Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
      Akosua is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Peace everyone,

My name is Akos. I came across this forum because I just recently discovered who Assata Shakur is. I saw the pictures of the Scott sisters on the front page. At first I admittedly didn't want to get involved but as I read their story, I was heart broken. So I sent an email to the superintendent of the prison, and also I will sign the petition. I'll also write to Jamie and Gladys and let them know they're not alone.

ETA: I sent a CC to their mother Evelyn and she just wrote back to me thanking me for writing and also to share what she's gone through. She said she hasn't been able to afford a lawyer for them and that Jamie's health isn't so good these days because she hasn't been getting the right medication. Her email brought me to tears. I'm at a loss for words to say.

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 10/1
      Given: 7/0

Don't forget to support
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

nattyreb is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

12/6/09 Update!!

Greetings all,

Mrs. Rasco, Jamie and Gladys Scott want to thank everyone who has called, written, faxed and e-mailed on their behalf!! It truly is making a difference, as has already been reported! Gladys Scott was recently told by the warden
      of that prison that calls and letters continue to come in, a testament to the
      perseverance of all of you who are letting these officials know that there are people worldwide watching what goes on with her and Jamie, which is very important as we agitate for their release!

Atty. Jaribu Hill is working with Mrs. Rasco to advise us on next best steps. One is that we undertake a greater and more consistent campaign of making Atty. General Holder and Gov. Haley Barbour recognize our resolve to have these women freed from prison hell with letters from around the country and world, the demand must be massive in order to make any impact at all. So please, EVERYONE, pass the word to send mail to these two officials ASAP.

The sample letter is below, please personalize or completely rewrite, print one for each, stick them in the mail, and pass this on to all of your contacts. Just a few minutes of your time would mean so much. We really need their mailboxes to be bulging, so let's end this year with a huge FREEDOM MAIL BLAST FOR THE SCOTT SISTERS! Thank you very much for making this happen!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~

SAMPLE LETTER:

Attorney General Eric Holder
      U.S. Department of Justice
      950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
      Washington, DC 20530-0001

The Honorable Attorney General Holder:

I am writing to request that you investigate the cases of Jamie and Gladys Scott. The Scott Sisters were given double life sentences each in October of 1994 for armed robbery in the state of Mississippi. No one was injured or murdered. One witness states that about 11 dollars was netted in the armed robbery. All witnesses and victims of this crime have testified that the Scott Sisters were not involved in the robbery. Witnesses testified that they were coerced and threatened to lie on the Scott Sisters.

A 14 year old witness testified that he signed a statement which was prepared for him before he entered Deputy Sheriff Marvin Williams’ Office. This statement was signed by the 14 year old without an attorney present. He was told that he would be released from the local jail the next morning if he signed it. He was not released.

This is an egregious wrongful conviction and the Scott Sisters and their family has suffered now 15+ years.

Jamie and Gladys Scott are housed in Pearl, Mississippi at Central Mississippi Correctional Facility. Their ID numbers are Jamie Scott #19197 and Gladys Scott #19142.

Sincerely,
      (Your Name)
      ----

Please also send a letter to Governor Haley Barbour:

Governor Haley Barbour
      P.O. Box 139
      Jackson, Mississippi 39205
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE VISIT THE WEBSITE and include it in your links. There is a press release there that we need help distributing to get mainstream publicity for the case. Oprah's last year is coming up and she should be pressured to do a show on this case from her home state, there's a contact form for her that you can fill in online at https://www.oprah.com/plugform.jsp?plugId=220. Also, please make sure to print some flyers out and stick them in your bag the next time you are going out among the people to spread the word as far and wide as possible, we can do this, we MUST! Scott Sisters Flyer

Gladys and Jamie thank those of you who have written very much, please drop them a line for the holidays, they are 15+ years without their family and this is a rough time of year for all prisoners. Please brighten their day with a card or letter:

Jamie Scott #19197
      CMCF2/A-Bldg.
      B Zone, Bed 196
      P.O. Box 88550
      Pearl, MS 39288-8550

Gladys Scott #19142
      CMCF/B-Bldg.
      P.O. Box 88550
      Pearl, MS 39288-8550

"For all that don’t know, slavery in Mississippi has changed names. It is still very much active and alive in Mississippi. Its new name is called the LAW! So, if there is anyone out there that thinks this cannot happen to their child or family, think about Gladys and Jamie Scott. We were not criminals nor were we drug addicts. I worked everyday. I have a right to be bitter, angry, mad as hell at the United States of America, but I choose not to because I know a higher power and Gladys and I WILL walk the streets again." -- Jamie Scott

Please visit and LINK to: FREE THE SCOTT SISTERS!
      Subscribe to our group: Send a blank e-mail to scottsistersupdates-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and share information!
      Facebook Group: Free The Scott Sisters
      Petition: Gladys and Jamie Scott Wrongful Conviction Case Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]
      Flyer: Scott Sisters Flyer
      Legal Transcripts: Scott Sisters | Scribd

MISSISSIPPI INJUSTICE: In a trial fraught with legal malpractice and
      witness coercion, Mississippi Judge Marcus Gordon oversaw one of the
      most blatantly corrupt trials in history, culminating in the staggering over-
      sentencing of sisters Gladys and Jamie Scott to double-life each in a
      robbery that they did not participate in, where no one was murdered or
      harmed, and the amount alleged to have been taken was a whopping
      $11.00. Even if they were guilty as charged, the sentence is completely
      outrageous! The Scott Sisters are now in their 15th year of unjust
      imprisonment!

Thank you very much for your support!

NOT ONE MORE YEAR OF UNJUST INCARCERATION FOR THE INNOCENT SCOTT SISTERS!!

"The case of the Scott Sisters is a travesty of justice," Bro. Chokwe Lumumba, Jackson, MS City Council.

Let's get 'em free, y'all!
      "We must continue to move forward and do everything we can to outlaw legal lynching in America. We must continue to stand together in unity and to demand a moratorium on all executions. You must stay strong. You must continue to hold your heads up, and to be there. We will prevail. Keep marching Black people. They are killing me tonight. They are murdering me tonight." -- Excerpts of Last Words of Bro. Shaka Sankofa, an innocent man executed by the state of Texas, 6/22/00. www.myspace.com/nattyreb7

PTB
      PTB is offline Moderator

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/1
      Given: 9/0

they do this bullshit all time in mississipp. falsely imprisonig niggaz for somethin they didnt but imma pray support the queens!!!!

priest3345 is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

domestic vioelnce

any man who puts his hands on a woman hands should be seperated from his arms i ve seen and heard stories of this kind of nature which has been going on inblack homes but sisters have to learn not to tolerate this kind of treatment and defend themselves,we will not tolerate in in our communities..

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

12/20 scott sisters update!

Greetings everyone!

Mrs. Rasco has done several very excellent Blogtalk interviews of late and is working hard to get mention of this case in the mainstream, please help spread the word to anyone who may cover this story. We need y'all to link to and steer people to the website and distribute flyers as broadly as you are able to, even religious and spiritual houses should very definitely be involved in the struggle to bring these women home, this is madness!! One supporter recently suggested sticking flyers in the bulletins/programs, on the bulletin board, or in common areas of these facilities.

Gladys Scott wrote this update for you all: "Peace to all my supporters and friends for believing in me and Jamie's freedom. I would like to thank everyone! I'm so glad whenever I get mail and I will try to answer everybody when I have stamps. My life here has been bad, but I work and go to school and am trying to stay strong. Right now I speak to kids from different schools and try to tell them how prison is and so I am trying to turn a negative situation into a positive outcome. I miss Jamie so much. I wish that she was with me, but this prison is so wrong. The only thing I can do is pray and ask God to give me peace through all that goes on in here. I have seen so many people make it out and pray to God that I live long enough to make it out to be with my kids and grandkids, and I want to take care of my mother who I owe so much. She has been there with us since day one and I am so proud to be her daughter. She makes me not want to give up and I know that I have to stay strong for her, she is the inspiration of my life. Scott County told me that I was going to rot in prison but I know that's a lie. Justice will come, the truth will come out that we are innocent and the system is corrupted. We are going to keep on fighting until someone hears our voice for justice. Happy holidays to all our supporters and may God's peace keep you. Love, Gladys."

We, once again, are asking for an end of year PUSH to send letters to the Governor and Attorney General per the instruction of the Civil Rights Attorney who is assisting Mrs. Rasco, they truly need to be deluged with requests from everyone outraged by this case. Please don't procrastinate ... it will mean so much to check this off your "to do" list of accomplishments for this year. We are also still in need of a criminal attorney who will take on these cases and direct us on the best ways to move forward, so please know that the search still continues for someone who will help to end this family's nightmare.

Thank you all for your support this year, a lot may have changed in this country but sadly one thing remains the same: Jamie and Gladys Scott are still suffering the cruel and inhuman punishment of these outrageous double-life sentences!

"I have done all my 20's in prison and in a few more years I will be through with all my 30's. No one will understand the hurt I feel when so many people, even a child rapist, can walk out these doors and I still sit here for nothing at all." -- Jamie Scott

------------

SAMPLE LETTER:

I am writing to request that you investigate the cases of Jamie and Gladys Scott. The Scott Sisters were given double life sentences each in October of 1994 for armed robbery in the state of Mississippi. No one was injured or murdered. One witness states that about 11 dollars was netted in the armed robbery. All witnesses and victims of this crime have testified that the Scott Sisters were not involved in the robbery. Witnesses testified that they were coerced and threatened to lie on the Scott Sisters.

A 14 year old witness testified that he signed a statement which was prepared for him before he entered Deputy Sheriff Marvin Williams’ Office. This statement was signed by the 14 year old without an attorney present. He was told that he would be released from the local jail the next morning if he signed it. He was not released.

This is an egregious wrongful conviction and the Scott Sisters and their family has suffered now 15+ years.

Jamie and Gladys Scott are housed in Pearl, Mississippi at Central Mississippi Correctional Facility. Their ID numbers are Jamie Scott #19197 and Gladys Scott #19142.

Sincerely,
      (Your Name)
      ----

Governor Haley Barbour
      P.O. Box 139

PLEASE VISIT THE WEBSITE and include it in your links. There is a press release there that we need help distributing to get mainstream publicity for the case. Oprah's last year is coming up and she should be pressured to do a show on this case from her home state, there's a contact form for her that you can fill in online at https://www.oprah.com/plugform.jsp?plugId=220. Also, please make sure to print some flyers out and stick them in your bag the next time you are going out among the people to spread the word as far and wide as possible, we can do this, we MUST! Scott Sisters Flyer

Gladys and Jamie thank those of you who have written very much, please drop them a line for the holidays, they are 15+ years without their family and this is a rough time of year for all prisoners. Please brighten their day with a card or letter:

Jamie Scott #19197
      CMCF2/A-Bldg.
      B Zone, Bed 196
      P.O. Box 88550
      Pearl, MS 39288-8550

Gladys Scott #19142
      CMCF/B-Bldg.
      P.O. Box 88550
      Pearl, MS 39288-8550

Subscribe to our group: Send a blank e-mail to scottsistersupdates-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and share information!
      Petition: Gladys and Jamie Scott Wrongful Conviction Case

imprisonment!

"The case of the Scott Sisters is a travesty of justice," Bro. Chokwe Lumumba, Jackson, MS City Council.

"We must continue to move forward and do everything we can to outlaw legal lynching in America. We must continue to stand together in unity and to demand a moratorium on all executions. You must stay strong. You must continue to hold your heads up, and to be there. We will prevail. Keep marching Black people. They are killing me tonight. They are murdering me tonight." -- Excerpts of Last Words of Bro. Shaka Sankofa, an innocent man executed by the state of Texas, 6/22/00. www.myspace.com/nattyreb7

Sistahs_Keeper is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by nattyreb View Post
      THE COMMITTEE TO FREE THE SCOTT SISTERS

E-mail Contact: thewrongfulconviction@gmail.com

2/10/09

We are calling for everyone reading this e-mail to take a moment and send a letter to Oprah Winfrey on behalf of the Scott Sisters. Why? Because we are pulling out all of the stops in our attempts to bring this incredible case of extreme Mississippi injustice to the attention of the nation and world, it is just that compelling! Please read on and we are certain that you will agree that taking a moment to make contact is at least worth the effort!

Oprah Winfrey Show
      PO Box 909715, Chicago, Illinois 60690-9715
      110 N Carpenter St., Chicago, Illinois 60607-2146

O Magazine
      300 W 57th Street, Floor 36,
      New York, New York 10019-3741
      Hotep Sistah,

My Father works with the National Forum for Black Public Administrators (headquarters in Washington, DC) and I'm pushing to get the organization involved with the case as well. They partner with organizations in Afrika, work with Afro-Columbians in South America, and have chapters all over the country. I've known them to work with high profile names as well and while I play my part in writing both the O Magazine as well as the show, I hope to create a large Chapter involvment within the NFBPA. Peace Sistah. With Love, Sistahs_Keeper

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

This sounds very encouraging, thank you so much, Sistahs_Keeper! Please also keep me posted at nattyreb@gmail.com, i'd love to be able to notify Mrs. Rasco of any developments the moment that they occur. With love and in struggle! Sis. Marpessa.

Quote Originally Posted by Sistahs_Keeper View Post
      Hotep Sistah,

My Father works with the National Forum for Black Public Administrators (headquarters in Washington, DC) and I'm pushing to get the organization involved with the case as well. They partner with organizations in Afrika, work with Afro-Columbians in South America, and have chapters all over the country. I've known them to work with high profile names as well and while I play my part in writing both the O Magazine as well as the show, I hope to create a large Chapter involvment within the NFBPA. Peace Sistah. With Love, Sistahs_Keeper

Nia Maishani is offline 1 in a Billion Twin-Soul

Thumbs Up/Down

Meda ase pa, Sister Natty Reb. My two letters are written and sealed. I will be stamping and mailing them tonight. Know that the work you are doing is not in vain. I will also be helping to spread the word via the flyer.
      Resident
      Blackalicious
      Guedebuster

Nia Maishani
      SmJ

"Walk like you're chosen." ~Grand Verbalizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Asante sana, beautiful Sista, we gonna FREE THE SCOTT SISTERS IN 2010!

Thanks for walking the walk, Sista-Queen!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

THANK YOU FOR FORWARDING AND REPOSTING THIS INFORMATION!!
      ======

Warm Greetings all,

Happy New Year to you all and may this be the year that the Scott Sisters are AT LONG LAST reunited with their family! Thanks to all of you who have written, called and e-mailed on their behalf, as well as spread the word of this case by forwarding and reposting, we need that to happen! We've received messages from as far away as Germany and as near as the smallest of towns here in the U.S. of people in support of these women, this is about as grassroots of an effort as it gets, we are counting on each person reading these words to ACT.

It's been reported that there was a recent article on the case featured in the Jackson Advocate (Mississippi) for which we are real grateful and will send out as soon as we receive it. Mainstream publicity largely continues to elude us, as you know they would rather focus on Tiger Woods or Mariah Carey instead of the wrongfully convicted who are suffering and dying behind the walls of the prisons in this country! It's gonna take hundreds of letters to these entities to get them to say a mumbling word about this atrocious case, so we're really calling on everyone to contact as many media outlets as possible with the information at our website.

With the help of Attorney Jaribu Hill the prison has agreed to allow the Scott Sisters to visit each other for two hours this month! This will mean the world to them as they have been terribly upset about not seeing one another. Both women suffer from depression, Jamie is in poor health, and they need to be in regular contact with one another and their family who love and miss them so much. There's a new photo at the website of the children and grandchildren of Jamie and Gladys so that you can see how much they are needed at home instead of being tormented in captivity like this, it is truly cruel and inhuman punishment!! This situation is really abysmal, it's
      just gotta get solved!

Please continue to send in your ideas and spread the word about this case, we need you!! Let us know when you contact media so that we can keep up with who has received the info. Also please bear in mind that we are still looking for a criminal attorney to work on this case, please share this information with any leads at all that will assist this family!

Don't forget to send in your letters and to ask others to do so as well! We can make anything happen, we have the power, we just need the MASS NUMBERS of people TO ACT!

------------

SAMPLE LETTER:

Sincerely,
      (Your Name)
      ----

Governor Haley Barbour
      P.O. Box 139

Oprah's last year is coming up and she should be pressured to do a show on this case from her home state, there's a contact form for her that you can fill in online at https://www.oprah.com/plugform.jsp?plugId=220. Imagine if she received 1,000 forms to do something on the Scott Sisters, perhaps she would be moved to do so, who knows? Also, please make sure to print some flyers out and stick them in your bag the next time you are going out among the people to spread the word, we can do this, we MUST! Scott Sisters Flyer

Gladys and Jamie thank those of you who have written very much, please brighten their day with a card or letter, it will only take a few moments of your time:

Jamie Scott #19197
      CMCF2/A-Bldg.
      B Zone, Bed 196
      P.O. Box 88550
      Pearl, MS 39288-8550

Gladys Scott #19142
      CMCF/B-Bldg.
      P.O. Box 88550
      Pearl, MS 39288-8550

Petition: Gladys and Jamie Scott Wrongful Conviction Case

imprisonment!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

2/20 Scott Sisters Update

i thought these were updated, a lot has happened since the last posting, please visit the "Hood News" section of this site and Mrs. Rasco's site at FREE THE SCOTT SISTERS! for more info.

Greetings all,

Mrs. Evelyn Rasco has been going non-stop in Mississippi advocating
      on behalf of her daughters since the 2/17 update, she is absolutely
      incredible and a force to be reckoned with!

Mrs. Rasco was able to get into see both of her daughters on 2/18. Gladys
      reports that she is doing OK but is of course greatly concerned about
      Jamie. Jamie was able to come to the visiting room and visit with her
      mother and son but was very obviously not doing well medically. She has
      lost weight and is extremely weak. The temporary catheter in her neck has
      been replaced twice but is still malfunctioning with infection in her neck
      and breast area, which she was able to show her mother evidence of.
      One of her medications is being denied to her because the state won't
      pay for it. Jamie's blood pressure and diabetes are not under control.

As soon as Mrs. Rasco left the prison she attended a meeting of the
      legislature in the Capitol Bldg. in Jackson dealing with prison budget cuts
      and other prison-related issues. She recognized Commissioner Epps
      from his photo at the prison and walked right up to him and told him all
      about Jamie's poor condition and shoddy medical treatment. He stated
      that he was getting messages from all over the world (thanks to all of
      you!). He stated that he was going to do everything that he could
      to obtain clemency or pardon for the Scott Sisters and that he was giving
      his word on this, although he had no power to actually make it happen
      himself. Dr. Gloria Perry was also there and defended the medical care
      that Jamie Scott is receiving despite all of the evidence to the contrary.

Mrs. Rasco has done several MS radio shows and even spoke at a high
      school last night. She was preparing to return home today but received
      a call in the middle of last night telling her that she needed to get back
      to the prison today (2/20) and see about Jamie. Since today is Jamie's
      regular visiting day she was able to go right down there to see her. This
      a.m., however, Jamie was too weak to walk to the visiting room, but
      Mrs. Rasco was able to go to the infirmary where Jamie is being kept
      on a hospital bed inside of a cell.

She was horrified at Jamie's living conditions in the infirmary, she
      could not believe what she saw there. She stated that there was trash
      all over the floor. Jamie's bedding was dirty and her facebowl and toilet
      were filthy. Jamie's floor had bags of dirty clothes. The paint was
      peeling and the infirmary was nasty. Jamie told her that the dialysis
      machine broke down again, this time during her last treatment
      and that she only received one hour on there.

The nurse said that Jamie needs to be hospitalized RIGHT NOW
      because of a huge knot of infection that has amassed in her neck.
      The catheter has drifted and is again non-functional. The nurse
      is giving her antibiotics and said she should have been hospitalized
      yesterday but that the paperwork had not been completed. She is
      hoping that Jamie will get sent back to the hospital on Monday. The
      food in the tray that was delivered to Jamie while Mrs. Rasco was
      there was swimming in water and unfit to eat. Jamie refused it and
      said she has not been receiving the nutrition that dialysis patients
      are supposed to have.

One of Mrs. Rasco's legal advisers, Chokwe Lumumba, urged that
      we strive to get support from a medical foundation or institution that
      can help to get Jamie moved into a medical facility ASAP in order to
      save her life. The infections and her horrible living conditions, her lack
      of consistent dialysis, medications, and nutrition and her serious
      illnesses have left Jamie barely able to walk. If you are able to help
      Jamie purchase her food, or even would like to put money on Gladys'
      books, please go to http://www.inmatedeposits.com and register for
      Access Corrections to help them.

Jamie Scott #19197
      CMCF2/A-Bldg.
      B Zone, Bed 196
      P.O. Box 88550
      Pearl, MS 39288-8550

Gladys Scott #19142
      CMCF/B-Bldg.
      P.O. Box 88550
      Pearl, MS 39288-8550

Please continue to contact the Governor, prison officials,
      politicians and media, there is a lot of renewed focus on the
      case of the Scott Sisters and Mrs. Rasco said that information
      is going out all over Mississippi radio. Please continue to
      sign onto the compassionate release petition for Jamie at
      ACTION COMMITTEE FOR WOMEN IN PRISON |Take Action | Change.org we have almost reached our
      goal of 1,000 signatures!

There are some upcoming events for the Scott Sisters,
      including a gathering at the Capitol in Jackson, MS being
      organized by Bro. Lumumba for next week. The MWM/Black
      Women's Defense League rally is being organized by Empress
      Chi for March 26, 2010. The "FREE THE SCOTT SISTERS"
      Protest Demonstration and Rally will also help to further the
      building of the "FREE THE SCOTT SISTERS" DIRECT
      ACTION TASK FORCE that is being coordinated by the
      BWDL To get involved with the FTSS-Task Force or for
      more information call 267-636-3802 or e-mail:
      nationalmwm@aol.com or BWDL7@aol.com.

Please subscribe to the mailing list and check the website
      and Facebook Group for updates. Mrs. Rasco is still
      unable to respond to e-mails as she is away from her
      computer, so please send urgent messages to
      nattyreb@gmail.com until she returns.

Visit and LINK to: FREE THE SCOTT SISTERS!
      Compassionate Release Petition: COMPASSIONATE RELEASE FOR JAMIE SCOTT
      Free the Scott Sisters Petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/F...dys/index.html
      Free the Scott Sisters Flyer: Scott Sisters Flyer

==================

Thanks to everyone, please help spread the word & ACT!

BE DIRECT BUT PLEASE BE COURTEOUS -- NO YELLING OR CURSING!
      IT WILL ONLY TAKE A FEW MINUTES, PLEASE PARTICIPATE!

Governor Haley Barbour
      P.O. Box 139
      1-877-405-0733 or 601-359-3150
      Fax: 601-359-3741
      (If you reach VM leave msgs, faxes, and please send letters)

Dorothy Kuykendall
      Personal Assistant to Gov. Barbour
      (601) 359-3150
      DKuykendall@governor.state.ms.us
      P. O Box 3150
      Jackson, MS 39205

Christopher Epps, Commissioner of Prisons for the State of Mississippi
      601-359-5600
      CEPPS@mdoc.state.ms.us
      723 North President Street
      Jackson, MS 39202

Emmitt Sparkman, Deputy Commissioner
      (601) 359-5610
      esparkman@mdoc.state.ms.us

Margaret Bingham, Superintendent of Central Mississippi Corrections Facility
      (601) 932-2880
      mbingham@mdoc.state.ms.us
      FAX: (601) 664-0782
      P.O. Box 88550
      Pearl, Mississippi 39208

Dr. Gloria Perry, Medical Department (601) 359-5155
      gperry@mdoc.state.ms.us

A complete list of the media that we have listed (feel free to send to anyone
      else that you wish to!) is at
      FREE THE SCOTT SISTERS!: MEDIA/POLITICAL CONTACT LIST

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Greetings all,

Thanks so much to all of the supporters of Jamie & Gladys
      Scott! Jamie reported that she was taken to a vascular clinic
      last Monday and an attempt was made to correct the displaced
      catheter in her neck, but the doctor had a problem getting into
      her vein. Tests were also run to determine whether she had
      remaining infection in her body. She is being told that she will
      return there next week to see her regular doctor, who was not
      present at the time of this visit. She was not given any
      information regarding any of the findings by staff.

On Wednesday she began having chest pains following her dialysis
      and was taken to the hospital. No blockage was detected following
      ultrasound and catheterization of her heart. She was returned
      to the prison on Thursday before she was told of any results.

Jamie sounded a bit stronger and her family and your activism
      have helped her to regain some of her fighting spirit! She was told
      by staff that she will be allowed to purchase some food on Monday
      and she is grateful for the donations she has received to be able
      to do so! Also, she has been told that the chaplain will be
      coming by a couple of days a week to do her laundry.

Jamie should not be in the prison infirmary, locked in a cell
      on a hospital bed on the mens' side of the prison, where the
      care is absymal and frighteningly inadequate, she has had more
      than enough medical emergencies! There is a medical
      building on the prison grounds where the environment is greatly
      improved and where Gladys can help her tend to her activities of
      daily living, as other incarcerated family members are permitted
      to do with their ailing relatives. We need the prison officials
      to know that we want Jamie to be in the environment most
      conducive to her health and well-being as she struggles with
      her many life-threatening medical conditions.
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Please continue to sign-on to the Change.org petition for the
      compassionate release of Jamie Scott at
      ACTION COMMITTEE FOR WOMEN IN PRISON |Take Action | Change.org and pass the word!
      ~~~~~~~~~~

The 2/27 Empowerment Hour Online University radio show hosted
      by Bros. Kermit Eady and Earnest McBride featured Mrs. Evelyn Rasco,
      Marpessa Kupendua (nattyreb), Nancy Lockhart, and Shakeerah
      Abdul al-Sabuur. There was a whole lot of good info put out and
      the archive is available to all at
      The Empowerment Hour Online University 2/27/2010 - Kermit Eady on Blog Talk Radio
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Empress Chi, coordinator of the MWM/Black Women's Defense
      League, is organizing a Free the Scott Sisters Demo and Rally
      in Mississippi on March 26, 2010. To get involved in planning
      this and for more information call 267-636-3802 or e-mail:
      nationalmwm@aol.com or BWDL7@aol.com.
      ~~~~~~~~~~

PULLING OUT ALL THE STOPS! -- We definitely appreciate every
      initiative that anyone can take to help win freedom for these
      women and Sis. Agnes Johnson gave a perfect example of
      exactly what we mean by pulling out all the stops. She not only
      has been able to speak to John Conyers and get info on the
      Scott Sisters directly to his office, but here are excerpts of a
      report she gave on Friday, 2/26:

"I moved thru the snow and slush to get to Columbia Univ to attend the
      Obama Admin's NY Universal Periodic Review (UPR). These sessions
      are being convened across the country to solicit information and
      recommendations regarding the US Gov. fulfillment of its obligation
      to protect human rights. Every four years, the UPR assesses each
      country's adherence to its human rights obligations under the U.N.
      Charter, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), human
      rights treaties ratified by the country, its voluntary commitments, and
      applicable international law. Reviews are conducted by the UPR
      Working Group, which consists of 47 members of the U.N. Human
      Rights Council.

"I spoke during the comment time in both the Health Section and the
      Criminal Justice Section. In the Health Section I demanded that those
      in US custody had a right to proper and life saving measures and
      what Jamie Scott was going thru was not just a barrier but a crime.
      Both times the comments were well received and people actually
      joined in to say Free the Scott Sisters now.The panel for Criminal
      Justice was even more cleansed of any of the lightning bolt cases
      of police brutality or political prisoners or even the presence of
      historical prison reform advocates.

"I would like to suggest that wherever this national listening event
      happens that folks attend to keep the Scott Sisters on the floor
      and even get on the panel to do a presentation. On the phones
      were reps out of DC Justice Dept and we should be hitting their
      emails and phones as well. They are:
      Julie Fernandes, Deputy Asst Attorney General, Civil Rights Div, USDJ
      Daniel Baer, Deputy Asst Sec, Bureau of Dem,Human Rights & Labor, USDJ
      Christopher Camponovo, Senior Adv, Bur of Dem, Human rights & Labor, USDJ
      Georgina Verdugo, Dir, Office of Civil Rights, US Dept of Health and Human Serv.
      The UPR website is at http://www.ushrnetwork.org/campaign_upr."
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

If possible please tune into Bro. Rip Daniels' radio show weekdays
      from 9a-11a MS time. He gives regular Scott Sisters updates and
      conducts hard-hitting interviews with prison officials, politicians,
      and many others concerned with the case of Jamie and Gladys Scott.
      Access this show any morning at itisanewday.com > Home
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

FRIDAY MARCH 5 DAY OF ACTION FOR JAMIE AND GLADYS SCOTT!
      Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour is faced with the possibility of releasing
      3,400 inmates because of budget overruns in his state. There is no
      reason on this earth that Jamie and Gladys Scott should not be among
      the very first considered, particularly with Jamie's rapidly declining
      health! On Friday we are asking everyone to CALL and FAX GOV.
      BARBOUR, give your name and state (country if from overseas) and
      let them know that the whole world is watching and that he needs to
      PARDON Jamie and Gladys Scott now! Please be courteous and leave
      a VM if there is no answer.
      ======================

Visit and LINK to: FREE THE SCOTT SISTERS!
      Compassionate Release Appeal: COMPASSIONATE RELEASE FOR JAMIE SCOTT
      Free the Scott Sisters Petition: Gladys and Jamie Scott Wrongful Conviction Case
      ==================

PLEASE MOVE JAMIE SCOTT TO THE MEDICAL BUILDING!
      COMPASSIONATE RELEASE FOR JAMIE SCOTT, #19197!
      PARDONS FOR BOTH SCOTT SISTERS!

Governor Haley Barbour
      P.O. Box 139

Dorothy Kuykendall
      (601) 359-3150
      P. O Box 3150
      Jackson, MS 39205

601-359-5600
      CEPPS@mdoc.state.ms.us
      Jackson, MS 39202

HOTLINE - 202-353-1555

(601) 359-5610

(601) 932-2880
      P.O. Box 88550
      Pearl, Mississippi 39208

gperry@mdoc.state.ms.us

WE NEED NATIONAL MAINSTREAM MEDIA COVERAGE!!

Please take a moment and fill out Oprah's Contact Form
      and tell her she must do a show on the plight of Jamie and
      Gladys Scott at https://www.oprah.com/plugform.jsp?plugId=220
      Please include a link to Mrs. Rasco's website, FREE THE SCOTT SISTERS!

A complete list of the media that we have (feel free to
      send to anyone else that you wish to!) is at
      FREE THE SCOTT SISTERS!: MEDIA/POLITICAL CONTACT LIST

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Greetings, all,

Hope everyone is calling and faxing the governor's office today!

This is a Scott Sisters media report, let's keep sending info into mass
      media outlets and shine the light worldwide on this travesty of justice!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nancy Lockhart reported the following: "Jane Velez-Mitchell (CNN) has spoken about The Scott Sisters on her program.
      Her assistant has stated that there is a possibility that followups will occur. "
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two other newspieces of note:

Ailing Pearl Inmate Out of Hospital

Reported by: Kathy Times
      Email: kathytimes@jxntv.com
      Last Update: 3/04 8:19 pm

UPDATE - An inmate at the center of a state capitol protest is out of the hospital and back at the state prison in Pearl.
      Last week, supporters of Jamie Scott demanded her release.
      They say she needs a kidney transplant, and she is not getting adequate treatment at the state prison.
      Suzanne Singletary of the Mississippi Department of Corrections says Scott went to the hospital last week for tests and “everything is normal.”
      Scott is back at the prison.
      The spokesman says inmates must be terminal or totally disabled before they're considered for medical release.
      Scott and her sister Gladys Scott have been in prison for 15 years. Their supporters say they should not have been convicted for a questionable robbery that netted eleven dollars.

To follow the Scott sisters' case, click here. (Freethescottsisters.blogspot.com)
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And this fantastic piece by James Ridgeway!

From: For Jamie Scott, an $11 Robbery in Mississippi May Carry a Death Sentence Solitary Watch

For Jamie Scott, an $11 Robbery in Mississippi May Carry a Death Sentence

On February 25, a small crowd gathered outside the state capitol in Jackson, Mississippi, to push for the release of sisters Jamie and Gladys Scott, who are serving two consecutive life sentences apiece for a 1993 armed robbery in which no one was injured and the take, by most accounts, was about $11. Supporters of the Scott sisters have long tried to draw attention to their case, as an extreme example of the distorted justice and Draconian sentencing policies that have overloaded prisons, crippled state budgets, and torn families apart across the United States. But in recent months, their cause has taken on a new urgency, because for Jamie Scott, an unwarranted life sentence may soon become a death sentence.

Jamie Scott, 38, is suffering from kidney failure. At the Central Mississippi Correctional Facility (CMCF) in Pearl, where Jamie and Gladys are incarcerated, medical services are provided by a private contractor called Wexford, which has been the subject of lawsuits and legislative investigations in several states over inadequate treatment of the inmates in its care. According to Jamie Scott’s family, in the six weeks since her condition became life-threatening, she has endured faulty or missed dialysis sessions, infections, and other complications. She has received no indication that a kidney transplant is being considered as an option, though her sister is a willing donor.

Jamie Scott’s family and legal advisors believe the poor health care she is receiving in prison places her life at risk. They have sent pleas for clemency or compassionate release to Governor Haley Barbour, whose tough-on-crime posturing and dubious record on issuing pardons do not bode well for Jamie. The Mississippi Department of Corrections (MDOC) has a provision for what it calls “conditional medical release,” but Scott is not a candidate, department spokesperson Suzanne Garbo Singletary said in an email last week, because “MDOC policy provides that an inmate must have a condition that is ‘incapacitating, totally disabling and/or terminal in nature’ in order to qualify.” So Jamie Scott appears to be caught in a deadly Catch-22: In order to be released from prison, she must convince the MDOC that her illness is terminal or “totally disabling”; but the only sure way for her to prove this is to die in prison.

Cruel and Unusual Health Care

In telephone interviews earlier this week, the Scott sisters’ mother, Evelyn Rasco, described the treatment Jamie has received at Central Mississippi Correctional Facility (CMCF), based on her own observations and information provided by her two daughters. Jamie, who has diabetes and bouts of high blood pressure, said that medical staff at the prison first diagnosed possible kidney problems in 1997–but until recently, she received minimal treatment outside of her regular insulin. Jamie’s physical and mental health suffered last fall when she spent 23 days in solitary confinement (for being found in an “unauthorized area” in the prison gym) and was cut off from her routine of work, classes, church, and occasional visits with her sister. Then, in mid-January, Jamie became seriously ill when both her kidneys began shutting down. She was sent to the prison infirmary and, after a week’s delay, taken to the hospital. There, doctors inserted a shunt in Jamie’s neck to allow her to receive dialysis through a catheter, and she was promptly returned to prison.

Rather than letting Jamie Scott leave the prison regularly for dialysis, prison authorities chose to truck in dialysis machines. About three times a week, Jamie has received hemodialysis in a trailer on the prison grounds—if the machines are working properly, which she reports isn’t always the case. At one session, Jamie told her mother, the blood was flowing out of her through a catheter into the dialysis machine—but it wasn’t flowing back in, so the treatment had to be stopped. At the end of January, another inmate looked in on Jamie, who was locked up alone in her cell, and found her unconscious. She was rushed to the hospital, where doctors told her there were problems with the shunt inserted into her neck. They made adjustments, and she was again taken back to prison.

Evelyn Rasco lives in Pensacola, Florida, where she cares for her daughters’ five children while they are behind bars. Since Jamie and Gladys went to prison, Rasco’s husband of 30 years died of a heart attack; another daughter died of congestive heart failure; and her oldest son was away for several years serving with the Army in Iraq. In a letter to supporters last year, Jamie Scott wrote: “When I think of the word ‘strongest,’ I think of my mother. She is 4 feet 9 inches tall and has the strength of Job in the Bible.”

Rasco lacks the time and financial resources to visit her daughters often, but in mid-February, she managed to make the trip to Mississippi. When she visited the prison on February 18, along with Jamie’s 18-year-old son, Jamie was feeling sick but was able to make it to the visiting room. When Rasco returned two days later, she found Jamie in a cell attached to the infirmary. “She was real weak,” Rasco said. “She couldn’t walk.” An infection appeared to have developed at the site of Jamie’s catheter, which had filled with blood and pus. Nurses reportedly told Rasco that Jamie should be in the hospital, but the paperwork hadn’t been done.

Rasco said that when she entered her daughter’s cell, Jamie was sitting on the edge of a hospital bed with dirty linens, near a toilet and wash bowl that had not been cleaned. Prison staff arrived with a plate of food—a hamburger swimming in grease, some side dishes, and a cookie–but Jamie said it looked so bad she couldn’t eat it. The doctors at the hospital had given her a list of foods she should eat, including meat, fish, and vegetables, but they were not available, and she did not have permission to purchase food at the prison commissary. (That permission has since been granted.) So Jamie sat on her grimy bed eating a Snickers bar. “She sat right there with me,” Rasco said, “and tried to give me a piece.” Knowing it was the only nourishment her daughter was likely to have, her mother declined.

Since Evelyn Rasco’s visit, Jamie was back in the hospital for a day after experiencing chest pains following dialysis, and to a clinic where her dialysis shunt was again adjusted and she was tested for infections. To date, the family does not know the results.

Evelyn Rasco also said that when Gladys Scott, 34, learned of her sister’s kidney failure, she immediately offered to give Jamie a kidney. If Gladys were to prove a viable match, this would be by far the best medical option for Jamie: Studies show that patients in their thirties who receive successful transplants live considerably longer than those who remain on dialysis. Gladys says that CMCF staff told her that state prisoners don’t qualify as donors, and that a transplant would be too expensive, though there is no indication that their statements reflect official MDOC policy. Rasco said that she was hoping the prison would at least let Gladys to care for Jamie—feed her and bathe her—as inmates are sometime allowed to do for ailing relatives. When Rasco last spoke to her, Gladys had not received the necessary permission.

Chokwe Lumumba, a longtime activist and attorney who also serves on the Jackson City Council, is representing the family in the medical matter. In an interview last week, Lumumba said, “Our first idea is to get some medical attention into the jail. Asking for a private doctor to go in there and see her.” But what Jamie Scott really needs, he told me, is “to be in hospital until a kidney transplant.”

Suzanne Garbo Singletary, Director of the MDOC’s Division of Communications, replied to several email inquiries regarding Jamie Scott’s care. In one email, she wrote that “MDOC cannot comment on any specific medical condition or treatment for an inmate.” In another, she referred to patient privacy laws when asked whether a kidney transplant was being considered for Jamie Scott. Regarding transplants for state prisoners in general, Singltary said that “the state would pay for a needed and necessary transplant” and would do so “when evaluated the Dr. as needed [sic].” Singletary added in another message: “Dialysis units are fully operational with no malfunctions documented in the past several years.” She also restated the MDOC’s policy that “chronic, but stable, medical conditions are not eligible for conditional medical release consideration.”

At the Central Mississippi Correctional Center, Jamie Scott’s care is in the hands of Wexford Health Sources, a Pittsburgh-based private company that provides prison medical services. According to information compiled by the Private Corrections Working Group, Wexford’s record includes lawsuits by prisoners and current or former employees in at least four states, as well as allegations involving racial discrimination and improper gifts to public officials. In 2006, the Santa Fe Reporter launched an investigation into Wexford, which supplied health care to New Mexico’s 6,000 prisoners. It discovered widespread complaints about Wexford’s care.

Those who have raised concerns about Wexford include the company’s former regional medical director, the former medical director of Lea County Correctional Facility (LCCF) in Hobbs and numerous former and current Wexford medical employees. Their allegations are all hauntingly similar:

Wexford refuses to fill critical medical positions. Wexford refuses to grant off-site visits for seriously ill inmates. Wexford refuses to renew critical prescription medicine for inmates. And, according to those who worked for the company, and some who still do, the company’s insistence on the bottom line over the care of its charges causes inmates to suffer, sometimes with lasting, even fatal, results.

The investigation prompted hearings on prison health care in the New Mexico state legislature, and in December 2006, after just two years with Wexford, Governor Bill Richardson ordered the New Mexico Corrections Department to find a new health care provider.

Wexford’s reported resistance “to grant off-site visits for seriously ill inmates,” is particularly relevant to the case of Jamie Scott, and the potentially dangerous delays she has experienced before being sent to the hospital. The same issue surfaced in a 2002 case in Pennsylvania, where a 26-year-old prisoner named Erin Finley suffered a fatal asthma attack in prison while under Wexford’s care. According to the Wilkes Barre Times Herald, Finley’s family eventually received a $2.15 million settlement, after their lawyer presented evidence showing that “Finley desperately sought medical care for severe asthma she had had since she was a child, but she was repeatedly rejected based on a prison doctor’s belief that she was ‘faking’ her symptoms.” On the day of her death, Finley was taken to the prison infirmary several hours after complaining that she was having trouble breathing. A physician’s assistant examined her and told the doctor she needed to go to a hospital, “but he refused to see her and left the prison at 2:40 p.m. Twenty minutes later, Finley lost consciousness and stopped breathing,” according to the Times Herald. Finally she was sent to the hospital—only to be pronounced dead.

In Mississippi, where Wexford took over health care for the majority of the state’s prisoners in 2006 under a three-year, $95 million contract, the Jackson Clarion Ledger reported in November 2008 that “a search of the federal court system found more than a dozen open lawsuits filed by inmates against MDOC on medical issues.” At Central Mississippi Correctional Facility–the prison where the Scott sisters are housed—the sister of a dead inmate said she watched her brother waste away for months from inadequately treated Crohn’s Disease, an inflammation of the digestive tract. “He literally starved,” Charlotte Byrd said of her brother William Byrd, who died in November 2008. “We watched him turn into a skeleton.” Byrd told the Clarion Ledger that people might lack sympathy for prisoners like her brother, a convicted rapist, but “Even a dog needs medical attention.” She said she believes that “If they are doing him that way, they are going to let somebody else die, too.”

In fact, Mississippi has one of the highest prisoner death rates in the nation, according to a review of prison statistics carried out by the Jackson Clarion Ledger’s Chris Joyner, and the death rate in 2007 was 34 percent higher than in 2006—the year Wexford took over the MDOC’s medical care. A December 2007 report conducted by the Mississippi Legislature’s Joint Committee on Performance Evaluation and Expenditure Review (PEER) concluded that inmates were not receiving timely and adequate medical treatment from Wexford. Among other things, the PEER report found that Wexford “did not meet medical care standards set forth under its contract with the state,” and that the company “did not adhere to its own standards in following up on inmates with chronic health problems.” When questioned about the report and the high prisoner death rates, the Clarion Ledger reported, Corrections Commissioner Chris Epps “said he is satisfied with the contractor’s performance.” The budget presented by Epps for the coming fiscal year, which begins on July 1, 2010, shows a request of $37.4 million to Wexford for medical services.

In response to questions about care provided by Wexford, MDOC spokesperson Suzanne Garbo Singletary wrote: “Jamie Scott is receiving quality medical care for her condition. Wexford provides basic medical care for all inmates at MDOC prisons. Inmates are sent to hospitals if the need for hospital care arises.” Singletary stated that such decisions are made by the attending doctor at the prison, who is a Wexford employee. Wexford did not respond to requests for comment.

Unpardonable Offenses

Nancy Lockhart, a legal investigator and analyst based in South Carolina, has been working with Evelyn Rasco for several years, organizing a grassroots campaign to secure decent treatment for the Scotts and either a review of their case or some provision for their early release. In interviews last week, Lockhart said that she had helped Rasco appeal to the Obama Justice Department, which informed her that the statute of limitations was up for civil rights claims. They plan to try again, offering proof of earlier letters to the DOJ. They have also organized letter writing and email campaigns to numerous state and MDOC officials, and set up a web site. The Scott sisters’ group of supporters is growing, but they have received no meaningful responses to their pleas.

During her recent visit to Mississippi, Evelyn Rasco had the opportunity to confront Corrections Commissioner Christopher Epps in person when she attended a meeting at the state capitol on prison budget cuts. She spotted the Epps, whom she recognized from his photograph, walked up to him, and told him about her daughter’s poor health and the problems with her medical treatment. According to Rasco, Epps said that he was getting a lot of messages about Jamie Scott, and that he would do what he could obtain a pardon or clemency for the Scott sisters. He told her that he was “giving his word on this,” although he had no power to actually make it happen himself.

The person who could make it happen is Governor Haley Barbour, whose past record on pardons does not bode well for Jamie and Gladys Scott. Barbour, who took office in 2004, was initially known for refusing to grant any pardons. In his second term he changed course–but only for a particular set of offenders. A 2008 investigation by the Jackson Free Press found that Barbour had pardoned or suspended the sentences of five murderers, four of whom had killed their former or current wives or girlfriends. All five men were part of a prison trusty program under which they did odd jobs at the governor’s mansion. Writing in Slate, Radley Balko summarized Haley Barbour’s policy on pardons as “show[ing] mercy only to murderers who work on his house.”

Jamie Scott’s health crisis has also coincided with a protracted struggle between the governor and state legislators over how to handle budget shortfalls. Throughout, the ambitious Barbour, who is talked about as a possible 2012 presidential candidate, has appeared determined to polish his reputation for being both fiscally conservative and tough on crime. With revenue down due to the recession, Barbour implemented a series of deep, across-the-board cuts to state spending in the current fiscal year. Last week the he vetoed a bill that would have restored some of that funding, primarily to education. At the same time, he asked the legislature to put $16 million back into the Department of Corrections budget. “We have the resources to restore funding to our priorities this year,” the governor said in a statement, “including law enforcement and corrections.”

Against opponents who argued that Mississippi already spends more on prisoners than it does on schoolchildren, Barbour held up the specter of what could happen if prison spending was cut: 3,000 to 4,000 inmates would have to be released early. “The threat of convicted criminals on the streets,” the Jackson Free Press wrote earlier this month, “has provided Barbour a rhetorical trump card in budget negotiations.”

Even amidst this kind of rhetoric, it would be difficult to see the Scott sisters as dangerous or violent offenders, although the state of Mississippi went to great lengths to depict them as such. On Christmas Eve of 1993, Jamie and Gladys, then 22 and 19, were both young mothers with no criminal records. They were at the local mini-mart buying heating fuel when they ran into two young men they knew, who offered to give them a ride. Sometime later that evening, the two young men were robbed by a group of three boys, ages 14 to 18, who arrived in another car, armed with a shotgun.

Jamie and Gladys say that they had already left the scene to walk home when the robbery took place, and had nothing to do with it. The state insisted they were an integral part of the crime, and in fact had set up the victims to be robbed. Wherever the truth lies, trial transcripts clearly reveal a the case based on the highly questionable testimony of two of the teenaged co-defendants–who had turned state’s evidence against the Scott sisters in return for eight-year sentences—and a prosecutor who appears determined to demonize the two young women.

Jamie and Gladys Scott were not initially arrested for the crime. But ten months later, the 14-year-old co-defendant–who had been in jail on remand during that time–signed a statement implicating them. When questioned by the Scotts’ attorney, the boy confirmed that he had been “told that before you would be allowed to plead guilty” to a lesser charge, “you would have to testify against Jamie Scott and Gladys Scott.” The boy also testified that he had neither written nor read the statement before signing it. It had been written for him by someone at the county sheriff’s office, he said, and he “didn’t know what it was.” But he had been told that if he signed it “they would let me out of jail the next morning, and that if I didn’t participate with them, that they would send me to Parchman [state penitentiary] and make me out a female”—which he took to mean he would be raped. The 18-year-old co-defendant who testified against the Scott sisters also said he was testifying against the Scotts as a condition of his guilty plea to a lesser charge.

But the prosecutor succeeded in depicting Jamie and Gladys Scott not only as participants in the crime robbery, but as its masterminds—two older women who had lured three impressionable boys into the robbing the victims at gunpoint. (This despite the fact that the oldest of the co-defendants was just a year younger than Gladys, and was driving around with a shotgun in his car.) In his summation, he told the jury:

They thought it up. They came up with the plan. They duped three young teenage boys into going along and doing something stupid that is going to cost them the next eight years of their lives in the penitentiary.

That probably makes me, at least, as mad about this case, simply at least as much, as the fact that two people got robbed. That three young boys were duped into doing the dirty work.

The prosecutor also reminded jurors that while Jamie and Gladys Scott admittedly did not have a weapon, the judge’s instructions “tell you that if they encourage someone else or counsel them or aid them in any way in committing this robbery they are equally guilty.”

It took the jury just 36 minutes to convict the Scott sisters. And while there was a range of possible sentences for the crime of armed robbery, the state asked for—and received—two consecutive life sentences for the Scott sisters. In contrast, Edgar Ray Killen, the man convicted in 2005 of manslaughter in the 1964 deaths of civil rights workers Schwerner, Cheney, and Goodman, received a sentence of 60 years–meted out by the same judge who presided over the trial of Jamie and Gladys Scott. A direct appeal, carried out by the same lawyers who defended them at trial, failed to overturn the Scotts’ conviction.

Because they were tried for a crime committed before October 1994, when even harsher sentencing rules were put in place in Mississippi, the Scott sisters will be eligible for parole in 2014, after they have served 20 years—though there is no guarantee they will receive it. In the meantime, Evelyn Rasco is praying for mercy, for a good lawyer—and for her daughter Jamie to live that long.
      ===================

Please Visit and LINK to: FREE THE SCOTT SISTERS!
      Compassionate Release Appeal: COMPASSIONATE RELEASE FOR JAMIE SCOTT
      Free the Scott Sisters Petition: Gladys and Jamie Scott Wrongful Conviction Case

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Greetings all,

One of the Scott Sisters supporters, Darryl, did a fantastic job of cutting out and
      editing together the 3/6 HLN quick mention of the Scott Sisters on Issues with
      Jane Velez-Mitchell. Let's use this media to get more and more media on
      this case, thank you all very much! [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO_p3tbjy5E[/nomedia]
      -----------

Thanks to Sis. Shakeerah Abdul al-Sabuur for mining this gold on You-Tube,
      here are 4 links to a 2/17/10 interview Charles Evers conducted w/Mrs. Evelyn
      Rasco during her visit to MS (Pts 1 and 2 don't completely focus on the topic).

Part 3 - [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Z41OLjNzQ[/nomedia]

Part 4 - [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EszfKc_-4V4[/nomedia]

Part 5 - [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybr0PHeiiYg[/nomedia] - (Bro. Chokwe Lumumba calls in during this part)

Part 6 - [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7jM5Z8rYZI&feature=related[/nomedia]
      ------

James Ridgeway's fantastic article -- http://solitarywatch.wordpress.com/a...eath-sentence/
      has been picked up by at least two more online publishers, Counterpunch http://counterpunch.org/ridgeway03052010.html and Op-Ed News
      at http://www.opednews.com/articles/Ins...00305-274.html.
      Please freely submit this excellent article to every internet and off-line publication that you are
      able to!
      ----------------

Jamie could use any encouragement that could be offered as she is having
      a difficult time with fear and pain, and please also send Gladys some mail, too,
      whenever you are able. Note that Jamie's address is slightly revised from
      previous.

Jamie Scott #19197
      CMCF
      Area 3, Clinic Bed 7
      P.O. Box 88550
      Pearl, MS 39288-8550

Gladys Scott #19142
      CMCF/B-Bldg.
      P.O. Box 88550
      Pearl, MS 39288-8550

Visit and LINK to: http://www.freethescottsisters.blogspot.com
      Compassionate Release Appeal: http://www.scribd.com/doc/26252282/C...OR-JAMIE-SCOTT
      Free the Scott Sisters Petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/F...dys/index.html
      Free the Scott Sisters Flyer: http://www.scribd.com/doc/22154749/Scott-Sisters-Flyer
      Legal Transcripts: http://www.scribd.com/Scott%20Sisters
      ==================

PLEASE MOVE JAMIE SCOTT TO THE MEDICAL BUILDING!
      COMPASSIONATE RELEASE FOR JAMIE SCOTT, #19197!
      PARDONS FOR BOTH SCOTT SISTERS!

Governor Haley Barbour
      P.O. Box 139

Dorothy Kuykendall
      (601) 359-3150
      P. O Box 3150
      Jackson, MS 39205

601-359-5600
      CEPPS@mdoc.state.ms.us
      Jackson, MS 39202

HOTLINE - 202-353-1555

(601) 359-5610

(601) 932-2880
      P.O. Box 88550
      Pearl, Mississippi 39208

gperry@mdoc.state.ms.us

WE NEED NATIONAL MAINSTREAM MEDIA COVERAGE!!

Please take a moment and fill out Oprah's Contact Form
      and tell her she must do a show on the plight of Jamie and
      Gladys Scott at https://www.oprah.com/plugform.jsp?plugId=220
      Please include a link to Mrs. Rasco's website, http://www.freethescottsisters.blogspot.com

A complete list of the media that we have (feel free to
      send to anyone else that you wish to!) is at
      http://freethescottsisters.blogspot....cy-update.html
      Thanks to the Scott Sisters' supporters for your vigilance! Together we
      will win victory for Jamie and Gladys Scott!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information