Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 7/0

A conscious voice: an interview with Erykah Badu

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      A conscious voice: an interview with Erykah Badu - Part 1
      by JR, Minister of Info of the POCC
      http://www.sfbayview.com/091405/conc...ce091405.shtml

Before the genocidal disaster that some call Hurricane Katrina, but we call Hurricane Amerikkka, since Amerikkkan policy made it disastrous for Black people, I hooked up with Erykah Badu at the Center Principle Institute in North Oakland where she was doing a community meet and greet. Badu is known for her consciously coded lyrics as well as her involvement in community activities with Black organizations like the Prisoners of Conscience Committee all over the world.

When she stopped in Oakland, I took the opportunity to talk to one of Black music’s biggest voices about the cases of POCC political prisoner Aaron Patterson and Black Panther/Black Liberation Army political exile Assata Shakur. Check her out and be on the lookout for Part 2 …

JR: On July 29, Minister of Defense Aaron Patterson of the POCC was convicted of trumped up gun and drug charges. I know that you have worked with Minister of Defense Aaron and Chairman Fred of the POCC on numerous occasions personally. What are your thoughts on the issue?

EB: Basically it is a mystery to us all, because we don’t really know everything that was going on in the case. The case is basically closed. The other day Chairman Fred called me and told me that they wouldn’t even let him sit in the courtroom. So I was waiting for his call, and he called back maybe 25 minutes later and said that he (Aaron) had been convicted of all of the charges.

I’m still waiting for some kind of explanation or something, but I think that the community should question this and not let this pass because this goes on too much. I have the same feelings and thoughts that every other mother in that neighborhood has. I don’t know brotha, what can you say? I just don’t know the answer right now, because we’ve done everything. We’ve marched. We’ve fought. We’re armed. We’ve prayed.

Right now I’m beginning to see that it’s a bigger mission than we can ever imagine. Personally I feel that Brotha Aaron’s case needs to be brought before the people. And it has not, and we don’t know what’s going on.

JR: On May 2, there was a million dollar bounty put on her head. I know that you’ve done a lot of work on political prisoners’ cases around the country and even internationally, with you being a woman souljah in our Movement and her being a woman souljah in our Movement. What are you thoughts on Assata’s case?

EB: It’s hard to say because I’ve talked with Assata personally about her case. She has her own personal feelings about her case and the injustice that she has been served along with all of the other political prisoners. I’ve been given two kinds of advice from Assata in the past couple of years. The first advice that was given from her was to learn from what they did, and how they did it.

She said that she was very young when she became a member of the Black Panther Party. She said that she wanted to move very quickly to make change, but she also sees that it takes a lot of time and a lot of planning. And I don’t think that she would have done it any differently Now I’m just speaking for her, because she didn’t say this but she sees that what I have is a bigger platform.

She knows, just like I know, that music is bigger than religion, it’s bigger than politics, it’s bigger than any kind of organization that you could move people with. And I’m going to, as like you said a warrior in this struggle, as a woman, move the people through the vibration of music. Through the frequencies of music, you could kind of like go back to the old days in Kemet. They used to have us doing hessies.

Hessies are like prayers or chants that you say over and over again. That’s what music is too. In this struggle as musicians, everything that we say is a political statement, so we have to make sure that we’re saying the right things. And I’ve learned from Assata’s case. Her story gives me the strength to do this because she endured physical pain that she, I guess, put up on her own self in order to help free our people.

And she would probably give anything to be able to see her children and, you know, to be a mother and a grandmother, but she as a warrior knew that her life was to take that direction, and I admire her strength and her sincerity. It’s pure to me, because it’s natural for me to do that same thing. My mother every day cries for me, and I haven’t even began to do anything yet, because she senses, you know, something.

Email JR at blockreportradio@yahoo.com.
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Skou Tour

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Medasse Pa for this Post
      Peace Ifayomi
      Osunkoya-Ifayomi
      formerly known as Kwaku

Aiye loja Orun Nile O
      Earth is a marketplace Heaven is home
      http://ileiwosanorunmilamimotemple.freeservers.com/

RecoveringAA is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

Greetings of Afreekan Love

I am Joanie, a RE~covering Afreekan ameirkkkan and Re~presentative from the Voices in the Margins.

I'm the Truth,

Akpe for this BlackNificeNt article. I'm waiting for part 2.

I agree with Erika.....the message is in the music and the message is the music. Use the music to teach, preach and reach...."the people"

Akpe for allowing me to share

BlackMic Radio is offline Station Terrorist

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Talking

Thats my Warrior Queen... steady on the grind..
      Be Sure To Tune Into Our Very Own BlackMic Radio or bring ya mic and holla at ya boy in voice chat www.blackmic.com/chat

Thread Information