Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

shahid1226 is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Odunde festival Philly

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Anybody attending? Can anyone educate a brotha about the fest? Ill be driving up to philly to check this out, I think I want to be a part of the fest but I would love some insight on exactly what this is about. Asante sana for any replys

Moorish Rebel is offline Nkrumah-Tureist

Thumbs Up/Down

Here's some info that explains this interesting event. Man I wish we had this out here in L.A.

ODUNDE, has gained a reputation as one of Philadelphia's brightest cultural jewel. The word ODUNDE originates with the Yoruba people of Nigeria, West Africa. It means "Happy New Year". The ODUNDE festival is an occasion marked by joy and hope, a joy which is highlighted by a colorful procession to the Schuylkill River where offerings of fruits and flowers are made to Oshun, the Goddess of the River.
      The religion, call IFA, embraced by the Yoruba people is very old. It involves the worship of one God and 401 orishas, similar to saints in the Catholic Church. Included in its three tiers of worship is "ancestor remembrance' in the offering of libations, divinations and other such acts.

OSHUN is one of the orishas worshiped in the Ifa religion. She is one of the youngest orishas and is a female energy. As orisha of the river, she represents beauty, vanity, sensuality and attractiveness.

Everyone is invited to participate in the revered processional to the river. The offerings to OSHUN is one of the sacred aspects of ODUNDE, During the processional to the river praise is given to all orishas, in the Yoruba language, especially to OSHUN.

Oriki, (songs) are sung in a particular order with the BATA, special two headed drums used only for special occasions. Once the processional reaches the bridge, incantations and prayers are offered in Yoruba. The Priest or Priestess ask OSHUN if our offerings are acceptable. Once a positive response is interpreted participants are given instructions to make their offerings.

On the return from the river, we celebrate! ODUNDE! It is the African New Year!

Learn About Odunde

freedom4me is offline Warrioress

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

greetings

okay this post is after the fact, but yes I did go. I go every year. Shahid, what I would have recommended to you (had I read this post earlier) is that you try to be at the starting point by 12 pm because that's when the procession to the river leaves.

Did you make it down to the festival?

peace

shahid1226 is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Yes Odunde

Yes I definetly made it down for the first time and Odunde will be something routine for me from now on. Beautiful atmosphere, beautiful family and there were so, so many amazingly lovely, natural sistas that I just couldnt stand it! Being from middle america, and I mean the armpit, you not blessed with the oppurtunity so seeing in 1 spot prideful sistas and they was making my toes curl! Anyhow( sorry!) the vendors were awesome, I loved listening to the drumming, food was good and I just walked away with so much, and I mean not in only merchandise but but great info. Headed to richmond this weekend to the I think its Happily Naptural Day, I think Dead Prez will be performing. Peace

freedom4me is offline Warrioress

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

shahid, wish I would have known about what is it? happy naptural day! LOL.
      how was it, if you did make it there
      and yes, the festival, the drumming, the dancing is amazing. I carry the feelings and experiences with me.
      peace

Thread Information