Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

View Poll Results: What Is the Biggest Crisis Facing Women in the Afrikan Diaspora?

Voters
    20. You may not vote on this poll
    • HIV/AIDS

1 5.00%
    • Obesity

2 10.00%
    • Diabetes

0 0%
    • Heart Disease/Hypertension/Stroke

0 0%
    • Reproductive Cancers (Breast, Ovarian, Cervical, etc.)

0 0%
    • Inadequate Prenatal Care

0 0%
    • Unhealthy Diet

4 20.00%
    • Illegal Drug/Cigarette/Alcohol Use

0 0%
    • Other

3 15.00%
    • All of the Above

11 55.00%
    Multiple Choice Poll.
      Nia Imani is offline Purpose Faith

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

What Is the Biggest Health Crisis Facing Women in the Afrikan Diaspora?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      In your opinion, what is the biggest crisis facing women in the Afrikan diaspora?

JemChi is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I think obesity is one the biggest crisis facing our Sistahs.

Sun Ship is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

Quote Originally Posted by JemChi View Post
      I think obesity is one the biggest crisis facing our Sistahs.
      I agree! I would also add that the actual medical establishment itself has Black women in a health crisis.

Though Black women tend to see doctors more than Black men, this has other unforeseen negative consequences. Black women are being put on all types of pharmaceuticals and given the most radical choices to deal with their ailments and diseases. The HIV=AIDS enigma is being directed towards the further mishandling the health of Black women, as we start to see there is a lot of unrevealed bad science and research being used to diagnose Black women overall health.

All of this with various other stresses may eventually affect Black women mental and physical health in ways yet to be realized.

And lot of times since Black women have historically been known to be so mentally tenacious and spiritual strong we don't look at how this anti-African, misogynistic, and anti-Black child society is attacking the mental health of many single Black women, and especially those with children.

Peace

JemChi is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Obesity

Yes another thing is the diet that many single Sistahs with families provide for them. Too many times Sistahs are feeding our children very dangerous foods an abundance, Fast foods, frozen dinners, microwavable, artificial foods, etc. etc. As were consuming these foods there is little or no excercise being done which is causing an enormous hike in obesity among young children and women.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by JemChi View Post
      Yes another thing is the diet that many single Sistahs with families provide for them. Too many times Sistahs are feeding our children very dangerous foods an abundance, Fast foods, frozen dinners, microwavable, artificial foods, etc. etc. As were consuming these foods there is little or no excercise being done which is causing an enormous hike in obesity among young children and women.

Sister JemChi
      , as you added your comments about certain unhealthy foods; it made me want to include a comment about processed foods. Even when we are eating supposedly natural, organic, and even vegetarian foods there is tendency for too many of us to choose the same “easy way out” as those who eat the foods you described in your post, by eating too much prepackaged and processed foods that are labeled natural and healthy, or are obtained from a natural foods grocery store.

Also, I want to add something seemingly controversial and hard to factor. As I was talking to several Sisters about the overall mental and social health of our community and especially that of Black women, their seems to be an nonfactoring or ignored issue of the growing number of single Black women, be they with children or not, and the ever growing and alarming numbers of Black men both young and older almost (if not actually) being permanently removed as functioning members of the community, which is exacerbating an gender imbalance that may also be having a very direct or even indirect affect on the overall natural health of Black women and even their children.

It’s one thing for a woman to be without a man, but it’s another thing for Black women to be in an almost perpetual state of a manless existence as Black men as life partners or mates are becoming as rare as “hen teeth”. I think our community is in very strong denial about the ongoing and possible future social, mental health, and most importantly physiological ramifications of this most unusual and unnatural phenomenon.

Peace

JOSIE is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Ship View Post

Sister JemChi
      , as you added your comments about certain unhealthy foods; it made me want to include a comment about processed foods. Even when we are eating supposedly natural, organic, and even vegetarian foods there is tendency for too many of us to choose the same “easy way out” as those who eat the foods you described in your post, by eating too much prepackaged and processed foods that are labeled natural and healthy, or are obtained from a natural foods grocery store.

Also, I want to add something seemingly controversial and hard to factor. As I was talking to several Sisters about the overall mental and social health of our community and especially that of Black women, their seems to be an nonfactoring or ignored issue of the growing number of single Black women, be they with children or not, and the ever growing and alarming numbers of Black men both young and older almost (if not actually) being permanently removed as functioning members of the community, which is exacerbating an gender imbalance that may also be having a very direct or even indirect affect on the overall natural health of Black women and even their children.

It’s one thing for a woman to be without a man, but it’s another thing for Black women to be in an almost perpetual state of a manless existence as Black men as life partners or mates are becoming as rare as “hen teeth”. I think our community is in strong denial about the ongoing and possible future social, mental health, and most importantly physiological ramifications of this unusual and unnatural phenomenon.

Peace
      Yes besides the obvious increased rate of obesity, mental health is next in line or maybe should be 1st in line and could be considered part of the cause of obesity. Woman have self esteem issues big time! The hip hop culture mixed with the flexability of traditions and values in America has molded our women and men into having less respect for themselves, and almost completely eliminated family values. Yet most people claim to have a religion of family values but all they do is religiously endulge in poisioning brainwahsing entertainment and monkey see monkey do. You know what I mean?

L.T.P.F.J. is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

african women in the african diaspora

the biggest crisis in the african womens reality is the lack of REAL african men. this causes unstability in the home front equalling (in some instances) lowered expectations when in a relationship with males (in my estimation). also the lack of african male surety and knowlege of self translates into wealer individuals that dont build and defend their women leaving them without a grerat portion of their being, resulting in an incomplete african women..... in addition the governing institution who institute deadly -genetically grafted- foods (inturn diabetes high cholestrol colin cancer -that does wonders- and generally leaves the immune system weak and unable to protect from other physical harm) hiv/aids, a educational system that has no intentions to educate the robbed spoiled sons and daughters of africa. there are a laundry list of issues that one could name but at the top of list will be the lack of REAL african men who dont build and defend their african women.
      (in my estimation)

L.T.P.F.J.
      Emancipation Proclamation brought an end to slavery,
      but did not bring an end to the suffering...

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by JOSIE View Post
      Yes besides the obvious increased rate of obesity, mental health is next in line or maybe should be 1st in line and could be considered part of the cause of obesity. Woman have self esteem issues big time! The hip hop culture mixed with the flexability of traditions and values in America has molded our women and men into having less respect for themselves, and almost completely eliminated family values. Yet most people claim to have a religion of family values but all they do is religiously endulge in poisioning brainwahsing entertainment and monkey see monkey do. You know what I mean?
      I had wrote something rather lengthy on this whole idea of values in America, but I’ll say this much. There have never been any moral or ethical values in America that Black women could function totally holistically, naturally, and productively in. Even long after slavery church-going white men were still lynching their husbands and sons, while raping them and their daughters.

Now we see the same assault of the Black community and family fostered in the same context of American values. And because Americanism is so inflexible, is the reason Black cultural life has exploded into mayhem as it searches for some form of identity or refuge where it can explore all of it’s unique virtues. Even when we try to redeem ourselves by designing our own unique social construct, either we always unknowingly operate using and including in part the socio-psychology and cultural sensitivities of others, or find ourselves eventually slowly moving back to the familiar (which was what we were attempting to get away from).

I had a young sister once tell me, “you ever heard of a rebel without a cause? She said, well I’m a rebel without a clue!” When you suppress and oppress ones nature and freedom, without guidance it will eventually explode in all types of pathological, deviant, and perverse ways.

Peace

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

African men and women have to build together and for each other

Quote Originally Posted by L.T.P.F.J. View Post
      the biggest crisis in the african womens reality is the lack of REAL african men. this causes unstability in the home front equalling (in some instances) lowered expectations when in a relationship with males (in my estimation). also the lack of african male surety and knowlege of self translates into wealer individuals that dont build and defend their women leaving them without a grerat portion of their being, resulting in an incomplete african women..... in addition the governing institution who institute deadly -genetically grafted- foods (inturn diabetes high cholestrol colin cancer -that does wonders- and generally leaves the immune system weak and unable to protect from other physical harm) hiv/aids, a educational system that has no intentions to educate the robbed spoiled sons and daughters of africa. there are a laundry list of issues that one could name but at the top of list will be the lack of REAL african men who dont build and defend their african women.
      (in my estimation)

L.T.P.F.J.
      You have said a lot that bears truth.

You just need to understand that the absence of Black men in the home has become a vicious cycle that has no definable beginning or end. Both Black women and men bought into various social concepts that made their way into the Black psyche, home, and community after it was damaged by years of attack, neglect, and oppression. And oppression is more than just Jim Crow and lynching. After years of letting outsiders, cultural and poverty pimps, misguided white liberals, and other interlocutors get into our mix, we have yet to design any intentional communities that will totally alleviate our social ills, or work for our own unique circumstances

We forget that the government made a concerted effort to solidify the white family especially after WWII. From the media, to credit institutions, the founding and development of suburbia, and to labor unions, the functional white middle class nuclear family was an intentional effort and design. Black men (and poor Black women) have been like wandering nomads in America trying to scratch out a reality in a socio-cultural construct that was not designed to foster sedentary Black family life.

It will take both the Black man and woman equally to reevaluate why they are so far apart and have allowed our natural family constructs to be continually so distorted and manipulated.

Peace

Thumbs Up/Down

lack of unity and the failure to recognize the strength and power they have in the basics of their common cultural heritage.

BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I chose all of the above because our bodies are so much more than flesh,blood and bones. A black woman's body is the vessel in which the lives of our precious children are protected until their arrival in a world full of chaos and insanity. A black woman's body must always be treated with great respect and dignity. We cannot allow evil forces to dominate our minds and bodies. We must reclaim our sacred temples.
      All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishment of an African Empireso strong and powerful, as to compel the respect of mankind, but we in our life-time can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility within another generation.-Marcus Garvey

Elisa Keisha is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

i voted unhealthy diet, for it includes many of the others: obesity, diabetes, cancer and even emotional sickness. but its all a circle, people dont eat trash for no reason. and the reason women eat trash most of the time is the same reason they engage in trashy relationship, they use drugs, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...

Elisa Marvena Nyarai

SANKOFA Asociacin Cultural
      www.myspace.com/sankofacultura
      http://sankofacultura.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa Keisha View Post
      i voted unhealthy diet, for it includes many of the others: obesity, diabetes, cancer and even emotional sickness. but its all a circle, people dont eat trash for no reason. and the reason women eat trash most of the time is the same reason they engage in trashy relationship, they use drugs, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...
      well put and on point... let me second what you have so insightfully said...

The dietary problem of Black women and their children cannot be under or overstated.

After being privy to the ongoing business at a Black-owned confectionery in the heart of an impoverished Black community it was amazing and appalling to see what our children and their mothers were spending their food money on literally all day long, as they were trying to satisfy their cravings and some degree their appetite on snacks and high fructose fruit drinks. Even the storeowner’s can and dry goods sat month after month collecting dust (soups, beans, rice and so forth), and he dared not bought any vegetables or produce, which would have rotted in a few days. The Brother who owned the store wanted to buy and invest in healthier foods but it was obvious from a business stand point it would have been a challenge, for he already had a hard time competing against the Arab-owned stores in the community that had their liquor licenses (for he did not sell liquor).

Mental health and physical health as it applies to diet is a conundrum when one asks which one enhances the other most, or which one can destroy the other most. In our community the mental health of our women has physical consequences, with both having our Women and children fiend for very addicted junk foods that have an almost drug-like quality, and effect on the mind and body. And then once the cycle begins, the food has a direct effect back toward the physical and psychological well being of the consumer.

I don’t think we can get our women to make the major changes needed in their dietary habits that would induce optimal health without properly identifying, reevaluating, and altering the most important factors that are making Black women use food as a narcotic. The solutions will obviously involve the mind and body, as well as the spiritual and sexual dimensions of ones wholeness.

Remember... there is no spoon...

Nefertiti is offline TOO BLACK TOO STRONG!!!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 5/0

Lightbulb

Mental Health and obesity would have to be a combined no.1 for me The lack of knowledge of where we stand as black women, and how to take care of ourselves And children and our black man and community...Because when we take care of theses here, the community is upheld with us being in it

Thread Information