On Saturday, May 7th in Atlanta, GA, the Uhuru Movement sponsored a Rally calling on all Africans to address the current state of the Education of Our People, mainly our Children. This was not just a Rally to serve the purpose of Agitating and Educating, but to Organize and Mobilize as well. This was to put a Movement on the ground in the Atlanta area. A movement to SEIZE COMMUNITY CONTROL OF EDUCATION!
When we say "Community Control" we are saying that the People; Parents, Members of the Community, Teachers, as well as Students; should have control of the Institutions that are supposed to serve the purpose of Educating Our Children. And based on what we see happening in the School System, those who are in control now are failing Our Children!
Out of the Rally were developed Resolutions for All to help develop and work towards.
To form a Community Education Committee that would be made up of all African freedom-loving People who want to work towards seizing community control of education in the areas of:
- To implement African Studies (Continental and Diasporic) in all schools.
- To have influence over the curriculum in other subjects such as U.S. and European History, Science, Mathematics, Literature.
- Monitor and attend School Board meetings
- Struggle for Representation on the District School Boards in the implementation of Policies and other decision-making
- Come to the Defense of African Children, Teachers, and Administrators whose Rights have been violated by the Public School System
- Develop more Independent After-school programs, Saturday Schools, Home-Study Programs
- Support those Independent Programs that already exist.
Human Rights Violations
- Research how the treatment and miseducation of African Children in the U.S. Public School system is in violation of our Human Rights on an International level
For More Information: