APRIL 2006 ACTION ALERT
main page of this alert: http://assatashakur.org/0406.htm
Title: Support Afrikan-Centered Education, Support Bakari Institute
Time Frame: 1 Month
Plan of Action: Contribute supplies, volunteer hours and financial support towards Barkari's goal of providing educational services for children, youth and adults that facilitate an a clear Afrikan identity and commitment to serve the Afrikan community first.
Purpose of Action: Support Afrikan (Black) owned community and educational centers and the idea of educational experiences that meet our needs and our cultural context.
The Bakari Institute is an Afrikan-centered, family ran, non-profit cultural arts organization that uses art as a medium to promote positive activity among economically-disadvantaged youth and their families. Bakari also offers youth access to homework and mentors.
The Institute recently began rehabbing a new facility. The facility will feature a hair salon, music studio, dance studio, Afrikan clothing store, technology center, rehearsal room for musicians, art room, outdoor educational area, a sewing room, garden and a full kitchen.
Youth will not only be trained to HELP with the rehabbing of this historic building, but they will trained to EARN A LIVING in the cultural arts that will be taught at the new Bakari Institute. Many youth are already performing locally and regionally with Bakari's dance troupe and drum ensemble.
The Bakari Institute is one of the last genuine Afrikan-centered organizations in St. Louis. They serve youth in communities where no one else seems to be interested in supporting and uplifting our youth.
Photo of Kids Performing
What You Should Do Now:
- Volunteer offline office support, equipment repair, mentoring youth on-site)
- Make an equipment donation: Copy Machine (used is okay), Desktop PCs (2yrs old or newer), Computer Monitors (2yrs old or newer), Office and School Supplies (paper, pens, ink cartridges, paints, notebooks, crayons, staples, etc.) Educational Software (CDROM Only), Musical Instruments, Books (music instruction, educational, cultural and entrepreneurial in nature), Bolts of Afrikan Fabric, Networking/DSL / Cable Service Support.
- Make a financial donation. You can mail a money order or cashier's check to the address below. (No amount is too small or large.)
- Write or Call:
The Bakari Institute
3959 North 11th Street
St. Louis, MO 63107-2921
Let them know how important you believe independently ran, Africentric educational institutions are to the revitalization and growth of our communities.
- No Flier at this Time
Goals & Outcomes
- Increase Public Awareness about Independent Afrikan (Black) Centers and Schools
- Support Independent Afrikan (Black) Centers and Schools
- Groom volunteers, students or financial supporters of Africentric education.
- Encourage and inspire Africentric educators.
- Afrikan schools will have necessary social and economic support.
- Parents will be aware of educational alternatives that suit OUR children.
- "It Takes a Village to Raise a Child" becomes a reality.
- Africentric educators will receive greater support.
Please take a few moments and provide us with important feedback about this Action Alert. Your opinions are important!
Fill out the Poll
Share Your News Items
If you have articles, photographs, video or other news coverage or commentary related to a monthly Action Alert Please contact us.