Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Moorish Rebel is offline Nkrumah-Tureist

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Black man hung for dating white woman in 2007???

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Will results of hanging probe be accepted?

By Ronnie Agnew
      ragnew@clarionledger.com

It's an e-mail certain to breach the peace of a quiet Sunday afternoon. "Black man found dead, hanging from the porch of his white girlfriend in Mississippi."

The e-mail writer said no press had picked up the story, although the alleged hanging had occurred days earlier, on Jan. 2.

It's not surprising that there had been no press in the death of 25-year-old Sidney Robinson. Police said the Newton County man had committed suicide, which is rarely reported in any media form.

We don't report suicide because it serves no public purpose, exposing the mental vulnerability of a person who has lost the will to live. Only when they occur in public, or involve a public figure, does a sad incident like a suicide make its way into print.

Last Sunday when I received the e-mail, that was the way this case was going to stay, private, only for authorities and family members to share if they chose. That decision was based on what we learned from police.

WE LIVE IN MISSISSIPPI

There was no mention of race being a factor in Robinson's death, only that he was found hanged in the carport of the home of friends.

The Newton police chief said no crime was committed, a statement he knew those grieving his death were likely to challenge. "Sometimes this is hard for folks to accept," Chief Harvey Curry told a Clarion-Ledger reporter. "The pathologists have indicated it was a suicide."

We do live in Mississippi, after all, a state that's in continual defense mode over its segregationist past.

That very fact makes a tragic incident, such as a hanging, fair game for open questioning for some who don't believe a person would take his own life, particularly with a rope around his neck.

Many questions do remain about why a young man such as Robinson would die like this. But until more time is spent investigating the matter, which it should be, it seems even more tragic that the terms of Robinson's life will be open for public inspection - or worse, protests.

What if he did commit suicide? What if he was troubled and people around him didn't pick up warning signals?

Those are legitimate possibilities as the investigation into Robinson's death goes forth. After public outcry last week and because we do live in Mississippi, the state Bureau of Investigation announced it was launching a probe.

INVESTIGATION CONTINUES

William Jenkins, assistant special agent in charge of the FBI in Mississippi, said the probe was being conducted because of the "history of lynchings that have occurred over the last hundred years concerning African Americans."

The investigation is consistent with other hanging incidents in recent years in Mississippi. In 2003, the family of a Kemper County man found hanging from a tree called for an investigation into his death. An autopsy found that the man, who was black, had committed suicide.

The case of Raynard Johnson is arguably the most high-profile hanging incident in Mississippi in the past decade. Raynard, a 17-year-old black kid from Kokomo, was found hanged in 2000.

His death prompted protests, visits to Mississippi by Rev. Jesse Jackson and terrible national press for the state. When it all subsided, an outside autopsy conducted by an out-of-state pathologist concluded that the teen's death was consistent with suicide.

It's much too early to tell if the Robinson case will gain national attention. It's my hope that the case is thoroughly investigated.

But if that truth confirms what has already been determined - as has happened with the other cases - I hope the results will be accepted and the healing process begins.

That's best for the Robinson family and for Mississippi.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...1/1161/OPINION

Thumbs Up/Down

are you sure it wasn't da sisdahs who did it?

Shombay is offline Black Power!!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

What the hell was a Black Man doing dating a white woman in 2007?!?!?!?!

gannibal is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Shombay
      What the hell was a Black Man doing dating a white woman in 2007?!?!?!?!

from my research, in places like texas alabama georgia oklahoma missippi..black men are white girl CRAZY, they dont give a dam if she fat or what..he probably committed suicide

TheBag is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

I hope that's a joke

I think it's perfectly ok for a black man to date a white woman. My dad is actually white, and my mother is black. They are the true couples that suffer the most becuase America is still racist. When it comes to love, it shouldn't matter the skin color. How can we be for peace if we can't understand interracial marriage? It's not a big deal. If you date someone JUST because they're black, then you're just as racist. We shouldn't joke about matters like that. We should try to work with the white race to form peace, not fight them. Yeah, we had a bad ass history with them, where they appeared to be barbarians. Do we want our history to look the same? Let's be better than them without hurting them.
      -peace
      "...he had the courage to die on his feet rather than live one moment on his knees"-George Jackson (referring to his brother Jon Jackson)

Denise X is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by TheBag
      I think it's perfectly ok for a black man to date a white woman. My dad is actually white, and my mother is black. They are the true couples that suffer the most becuase America is still racist. When it comes to love, it shouldn't matter the skin color. How can we be for peace if we can't understand interracial marriage? It's not a big deal. If you date someone JUST because they're black, then you're just as racist. We shouldn't joke about matters like that. We should try to work with the white race to form peace, not fight them. Yeah, we had a bad ass history with them, where they appeared to be barbarians. Do we want our history to look the same? Let's be better than them without hurting them.
      -peace
      THEBAG....

I totally 1,000% do not agree with you. Why would you be on THIS site if you felt that way? Because, and as you can see, most people on here (including myself) would not and do not go for 'IRR's'; so your 'love see's no color' crap won't work with everyone.

I understand you are a Mulatto chick who has the best of both worlds. In fact, I have a Mulatto friend who would share your same sentiments, and we have (or used to have...) HEATED debates about this very subject and she would agree with you. The problem with 'IRR's' that you two fell to realize is that they don't represent what it means to have Black love, and just cuz Black people (like myself) feel that why...why is that racist??? Out of all the things that white people share amongst [each-other] in this very day and age...why arent THEY considered 'racist'? The article in this post proves that [white] will back each-other no matter what. That MAN WAS HUNGED by racist whitey's! Miss. has a HUGE HISTORY in doing things like that, so why would it be hard to believe?

Anyway. White people have no problem putting in OUR face just how quick they will back each other up. It would be interesting to see how the parents of the [white girlfriend] would have to say about Sidney Robinson just to prove my point. When it comes to Black people, however, WE are 'expected' to be the poster children for a perfect, color-blind society when in fact WE are the most hated and envied.

Interracial relationships is just another tool to keep Black people weak. What does it teach young Black kids who are NOT 'Mulatto'?? There is a HUGE identity crisis among Black people (young and old) today already.

Answer this, please. What is a Black man/woman/child to learn from IRR's that they could identify within themselves??
      "Don't Let The World...Change Your Mind" ~~Maurice White Earth, Wind, and Fire ('Be Ever Wonderful'....'All 'N All ' album)

Shombay is offline Black Power!!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

Quote Originally Posted by gannibal
      from my research, in places like texas alabama georgia oklahoma missippi..black men are white girl CRAZY, they dont give a dam if she fat or what..he probably committed suicide
      I feel you family, but like I said, what the hell is a "BlackMan" doing dating a white women! I understand fully why Negroes do it.

AfroFogey is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Good riddance, I say.

Thread Information