanye West...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      This piece was taken directly from blackelectorate.com

Soular-NRG.
      -------------------------------------------

THANK YOU, KANYE! by Fanon Che Wilkins, Ph.D.

Barely a week after rapper/producer Kanye West appeared on the cover of Time Magazine and was branded "the smartest man in hip-hop,: he did, what many believed to be the unthinkable. West used the platform of the NBC sponsored Hurricane Katrina Relief Effort Live Telethon to tell the world that racist media images were depicting Black people as "looters" and whites as "finders" of food and basic necessities.

West’s comments echoed what many have been saying for days after Associated Press images circulated on the Internet with captions describing whites as "finding" and Black’s as "looting".

Visibly nervous, West declared that he found it difficult to watch the news because the overwhelming majority of those facing the harshest consequences from the hurricane and its aftermath were Black. After acknowledging the noble deeds of the Red Cross, West told the world that the recently deployed National Guard and Marines were given permission to shoot and kill "us." Indeed, Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco told reporters that the National Guard had M16s that were "locked and loaded." "They know how to kill; they are more than willing to kill, and they will kill," the stern Governor declared.

West was no fool. He made the connection between racist media images and how those depictions would structure the relationship between the military and those labeled as "looters." For West, the dye was cast for the victims to be further victimized by the media and those purportedly there to help. Even more profoundly, West said that America was "set up to help the poor, the Black people, the less well-off, as slow as possible", linking the Bush Administration’s neglect and failure to act, with larger systemic problems rooted in the American body politic.

NBC predictably distanced itself from West’s remarks, stating that "the telecast was a live television event wrought with emotion," and that "…West departed from the scripted comments that were prepared for him, and his opinions in no way represent the views of the networks." The network went on to say "it would be most unfortunate if the efforts of the artists who participated tonight and the generosity of millions of Americans who are helping those in need are overshadowed by one person's opinion."

The desperation of people stranded and homeless in the Gulf region demanded such a vociferous response. Indeed West’s outburst has been vindicated by the voices of those describing the situation there. One man declared that the National Guard was treating them like "rats" in the New Orleans Superdome while others sat in anguish waiting for help that was said to be on the way, but nowhere to be seen. The ghastly scenes of people lying in squalor, dying in the streets and of babies too weak to cry proved over and over again that "the Louis Vuitton Don" (one of Kanye’s rap monikers) was not off the mark.

Kanye West knew that the NBC platform was a precious opportunity to cut the charade and challenge the Federal Government for its failures in New Orleans. Instinctively knowing that only a few seconds remained, a steely eyed Kanye summed up his sentiments in seven words: "Bush does not care about Black people!"

This was a bold move for an artist at the top of a career that few could ever dream of. Though celebrities have criticized the Bush Administration for the so-called "war on terror" and its dastardly militarism in the Middle East, few have been as sharp and direct as West. In standard hip-hop fashion he did not mince his words and stay married to the script. When the stakes were as high as the water was to the necks of those still trapped in their attics across New Orleans, Kanye West presented one of the greatest freestyles ever produced for a live audience. In the tradition of Louis Armstrong and all the great jazz improvisers, West stated what was immediately on his heart and for this we must applaud him.

For many, Kanye’s remarks were shocking and uncalled for. Katrina was a natural disaster that the Feds had simply underestimated. In an age of political correctness West’s opinions were simply wrong. After all, the Bush Administration declared that this was not a time to "play politics." But West, one of our shining geniuses from the "City of Chi" knows that politics was always in play. He, unlike the Bush Administration, also knew that time was of the essence. Desperate times call for sharp clear thinking people to step up to the plate and speak truth to power. Thank God that Time Magazine alerted those who didn’t yet know it that Kanye West is one of the smartest among us.

Fanon Che Wilkins is an Assistant Professor of History and African American Studies and Research Program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and can be reached at fanonche@uiuc.edu
      "When you do your homework, you can come out of any corner."--Baba Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"Any leadership that teaches you to depend upon another race is a leadership that will enslave you."--Marcus Mosiah Garvey

"But my spirit is growing in sevens."--Saul Williams.

"Backstage whisperin' to management, like 'change the order, there's no way that we can rock after THEM!'"--Black Thought.

QueenWarriorNefertari is offline QUEEN CYNEQUA

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow Give thanks Brother.

Give thanks for sharing this, Brotha.

I already loved Kanye for quite a few things, but this Really sent me his way. I'm so loving what he said, how he said it, the whole entire thing!

Noone else had/has the balls to do such a thing; not since our leaders of yesteryear. He had a little piece of Marcus, Malcolm and onward pushing through his spirit in that moment.

Beautiful.
      Black Beyond Belief
      QUEEN BE AFROHEMIAN.

Tehuti-4 is offline Atef Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/1

Thumbs down Boot lickin kneegrows

Master P and Usher step up in defense of Bush calling out Kanye for his criticisms of the resident of the US.
      The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed.

Mekeda7 is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 4/0

Kanye West Remix: George Bush Don't Care About Black People

Hear the new Hurricain K protest remix of Kanye West's "Gold Digger"
      Link to "George Bush Don't Like Black People" MP3 (8.7MB).
      http://www.archive.org/download/Geor...lackPeople.mp3

The internets have had their way with Kanye West's new single "Gold Digger." An ass-kicking protest remix is now online at FWMJ -- it features Kanye's infamous "George Bush doesn't care are about black people" quote, and skewers the Bush administration's response to Hurricane Katrina.

Five days in this motherfucking attic
      I can't use the cellphone I keep getting static
      Dying 'cause they lying instead of telling us the truth (...)
      Screwed 'cause they say they're coming back for us, too
      but that was three days ago and I don't see no rescue(...)
      Swam to the store, tryin' to look for food
      Corner store's kinda flooded so I broke my way through
      Got what I could but before I got through
      News say the police shot a black man trying to loot

Remixed by The Legendary K.O, Words by Big Mon and Damien a/k/a Dem Knock-Out Boyz.

Album cover 3rd one down here, more details here. (Thanks, feverish, and mo, via fwmj.com)
      http://www.boingboing.net/2005/09/08...ye_remixe.html

Adioukrou Queen Mother, Ivory Coast

Learn Afrikan Languages Online:
      http://www.abibtumikasa.com/Akan_Class_Information.php

To Be An Afrikan Woman is to:
      *Be life Affirming
      *Be in partnership with an Afrikan man
      *Be a political organizer
      *Speak for the Ancestors
      *Be An Advocate for Afrika
      *Exert Influence
      *Be a Healer
      *Function As Part of a Collective
      *Be a Scientist of the Sacred
      *Be Divine

-Marimba Ani

Nesayem is offline Afrika Is In You

Thumbs Up/Down

in agreement

Peace,
      Yeah brother Tehuti, I read that also about Master P and Usher. Well I guess we cant all go around upseting Massa' tellin him what we think. Standing up for our community. This situation has really made me think about Nat Turner. When he was ready for warfare, how many people would not rebel because they were afraid? It's crazy how in 2005, some people are still afraid.

OneSelf is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Brotha kanye is a "genius." He made his statement right around the same time he his album come out. His record sales cruised to over 950,000 after his on air act. Its not like he is infamous for being self absorbed and a Hypocrite you know.

Moorish Rebel is offline Nkrumah-Tureist

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

I salute Kanye West "revolutionary style" for his comments. He went on television and said what many entertainers would be scared to say..Right on Kanye West (raises a fist)...but I'm real curious to what Usher and Master P said exactly in defending Bush...either way, I lost whatever respect I had for them two negroes. Even though I'm not a fan of any of their music.
      Forward to ONE Unified Liberated Africa

Nesayem is offline Afrika Is In You

Thumbs Up/Down

Moorish,
      I was just on a hip-hop site and now Usher is trying to take back those comments he made about Kanye. Funny how situations change huh.

Brother Tarikh is offline RA'S SUN!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Nesayem02
      Moorish,
      I was just on a hip-hop site and now Usher is trying to take back those comments he made about Kanye. Funny how situations change huh.
      Alafia,

Apparently, someone in charge of their image (most likely, some cracker) informed them that it might not be "urban" or "street" to condemn a Black man expressing rage and dismay at what is happening to Black people.

We will stay tune.

Stiff Resistance!

Soular-NRG.
      "When you do your homework, you can come out of any corner."--Baba Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"Any leadership that teaches you to depend upon another race is a leadership that will enslave you."--Marcus Mosiah Garvey

"But my spirit is growing in sevens."--Saul Williams.

"Backstage whisperin' to management, like 'change the order, there's no way that we can rock after THEM!'"--Black Thought.

BORN-7od is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I just hope Kanye is sincere in his thoughts, and not as a publicity stunt to raise his record sales.. And to Master P and Usher, foot shuffling, corn bread making, banjo playing house Negroes, and to all those other lost Negroes still think they're AmeriKKKan and she cares about you. Why do they call you a refugee in New Orleans... Whats the meaning of a refugee?, Do the knowledge. still think you AmeriKKKan.
      this life and death cylce, got me at my window with the rifle like Malcolm X and Stokley Carmicheal!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nattyreb is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

Well said, cuz what Kanye said wasn't anything most black folx haven't been thinking and feeling. For the attack to come so strong just shows how we ain't hearing much of anything of substance outta our folx mouths when given access to the mainstream media mic. i believe his very simple statement was the main impetus behind Bush rushing down there to practically molest those 2 black women while doing a presser, for his approval rating to drop so dramatically, and of course for Condoleeza to very specifically puppet how her "Bush cares about all people and did all he could" (i wonder how she feels now that even Bush said he didn't do ish... never mind, i already know, she feels nothing.)

That West's words to this very day are still echoing throughout mainstream media proves that the power of truth is final. i respectfully disagree with those who wonder if this is just a publicity stunt, he was already on the cover of Time and is offering his CD up free on his website. That emotion he was expressing was real, IMO.

Out of curiousity i went to contactmusic.com to get the actual quotes by Usher & Master P, i'd be interested in reading "Ur-sher's" backing down of his position, as well.
      =====

*“Nip Tuck” star Kelly Carlson thinks Kanye West was way off the mark with his “George Bush doesn’t care about black people” comment uttered last week during a Hurricane Katrina telethon. "I don't think a lot of people this day and age dislike black people. I mean I think we've kind of moved on from that,” Carlson said, reports Contact Music. "So, to go on television and say that, I think it's tacky, I think it's very low rent."

*R&B star Usher is also speaking out against Kanye West, believing a live telethon just wasn’t the right time to voice such a sentiment. "I wasn't mad at Kanye's statement - that's his opinion - but it's obviously not the opportunity or the time to poke fun or appoint blame. This is an opportunity where we all need to come together - musicians, actors, politicians - and help the Gulf region."

*Master P thinks that Kanye West may have said those choice words against President Bush in order to generate buzz for his new album, “Late Registration,” which was released four days following Friday’s telethon. "I hope the comments that Kanye West made is sincere and this is not a promotional thing to sell records," Master P told WENN. "I know he's got a new album out right now." P, a New Orleans native who has been personally affected by the tragedy, urges entertainers speaking out to focus on what’s important. "We gotta save people. We need George Bush, we need the Mayor (of New Orleans), we need the (Louisiana) Governor," Master P said. "I've lost people, I know how real it is. This ain't about a promotional thing with me. I've got loved ones out there missing."

*Defending himself Friday on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” West said his comments were “the least” he could do for the victims.

"People have lost their lives, lost their families. It's the least I could do to go up there and say something from my heart, to say something that's real," he said.

Although actor Mike Myers looked like a deer in the headlights as West ignored the teleprompter, the rapper said he gave Myers the heads up.

"I told Mike 'Yo, I'm going to ad lib a little bit,'" West told DeGeneres. "I went up to Chris Tucker and said 'Get ready for live TV.'"

Meanwhile, the artist has announced that he will launch his own clothing line in the spring.

He said: "The only dream I have had is to produce a gold album and win a Grammy. When I was 14 years old and was thinking about being a rapper, I was not really thinking about fashion first.

"Now that I have a Grammy under my belt and (my new album) “Late Registration” is finished, I am ready to launch my clothing line next spring."

Quote Originally Posted by Nesayem02
      Peace,
      Yeah brother Tehuti, I read that also about Master P and Usher. Well I guess we cant all go around upseting Massa' tellin him what we think. Standing up for our community. This situation has really made me think about Nat Turner. When he was ready for warfare, how many people would not rebel because they were afraid? It's crazy how in 2005, some people are still afraid.

nattyreb is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

i heard this on the radio a few days ago, i was asking my son who it was cuz it is so well done. Asante sana!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by nattyreb
      i heard this on the radio a few days ago, i was asking my son who it was cuz it is so well done. Asante sana!

Wow, it was on the radio!? I don't listen to the radio or watch tv often.

http://www.abibtumikasa.com/Akan_Class_Information.php

To Be An Afrikan Woman is to:
      *Be life Affirming
      *Be in partnership with an Afrikan man
      *Be a political organizer
      *Speak for the Ancestors
      *Be An Advocate for Afrika
      *Exert Influence
      *Be a Healer
      *Function As Part of a Collective
      *Be a Scientist of the Sacred
      *Be Divine

-Marimba Ani

DJ RBG is offline S1W-Insurgent

Thumbs Up/Down

Fuck Dumbya and his ugly ass momma

Kanye West "The Remix"
      " Fried, Baked, Grilled, Boiled Or Smoked, The Only Good Pig, Is A Dead Pig...Fuck The Holice!!!"

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by DJ RBG
      Fuck Dumbya and his ugly ass momma

???

Quote Originally Posted by DJ RBG
      thanks for this link DJ RBG