Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

TruthBeTold is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

What part of Africa did African Americans come from?Getting mixed answers

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      As of lately ive been looking for an answer to where did black ppl come from in africa , But havn't came to a conclusion, i don't want to just throw a dot a africa and say ok this is where we came from , when my african ancestor's clearly came from West Africa, But what tribe , what spot, we go to africa and its like we just fournier to them, or they just want our money and if we don't have any for them they don't want us there,So i went to a couple of ppl and even they gave me different answers some even said we from Israel and africans sold us so thats why they act that way,and that our lineage comes from our father , and it made me think ok what if a white man took advantage of our ancestor would our lineage go back to him and make us a white man...no answer, then i ask some family members and they were saying something like we have native, and white ancestory, and african..... so whats the use to going to africa, when we so mixed as of ancestory, so what is the answer!!!do i just accept that im a soo called Black American or what

manifestdestiny is offline Administrator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 2/0

Well during the early part of the slave trade they were mostly taken western( North/western or sundanic Africa). However, following the collapse of a huge empire three smaller states began to war and volley for control of central Africa. Seeing this as an opportunity, slave traders took war captives and sold them off. The most slaves taken was from central Africa. I took a Ancient African History course, so my resources are from the text. It breaks down the actual numbers and locations. Just to add, it was basically three main Afrikan ethnic groups taken and shipped to the US.

TruthBeTold is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by manifestdestiny View Post
      Well during the early part of the slave trade they were mostly taken western( North/western or sundanic Africa). However, following the collapse of a huge empire three smaller states began to war and volley for control of central Africa. Seeing this as an opportunity, slave traders took war captives and sold them off. The most slaves taken was from central Africa. I took a Ancient African History course, so my resources are from the text. It breaks down the actual numbers and locations. Just to add, it was basically three main Afrikan ethnic groups taken and shipped to the US.
      what are the names of the three groups??

kobina re is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

uganda we are afropithecus bishopi

Jalili is offline Continuing the Fight

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

http://www.slaverysite.com/Body/maps.htm

This site will give you the break down of places and locations, though you should understand that "tribe" was an European word and had no place in Afrikan language or culture as a whole.
      A large "tribe" that many of us belong to is that of the Mende' from the west Afrikan region of Ghana and Sierra Leone, but as the European greed and laziness grew groups through out the continent were trapped and sold off into the worst crime against humanity in this worlds history.
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...
      But we are young and Black, fearless and free...
      Every poem, every incandescent word is a personal revolution"
      Celeste "ayasha" Golden (my queen rest well and I'll see you when I get there.)
      http://awrittenlifeapoeticsoul.blogspot.com/
      http://justiseverything.blogspot.com/

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 10/1
      Given: 7/0

The Mende, Yoruba, Ibo may be the largest groups from West Africa to the USA. Also there were many from Central Africa too. One easy way is to look at the culture and that'll give it away to who went where. There were people in the USA practicing Vodun and Ifa like religions for 100s of years in the USA both very similar to the systems in Nigeria, Benin, Kongo. Culture will tell you a whole lot. There are many books on the subject please research the slave trade.

History is the best reward for our research.
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

Thread Information