Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Man shoots a young black man over egg throwing

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Murder count filed in egging shooting
      Death penalty won't be sought, prosecutor says

By Jordan Schrader
      jordan.schrader@indystar.com

The man accused of killing a 15-year-old boy he thought threw eggs at his truck was formally charged Wednesday with murder and other crimes that could send him to prison for up to 82 years.

Prosecutors charged Donald E. Ware, 37, Avon, with the July 24 death of Brandon Dunson on the Far Westside. Ware also faces a charge of battery in the wounding of another boy and two counts of criminal recklessness stemming from gunfire at other teens, all of whom were apparently involved in the prank.

Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi also said the teens involved in the egg-throwing prank might face charges of criminal mischief, a misdemeanor. If charged, they would be tried in juvenile court.

"They were doing something they obviously shouldn't have been doing," he said. "They should be held accountable in proportion to what they did."

Brandon was with a group of boys who threw eggs at cars in the area of Rockville and Girls School roads. Officials say Ware, whose pickup was one of the pranksters' targets, chased the boys through a parking lot and fired at them from his truck.

A few hours later, Brandon was found dead, shot in the back.

Brizzi said Wednesday he would not pursue the death penalty for Ware. Prosecutors have grown reluctant to file for the death penalty because the process is so drawn out and the outcome is far from certain.

In this case, no circumstances exist that would clear the way for seeking the death penalty. Examples of such legal grounds would include a killing committed during another crime, such as rape or carjacking; killing a child 12 or younger; or the slaying of a police officer.

"I am absolutely pursuing the strictest recourse possible," Brizzi said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
      And the death penalty will NOT be sought??? That's bullshyt. Many eyewitnesses said he didnt even throw eggs at this dude

~Insert profound statement here~

Draptomania is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Murder trial centers on egging
      Avon man is charged with shooting teen after eggs struck truck

By Kevin Corcoran

Marion County prosecutors on Monday began slowly building their case against an Avon man accused of fatally shooting a 15-year-old boy he thought had thrown eggs at his pickup.
      As the Marion Superior Court trial opened, Sheriff's Deputy Tracy Nash testified that he spoke briefly with Donald E. Ware, 37, on July 24 when he responded to a 911 call that teens were throwing eggs at passing vehicles near Rockville and Girls School roads.

Nash said Ware was driving a red Ford pickup and that Ware, who had egg plastered on the side of his head, pointed him in the direction the egg-throwers had run before leaving the Far-Westside intersection without identifying himself.
      Defense attorney Kathleen M. Sweeney suggested in her opening argument that Ware was trying to help police.
      But hours later, Nash said, he interviewed a woman whose car also was egged at the same intersection. Nash testified she had spoken with a man driving a pickup like Ware's who had been egged and told her he had a rifle with him.
      Nash testified he was unaware there had been a shooting when he spoke with Ware.
      No one saw the person who shot the teenager.
      Police also have not found the gun used in the attack. But prosecutors say Ware, an ex-felon with prior drug- and alcohol-related convictions in Marion and Putnam counties, acted suspiciously in the days following the fatal shooting, parking his truck behind his home, telling friends he was scared and rarely venturing out.
      He was charged with murder in the shooting death of Brandon Dunson-Taylor after a Crime Stoppers tip suggested he was the shooter.
      Dunson-Taylor's mother, Ellonia Bickers, sat in the courtroom Monday as her son's friends described how they hatched their egg-throwing plan at a nearby Burger King, then went to a Speedway station to buy the carton.
      Police allege Ware, whose pickup was one of the pranksters' targets, chased the boys through a parking lot and fired at them from his truck. A few hours later, Brandon was found dead, shot in the back and through the heart.
      "In a state of anger, he shot two kids for engaging in some juvenile mischief," Deputy Prosecutor Mark Hollingsworth told the jury in opening arguments.
      Ware also faces a charge of battery in connection with the shooting of another boy who had been in the group; two counts of criminal recklessness stemming from gunfire at the other teens, who may have been involved in the prank; and a count of marijuana possession. Ware faces up to 82 years in prison if convicted of all charges.
      Marion Superior Court Judge Grant Hawkins is presiding over the trial. The prosecution could call 20 to 25 witnesses. The defense is expected to call eight to 10. The trial is expected to last at least four days.
      Prosecutors say Lisa Baker was the other driver who spoke with Ware and will be called today to testify. However, defense attorneys have challenged her testimony because before she identified Ware as the man she talked to that night, she identified another man.
      But prosecutors also plan to show the all-white jury of eight men and six women, including two alternates, a videotaped statement Ware gave police acknowledging he was at the scene and had a conversation with a woman that resembles the conversation Baker recalls.
      Ware told police he was struck with the eggs through his pickup's open windows as he slowed the vehicle to get around a mattress in the road near some railroad tracks.
      "I was just going to go around it, and I figured somebody was playing jokes, and then all of a sudden -- bam! -- and I mean I got hit, you know, just busted upside the head. . . . It came through both windows."
      When Ware yelled at the teenagers, most of whom attend Ben Davis High School, "they started mocking me," he told police.
      Ware, who is white, told police, that he used a racial epithet to describe the egg-throwers, some of whom were black. He denied having a gun or shooting at the teenagers, saying he thought they might have been shooting at him.

RecoveringAA is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Hey Sis Draptomania

Medaase pa for the update. I'm interested in hearing the outcome

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Greetings Sis!! I'll stay on top of it

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Egging victim convicted of murder

Egging victim convicted of murder
      avon man could get 79 years for fatally shooting teenager

By Kevin Corcoran

After seven hours of deliberation, a criminal court jury found Donald E. Ware guilty of murder in the death of a 15-year-old youth after an egging incident.
      Ware, 37, showed no emotion as he looked at the jury while the verdict was read.

"Please don't second-guess yourself. Your verdict was well within the evidence," Superior Court Judge Grant Hawkins told the jury.
      Ware faces up to 79 years in prison. His sentencing was scheduled for Dec. 15.
      Relatives of Ware and the teen he killed, Brandon Dunson-Taylor, were quiet when the verdict was announced.
      Speaking for Brandon's family, the boy's great-uncle, Charles Russell, said they were pleased with the verdict. But he also said there was a lesson for teens to avoid the actions that led to the shooting.
      "A child's prank can have consequences that no one could anticipate," Russell said.
      He expressed sympathy toward Ware's family, and Kim Fiscus, Ware's sister, went to members of Brandon's family and apologized, although she was still unhappy with the verdict.
      "I can't stand that the prosecution made it racially motivated," Fiscus said. "Everyone needs to know it was not racially motivated."
      Off to one side, Ware's mother, Donna Ware, proclaimed her son's innocence. "He's done a lot of dumb things, but he would never kill anyone unless it was in self-defense," she said.
      Prosecutors portrayed Ware, who lived in Avon, as a racist motivated by more than anger when he fired a rifle toward a group of youths July 24 near Rockville and Girls School roads.
      Most of the teenagers who had been throwing eggs toward vehicles were black, and Ware, who is white, told police he had yelled racial epithets at them after getting struck in the head with an egg.
      "You know there's a racial component here that's separate and apart from somebody hit him with eggs," Deputy Prosecutor Larry Sells told the jury of seven men and five women. All of the jurors were white.
      Ware, an ex-felon with prior drug- and alcohol-related convictions, did not testify during the four-day trial.
      Defense attorney Jackie Butler acknowledged Ware's slurs and that he chased the youths in his truck.
      But she pointed toward Ware and told the jury, "No one ever saw this man with a gun in his hand." She suggested a man police excluded as a suspect was the likely assailant.
      The prosecution alleged Ware chased the youths through a parking lot and fired at them from his truck. They claim two shell casings were found near a spot where Ware's truck had been.
      Police never recovered the .22-caliber rifle used to shoot Brandon in the back as he ran from the scene. A friend found his body several hours later.
      Ware was also convicted of battery in the shooting of Michael Dyer, 17, and two counts of criminal recklessness in connection with shots fired toward two teenagers who were not injured.
      Prosecutors portrayed Ware's fiancee, Terri Eberwein, as a liar after she took the stand and disavowed statements to police in which she had incriminated Ware. Eberwein had told police Ware returned to their Avon home and told her he had taken shots at the pranksters.
      Eberwein testified she made those statements while in a haze caused by ingesting drugs.
      "I don't think there's a doubt in any of your minds that Terri Eberwein was trying to cover for her fiance of seven years," Sells told jurors.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

A little late but...

Egged driver gets 70 years in killing
      Denying he fatally shot teen, man promises to appeal
      2:53 AM January 7, 2006

By Kevin Corcoran
      kevin.corcoran@indystar.com
      Donald E. Ware, convicted of murdering one teen and wounding another after being hit with a raw egg, vowed to appeal the 70-year prison sentence he received Friday.

Continuing to deny responsibility for the July 24 shooting in which 15-year-old Brandon Dunson-Taylor was killed, Ware also declined to testify during his sentencing hearing.
      Instead, his sister, Kim Fiscus, read aloud from a letter she told the court Ware had written. The note expressed sorrow over Brandon's death.
      "I would not have left him on the ground like his friends did," she quoted Ware as writing.
      To preserve his appeal, Ware, 37, spoke only to tell Marion Superior Court Judge Grant Hawkins he wants to take his case to a higher court.
      At the Indiana Court of Appeals, Ware will protest the guilty verdicts on charges of murder, battery and two counts of criminal recklessness and a sentence that will free him, at the soonest, when he turns 72.
      Ware, a felon with prior drug- and alcohol-related convictions, also chose not to testify at his four-day trial.
      On Friday, Hawkins denied defense motions for a new trial and to set aside the murder verdict in favor of a less-serious voluntary manslaughter charge, more in line with an act committed in "sudden heat." Hawkins said jurors had found beyond a reasonable doubt that Ware was not acting out of control when he fired the shots, and he would not second-guess them.
      Afterward, Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi said he was satisfied.
      "A 70-year sentence is, in essence, a death sentence for Mr. Ware," he said.
      A jury convicted Ware on Dec. 1 of shooting Brandon in the back as the youth ran from the Far-Westside intersection of Rockville and Girls School roads with a group of teenagers. Michael Dyer, 17, was struck in the leg, and both shots came near two other teens who had been throwing eggs that night.
      At trial, prosecutors portrayed Ware as a racist motivated by more than anger when he fired a rifle toward a group of youths. Most of the teenagers who had been throwing eggs toward vehicles were black, and Ware, who is white, told police he had yelled racial epithets at them after getting struck in the head with an egg.
      Ware's sister disputed the portrayal of her brother, who lived in Avon.
      "No one will ever convince me my brother is a racist," she said. "He had to have been angered that night to say those things."
      The prosecution alleged Ware had chased the youths through a parking lot and fired at them from his pickup. But police never recovered the .22-caliber rifle used to shoot Brandon, and no one actually saw the person who fired at the boys.
      A friend found Brandon's body several hours later, after some of the boys who had scattered regrouped.
      Brandon's mother, Ellonia Bickers, said she has forgiven Ware and was satisfied by the prison sentence.
      "I feel justice is served," she said. "Maybe one day I'll get another letter from him that he accepts responsibility. I personally forgive, but I won't forget."
      Bickers said she hoped other teenagers learned from her son's death.
      "I from Day One have said they shouldn't have been there," she said. "I just hope other kids will stop and think and don't do it."
      Hawkins called the failure to prosecute the teenage egg-throwers, as Brizzi indicated he might do after the shooting, "regrettable."
      Brizzi said it would have been difficult to prove a crime, and that the boys they "had suffered enough."
      "The other children scattered, and we couldn't prove who threw what egg when," he said.

WombanAuset is offline Sacred Militant Womb-Man

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

that is sick! i bet his simple ass egged or teeped somebody before..damn shame!
      Ahoofe ntua ka, suban pa na hia- physical beauty does not count much, it is good character that counts.
      See a black man dead, from a white man's powder
      See a white man scared, from a black man's power~Timbaland

Injustice is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

This is Old but I would still like to say something

For one. I want you to know the man is not racist.
      I lived with this man for 7 years of my life.
      He took me in as his own child, where my own father was too driven into drugs to care for me.
      He isnt a bad man, but he was consumed by drugs.
      His nephew is half black, and he would never hurt him.
      I dont think he killed that boy, considering the police report said someone was standing in the truck bed. So the kids say, and they report and state Donnie was driving the truck. Not in the truck bed.
      If that's so the cops and investigators never brought up the possible clause of someone being in the passenger seat.

I've lived with him, I seen how he is.
      The dude wouldn't be motivated by racism. It was not a hate crime.
      If he did do it, he was under the influence.
      You ask if he didn't do it why didn't he rat out the person who did?
      Well there is one thing that comes with ratting people out, and its usually death. I don't think he would've wanted that.
      He doesn't deserve the death penalty, no one does.
      Two wrongs don't make a right. If anything just let the man grow old in prison, at least he can still have some sort of communication with the outside world.

If you would like to say anything to me about this, and are willing to discuss. I'd be happy too. Just send me an email.

Thread Information