Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

jahinaeem67 is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

How do we identify ourselves?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      I see myself as Afrikan, not black, colored, nor nigger. My father (Baba) always told me that "we are from a culture, not a color. There is no such place as Black land or nigger land, so why call yourself that. People are from cultures, not colors." Nor do I call myself American. I say, "Afrikan living in America." Can someone tell me why I still get so much negativity from our own people who refuse to accept their own roots?

edwins is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by jahinaeem67 View Post
      I see myself as Afrikan, not black, colored, nor nigger. My father (Baba) always told me that "we are from a culture, not a color. There is no such place as Black land or nigger land, so why call yourself that. People are from cultures, not colors." Nor do I call myself American. I say, "Afrikan living in America." Can someone tell me why I still get so much negativity from our own people who refuse to accept their own roots?
      greetings-

possibly because their fathers did not provide them with the positive instruction that your father obviously did- or perhaps absent such instruction the ancestors have yet to reveal themselves to our collective consciousness.

peace be upon you

malika is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by jahinaeem67 View Post
      I'm African. Being Black is secondary to me. African is more powerful, it's my culture, my roots, the way I was raised....Everything. Black is too vast if you ask me. I never say Black, it's not an identity to me.
      When I think of it, African in general don't use the word Black much, they identify with their country first.

underdrum is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

That our African identity is primary, i am in full agreement. However, that an oppressed ppl should resist genuine self knowledge should come as no "surprise". The battered spouse will rather consistently support their abusers until they come to a realization of their humanity outside of the definition given to them by their oppressors. (But i must admit-- sometimes i want to say "why in the %^#* can't you see this!", even tho i "know" why)
      "in the church...the negro has had sufficient freedom to develope this institution in his own way; but he has failed to do so. his religion is merely a loan from the whites...in chameleon-like fashion the negro has taken up almost everything religious which has come along instead of thinking for himself." -- "the mis-education of the negro", carter g. woodson.

Thread Information